Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin key runner - armor (str) or vitality?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by fahartle, Oct 30, 2006.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Hammerdin key runner - armor (str) or vitality?

Hello everyone. I'm really wracking my brain on a new design for a hammerdin that I plan on using almost exclusively for key running. Countess and Arcane are a walk in the park, but I'm worried about getting popped by a couple of CEs around Nith (or the freakin vipers).

I'm going to build a fairly standard hammerdin with all the usual suspects (magic find, no consideration). My main question, as it affects a number of other equip choices, is whether for my enigma I should shoot for low str (using a 3os Mage Plate I have) and a normal Hoz? Or should I pump str a bit more so I can equip a high def superior elite armor and an upped Hoz that I have on hand?

I've never played a hammerdin before, but what I've gathered is that they are immensely powerful at later stages. It sounds as if I'll have the damage needed to kill all three key suspects and their minions with little trouble as long as I don't get spanked by damage spikes in the Halls. So I'm wondering if the attributes are better spent into vitality or strength (assuming no mana and only enough dex for max block with holy shield and HoZ). Thanks!

2. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

Hmmm, i prefer to go with all vit hammerdin builds. Use a LP or BP nigma and a torch and/or anni and your set. Once you equip all of your stuff, your life should be huge, and block is not necessary as long as you have some fhr charms. With your +stats and holyshield active, you should be getting close to max block without spending any points into dext whatsoever. Lets see, if you have a perf stat anni and torch, and your using hoto (given) then thats +50 to dext, add on another +20 from a ravenfrost and you have +70 to dext. Add 20 base dext and you have 90 dext right there (with holyshield, i heard you needed around 100-110 dext in order to achieve max block, so you woudl be close).

3. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

i put in 10 str into my pali (and it's good enough for me) mageplate works just perfect against nihl, get a merc and use a natures peace I think natures peace is really what is saving me.

this way the CE doesn't kill me, but on some odd occasions those damn vipers get the best of me

4. hyaccent

hyaccent IncGamers Member

i use natures peace ring on my hammerdin pally and with nihl is so easy cuz he cant use CE i suggest not having a hire with u cuz if he kills nihl can CE them

5. JinXX

JinXX IncGamers Member

i would have to agree. with a peace ring and no merc, nith is so easy its kinda sad. i myself use a hoto and a perfect spirit shield with good resists instead of a HoZ, the fast cast and xtra mana means more to me than 2 to skills.

6. JinXX

JinXX IncGamers Member

woops , double post

7. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

ya... nith is the easiest with a peace ring

8. mythos

mythos IncGamers Member

^^i agree with this. hoto (40) spirit (35) spider (20) trang glove/magefist (20) 1 fcr ring/nat peace and you're set. 125fcr is much better than 75fcr. If you're on a budget use wiz spike and drop the fcr ring.

9. Pom Shadd

Pom Shadd IncGamers Member

Before being hacked, my lvl 92 hdin had standard (but not spectacular) gear, and was played pretty much exclusively for mf: hoto, goldwrap, chancies, war travs, enigma ap, hoz (ist), shako (pdiamond), sojs x2 (no natures peace), low maras (21 i think), low ptorch, low anni, no pcombats, 40% gheeds, and all mf scs (ranging from 4-7%, none with useful prefixes).

I mention this because i think natures peace, while nice, is hardly necessary: I could easily solo nith in full baal games (finished him at least by the time a2 minions spawned). I kept my merc alive for his insight aura as much as possible, and i had to down a few full juvies, but it was hardly problematic. Also, doing nith in full games gets you keys way faster: I found probably an average of 1 every 3-4 games, and sometimes 2-3 at a time.

10. fahartle

Great, thanks guys!! I think I'll get enough strength for the 3os Mage Plate I have and go with that.

A followup question... I love the idea of keeping a merc for the insight aura (all those potions and you gotta take a leak behind Charsi every game . . . you know how it is). Is there any way to get a slain monsters RIP on him besides Tyrael's? That's way out of my budget. What about using a normal polearm like a scythe or voulge so he doesn't have any damage to speak of? I hear gladiator's with a Sol and a 3os helm with three Sols work well against the vipers?

11. RoXoR

RoXoR IncGamers Member

ya i like pdiamond shakos too
    -dmg will save ur merc vs vipers :p

12. tycIbn

tycIbn IncGamers Member

nature's peace? psssh. if you need that then remake your hammerdin.

just teleport next to nith. spam hammers with concentration for 2 seconds. then switch to redemption, if nith does use ce, the redemption will refill your health and take away the corpses. nith is dead, your alive, a key is on the ground, and your merc is needlessly chopping away at whatever monster is left... its a happy time.

13. fahartle

Hey, that's a nice trick! Hadn't thought of redemption. Well, I picked up a nature's peace ring a week ago, but I'd rather save my ring slots for SOJs if I can. Thanks!