Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin Strategy Help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by TheAlfheim, May 8, 2005.

1. TheAlfheim

TheAlfheim IncGamers Member

Hammerdin Strategy Help

Hi All,

I'm returning after a bit of a break from D2, and Ive decided to make my first hammerdin. Alls going well, except for one little thing:

When fighting, groups of monsters are dispatched with ease, but if one slips through, he can sit there, hitting at me all day - my hammers wont touch him.

Ive tried facing in all 9 different directions, but they just dont hit. My only option (that Ive found) is to throw down some hammers, run, throw down some more - and repeat until that last monster is dead. I end up using about the same effort to kill that one monster as I do the entire pack.

Is there any strategy or tip which can help get me around this?

Many thanks
    TheAlfheim

2. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

Get a mercenary I guess so he can kill whatever is left after your hammers have done their job.

3. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

From my experience, most hammerdins use enigma, they just tele next to the last monster than either let merc take care of it or cast hammers.

4. Saint Sinner

Saint Sinner Banned

Ummm, well if you have an enigma, teleport on top of the monster and dispatch of him...if you dont have an enigma...just cast some hammers and walk away and lead him into them... :thumbsup:

5. TheAlfheim

TheAlfheim IncGamers Member

G'day Guys,

Looks like I was on the right track. There's no real "better" way of doing it.

Now all I need is an enigma :D

Cheers!
    TheAlfheim

6. Thynqikan

Thynqikan IncGamers Member

I personally just switch to melee mode and whack it dead. If it is a physical immune you have to hammer and move away, as it follows you it will be hit by the back end of your hammer swirl and die.

Thynqikan

7. ddevil

ddevil IncGamers Member

I'm actually opening up shop again myself. Hope to start my Hammerdin again soon. I'm sorry if my solution is what you meant when you said, "throw down some hammers, run, throw down some more", but the way I deal with one monster is to use the spell like a melee weapon.

Muscle memory tells me the hammers always come out at about the paladin's 10 o'clock, and spiral from there. (If I'm wrong about this, simply note where the hammer comes out and adjust accordingly.)

When you've got that one monster chasing you, simply orient yourself such that he is charging right at your 10 o'clock.

Depending on how fast the monster is,

- If he's slower, dash a little ways away, and time your release so that you let fly right as he catches up and winds up to swing. You can even just start spamming the hammers until you get the timing down (as this will depend on your cast rate as well). Then, if you stun him, keep hammering. If you don't, dash again and wait for him to catch up again.

-If he's faster then you, you can just keep running, and whenever he gets in right up on you, just tap shift to lay out a hammer and keep moving. Unless, of course, you stun him. Then just keep laying it down.

The only time you're ever really **** out of luck is when they're super fast and aren't stunned, since they'll almost always be able to score a hit before you get off the hammer *and* set to running again. Or if you're in a spot where you can't maneuver, like the opposite diagonals in the Arc Sanc.

You're effectively meleeing the monster without having to turn around, so you can stick-and-move.

I hope this helps! Thanks for giving me the chance to run my mouth!