Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin pvm tactics

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Ali Babarian, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Ali Babarian

Ali Babarian IncGamers Member

Hammerdin pvm tactics

My Hammerdin is now in Act 1 Nightmare and I'm struggling to deal with things like archer boss packs. They are really good at dodging hammers as they constantly run away/around, or knocking my life down very quickly if I stop running about to spam hammers. Are there any specific tactics to deal with the "cowardly ranged attacker" type of enemy?

As far as my build goes it's just your average Hammerdin hitting the 75FCR and max resists. His damage output is great - when it actually hits. His tank abilities aren't great though and I got 2-shotted by NM Smith. Is that normal?

2. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

Re: Hammerdin pvm tactics

Sounds like your defense, blocking, or resists must be low. Do you have Holy Shield? Also, don't run around as it leaves you wide open to getting crushed. Walk when there are enemies around. When it comes to fleeing monsters all you can do is walk toward them a little, spam a few hammers, walk toward them some more, spam some more, etc. It's frustrating, but eventually Enigma and teleport will solve the issue.

3. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

I never made it that far with my Hammerdin. I got pissed off in Act V with the imps. I don't like hammerdins for that reason. Not a great sp build... I play sp so yeah. But if you can try to walk away. They follow you. Then walk and SPAM. Eventually it works. Or do the above tactic. Your choice.

4. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

The Smith can rip you apart in just about any mode lol

The closest alternative to telestomping is to try Charging into the Unique, it'll cause the pack to disperse, then pick them out individually.

-Kinky

5. Ali Babarian

It seems to have been a defense issue. I got Holy Shield which improves things a lot, and also an Iron Pelt armor whose PDR/mPDR/550 defense is great. Now I'm sitting at 2,000 defense and 71% block with Holy Shield on. I'd love to get to 75% block but I hate putting points in Dex.

My shield isn't really much of an "endgame" shield, it's a Heraldic Shield with 40% blocking, +29% resists and a Spirit runeword. So 75% blocking with that might end up being >75% blocking with a real shield (If I can ever find one).

What amount of Dex do most Paladins stop at, given "enough for your shield to max block" doesn't really work for me since my shield is probably not the shield I'll be using later on, and I dont actually know what shield I will be using later on (probably another Spirit but in a better shield... it's really up to what drops and there's no way to predict that.)?

6. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

I'd go for max block with what you have, if/when you find better, respec :).

Either that you use some dex gear/charms which can be replaced when you get a better shield.

7. Ali Babarian

So I just got lucky and Skins Of the Vipermagi dropped. With it I can reach the 125% breakpoint if I swap it for my Iron Pelt, and swap my Manald Heal ring for some kind of FCR ring. Does passing the 125 breakpoint make a big difference, big enough to be worth losing all that PDR/mPDR/defense?

8. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

try it out, certainly a damage boost

9. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

125fcr will mean you doing more damage, so hopefully things will die faster and as they say attack is the best form of defense. However this may not be the case you are dying too quickly, give the viper a go and see how it pans out :)

10. Ali Babarian

An evening of NM Mephisto Runs has netted me all this slightly less junky stuff, among a heap of total junk:

Skins Of The Vipermagi with 31% res
    Peasent Crown
    Ethereal Shaftstop (looks like good Merc armor to me)
    34% MF ChanceGuards
    Goblin Toe
    Lidless Wall
    Magefist x 2 (2 in a row, what were the chances of that?!)
    Saracens Chance
    Spectral Shard (seems like a less good version of WizardSpike)
    Venom Grip
    Tal's Mask, Belt, and Orb

Is there a lot more to be gained running NM Meph or should I move on to some other MF spot (Act 1 Hell is as far as I've got)?

11. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Take a look at what TCs NM Meph can drop from and what you could potentially get from him.

The eth Shaftstop deserves an upgrade, and the Tal helm is a great choice for a merc as well.

If you're bored with NM Meph, give NM Baal a try, and then the Pit on Hell.

12. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

If possible hell cs is the gold mine to go for, drops beat other lvl 85 areas and better xp too. Just a bit hard to maneuver river without tele

13. Ali Babarian

NM Baalruns seem reasonably easy. Lister is nasty though, and he kills my Merc every time. And Gloams and Oblivion Knights are problematic. Perhaps I should just be Vigor Running through the whole WSK... but I have a feeling that's suicidal.

I think once I get bored of Baal I might try running the Mausoleum in act 1 Hell. It's level 85, it's all Undead so my hammers get a damage bonus, and there's no Archers. How does it rate next to the Pit?

14. Frostadin

The Mausoleum in Hell mode is a great place to get high end drops without end game gear. As a Hammerdin the layout sucks, tight passages mean your hammers aren't as effective. I'm sure you're used to that, but it's still a pain. Other than that, it's pretty small and slow to get to, but IMO it provides the best opportunity to build wealth for an underpowered build just entering hell mode.

Hell Countess is a good place too, you almost always get runes and Terror Keys are and added bonus. If your defense is decent and you have a Holy Freeze merc, simply use Vigor and run past everything to level 5. If not, then hammer your way through each level.

15. Ali Babarian

Mausoleum is turning out to be pretty easy, I can do it on p8. Merc died as usual though. Wish I could get the Holy Freeze but without the idiot who carries it. He ruins all my tactics by charging on ahead straight into that pack of Cursed, Extra Strong, Aura Enchanted Zombies.... perhaps a cold version of one of the Iron Wolves from Act 3 would be less suicidal?

I found Waterwalk boots which I'm rather pleased with, and Titans Revenge Javelin. Typical that I find class-specific Amazon stuff, shame it wasn't HoZ...

In level 85 areas, what is the main focus in terms of getting drops, the normal monsters, the random bosses, or the chests?

16. Frostadin

The best drops in level 85 areas will come from champions, random bosses, random uniques, and their minions as they get 3 added to the area level so they can drop the elusive TC87 stuff. I'm not saying the the normal monsters are bad, they just can't drop as high a level. You can still build good wealth off the normals and the chests.

17. NoisemakerArrow

Why would drops in CS beat other 85 areas?

18. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Theres Dia and the three seal guys for bonus drops

19. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

Plus a buttload of mobs, always the same (no gloams or dolls to surprise you), and with the change to IM its relatively merc safe.

20. NoisemakerArrow

But that's not a drop argument.

WSK has 5 Superuniques instead of 3 and an even bigger TC boss, and most of the monsters are junk skeletons, Trang-Oul wearers, blowdart midgets, Kurast guys and those floating things that don't fight back.