Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin's Survivability

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sessily, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Hammerdin's Survivability

I apologize for this short message, but I have to go quickly:

My Hammerdin has 1300 life, 75% Block, 10% DR (from Harlequin Crest), and max resists in Hell. yet, when I step into the pit those archers have me down to 0 hit points in a matter of seconds. nanoseconds if there is a boss or a champion. My hammers do about 6k damage.

Does anyone have any tips in general on how to utilize the Hammers to their best potential? I'm obviously very new to the concept even after soloing through the game.

2. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

Get more dr. Use shaft or ss or something.

edit: you can also cast hammers with redemption on. works sometimes.

3. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

I use Hearld of Zakarum, so I'm not about to just give it away for some extra DR. Shaftstop sounds interesting, can I get a second opinion?

4. Aaroniekins

Aaroniekins IncGamers Member

shaft helps, 35% DR

A big help for my hammer is some sort of tank
    a merc(barb merc or act 2 defiance) makes a GREAT tank

5. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

I have the same set up as you judging by your brief decsription. I have 75% block however and I walk up to them and hammer away and drink purps if needed. Holy Shield is good place to put spare points. If this is not an option, then use the old show and blow technique ;) Walk up till your just inside their max range, start hammering then retreat. What happens most times is that way walk in to the hammers in order to get closer to you :) Works most times for me. This works better if you can get closer but it can be scary if you are not used to trying it. If you are looking for a Pit runner, Hammerdins are good but because hammers have limited range, you run in to probs. You can try a Bone Necro who also has no immune issues for the Pit, but has more flexibilty with Curses, golems, prisions etc.

6. Smack the Pony

Smack the Pony IncGamers Member

A Holy freeze merc is a must down there - sometimes I charge into the mob and switch to hammers and keep redemption going while they fall.... You really don`t need the concentration if you do a solo game.......

If they have some very nasty mods I use a teleport-amu to keep on or else I quit.... Although hammerdins are quit overpowered the pits can be a nuciance sometimes - And for armor I use Skullders when MF`ing the pit, so Shaft is not a valid option here... Instead I use Shako and Verdungo giving 24 % DR.
    Max block, resist and high def is a must here..... My merc use Reapers and thus often trigger decriphy which is a immmense help with the ranged attackers....

7. FistOfHeaven

FistOfHeaven IncGamers Member

As a hammerdin you should have ABSOLUTLY NO PROBLEMS WITH PIT, you just need to play smart until u can get godly equipment, once you are outfitted with godly nothing in the pit can even begin to hurt you. First if its archers that are slaughtering you there are easy ways to counter them, arrows while reasonably fast need to hit you in bulk in order to do alot of damage so if you zigzag with vigor on you can avoid most of the punishment and once u are stopped and spamming hammers your 75%block should stop enough arrows so that you can survive until they are all dead. And as posted Holy Shield is great, it will give high enough defence so that you should deflect 90+percent of the arrows between your defence and your block.

8. Iroqouiz

Iroqouiz IncGamers Member

That's strange Sessily. I have a lot worse gear than you and do about 4000 damage but I rarely, to say never, die in the Pit.

I've got Stealskull, Wizardspike, Mozer's Blessed Circle (socked with two perfect Diamonds), a rare armor (about 800 defense), War Traveler, IK gloves and belt, and I get along just fine. My rings are a SoJ and Raven Frost.

Like others said it helps alot if you get a merc. I decided to go with the HF-merc from Nightmare.

9. Artezul

Artezul IncGamers Member

Maybe you should try walking if you are running around :)

Running: 2/3rd block gone, Def 0.

Agreed, in pits, archers take me down fast if I run around. Walking up to them seems to null much of the prob, as slow as it may seem.

10. probo24

probo24 IncGamers Member

I posted a similar question yesterday.
    Would this ring help with archers, or most ranged attacks:
    (Magic ring)
    101 ar
    lvl 2 confuse 25 charges

Being my first hammer i'm not sure if it's good, although it seems to me it's an option??

11. Eleven

Eleven IncGamers Member

I would recommend using a Def Merc, it helps alot in conjunction with Holy Shield.

12. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

lvl 2 confuse don't last that long and have a very small radius. And it'll be very expensive to recharge.

13. probo24

probo24 IncGamers Member

5.5k/charge to repair (golds not a problem)
    6 sec. duration (plenty of time to spam hammers/recast)
    radius doesn't matter, long as one gets confused the others should attack it, or at least some of them should, no?
    these are nm stats mind you, so for hell id agree with you.
    (but i'm not in hell...yet) :thumbsup:

14. NSXdreamer

Ah I see, since all but one of my char (new avenger) are pat/mat, I just assumed you are talking about hell. :teeth: Go ahead and use it then. But still, personally I prefer walk, charge up, and spam.

15. probo24

probo24 IncGamers Member

ah matty/patty..sorry, im talking about a hcl build so death isnt an option

16. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

#1. You probably have like ..........800 life total.

that is a big issue right there......my pvp libby has no problem in pits even with his mf gear switched on... he has 2.5k life with no battle orders or oak.

#2. this is y i charge. Charge takes out those pesky zons in pits in one hit.

#3. you may need more FhR. at least get somewhere near 60-80

#4. get a stash of pots..hey help alot...when u need em just :drink: chug.

17. De4dEyE

De4dEyE IncGamers Member

Get a ravenfrost if you don't have one already, absorb helps.

18. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

You want to know the big secret to beating this game solo untwinked?

Can't stress it enough. There is absolutely no shame in using pots. Remember, you can't leech so pots are the main way to gain back lost life. Even my uber Hammerdin needs to chug some red or even purples when things get real ugly.

And don't forget when firing hammers: stop 'n pop !! (actually, its move, stop, fire, move stop, fire ...)

19. shidenx

shidenx IncGamers Member

When i started my hammerdin i faced the same problem as you in hell pits. Only when i had my merc leveled to my level , gave him shaft, vamp gaze and a reaper's toll.

My freeze merc was the real hero! Charging into those archers, decepify them and butchered the supporting archers when i moved in one on one with the unique champion.

Would'nt have made it to 92 without my freeze merc. =)

20. NSXdreamer

So what? I always got the feeling that people thinking softcore is inferior to hardcore. :\ I got all my char to finished game without death, but real life is too busy to alow me to make a fresh one everytime I didn't pay enough attention to the game.