Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Han shoots first

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Han shoots first

Well, it's out. The Star Wars Limited Edition - with the real versions of the original movies as "special features". Apparently they went on sale yesterday and they'll be removed from sale in a month or so. So who's going out and buying them?

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Meh, I've given that bonehead enough of my money over the years.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

This'll be the first time I've actually bought them. Well, actually I also bought the original versions on VHS when I read about a year ago that he wasn't going to release the original versions on DVD and it'd be years before the X0 Project finished their editions. But that was second-hand on eBay (probably more like fourth-hand actually) so it doesn't really count.

4. skihard

skihard Banned

I'll be picking them up this month for one reason, I hate that GL put that Christian Dude in place of the guy that was the original Anikan at the end of the third.

Oh and I have a question, in the third movie when Jabba is pulling the girl with the long things on her head to the pit does her boob pop out of her outfit just before she falls. Every time I see it I think it does but since I’ve gotten the DVD's a kid is always around so I can't pause and frame advance to check

5. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Yes...yes it does. It happens so fast taht even pausing the VSH tape doesn't let you see much. But you can see enough to know what happens.

6. skihard

skihard Banned

alien boobies, how cool is that, he he

7. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, if that's the only reason you can still get the 1999 Special Edition cinematic releases.

So nerd lore would have it - I've never bothered to check.

8. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

I'm waiting for the super deluxe anniversary blue layer DVD box set version. MAYBE, just MAYBE by then it might be worth buying. Probably not. I might wait for the interactive holo-program version.

Not sure about the boob popping out, but you can clearly see nip. You're bound to, considering she's wearing a fishnet bra.

How much money has GL made off the same three movies? I think he should have enough to afford Guatemala.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Are you kidding? He's planning to massively edit it for the blu-ray release.

*Shudder*

10. MadMachine

MadMachine IncGamers Member

I say we should shoot first.

11. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Rip-off

12. Stompwampa

Like the lady in Total Recall with the set of three? :thumbsup:

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

When I saw that again a few years ago I couldn't believe I ever found that effect convincing.

14. Stompwampa

Yea I know. The special effects in a lot of movies from the late 90's are really bad in comparison to today.
    Heck, I was watching Wild Wild West on TV the other evening and I could totally tell what was CGI and what wasn't.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

That wasn't even CGI, I don't know how they got it past me.

I read somewhere that the reason CGI sometimes looks fake on TV where it didn't in the cinema is that the TV (or was it just DVDs?) has a limited colour palette, so while they got the colour-matching right for the big screen it isn't right for the small - subtle colour shifts attract your eye and things seem more fake.

16. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

probably it just always looked crappy and you didn't know better at the time

try watching Mortal Kombat

yech...

atleast Terminator 2 & Jurassic Park still look pretty good

and I'm tempted to get this DVD, just to be rid of the 'episode iv a new hope' and the reverse shooting and the jabba tail stomp but... is there more to come with the 30th anniversary?

edit - oh yea, and they're going to Lucasify Star Trek TOS is that not also horrifying?

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Oh yeah, I heard about the re-releasing of TOS. What a hideous precedent this has made.

I don't know exactly which version this is (it says it's the original cinematic version but from what I read on wikipedia it's actually the laserdisc version) but I think it'll have "Episode IV: A New Hope" on the front anyway. My old VHS version from the 80's does, I think they made that change even before Empire came out.

Apparently some fans are pissed because it's a straight transfer from the laser disc - ie anamorphic or whatever, I don't even know what that means - and it hasn't been cleaned up or anything. If you're a real purist you'll have to wait until the fan project is finished. Personally I don't really care, I'm more worried about the possibility that they used the 1985 remixed soundtracks - the ones that include alternate dialogue (eg, "you're lucky you got out of there" instead of "you're lucky you don't taste so good" when R2 gets spat out on Dagobah and Threepio's voice-over in the scene where the computer is displaying the route to the tractor beam generator).

18. Ash Housewares

from what I have seen it is gone, the change was made in accordance with the re-release that occured when Empire came out

as long as Luke doesn't scream...

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Okay, I just bought it and it does seem to be the actual cinematic release, not the later video release. So no "Episode IV: A New Hope" - how extraordinarily generous of him.

They even got rid of that on the DVD release... only the 1999 Special Edition has it, I think. *Shudder*

20. Ash Housewares

I might go out and buy Star Wars right now, the original only mind you, seeing as how it is imho the BEST of the trilogy and would gain the most from being back in it's original form

so I need some feedback over the next few minutes!

so far so good anyways