Guild Wars?

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
rikstaker said:
Do you mean PVM(PVE?what does E stand for?) is different from PVP? meaning PVE chars cant duel? Is it like ladder & non ladder on D2-different sector altogether? & if thats so can PVP chars enter PVE games?

What happens on death,you loose xp? gold?

Rik
PvE is player vs environment. Pve chars can do pvp and pve (including some pvp places pvp only chars cant go to), but pvp chars can't play the pve parts of the game.

In most pvp arenas tho, pve and pvp fight side by side, except pves tend to be better geared and played.

On death, no gold or xp loss but you have a death penalty (stats reduced by 15% per death, but you can work if off fairly quickly). You can also eliminate DP by going to a town.

Garbad

dogs best friend

Diabloii.Net Member
I tried Guildwars and it bored me to tears, its like click the enemy and it does all the fighting for you. Besides the skill bar at the bottom :uhhuh: how intense lol and whats nwn you people were talking about?

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
dogs best friend said:
I tried Guildwars and it bored me to tears, its like click the enemy and it does all the fighting for you. Besides the skill bar at the bottom :uhhuh: how intense lol and whats nwn you people were talking about?

Well I've had this game for nearly 3 months..and I just got out the MOST intense battle by far. It was in Tournament PVP. There were 3 teams..America/Europe/not sure about last one. My job was to help heal the healers/casters..and possibly lash out some Death spells when I was able. And this pvp battle was different than the one before. We had to fight for the center of the map, with the Ghost Warriors. Let you Ghost claim the center and you win.
We fought for nearly 8 mins solid...omg my fingers were flying..eyes racing in my head watching peoples lives, and called targets.
I was a Necro/Monk..using healing spells in both classes(Well of Blood, Healing Breeze,Healing Orison(sp?), and Corpse Nova just in case some of my buddies went down. I wish I woulda brought in some Bone Horrors, they coulda helped some of our tanks out. It was awesome. We didn't win..but my God, never seen so much fighting. I mean there were 27 people on one spot, not counting bone horrors/animals, kicking the holy piss out of each other. I have GOT TO GET RES(ressurection) on my Necro soon, that one time res signet isnt good enough......omg, it was awesome.

To not find intense situations in this game....wow. You musta really hated D2. :uhhuh:
What about ascending? Villinary of Galrith(sp?)..those weren't excited? I jump and shouted my arse off when I beat that. What about the one with all the dragons..right before you get to Droknors Forge...my goodness it was a long one. Some of the early battles of the Charr were quite impressive..the catapualt shooting, and giant looking Charr leaders to take down. The one off Piken Square..the Daughter Ashes...holy cow, you talk about intense...its hard as hell, lol.
Sorry, but this game is alot more than click and kill....far, far from it.

th5418

Banned
My fellow classmates bought Guild Wars. After two weeks they got bored of it. I have FFXi, after a couple months, i'm still intersted in it.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
.... and the best thing about GW is you get to have wacky teams which borderline pure cheapness. Then you get to hear the other team says "OMG cheap! U HACKER!!!!"

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
th5418 said:
My fellow classmates bought Guild Wars. After two weeks they got bored of it. I have FFXi, after a couple months, i'm still intersted in it.

A noob playing GW for 2 weeks..doesn't know enough about anything..to give any advice about the game. They were just plain ..not the right kind of people for it.
I was still in pre-searing, in 2 weeks. Haven't even "started" yet.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
CyberHawk said:
A noob playing GW for 2 weeks..doesn't know enough about anything..to give any advice about the game. They were just plain ..not the right kind of people for it.
I was still in pre-searing, in 2 weeks. Haven't even "started" yet.
Wow-- you're slow. I left pre-searing in about 2 hours. That even includes my afk for beer runs.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Dirty_Zulu said:
Wow-- you're slow. I left pre-searing in about 2 hours. That even includes my afk for beer runs.

Whats the rush? Even my 2nd, took me about 2-3 days..bout 10 hours. My 3rd, 4-6 hours, and I left a tad early. Ohh suure I can leave within the hour at lvl 1-2...but why?..Whats the rush? Want to get to post, hopeing someone rushes you? Relax man, enjoy it. Its not D2 where its a small world...its HUGE, explore..you know there are towns and cities that aren't in the reg game senerio. They have their own missions..skills to be acquired, collectors.

Dirty_Zulu said:
Hmmm...

If you're in that kind of hurry, you're exactly the kind of player I wouldn't have in my guild.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
MixedVariety said:
Hmmm...

If you're in that kind of hurry, you're exactly the kind of player I wouldn't have in my guild.
Then you're the type of guild that wouldn't appreciate someone who goes through unlocking skills or to cap skills in a timely manner to compliment their guilds needs.

It's Guildwars remember? Guild vs Guild? When my guild puts out a challenge and there's a deadline to meet and I gotta make the chars, I'll rush through in a few days. I can agree people can frown upon others that gets rushed in D2. In GW it's all part of the game.

If you want to roleplay and stop to smell each rose then to each his own.

Dirty_Zulu said:
Then you're the type of guild that wouldn't appreciate someone who goes through unlocking skills or to cap skills in a timely manner to compliment their guilds needs.

It's Guildwars remember? Guild vs Guild? When my guild puts out a challenge and there's a deadline to meet and I gotta make the chars, I'll rush through in a few days. I can agree people can frown upon others that gets rushed in D2. In GW it's all part of the game.

I see your point. You didn't make that point in your original post. I'll admit I was judgemental, but I'll bet you won't.
For now, I play the game with more of an eye toward PvE and exploration...smelling the roses, if you like. My main character is a mesmer, who does well in either type of play. My guild has just about any combination of characters necessary for either PvE or PvP, there is no need to suddenly develop another one.
Different strokes, and all that. Though I'll agree with your RP stance; I have just about no use for it.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Dirty_Zulu said:

Maybe this is what you should say next time someone says it took them 2 weeks to get out of pre-searing instead of..well "Wow, your slow!"

Does your guild "expect" you do to this...I mean they wont be teed off at ya if you can't put in the time and all? Just wondering. Seems kinda...demanding.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
Let put this thread back on track.

I suppose there's some fast twitch/lightning reflexes involved. It's not as hard as driving a manual and chewing gum at the same time but it does involve tapping 8 buttons and moving your pointer around the screen. And it helps if you have good set of eyes that can spot the curses and hexes cast on you.

And lastly there's the human aspect out of the game that's quite interesting. There's literally thousands of guilds and not all of them will fit your playstyle. Some of them are total *****es run by little kids and some are just very competitive and some are not. People get a bit anal when their guild ranking goes down. And the best part of dealing with people when everyone starts screaming on Teamspeak.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Dirty_Zulu said:
Let put this thread back on track.

I suppose there's some fast twitch/lightning reflexes involved. It's not as hard as driving a manual and chewing gum at the same time but it does involve tapping 8 buttons and moving your pointer around the screen. And it helps if you have good set of eyes that can spot the curses and hexes cast on you.

And lastly there's the human aspect out of the game that's quite interesting. There's literally thousands of guilds and not all of them will fit your playstyle. Some of them are total *****es run by little kids and some are just very competitive and some are not. People get a bit anal when their guild ranking goes down. And the best part of dealing with people when everyone starts screaming on Teamspeak.
Actually depends on what class you are. Ya its good to keep an eye our for yourself..but even a group of 8 strangers have to be a team. You have to watch out for everybody. A warrior sometimes has to pull off the line to help the back row of caster who get pummeled sometimes by chargeing monsters. And healers, they really have to watch everybody...1 healer can make or break a hours worth of 1 mission. Everbody has their place.
And I dont use TS..but back in MW4, we used Battlecom. A bunch of people yelling aint worth 2 cents on those coms I agree. Really does sound like you need a new group of players..or at least a few within the guild to stick with.

I brought Guild Wars about a week ago and I've managed to truck through the game.

I got quite annoyed at the RPG part of the game because it was incredibly "boring"...the storyline was so-so and generally it's just didn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that I got when I played D2...There were SOOOO many quests and being a perfectionist, I couldn't leave quests unfinished...

But things changed about 3 days ago when I decided to dabble in PvP..

That was when the game got AWESOME!

Here is a few things you need to understand for you to truely enjoy Guild Wars:

This game is a designed for dueling. PvP is top priority, PvE (PvM) comes second so those random quests that only offer exp are just random quests that you COULD do but seriously don't need to (only quests you should do are skill quests and missions).

The majority of skills may fall flat on their face in PvE (PVM) but in a PvP situation, that "crappy" skill suddenly becomes very important.

The RPG part of the game is to compliment the PvP.

Basically, you're not playing a character for the RPG aspect, you're playing the character so that you can unlock more skills/runes/upgrades so that your PvP template selection is larger and greater. the further you are in the RPG storyline, the more opportunities you have to unlock more different skills.

All the best items can be purchased from a NPC and so gold becomes a valuable commodity so you don't need to worry about "never getting good items".

Skills can be purchased from NPCs with skill points (1 point per skill, more exp = more skill points to use) so no need to stress about NOT finding that skill.

In the end, after all my stressing and worrying if I had "ruined" my character, I figured that it doesn't matter cos you can never make a mistake that you couldn't fix in 1-2 hours.

Guild Wars dueling is very balanced. Items don't make you win the duel, you win the duel by intelligent syngeries between the skills you/your teammates pick. Of course since the game is still fresh and new, alot of skills that work well together have yet to be discovered.

So if you enjoyed PvP in D2 then you will like Guild Wars but if you never experienced PvP in D2 then you may struggle to "get into" Guild Wars.

Pop over to Clan Honor, our guild hosted by our leader Garbad the Weak and join up, I'll be glad to help any new guild members.

http://forums.gwonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
TheUnchosen said:
All the best items can be purchased from a NPC and so gold becomes a valuable commodity so you don't need to worry about "never getting good items".

Skills can be purchased from NPCs with skill points (1 point per skill, more exp = more skill points to use) so no need to stress about NOT finding that skill.
*everything* can be bought? So, PvE means nothing really, except doing enough quests/grinding to get gold?

TheUnchosen said:
Guild Wars dueling is very balanced. Items don't make you win the duel, you win the duel by intelligent syngeries between the skills you/your teammates pick. Of course since the game is still fresh and new, alot of skills that work well together have yet to be discovered.
Items have no effect (or a neglectable effect) on the outcome of a duel? Not my kind of rpg then. I don't think I could ever like a game where it doesn't really matter what you wear, I like to spend time and money getting that oh-so-nice item, it gives me something to work towards. In every rpg the skill factor and the way you build your character is important, but items should have a big effect (ok, in diablo items come first, but d2 isn't an rpg).
TheUnchosen said:
So if you enjoyed PvP in D2 then you will like Guild Wars but if you never experienced PvP in D2 then you may struggle to "get into" Guild Wars.
Wait, so, in GW it's all about the skill and equip is a minor influence, and you're saying DIABLO players will like it? I think all the old d2 pubby pvpplayers went to PVP servers on WoW, which is a good thing, now GW and RP WoW-servers are safe :lol:

About the graphics: I'd say GW and WoW are about the same quality. GW just has the more realistic look, while WoW went for the old WCIII look. It depends on taste really, a bit like the old days when people were arguing which had better gfx, WC or C&C :)

PS: NWN was a heaven for modders. I played plenty of great games with mods like FF VII.

HoD

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
This thread actually helped me form an opinion about the game, thanks guys.

I like the Role Playing, the PvE, I don't really care for PvP. And I don't like the fact that everything can be bought. That ruins the fun of finding something better. Not knowing which items you can get makes a game a whole lot more fun.
Seems like a fun game, but not for me.