Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin: so how do i aim these hammers?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Amburn, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Amburn

Amburn IncGamers Member

Hammerdin: so how do i aim these hammers?

Title says most of my question.

Trying my 1st Hammerdin. At level 23 I can see the potential of him but it still seems odd to play and control.

The hammers appear to begin their circling arc around me and work their way outward...yet i can target a monster on the other side of the room. Do i just patiently wait for the spiral to work its way out and reach the monster?
    Is there a way to start the swirling and then move myself so the arc finds its target? What am I missing here.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

It's basically a matter of practice, practice, practice. You can hold down shift and send out hammers as you stand in one place and wait for groups to come to you. That's what I usually do. Then you can pick off individual monsters by running up to them and trying to position yourself to hit them as it first spirals out. Holding shift is the key usually. It sounds tiring but it becomes second nature after a while. I had a hard time with it at first but now it's easy. Just be patient.

3. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

you better have a lot of mana and a lot of mana potions because the hammer eats mana faster than anna nichole smith can eat burgers.

4. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

This is very true but don't go crazy with points in energy. Wiz spike (easy to get) and shako (little tougher but not impossible) will give you a big mana boost and make sure you put one point into redemption (or whatever the aura is that turns corpses into life and mana) because that will help a lot and save you tons of agravation. I'd says shoot for about 500 mana in full gear and you'll be fine. This (along with the resists) is one of the main reasons I actually prefer wiz spike to HotO for my hammerdin.

5. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

If you can stand the attacks of the monsters, or especially if you have an Enigma, just teleport RIGHT IN FRONT of the monster, on the bottom side of it (or South side, of the monster), and start casting hammers.

This is what I do with my hammerdin all the time, and is the way that works best, because if you look at how the hammers come out from the char, they come out the "North" side of it.

6. Amburn

Amburn IncGamers Member

Thank you for the replies and advice. What does "HotO" refer to?

7. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Heart of the Oak runeword:

Note that where it says maces, it means only flail-type weapons.

8. Asylla

Asylla IncGamers Member

I plan on using a wiz spike as well. Cheaper by far (understatement, heh) Right now I am a lvl 50 Hammerdin and have no points invested in energy. I rarely have problems with mana, just redemption (?) every once in a while.

If you are on east nl, I *think* I have an extra wiz spike you can have. I'd have to check.

9. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

you have to build it right too. You will have hammer as your left-click, meaning to cast you will just hold down shift. your aura will be concentrate. You max concentrate, hammer, vigor, and crap... i cain't think of the other synergy right now. But thats pretty much all you do. You will be owning monsters easily doing 4k per hammer.

10. spastik303

spastik303 IncGamers Member

Blessed aim is the other synergie.

11. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

By the way, while you can hold shift while casting hammers with the left-click, you can also just click on a monster, while casting the hammers. You character will stay on one place, while casting them.

12. freakzoid

freakzoid IncGamers Member

Hmm...just a quick question, will the hammers follow me if i move around? just like the wind druid?

13. ImmortalChicken

ImmortalChicken IncGamers Member

The beauty about hammers is that it DOESNT follow you. It has an advantage over wind druids because you can cast hammers, run in the other direction of the monsters and they'll be lured right into your hammers without ever posing a risk to you. I use that tactic when fighting ranged attackers such as archers, venom lords , gloams etc. Very effective.

14. SHouston

SHouston IncGamers Member

No they won't. Another strategy in fact, is to make a field of hammers then step out of it and have the monsters run into it.

DOH! ImmortalChicken is a faster typer than me ;)

15. Fettuchini

Fettuchini IncGamers Member

I find that hammers emerge at about the 10 o'clock position, so position yourself below and slightly to the right.

Hard to run to this position sometimes because when you try to click there you easily click the Monster instead and so cast a hammer.

--M---
    ---P--

16. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

If you hold down Alt (to show the items on the floor), you should be able to click near a monster without attacking it.

17. Burnt_toasty

Burnt_toasty IncGamers Member

A correct Hammerdin build does NOT invest points into energy. Read the faqs there in the PAlly forum and you'll learn why.

18. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Correct. Good gear will be enuff to give U the mana U need.

Also, don't forget to use redemption ;)

19. GameFellow

GameFellow IncGamers Member

A couple of suggestions I'd like to offer...

Don't underestimate the value of a good mercenary. Really good for killing monsters that like to hide in corners and crevices.

Also, if you haven't already, set up your most used skills on your 'hot keys' so you can switch auras/skills quickly. Makes game play and control a lot easier.

20. Deceit

Deceit IncGamers Member

I use a necro on nl west, ive found that using a wizy compared to a hoto will save your life 50% more than use a hoto. wizy 4 life who needs some vexed up item....