Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HALP!! my MF barb is gimp!

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Witch-hunter, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Witch-hunter

Witch-hunter IncGamers Member

HALP!! my MF barb is gimp!

im looking for a build of barb that can do hell meph runs. ive been running different things through the hero builder, but im finding i cant seem to hit mephisto very reliably, with max frenzy/sword mastery, about10 in doubleswing.

this seems like a great toon for MF, not so much becuase of find item (which doesnt do much for me, since u cant find-item on bosses); but becuase of natrul resistance, run speed, battle orders, and howl. nothing like being able to run straight to meph from the wp w/o fear of the monsters, becuase u can howl :drool:

but.... i need to be able to kill him in a decent amount of time... which isnt happening (becuase i dont hit him)

plz halp

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

1 pt in battle cry might help.

otherwise, there could be many reasons why you can't hit him:
    1. your level is under 80.
    2. you can't leech, so you are spending a lot of time running away/healing/portaling back to town. you can try life tap charges, but barbs just aren't good at meph for this one reason.
    3. game malfunction: some large sprite bosses like baal have their actual "souls" behind their head, or for duriel, near their front foot. if you aren't hitting him, maybe you need to change positions.
    4. AR: you should have around 75% chance to hit, but if your level is low, this is actually like 40% or lower. nothing you can do about it but level more.
    5. wep range: because of the soul problem, your weps might be too short to reach him.

really though you should mf a different place. meph just isn't barb-friendly anymore. with howl, you can easily do shenk/eldritch/pindle with no worries, plus get the hork.

3. LuUcIoUs

LuUcIoUs IncGamers Member

I have a mf barb, he is a ww barb w/ polearm mastery. Very fun to play. My skill points go like this:

20 Polearm Mastery
    20 WW
    20 BO
    20 Shout
    1 Battle Command
    1 Beserk
    1 Increase Speed
    1 Natural Resistance
    1 Iron Skin
    1 Increase Stamina

86 skill points, at level 80 or so. The rest you can place anywhere you want. With my plus to skills Berserk is like lvl 10. If you get a good polearm then you are pretty much good to go. Just level stats to where you can hold weapons and armor and the rest to vitality. This build is actually better for the pit. But can do meph runs if you want to you have 1 to howl as a prereq.

My gear includes:
    shako, Enigma, rare gloves with 19% mf and resistances, ravenfrost and nagel 29%, war travelers, eth BOTD great poleaxe, and arachnid mesh. I weapon switch with 2 echoing swords for Battle Command, BO, and Shout. My mf% ranges around 200%-250%. Mfing is all about speed in this 1.10 patch so I cater to more damage then anything else. I also use a might merc for more damage. I find it more fun then welding 2 swords. I think the range is different plus you get more damage with one poleaxe then a sword.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yea, that pole barb does not seem very meph friendly in that it uses whirlwind, my frenzy barb creams meph, but he is using double schaefers and atma's scarab

5. Witch-hunter

thanx for your input, the barb i tested on single player was lvl 84, with a 48% chance to hit :( but looking at his dmg from when he did manage to land a few, it would take him all day to kill meph(dmg was 600-1.4k each hand)...

but not to fret :idea: i've modified my lightning trapper sin, and between Burst of speed, cloak of shadows and a shadow, i dont have much trouble getting to meph fast at all; the lightning sentries pretty much shred meph while i zip around at 100-something% r/w dodging him and wondering why he laughs so much.

ty again though guys :)

6. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Problem with meph is that you can't leech off him, at all

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

man that's horrid. both ar and damage. the only way to help in this case is to add ar through eq. many people suggest angel's ring/ammy. in this case, probably 2 rings. i usually use max/ar gc's.

8. urban savage

urban savage IncGamers Member

wow thats amazing that you can even find meph!
    i've only tried a few times and just got sooo frustrated because of the size of durance now. just pits and tunnels for me now.
    how long each meph run and are you reaping the rewards for your time spent?

9. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

Please I've got to know. I've never seen a barb with that bad of damage or that low of attack rating. How low was your dex, and what kind of terrible weapons were you using.

10. Witch-hunter

for boochie, AR was 2793 in both hands, 110 dext, 170 str. no jewelry or charms though, i was trying not to add stuff that wouldnt be on my barb if i did roll him. maybe theres some kind of per-level ar boost, that i wasnt recieving becuase i made him via an editor?

swords were djinn slayer and frostwind.

and urban, omgsh i thought it was just me!! running through the durance seems to take forever now, it takes me 4 minutes just to find the place because its so much bigger! and the clock wise rule doesnt seem to apply anymore, they've thrown in alot of, "penninsula" shaped areas where if you are just trace the parimeter, your probably taking a very path to get to lvl3.

as for reaping rewards... i did maybe 30-35 runs last night, i usualy got something nice once or twice every 10 runs. ginthers rift, ik maul, the elite-unique maul, etheral crow caw armor (damn), tal rashas mask, 2 aldurs boots, aldurs mace, tarnhelm (lol), gladiators bane, duriels shell, some sort of unique-elite throwing axe with 200-500 dmg to 3 different elemental types (yummy for my kicksin) and im sure im forgetting lots of things, there was all sorts of normal sets/uniques that i got rid of (howl tusk, 2 wall of eyeless, griswalds edge, 2 culwens points, 987405 isenharts breastplates).

the sin was wearing goldwrap, perfect chance guards, 4p-topaz armor and 3p-topaz helm, and rhyme on the weapon switch. thats not a ton of MF, but it seems to be plenty :) and leaves enough spots open for me to use aldurs boots and bartucs.