Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammers

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Cleglaw_Himself, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Hammers

Well, I just traded for a HOZ and have finally got to see the awesome power of a hammerdin. Got rid of my 111% all resist, 18def shield.
    Amazing. Also amazing what a difference it is to have 75% block!!
    At last I see for myself what all the fuss is about. Pit runs have become a walk in the park, Eldritch and Shenk are dead in seconds. Wow!

One question though:

Is conviction just as good as concentration?
    I point a point in conviction and my hammers seemed to kill at the same rate as conc. despite the ~3K difference in stated damage.

2. Djinni

Djinni IncGamers Member

I can't understand why conviction & hammer would work any better than concentration.

Conviction lowers enemy resists & defence but i don't think either of these change the effectivness of blessed hammer at all although maybe i'm missing something obvious.

Stick with concentration for the synergy bonus :)

3. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

When I find a HoZ, I plan on building a Hammerdin. I guess I'll also need a HotO at some point as well though. That could be harder, ugh... vex. What kind of equipment would you need anyway? I'm guessing something along these lines:

Shako
    GA
    HoZ
    HotO
    Arach
    SoJ's
    Mara's
    Frosties
    Nat's?
    Skill Charms

That's like +13 to skills just there...

4. Cleglaw_Himself

Well, my pala uses:

+3combat, 14 str magic coronet.
    GA
    HOZ (PDiam)
    Crafted casting ammy +1pala, 5%fcr, resist all, etc
    Dwarf star
    Rare ring of mana
    Marrow boots
    Trang's gloves
    Verdungo's 13% belt
    Wizzy

=75% fcr, 90% all resists, 75% block.

I just received a Gul from Hell hellforge. Just need another one to make Vex, then find/trade for a Pul and I'm set for a HOTO. :clap:

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Whoever started the rumor that Hammerdins are only good with godly gear was a fool. The first 1.10 char I made was a Hammerdin. I got lucky and shopped a +3 BH +2 Conc War Scepter, but the rest of my gear was absolute crap, and he killed really well. All you really 'need' (can even get by without them as I did) is a Wizzy and decent % chance to block.

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I have an 83 Pally with 7k Hammers in Classic.....now go count the possible +skills there and look at the gear possible. I could convert him today and smoke xpac!

Hammerdins have been totally freaking ruined they are to damn simple.........

7. sonikki_

sonikki_ IncGamers Member

hehe, i have a +2 pala, +3 hammer and i think +3 meditation weap :) im sticking to it till i finds better.. hammerdins are just insane..

8. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

I agree. My ladder running was primarily done by a hammerdin, and with only +3 skills, he could solo a 6 player hell game act3 onwards.

9. Kelicc

Kelicc IncGamers Member

Yeah, what he said :) My Hammerdin doesn't have HoZ. No HotO. He has a nice rare shield that gives nice resists. He does have Wiz spike. Other than that, nothing special. He still does around 5k damage or so. I don't get why people need certain equipment to build a character. Unless you're just interested in running over everything, maybe? I think most characters can be made without needing the BEST equipment. Give it a try sometime, it's fun :thumbsup:

10. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I hit the WRONG number up there its aorund 6k.

11. RlNDl

RlNDl IncGamers Member

The only thing you will need is to make a pala and know where to put the skillpoints.
    A good player can survive without godly gear. The random + skill that drops or are bought / crafted on the way will be enough.

12. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

I ran an inventory check, and discovered that I had the gear necessary to start a hammerdin, so I started making one. He's level 18 already. Here's the gear I plan on using:

Wizzy
    GA
    Shako
    Moser's
    Frosties/Magefist
    Tearhaunch (+2 Vigor and resists? Pwn)
    T-God's
    Dwarf and Raven
    Perfect Mara's

Once I get him up and running, he should be practically invincible. 90 to all resistances and triple absorb. Getting him that far could be hard of course, it has been so far. I think it will start to get easier once I hit 30 or so and gain access to some of the better caster items like frosties, spirit armor, P crown, etc...

13. Cleglaw_Himself

I never said that hammerdins need godly gear to play. I've never owned godly gear until recently, lol.

My pala used spectral shard for aeons before I got wiz. Also, used 111% resist shield, stealth, lore, magefist, etc, etc.

I got to lvl 76 and put him on hold as he was getting close to death on too many occasions. Due mainly to non-max block. (was the 2nd char I made in 1.10, so my stat points were wrong... - not enough dex, etc). Once I got the HOZ and GA, I brought him off the reserves bench, and now he can face the cursed skele archers no sweat.

14. Hashmalum

Hashmalum IncGamers Member

Well my paly is using
    Wiz
    GA
    Hoz
    Shako
    +2 ammy
    tgods
    raven
    dwarf
    waterwalks
    frost/mage

95 lit/fire, 90 cold/poison, lotta absorb, max block. 7k hammers. what more do u need lol...

15. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Shard
    3 Psaph Helm
    4 sock D Pally Shield
    Stealth
    Rares
    hoepfullt 75 FCR

I will take this and run him hard.......My Pally hit 84 with very similar gear and then I gave him some good stuff. He quested the game (not complete but was not rushed).

Unfortunately anyone can play a Hammerdin, it use to take some varrying skill use and now its just a 1.09 WW Barb type build, absolutely brainless!