Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin not what I hoped for (or am I doing it wrong) if

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by HartleySan, Oct 11, 2010.

1. HartleySan

HartleySan Diabloii.Net Member

Hammerdin not what I hoped for (or am I doing it wrong)

Just started a SP Hammerdin. This is my first Hammerdin, and perhaps I'm not doing things right, but I'm at level 26, with 1 point in Blessed Hammer, 6 in Vigor and Blessed Aim, and 9 (I think) in Concentration. I've been playing on /players 8 the whole time, and I just beat Duriel.

I was able to beat Duriel without dying, but it was a chore. For some reason, I was thinking that my Hammerdin should be owning more, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone have any advice, or can perhaps tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything)? Thanks.

2. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Hammerdin not what I hoped for (or am I doing it wrong)

Level 26 is too early to start evaluating a build. A lot of them don't even get points into their main skill until lvl 30.

3. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

It is also time to start putting more points in BH itself. The increase in damage outweighs the increase in mana cost.

Deuterium likes this.
  4. HartleySan

Okay. So, I guess there's no set path for a Hammerdin, but about how many points should I put in BH, and at which point should I go back to Concentration and/or Vigor and BA?

5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Deuterium likes this.
  6. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah you gotta go hardcore on the bh lol, like +3 bh scepter, smash all em points in there. that is if you want the damage. i never understood the mana complaints - with blue pots e everything goes down in no time

7. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

I dont remember how I put my skills, but I quess it was sth like that
    Code:
    lvl  Skill
    1    None
    2    Might
    3    Smite
    4-5 Saved
    6    Holy Bolt
    7-11 Saved
    12   Charge, Blessed Aim
    13-17 Saved
    18-23   BH, Conce
    24   BH, Conce, HolyShield
    25   BH, Conce
    26   BH, Conce 
    etc.
    Max BH First, then Concentration, then synergies. I dont know what gives you more Hammer damage - Concentration or Synergy, but boost to your merc's damage is huge and worth going Concentration first.

This is the way I did it when playing 1.10. Now I'd abuse the respec system. Sacriface early on into Zeal, then respecing when I feel my hammers will be powerful enough (27 is very good level to do that, your merc can equip "Insight" runeword, and you can equip double "Spirit" (runeword in sword and pala shield).
    When untwinked I'd go hammerdin from the start - for me its better to save the respec.

EDIT: the max damage route makes a lot of sense, gonna try it someday. For untwinked I'd still go Concentration - merc with aura = happy pala.

8. maxicek

9. HartleySan

Alright, so Zeal until about level 27, and then respec with a lot into Concentration and BH? Speaking of which, what merc is best? Thanks.

10. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

No no no, i believe that is totally unoptimal - hammers rock the ground from 18 onwards - just need a decent scepter(like +3 bh) to give them a bit of a boost at low levels - and if twinked(aka +1 amu, fcr rings, steelclash) blessed hammer is the best possible option at 18 anyway (except 1.09 raven or stuff like that..)

11. maxicek

I played hammers from lvl 18, it is very do-able. Long time ago though now. Shop for a scepter with +3BH. Sigon's Shield helps too. Once you hit clvl25 (I think it is 25), Spirit sword and paladin shield. Lore and Vipermagi, an amulet with +skills and you should have enough gear to get through NM. Use an A2 Combat (Prayer) merc with Insight until you hit NM, then switch to Holy Freeze.

12. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Beat me to the punch. That guy really really REALLY knows what he's talking about.

I just started one, got him to early NM with some twink gear - but it's not really needed, I just load up on MF gear and go to town. It's silly how easy and huge the damage is.

His gear and skill recommendations are pure unadulterated win, my guess is anyone in this thread with any problems leveling a hammerer simply missed your link.

13. baqarah

baqarah Diabloii.Net Member

Dont respec to zeal! Its pointless now. The main thing about the zeal route is to lvl up faster. Just play with him, lvl up and dump every point you can into BHammer. Or you can respec and distribute skill points the way its described in one of the maxicek's links.
    The main thing about early hdin is his mana pool. Several hammers and youre empty. This is way level 27 is crucial - your merc can equip Insight which is GREAT, because it provides you with almost infinite mana.

14. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

Sidenote: why do people insist on staying at p8 at all times? Bosses don't give *that* much more xp at p8 and are a huge bit more of a pain that way, than say, p3.

At p8 continuously you'll be a bunch more levels ahead of the monsters you're fighting most of the time (some offshoot dungeons like The Den, Tower Cellar etc excepted), meaning you'll be spending a ton of time fighting for not very much xp. Much better to massage the players setting continuously to stay at about +4 to +5 levels ahead of the area level as explained on:
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level

Not meaning to criticize, just trying to spread information. If p8 continuously is what you prefer, then by all means go for it. I'm usually at p5 unless I'm ahead of the curve when I drop it to p3 (bosses, too) or stuff I don't like (Maggot Lair aaaaaAAAAAAAH players1!).

15. HartleySan

Yeah, I know what you mean by the "derned" Maggot Lair. Anyway, since I'm not very far, I think I will restart my Hammerdin, and do the following:

- For the most part, keep players around 5, and lower it for bosses and the Maggot Lair.
    - I will follow the guide Maximum Damage Hammerdin 1.10 - A Mathematical Approach by captain_bogus for skill point distribution, etc.
    - Since I'm playing SP and don't have access to awesome items from the start, it'll be slower, but I'll more or less follow the guide noted in my previous point.
    - I'll pick up an Act 2 NM merc when I get there with Holy Freeze. (By the way, which ones have Holy Freeze?)
    - Also, until I get the Act 2 NM merc, which merc should I use?

If I missed anything major, please let me know. Would like to avoid restarting my Hammerdin, if possible. It's not that it's a huge waste of time if I do, but my free time is very limited these days, which is why I'd rather confirm everything here first, before actually restarting my Hammerdin. "Measure twice, cut once," right?

Anyway, thank you all for your mountains of awesome advice and quick responses. This is a great forum, and I hope that with time, I can give a little something back.

16. Pär

Pär Diabloii.Net Member

google "diablo 2 mercenaries" or just search the wiki on this website for "mercenaries"

I find the normal act 2 defensive guys work ok for my melee chars til I get to NM and can make a decision on what I like best

there's no need to restart if you can respec - you get one free respec after completing The Den quest in Act 1 in each difficulty

Just one word about that guide though - it was made by someone who's experienced and a very skilled player. I'm not that good, so I take my time and since I'm poor and I only play Hardcore I hung out in Normal and did a bunch of Baal runs just for fun and profit for a while - his leveling advice is geared toward people on B.net mostly, iirc.

...funny thing about this forum - it's by FAR the most helpful and respectful community I've ever seen in gaming or internetting. The WoW forums by comparison... ugh.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  17. Brutass

Brutass Diabloii.Net Member

Go the Max Damage Hammerdin approach as already suggested. That's the one I use and he does indeed kick ***

18. HartleySan

Good points, Par. Thank you. Well, I already "wasted" my respec on an experiment of sorts, which failed miserably. Live and learn. It's not that big of a deal, anyway. Thank you.

19. maxicek

Prayer because of the synergy when you use insight.

20. HartleySan

So the normal A2 Combat mercs have the Prayer aura, and the NM A2 Defensive mercs are the Holy Freeze ones?