Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gul Rune Math

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by viruszero, Mar 23, 2004.

1. viruszero

viruszero IncGamers Member

Gul Rune Math

So i found a gul rune a few mins ago from hell countess. Looking at the odds, I saw it is extermely rare. woohoo! Its my highest rune ever!

Then I decided I wanted to get the most out of my new found rune. (I put this post in this section because its math and I think statistics also relate to math :p)

Gul Rune = 2 * Ist
    Tal Armor = Ist + extra
    IK Armor = Mal
    Ist = 2 * Mal

As you can see, the Gul rune should be worth both of the armors. The extra in the "extra + ist" is coverd by the extra Mal rune produced by the IK armor. So essence, I would be trading:

Ist + Mal for Tal Rasha Armor
    Mal for IK armor

2. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

she dropt LO rune sunday :) couple days before i got a LO from minions a5

3. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

gul from countress in hell is rare, because its not part of her special rune droping ability this stops at ist rune, to find gul, vex, ohm, and Lo the odds drop a whole lot from ist witch is 0.015% and gul 0.00008% (if you didnt know already)

on ladder its well worth it to cube runes, a friend and i keep just about every rune we find and cube em, stopping at ist most of the time where thay have more value as currency. to get just about any item in sets of 3, on uswest anyway gul not = to 2 ist but ist + um or mal or something, sounds odd but its the way of things :scratch:

4. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

Value of runes is not only determined by its rarity, it is also very directly influenced by its usage. The um rune is valued rather highly because of its wide usage in runewords and alone because of its resistances.

Gul on the other hand is one of those rare ones which isn't used in runewords much, I can only think of "Fury".

Don't think you can directly infer the value through the maths of its rarity alone.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Using the ratio from the cube recipe for price estimations is accurate only if the source runes on their own are less useful then the resulting rune.

In this case, ist is more useful then gul, so 2x ist > gul. However, gul is less useful than vex and 2 gul can be cubed into a vex, so 2x gul = vex, i.e. gul is worth half a vex.

IMO Tal's armor < Gul < Tal's + IK armor. Even out the difference with a lower rune, a tradable or 1-2 dozens of gems.

6. viruszero

viruszero IncGamers Member

got 5 offers of ik arm and tal arm for gul. did the trade :)

7. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

One of the reasons we usually don't talk trading in here is because it is entirely unscientific, or at least there are way too many variables to give any useful advice.

There is nothing at all to do with maths in it :rolleyes:

One interesting aspect is that different things have different value to different people. Not just because they like them more, or even the obvious example where one plays only barbs and another only sorcs... but more subtle things like, one player does lots of MFing with high MF and individual targets like Baal or Pindle, while another mostly quests using killing gear. The latter will actually find a lot more runes than the former - Baal/Pindle hardly ever drop runes and MF doesn't help - while the former will obviously find more Tal's Armours etc. So comparing rarity is impossible, because the answer depends on who you kill.

If you want someone else's X more than your Y, and they want your Y more than their X, then why not trade? The only reason is if you are a lot less likely to find another Y in the future than you are an X of your own. And that depends on how you play, not on maths.

8. F1R3STR1D3R

F1R3STR1D3R IncGamers Member

IST = 2x Tal armor on USeast Ladder
    UM = IK armor