Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gun Control......what are your feelings.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by olie0923, Mar 25, 2005.

1. olie0923

olie0923 IncGamers Member

Gun Control......what are your feelings.

I was thinking this would be a decent place to ask this question since there are so many diverse people here. I know some of you are from places that have strict gun laws while others are from places with lax gun laws. I didn't know if being from one place or another, the laws of that area, way you were brought up, etc. had an impact on the way you felt about it. So how do you feel about guns and gun laws? More importantly, do you think guns should be banned?

First off, I like my guns. I have 5 in my house at the moment. Although 2 are my wife's and I don't have as many as I would like. I know of at least 5 more that I want off of the top of my head.

Guns laws to me are a neccessary evil. I think gun laws are needed to an extent but I think there is a limit to the need. I am absolutely against outright banning guns. I have no problem with laws restricting access to automatic weapons. I don't see much of a purpose for them to most citizens. I also don't have a problem with having an age limit, it would be stupid not too. I guess my biggest problem with gun laws are not the gun laws themselves but the people out there that want to add so many that it is impossible to own one or outright ban them.

2. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Port Arthur. Tasmania. Australia.

This location was witness to a tragedy. Over 20 people were massacred by Martin Bryant. He hunted down children fleeing for their lives after witnessing the slaying of their parents and siblings. Victims watched helplessly as this crazed madman went ballistic.

Because of this, Australian gun laws where revised.

Since that time the amount of deaths to firearm violence has decreased dramatically. Is this a good thing? Absolutely.

I do not deny people's right to have the right to something, unless it serves a better purpose.

It is sad that certain individuals 'lose' their right, however the gain to society cannot be overlooked.

3. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Canada.

Anyone should be able to purchase a firearm, if they can first prove they've taken a firearms safety course. That being said, no one is under any obligation to sell you one. Want a tank? Great. Just find someone willing to sell you one. Ditto the inevitable "WUT IF I WANT A BAZUKA LOL?!" argument. I also don't have problems (well, fine, problems if it isn't managed well) with a registry, such that any legally purchased firearm is registered with its owner.

4. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I think your going to find that peoples attitudes to guns will reflect where they live. I'm from the UK, where hand guns are banned, and you've got to have pretty serious reason to own any kind of rifle or shotgun. I've never had any particular desire to own a gun, and I don't think owning one would make me feel anymore secure.

Personally I have a problem with any law that legalises an item thats primary use is to kill. You can argue all you want about self defense, protection of property, and rights of the individual, but in the end a gun is designed to kill first and foremost. (And the whole assault weapon issue to beyond ridiculous).

However, gun crime isn't very big over here, so I can't say what my reaction would be if I lived somewhere where more criminals were armed.

5. Steel_Avatar

To kill what? People? Ducks? Deer?

6. Namyeknom

Thats the thing, the what lies in the hand of the user. Yeah you can argue a guns for hunting purposes, but it'll still put a hole through your next door neighbour when he's annoyed you enough.

I don't really agree with hunting either, but then we don't have much wildlife left over here, we built on most of it...

7. Steel_Avatar

What about target shooting? Pentathletes or biathletes, for example? Or clay pigeons?

8. InfinitusVerita

InfinitusVerita IncGamers Member

Has a compelling notion to it, to an extent. But I disagree on it being an "improvement" to society. What about the other crime rates? Break in's, rapes, assaults, ect. Even if a firearm wasn't used in a robbery, if there was an increase......... or the stats on break in's that occur when a resisdence is still occupied? I know if I had the notion of becoming a theif I'd think twice about breaking in if there was a possibility of someone inside with a firearm at their disposal. Otherwise why wait, might get me a rape in too ya know.

I can't help but think it's blaming the means instead of the source, a gun afterall is just a man-made object. An expensive paperweight till in the hands of a human being (maybe a monkey too). Japan has some of, if not the strictest gun control laws anywhere, but a nutjob still grabbed a knife and went on a rampage at an ELEMENTARY school. A suburb of Osaka, and a 30-some year old weilds a knife, kills 2 kids instantly, 6 die later in a hospital. Time to ban kitchen knifes next? With all the people getting killed in traffic accidents every year and the negative effects on our environment why not ban automobiles and establish a nation wide means of public transportation? Eliminate most of the accidents, fewer vehicles = fewer pollutants, insurance costs would overall drop and eliminate a costly bill for a household in a fickle economy, and then you wouldn't have to worry about any teenagers buying gas just to huff cause it'd be easier to spot. I know it's extreme, maybe to some ridiculous, but when it's on a subject that matters to you it's easier to see the reluctance and defense surrounding firearms.

I own over 20, did my time in the millitary, and have never once used any of my firearms to break the law or harm a human being. How would taking them from me, or the over 7 million others like me, improve society? I simply love to shoot and collect, and relish in the thought that if a nutjob ever should break in my home I would stand a fighting chance at defending my family and loved ones. What ever happened to true accountability? It's on the same lvl of blaming McDonalds for obesity, or Budweiser for DUI's. Maybe it really was spandex to blame for Kirstie Alley getting fat, let's reward her with a show on it.............. oh yeah, already did. I'm ranting now so I'll stop. Firearm regulations I've no trouble with, banning to me, imho, is simply finding a scapegoat instead of tackling the problems and flaws leading to the violence to begin with.

Moderatio est Figmentum

edit; I'm at work and it took me awhile to get this typed amongst the other things I had to do, this was in response mainly to the post concerning Aust. and a ban being a benefit to society.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Guns are not toys. All civilians should be disarmed. All they do is shoot eachother anyway.

10. InfinitusVerita

InfinitusVerita IncGamers Member

Then I'll consider it much needed population control. If the battle comes down to the wimps v. the barbarians, the barbarians are going to win.

11. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

What do I think about gun control?

I think there are a great many gun owners who lack control.

12. olie0923

The same could be said for car owners and road rage.

13. Namyeknom

I'm not saying that there are no legitimate reasons for guns, its just overall I don't theres any real need for the average citizen to own them.

I'll accept the point that if some nut job wants to, they can kill people with knives or baseball bats, but giving them access to an object that can spit little balls of metal out a 90 metres per second just makes it a hell of alot easier.

And if ownership of guns detered criminals, then the crime rates should be lowest in the countries with the easiest access to guns. Which it isn't. It just means the criminals get armed as well. Crime is a product of socio-economic conditions, and will only be reduced by attempts to solve the problems that push people to crime.

14. olie0923

Hopefully people will keep posting their opinions about this b/c that was my whole intention. I want to know what people think. Hopefully my smartass comment every now and then won't push anyone off.

With that said..........you can't really say that having a gun makes it any easier to kill someone. There are many easy ways of killing a person. There are so many ways to make small bombs that it isn't even funny. Not to mention running someone over a few times (as has been done here by crazy women.......lesson here, don't piss your wife off).

As far as what ole Johnny said before, to remind you "Guns are not toys. All civilians should be disarmed. All they do is shoot each other anyway."
    That's the best you can come up with? You have to be kidding. Do I even need to make a serious remark to this statement?

Oh well, I guess I'll let this be for now and let the thread develope on it's own and check it when I get back tonight.

15. OneBigHick

OneBigHick IncGamers Member

I think gun control is a joke. People find what ever reason they can to blame the weapon then the person who uses it. It is so easy to make excuses on why people use guns for crimes but even if the gun wasn't there the crimes would still be committed. Face it, people are greedy and if they can take from someone else they will by what ever means they have available. Guns being banned will not stop this. You can look in which ever country or place you wish and you will still see crimes are still being committed.

So just leave it alone, guns have a use. protections, hunting, and survival.

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Yes indeed. There are few restrictions on who can buy a car, and we have mandatory training sessions for people who wish to operate them. I think a similar approach would be ideal for guns.

When some moron parent leaves a loaded pistol lying about in the house and Junior kills his buddy playing around with the thing, it doesn't make me want to say "ban the sale of guns!" It does make me want to ban the *purchase* of guns by untrained idiots. There's a difference there that not all NRA members seem to grasp.

17. olie0923

I said I wasn't going to reply anymore tonight but I guess I lied. That was actually a good point. I can see and understand that stance. I guess I take that forgranted b/c I grew up with guns all of my life and knew my dad would kick my butt (if not worse) if I touched a gun without his presence or in a matter that it wasn't intended for.

18. OneBigHick

OneBigHick IncGamers Member

Valid point DurfBarian, but that same moron is the person that leaves his beer in the frig for his kids to drink while he gone. they get behind the wheel of a car and kills himself and his friends.

When does accountability come into play!

19. Namyeknom

Just tought I'd share all these with you. They all refer to America, as its the easiest country to find statistics on:

In 2002 71% of murders were commited using a firearm.

Studies of crime patterns, show that a gun kept in the house is 43 time more likely to be used to kill a member of the family or friend, than an intruder.

FBI reports for 1993 show that of the 13.980 murders involving handguns, only 251 were judged to have been justifiable (ie. self defense, protection of property).

The death rate in gun robberies is estimated to be 3 time that of robberies involving knives, and 4 time that of other weapons. In crimes in which assault or homicide is the intent, guns kill 12% of their intended victims, 5 times the number that knives kill.

And while the majority of guns used in criminal activity are illegal owned anyway, the FBI crime figures reports on average 340,000 thefts of legal guns per year, all of which wouldn't be available for theft if they were banned.

20. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Gun control doesnt seem to work overhere in Flanders, because most guns are banned here and yet i have a ****load of them. I have got some .45, a couple 9 mm and 3 Remington 700's in 7.65 cal.(military cal. = banned and yet i have 3 :D).

All the gun control i need = you control yours i'll control mine.