Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin Questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ashmer Amadeus, May 20, 2008.

1. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

Hammerdin Questions

I'm working on a hammerdin, and I've got a few questions.

I believe 125 fcr is the max for a hammerdin. How important is it to have that amount. This is what I was thinking of for gear

Helm: Shako
    Weapon: Wizard Spike
    Shield: Herald of Zakrum
    Armor: Guardian Angel
    Weapon2: CTA
    Shield2: Spirit
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves: Magefist
    Amulet: Seraphs Hymm
    Ring1: ??
    Ring2: ??

This gives me a total of 70fcr. Is that enough? I could use a spirit shield full time. Or maybe just gamble some fcr ring? I think I will have six LB skillers so I should have plenty of +Skills. Just want to make sure everything else is taken care of. Also, would it be worth my while to put a weapon with CB on switch and put a point into zeal as a way to kill bosses? And while I don't anticipate having many extra skill points, would defiance be a good place to put them? Many thanks all.

2. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

Re: Hammerdin Questions

You'll want another 5 fcr to reach the 75 breakpoint. If you can get to 125 without sacrificing anything important to you (a skill point or two, some mf...) go for it. Faster damage is always better.

For rings, probably a Ravenfrost for CBF? The other could be a rare with fcr to reach the 75 breakpoint. If you want to go for 125, a 2 skill 20 fcr amulet would be nice (and expensive).

Having some CB on switch wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know if you'll want to waste any points getting zeal when you'll already have smite (which will transfer crushing blows and, iirc, doesn't miss).

Defiance or Holy Shield is generally where spare points are spent.

3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

That setup gives you 90 FCR. heh.

4. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

You've got more than 70 FCR listed there.

IIRC, the next-to-last pally breakpoint is at 75 FCR. Both that and 125 work well, IMO. Although I'd personally go for a little more +skills in a 75 FCR setup. Anything in-between is a complete waste.

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I think 75 is a casting breakpoint, so it would definitely make sense to have at least 1 FCR ring with your planned setup. (edit: or, reading above posts, maybe not :p)

I think I went with 75 FCR on my MF-hammerdin, and didn't complain. I didn't try for 125, but I'm not convinced it would be a huge improvement. (Still, I like 200 FCR sorcs a lot better than 105 FCR sorcs, so maybe it would be better after all...)

On lower settings, I didn't have any real problems killing bosses with hammers. Switching doesn't seem significantly faster to me, and if you want a 'utility-switch' like a CtA, a Naj's Puzzler, or maybe even an MF-boost, you can get by with just the hammers ok (not necessarily "great", but definitely "ok").

As for the remaining skillpoints, HolyShield & synergies seem like a better fit to me. I often like to have redemption and meditation too, which can eat up a few points, and if you plan to face much for undead, I think Sanctuary is also a very good idea.

6. TheSupercrab

TheSupercrab IncGamers Member

FCR is really important. When i first built my hammerdin i only went for 75 FCR, which was alright. However i found that when i changed to 125 my killing power/ease of play increased dramatically.

35 from spirit
    50 from Wizzie
    20 from Aracnids
    20 from trangs/mage fists

the rest of ur gear is identical to mine :).

7. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

i was another 125fcr convert. definitely feel much safer having more hammers in the air and more likely for monsters to enter the killing radius and get hit..

and i recommend the cb switch on bosses if you don't like the hassle of positioning yourself around the boss.

8. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

Corpses will probly be used for CE, as this will be a MP charicter. I'm hoping Wizzy plus shako plus insight will help will any mana issues. I supose if I want 125 fcr I have a few options. GA could become skins, gaining 30 fcr. HoZ could be Spirit, gaining upto 35fcr. Are there any boots with fcr? Silkweaves or something? I could also trade for a +2/20 fcr circlet or amulet, although I doubt I have the wealth for something like that. Extra points may go into smite. I didn't know that CB transfered. Hammers are a pain to aim. Might just try smiting the crap out of bosses. Between the necros decrep and smite KB, it shoudn't be too hard. I wll take a look at my stashes and see what I can come up with for FCR gear. Thanks all.

9. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

If you want to do some boss killing, try smite and 1 pt fanaticism. The only regret I have with my hammerdin is the trouble I have killing P8 Lister; everything else is a joke.

10. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Sadly, none that I know of.

It does, and very effective at that I heard. :smiley:
    Smite is: ITD, and Unblockable, too.
    Downside, no leech. So Life Tap is important to have. But since we're talking about Hammerdins, potions would be a better option.

--maxgerin

11. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I use

Shako, +2 combat/15%FCR/10dex crafted ammy, Skin, HOTO, HOZ, Magefist, Arachnid Mesh, WT, rare Mana/Str ring and Ravenfrost on mine to get 125% FCR.

Should be lost easier if you play RWM and use spirit though.

12. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

yep. none.

Maybe. I liked using Drac's on my hammerdin... the +Life per Kill is kindof like leeching for casters... and if you're needing LifeTap... :wink2:

(using Drac's makes it a little harder to hit 125 FCR though)

13. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Seconded. And you'll mainly be using smite against stuff like Baal, who doesn't hit that hard. Potions should definitely suffice, I think.

And a minor nitpick: smite isn't ITD, it's auto-hit.