Guild Wars?

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Just so we don't see a rash of GW threads I have decided to merge these two.

Thanks for understanding
 

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
nosoup4crr said:
What should my course of action be in the following weeks to finish the game and acquire items in order to make more efficient characters?
Ok, in case you don't know you are far from 2/3 of the way through the game. At level 16, you have not yet ascended. Ascencion is what most people consider the midpoint of pve. The missions scale up dramatically in difficulty from there. Furthermore, once you beat all the quests there is still trying new chars, the underworld, unlocking items, finding all the skills, etc. Not even mentioning pvp, the point of the game :)

nosoup4crr said:
What facets of the game do you enjoy most?
PvP. Missions can be fun if you get a good team but also can be frustrating and tedious. pvP on the other hand is fast paced and skill based.

nosoup4crr said:
How did you guys decide what guild to join?
The whole reason I bought GW in the first place is people had been pressuring me to reform 76Legit :)

I would suggest picking a guild based on your playstyle. A safe rule is if they don't have admissions requirements, they aren't worth joining (as they are no more than a collection of random people you could meet in any town).

Garbad
 

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
Ok, in case you don't know you are far from 2/3 of the way through the game. At level 16, you have not yet ascended. Ascencion is what most people consider the midpoint of pve. The missions scale up dramatically in difficulty from there. Furthermore, once you beat all the quests there is still trying new chars, the underworld, unlocking items, finding all the skills, etc. Not even mentioning pvp, the point of the game :)

PvP. Missions can be fun if you get a good team but also can be frustrating and tedious. pvP on the other hand is fast paced and skill based.

The whole reason I bought GW in the first place is people had been pressuring me to reform 76Legit :)

I would suggest picking a guild based on your playstyle. A safe rule is if they don't have admissions requirements, they aren't worth joining (as they are no more than a collection of random people you could meet in any town).

Garbad

Well...ascension is just doing all the missions, right? Then I have access to the underworld and the fissure. I figured that what I'd done had amounted to a lot more time spent then it will take to get from 16 to 20(seeing as how I didn't have any clue what I was doing and spent far too long on it)...though I could be wrong.

I actually haven't done any PvP or GvG yet. It's intimidating, especially w/out a guild to fall on. This is problematic, as many things I'd like to have can't be unlocked until I have enough points from PvP. I'm looking forward to it, though.

I've been told, actually, that guilds that require an entrance fee, so to speak, could just be a scam. I guess I'll have to get to know people in a guild first. Just out of curiosity...what's the general rule for restrictive guild recruiting? Do people just invite? Do I ask? what? There have been a few people who I enjoyed playing with, but I dind't know if it was proper to just ask if they wanted more people for their guild.
 

Anakha1

Banned
nosoup4crr said:
I've been told, actually, that guilds that require an entrance fee, so to speak, could just be a scam. I guess I'll have to get to know people in a guild first. Just out of curiosity...what's the general rule for restrictive guild recruiting? Do people just invite? Do I ask? what? There have been a few people who I enjoyed playing with, but I dind't know if it was proper to just ask if they wanted more people for their guild.
You have to be invited and no, there's no fee. That's a scam. As for official rules on guild recruiting, I dunno.
 

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
You have to be invited and no, there's no fee. That's a scam. As for official rules on guild recruiting, I dunno.
Well then what might he mean as admission requirements? Level? equipment? que?
 

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
nosoup4crr said:
Well...ascension is just doing all the missions, right?
Ascencion is the last quest in the desert that gives up to 150k experience. It assures everyone will be max level before they pass into the 2nd part of the game. Most people go far, far past level 20 before they beat the game. My first char to beat was about the equivalent of level 36 or so.

After ascencion, you can also change your secondary profession, which opens up a lot more skills and combinations. It is a really, really nice feature. Most people after ascencion use one setup for pve and other setups for pvp. For example, my warrior uses war/monk for pve (mending, res, and raw dmg) while I use war/ele, w/mes, and war/nec for pvp most often.

nosoup4crr said:
I actually haven't done any PvP or GvG yet. It's intimidating, especially w/out a guild to fall on. This is problematic, as many things I'd like to have can't be unlocked until I have enough points from PvP. I'm looking forward to it, though
I completely understand that. PvP is rough as a beginner. GvG and hoh is simply out of your range for a long, long time. Still, remember that stuff is for highly advanced chars and focus on what you can do for now.

I suggest dueling in the random arenas (not ascalon - that place is totally screwed over by rushed chars) until you get some solid experience under your belt. You will lose a lot at first but over time you will get better and get an idea of what works and how a team should function. When you get to the point you can consistently win in randoms with any build, you are ready to consider moving on. (Aim for a 10 win streak as a goal to start).

Also, focus on unlocking a variety of skills and trying them out. Remember too they boosted the rewards for random pvp just last night so it is actually possible to earn enough to unlock things from casual random pvp now.

nosoup4crr said:
I've been told, actually, that guilds that require an entrance fee, so to speak, could just be a scam. I guess I'll have to get to know people in a guild first. Just out of curiosity...what's the general rule for restrictive guild recruiting? Do people just invite? Do I ask? what? There have been a few people who I enjoyed playing with, but I dind't know if it was proper to just ask if they wanted more people for their guild.
Yeah, that is true. Never pay to join a guild.

By entrance requirements I meant something like a tryout or an age/maturity limit, activity, type of play, etc. I suggest as a start just adding people you meet and like to your friends list. You may decide you want to form a guild of friends or you may decide you want to join one of their guilds. You can also look around some forums (like the gwonline forum) for a guild that interests you.

In CH (my guild), we have two main methods of recruitment. First, we accept anyone who was a member from CH/76 in d2 just to renew the old friendships. We also often accept people who apply on our forums if we are confident they will grow into productive players. Second, our officers often meet people in random pvp games. If they show exceptional talent, we offer them a tryout based on game skill, activity, honesty, and maturity. If we judge them worthy, we invite them to full membership. Our acceptance process typically takes a week or more as we feel out the members and let them get a feel for us. We reject a lot because we want to keep the guild small (25-50 members), trustworthy, and active/skilled.

EDIT: Some guilds require you to play certain classes (IE Monk) but that is a sign of a weak guild to me. If they are weak enough to have to recruit monks, chances are they won't be successful.

Garbad
 

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks tons...you've been really helpful. Between this and disgaea, you've been my gaming guru for the past month or so. I'm basically in the desert now. I haven't yet reached that mission for ascension. I've purchased my final armor, and am currently using a decent bow(poisoner's bow of something, i think...poisoner stats, +17% dam for something, I've customized it, and it has a max base damage of 25...i forgot its min.) I think after I reach level 17, I'm going to go steel poison arrow from that boss, finish leveling, and then work on skills(droknar's runs I guess). After level 20, I think I'm going to drain my expertise since I'm using the druid set. Because of this, energy isn't a problem. After that, I'll flow points into marksmanship and wilderness and survival.(12/10, I think). Then I'll save 8 for a secondary profession's skill set. I might stay a Mesmer and work out the kinks and gameplan for disruption(which might require draining wilderness and survival...I'll see). I'll research a few other professions for their singular skill sets to find which best accompany mine.
 

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
nosoup4crr said:
I've purchased my final armor, and am currently using a decent bow(poisoner's bow of something, i think...poisoner stats, +17% dam for something, I've customized it, and it has a max base damage of 25...i forgot its min.) I think after I reach level 17, I'm going to go steel poison arrow from that boss, finish leveling, and then work on skills(droknar's runs I guess).
A couple of points. First, chances are you don't have your final armor. You can get perfect stat armor at droknars at the earliest (after ascension) and other more stylish armor later on. If you want a perfect stat bow, msg me and I can hook you up. Primary is : Blessed Wind

Poi arrow is a great skill btw, and easy to cap.

Garbad

P.S. Droknar runs are rushing people to droknar for money. Only war monks have the skills needed to do it. You still have a lot of the game ahead of you, you will find other things you enjoy :)
 
Top