Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hammerdin and ranged attackers

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by sorcees, Feb 4, 2004.

1. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

Hammerdin and ranged attackers

My hammerdin is now in act1 HELL, in NM it was not a big issue, but i am a little affraid of ranged attackers, gloams and archers, they are normally out of range from my hammers, so i have to close in on them.
    My merc is a HF act 2.
    Max block and decent resistence in HELL (43, 25, 54, 18).

Can you give me some hints and tips how to get rid of these?

CU.

2. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

First, max those resists <g>

A couple things that you can do when fighting range attackers is to walk, not run, until you are in range (when running your chance to block is much, much lower then walking)

The Sanctuary runeword in a pally only shield, with some resistance on it before you add the runes can give you over 100% resist all and it comes with charges for slow missile. I do not know alot of people that use that, but for my hammerdin, I love that skill, and it helps alot IMHO.

Another thing you can do is to get items that add defense to missiles. Again, the sanctuary runeword adds an extra 250 defense vs missiles, so again, it is a great option for this, but there are alot of other items that can do that for you as well.

3. BartXeno

BartXeno IncGamers Member

What MeBrutox said, plus, since you should be maxing Vigor for the synergy bonus, you can switch to vigor and run in a curving path into the middle of a ranged pack nail the Shift key to come to a dead stop, switch to concentration and let the hammers fly. I use this tactic most of the time now since I'm usually doing mf runs and in a hurry. If you swoop in fast in an arc you'll usually be able to get into position to mow 'em down without taking any hits until you've come to a stop and you're blocking is back up.

I would also recommend trying to get gear and/or charms to max your resistances, but I'm sure you already know that.

4. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

Thx, I practice a bit in NM, and then on to HELL.
    But it is HC I play, so I must be vey coutious.

CU

5. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

You have basically two options as a Hammerdinn vs them:

#1) close in with vigor asap, it is really not too hard to evade most physical melee missiles, a lot harder to evade the pure elemental ones, i wouldn´t recommend it for HC.

#2) make a hammer field while going in the opposite direction of them, unless they are skeleton archers they will try to follow you and walk right into the field, the skeleton archers will try to do that too but sometimes they walk so slow that for the time they get around the hammer field it is already gone.... this technique also works with just about any type of monster in the game.

6. sorcees

sorcees IncGamers Member

thx a lot, very usefull.

CU

7. tl998

tl998 Banned

Has anyone tried CHARGING into them and them hammering?

Oh btw you don't need charms for resists :D Just my weapon and shield alone gives me more than enough for max resists using Guardian Angel. And this is before hell anya quest.

8. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

See my first option :D it is possible, but i don´t recommend it for HC because it has netted my non HC pally quite a good couple of deaths (damned fanat+amplify archers :p...)... oops notices i said vigor, well, it is vigor+charge... it is fast but sometimes it isn´t what you really need... again fanat+AD ... it kills way too fast even with max block...

9. BadBen

BadBen IncGamers Member

I also suggest having max block and 2k+ defense (with holy shield or not, the more the better). I use to die constantly with my ahmmerding from range attacker (archer), I then got a Hoz and thet helped me alot. I also got my self a defiance merc, witch greatly impriove my survibilty. For other elemental range attacker, all I cant suggest is get high resist and run up to them.

BadBen