Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gulf Oil Spill "Could Go on Years and Years" ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vdzele, Jun 13, 2010.

1. vdzele

vdzele Diabloii.Net Member

Why is this event totally ignored on OT? Event that could be The Most Devastating in our life time. One which could totally change the course of mans history.

Or watch it.

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

The hole is like 6 inches wide. How bad could it be?

3. vdzele

Hole is not 6 inches wide

And what was suggested in the previous clip.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

This much:

If the hole is 6"=15cm wide and the oil shoots out with let's say 216 km/h=60m/s, it's 28 m³/s, it's 2 m³ per seconds and with 1 ton per m³, 2 tons per second or 170,000 tons per day or 5,100,000 tons per month.

I just guessed about the speed, but my point is just the order of magnitude, with which I might be wrong by a factor of 3 or so, but even if it's just 1/3 as much, it's still 1.7 millions tons per month. That's 5-6 of these 300m oil tankers full of oil.... or 15-18 if my guess is accurate. Cheers!

5. BabyLink

BabyLink Diabloii.Net Member

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

So paint it like a vagina and send Ron Jeremy down there.

7. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

I guess it's just too damn depressing... I've been waiting for someone to bring it up too. This is gonna have huge aftershocks. I don't even have the energy to get into a political fight over it. :(

8. Glurin

Glurin Diabloii.Net Member

Seems to me that this leak is more or less an exercise in Murphy's Law. We've all had those days where nothing goes as planned. You wake up late for work, no hot water for the shower, the toast is burnt, can't find your keys, spill coffee on your shirt as you're leaving, etc. Its not that you're incompetent. Its just that for some reason, nothing is working out the way it should.

Its kind of the same for BP and the oil leak. Only much bigger and probably with more frustration. I'm not saying they should be let off the hook for this. I just think that maybe people need to take a breath and cut them some slack until the problem is dealt with. (It would also help prevent certain political interests from taking advantage of the situation.)

That said, I did enjoy the coffee video. :thumbup:

9. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Let's not go thrashing the British Pensions system.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That might help normal people, but not with those who are in positions of power.

You can do over there what you want, but if the oil destroyed my homeland, I would get pretty angry. Not that it would help me much, but angry voters scare politicians while the aspect of having to pay for the mess scares the share holders. Maybe somebody can also start a few lawsuits, so some people are afraid of going into jail? Maybe a few officials and those who dealt with them?

For the kind of people involved, fear of punishment, financial loss or loss of power while having to act under the eyes of the world is a pretty good motivation factor IMO, else they would be busy with nothing but sweeping things under the rug... which they are still trying.

11. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Seriously? It's too depressing, kind of like the Bhopal disaster. We have a company that's obviously in over its head and unwilling to ask for help, being identified by a schizophrenic administration as being/not being in charge/to blame/must give out even more campaign contributions, and an Commander-in-Chief who's too busy partying and golfing to take command.

Bush was blamed quite unfairly for Katrina, because the media didn't want to hold the Democrats who <were> to blame responsible. Now they don't want to hold the people who <are> to blame responsible, and would rather wander around diddling themselves while this disaster mushrooms.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  12. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

and they are. so many people who made a living off a fishing and boat companies no longer have a season. this hit when it was at the peak of fishing season and now... they are ****ed. not only are they screwed, but so are their kids and their kid's kids... families who made a living off of shrimping and crawfishing and etc. now don't have a business and are out of work. the work they are doing now (if my memory serves me right) is cleaning up all that oil and trying to make a living.

13. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

You are SO out of this world. It was a storm. How can either of them be blamed for a storm ? Did they flap their arms too strongly or what ?

Anyway, on topic : We get what we deserve. We want more and more oil, cheaper and cheaper. Companies cut costs everywhere, and that is a general direction for all companies, not just BP. They sacrifice safety for some more % of generated income. Voilà, here is the price.

We need a total change in our mentality, or this will only be the beginning of bigger and bigger catastrophies.

What realy pains me is how we waste our oil. We need it for so many things, chemicals, medicine, plastic, computers etc. There is almost nothing that does not use oil by now. And yet we use the part that we dont let leaking into the sea to burn it for transportation. There would be so many alternatives to petrol driven cars, and so many more useful uses for oil.

14. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Are you saying it's obama's fault?
    Or am I reading this wrong?

Maybe chaos theory kicked in somewhere during bushes campaign.

I don't think so.
    Isn't the problem of the situation the infrastructure? The infrastructure is such as small part of the cost that they really aren't cutting back there.

The greed of the companies has noting to do with it. They thought their measure for such a disaster (i.e. the valve that apparently didn't work) were good while they weren't. Noting more and noting less if you ask me.
    And the same goes for the solutions. They thought they had possibilities to close the leak while they didn't.

That is about the leak itself. The fire/accident that leaded to the leak might have been a problem due to cut backs.

[edit]
    And shouldn't someone get furies about the dividends they offer the shareholders? It has been 10 post, I thought someone would have done it by now.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Really, I'm out of this world? You're unaware of the ongoing assertions that Global Warming caused Katrina, aka all Bush's fault?

Unless you're inaccurately understanding what blame I <am> placing; the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana (both Democrat playas) were the authorities responsible for initial response. They said they didn't need Federal assistance. Then Bush was blamed for not being more responsive. In this case, BP is not responsible for the initial response, the Federal Gov't is.
    You're reading it wrong. What <IS> Obama &c. fault is not only to have such shat-poor response for something that <is> their problem, but then to continuously blame Bush for a disastrous situation decades in the making. There have been numerous responses to deep-water drilling problems, but we've done none of them. Furthermore, there is obvious negligence on the part of the current administration that is basically being covered up by Obama's sycophantic media.
    1. Netherlands offered skimmers & assistance 3 days in, were told 'no thanks' by the Obama administration.
    2. Maine had plentiful boom and idle skimmers, but didn't receive permission to deploy despite frequent entreaties. Ditto, apparently, with resources in Texas.
    3. Neither burning nor dispersing agents nor Jindal's sand berms were approved because they would be too environmentally damaging.
    4. Proven proposals to skim the oil with hay and attempts to siphon some of the outpouring crude into tankers are still not authorized.

See, the problem is that as THE ONE continues to party, and play 4-hour golf games, and fund-raise for Babs, and talk about kicking *** while snuffing out what little economy is functional in the Gulf, it seems more and more like he <WANTS> this destruction wreaked. At least to those of us who aren't hoping that he would favor us with his divine mercies. It certainly hasn't put him off his food or anything.
    Seriously, you didn't hear any of your komerades sounding off about how after being to blame for the hurricane via Global Warming, Bush destroyed the levees, rescued white people first, blah-de-blah?
    [​IMG]

16. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

lol @ jmerv's pic. hey, whatever makes people happy.... XD

and does anyone else feel that global warming = ********? im serious. the earth goes thru cycles every such-in-such years; El Nino, like every 15 and wild hurricanes blown up southerner's arses every 20-25 years? does anyone else not see what i do? meh. :coffee:

yes, we can DEF treat our planet better. but the question is will we?

edit: really? ******** is a swear word that gets censored?

17. vdzele

What about mass dumping of BP's shares before the accident, namely Goldman Sacks ~2,700,000 shares and CEO of BP Tony Hayward few weeks before?

18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

Sure, now Bush is also responsable for global warming :)

You wrote in your post i last quoted that "bush was blamed for kathrina" which is what i jumped at. I dont know the details on how which parts of the US gouvernement reacted to the catastrophy, so i wont say anything about that.

But trying to point global phenomena or natural catastrophies on somebody or a political party is just ridiculous.

19. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

What exactly is it that you see?

Look at other data. The carbondioxide levels don't rise every 20-25 years. There are species getting extinct because of rising temperatures (if this happens every 25 years, why weren't they extinct 25 years ago)? Permafrost that is melting. Heat waves (atleast here in Belgium). etc.

Things are changing, it's not all that hard to see if you want to see it.

Now you made me curious. An 8 letter word that needs to be censored.
    Does it contain an e?

20. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Mentally disabled 15 year olds who just found the internet perhaps?