Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Halo 1

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, May 12, 2005.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Halo 1

Anyone ever go back and play this game? In my opinion, it was infinitely superior to the sequel, although I will admit Halo 2's gotten much much better with the recent patch.

I just played a match with my hallmates from last year, and it's the most gaming fun I've had in months. Even with live, halo 2 just can't compare.

2. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

It's ok but Unreal Tourny 2K4 is still wayyyyy better.

*crosses fingers for 2K7*

3. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Halo was a fun console game. Always nice to have friends over and smack each other around like little girly men.

But then we'd get tired after an hour or so and go back to our PC's for some Call of Duty/Day of Defeat/Warcraft 3/Warhammer 40k.

4. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Well, I was pretty good at the last one, especially with the pistol, I loved 3shotting people across hangem high (it was a lot harder than most people acted like it was).

I just loved being able to run around slaying lives and not just have a mad dash to see who could get to the one good weapon on the map, and have the entire game being decided on who could hang on to the sword for the longest time. Even if there was a sword, it wouldn't be that great because you could own people at a distance before they'd get in range.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Halo 2 has been much much improved in the last patch. About the power weapons: I played last night, and got a double kill using my gun and melees. I took out the sword guy, then turned around and took out the shotgun guy. So it's getting better. The playstyles for each game are so different though. I rather miss Halo 1 because it required people to be present for multiplayer, and that's so much more fun. If the enemy is being a giant douchebag while they're playing, just go into the other room and punch him. Problem solved. Online, there's nothing you can do, so there is a multitude of asshat-ery.

6. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Yeah, just today I was playing head to head, and I swear to god that my opponent was standbying. I didn't accuse him of it because at first I thought it was just a laggy game, but the lag was timed too perfectly. I got two bluescreens, both of which occured in midjump on lockout, both of them resulting in me falling off the map. Both times were right after I'd killed him while he was juiced, so they prevented me from getting both the sniper and the sword. The guy just kept talking about how he was an amazing player and I didn't have a shot so it didn't matter anyways, but I lost 6-4, without those two "lags" it would have been tied (not to mention that he just hid with the sword after I fell off, making it 5-4 with a minute to go).

7. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Yeah, I liked Halo 1. Nothing revolutionary, but a nice solid little game.

They over-hyped Halo 2 IMO. Still an alright game, but not really any better than the original.

8. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I miss pistol sniping.
    Clean way to take out those annoying campers. Without having to make a mad dash for the rockets / snipers that're being guarded by the previous ppl who made the dash >_<.

9. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

My most intense halo2 moment ever was probably having the bomb by myself in a 4v4 on ivory or whatever it is and jumping down that back elevator shaft, killing the sword guy on the second level on my way down then dispatching bomb justice to their remaining 3 members who probably didnt expect me to get past the sword.

I think after that game every person sent me a friends invite.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I switch between [crowbar swings] and Halo all the time. I suck on consols so I stick to the PC versions.

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

never thought much of it

12. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

As we all know, I am obsessed with Halo.

I think 2 is a better game, but CE has some better aspects.

If in 2 they got rid of sticky aim then the games would be equal.

Playing with the right settings makes a difference too. Try starting with battle rifles, in my opinion no matter what you have, if I have gernades and a battle rifle I can and probably will kill you.

13. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

at lower skill levels halo 1 is a terrible game. If you're good at the games then 1 in much much better than 2 because Halo 1 is about aim, skill, and smart playing. Powerups were important but getting a powerup in a team game wasn't good for more than a kill usually if the other team had teamwork regardless of how good you were. In halo 2, grenades have so much weaker range (their power's been beefed up with the patch, but their range is still low) that camping with the good weapons is by far the best strategy. When you get four juiced teammates sitting in the corners of a room, there's very little a team can do to come back. Same with a team getting both snipers on burial mounds, or whatever.

At lower skill levels, everyone just runs around on their own trying to kill everyone else. For that reason the huge problems with halo 2 aren't as noticable. You ask any of the top 20 people on the playlists, 18 of them will prefer halo 1 to halo 2 (and the other 2 just sucked at 1)