Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guild vs Clan (no seriously)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Leord, Oct 16, 2009.

?

Guild or Clan?

1. Guild

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Clan

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Guild vs Clan (no seriously)

Right, so we've started adding more and more community aspects to Diablo Wiki, and the obviously gaping hole is for guilds/clans.

Other gaming wikis does it, and there's absolutely no reason why we should not!

Now, even before I started working on a boilerplate for it, the first issue arrives from how to define it in the wiki.

I'm gonna start with creating an example page out of the Holy Knights of Westmarch, which I am an ex-member of (but never left in my heart), so the url to the Diablo Wiki would be either:

DiabloWiki.net/Guild:Holy_Knights_of_Westmarch

or:

DiabloWiki.net/Clan:Holy_Knights_of_Westmarch

What do you guys think? From a wiki perspective and all that, what is best? Guild or Clan? Please motivate your votes :)

2. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

Re: Guild vs Clan (no seriously)

I don't know im personally torn sometimes when i think about this. when i think clan i think a group of friends winning at any cost and growing in numbers.

For me a Guild is a closer nit group of people. For all i know i could have the definitions flipped. I ran a guild called Dynasty Alliance Elite (usually just called DaE) its name changed of course it was Dark Archon Elite when Brood wars came out, and then briefly Diablo Assassins Elite for D2/LoD. Its a silly name for a guild but it meant the world to over 90+ people for over 8 years.

Rambling aside friends. I don't personally know, for the Diablo Lore sake i'd almost call it a Clan, you know like the mage clans and such. But that's me, now lets hear what you guys have to say. Whatever you guys help decided will change this part of the wiki for good!

HK

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

As I see it, a clan is more of a family whereas a guild is more of an organization. Given the current player cap in D3 (4 people), using the term "clan" seems more appropriate because it better reflects the relationship such a small group of players have. Also, "clan" is shorter and easier to type than "guild."

Having said that, I think most players are probably more familiar with the term "guild" because it's widely used in other games, especially MMOs. On a more personal note, the word "guildie" (a member of your guild) was rather common on the WoW server I used to play on, which is a good thing because it's a pretty handy word. It's been a while since I was part of clan, but I don't remember using a similar, short word to denote a member of my clan.

There's a lot of overlap between "clan" and "guild" anyway so regardless of what definition you base your choice on, they're pretty much interchangable in the end.

4. Typoko

Typoko IncGamers Member

Hi!

What i think about this is that guilds are mainly things that are formed inside a game. Clan refers to group of players that share views or interests. You don't necessarey play with all of your clanmates. I'd go out as far as saying guilds are more of an game mechanic. Games that don't requre you to have alot of players in the same game to do something usually have clans. This goes to FPS and RTS games... tbh can't think of any kind of game where guild is more used than clan except MMO games.

Funny how i have or have had different guilds for games and many guilds for the same games, but i have always only been in one clan the whole time.

I'd say go with the clan tho i'm fine with guild also. Going for something else than those two is just being silly.

5. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

For arguments whether or not to use "Clan" or "Guild" in Diablo Wiki, I am leaning towards "Guild" myself.

It's a universal name used for groups in RPG-type games. Still, since Diablo is a little bit more "raw" than regular RPG's clan is also a viable option.

Which is why I am asking for good arguments for or against the other...

I mean, "clan" is usually more associated with RTS and FPS games, and D3 is hardly that.

6. LegionOfSouls

LegionOfSouls IncGamers Member

Sitting in d2 chat channels ive seen a lot of ppl talk of forming clans over the years, but rarely guilds. To me guild tend to implie more of a generic multi-game organistion rather than something specific to the d2 enviroment, so im for clan.

7. gluecks

gluecks IncGamers Member

I think "clan" is mainly used in 3d shooter games e.g., while "guild" is rather used in games like Runes of Magic, WoW, etc

PS: Despite my above opinion I've always said clan in Diablo2 :)

8. DavidJewer

DavidJewer IncGamers Member

There's the Mage Clans in the Diablo lore. But then again there's the Rogue Monastery which is more like a guild.

9. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

There's the Mage Clans in the Diablo lore. But then again there's the Rogue Monastery which has nothing at all to with guilds. Therefore I vote for clan

Fixed:D

Clans in the story dont have anything to do with what people call their "group" they play with imo. However I would go with clans simply because diablo has always had clans and not guilds. Also a guild tends to have about 100 members(in wow at least) You cant cram 100 players or even 50 or even 10 into a D3 game. If you never play with all your guild(you'll probably play only with a select few) then I see no point in the large organisations.

A clan seems to be better as It's usually a smaller group of friends that just want a name to call themselves online, not anything organized like a guild

my 2 cents

10. LordOfStrategy

LordOfStrategy IncGamers Member

I'm just going to chime what others have been saying. Not many players can act as one in Diablo (as far as we know). It seems clan would be better suited as we'll be acting as small groups of heroes.

11. DavidJewer

The Rogue monastery is totally like a guild. They have a relgion (High Priestess Akara), trained squads (Kashya "I sent my rogue scouts to look for blood raven"), a heirarchy.

A guild is basically a group of people with a similar job/duty.

12. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

so you would consider a group of slaves a guild? A guild is more like a union, a group of people with similar profession that are trying to improve their wealth/trade/whatever. I don't see how the rogues are doing that.

13. DavidJewer

Diablo_I_Manual#Rogue

"The Sisters of the Sightless Eye are a loosely organized guild shrouded in mystery amongst the peoples of the West."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  14. Marius

Marius IncGamers Member

I think "clan" feels more Diablo. Thinking of the Vizjerei mageclans, barbarian clans etc. I have never heard of guilds in Diablo actually, but clans are often mentioned.

Clans and Orders, never guilds. (remember that historically "guild" is more associated with the guilds of the professions in medieval cities, which were financial groups rather than military organizations). A guild is really more like a trade or labor union.

Order is the word you want to use for the Holy Knights of Westmarch. :thumbup:

15. rhinowave

rhinowave IncGamers Member

It depends on the content of your webpage/s. I prefer the term “clanâ€, however if the word inappropriately defines the subject matter than change the verbiage or make separate webpages.
    A “clan†can be composed of different classes. Though there are similarities among members of the group, differences are noted.
    A “guild†is a group of very similar people with a specific goal. Differences among members are subtle.

16. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

the only reason i feel this way, is because when i first started playing online games it was diablo 1, and it seemed basically everything was a guild, however, in starcraft it was almost entirely clans...

so it just kinda seemed to me like a fantasy, hero-like, medieval style character should belong in a guild.

17. Kallieon

Kallieon IncGamers Member

I say guild. Clans seem too PvPish, clans tend to bicker amongst each other rather than fighting against the greater evil.

18. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

Order is nice, but it's an alien word for most RPG players. People associate with "guild" and "clan" more.

Also, think of an Assasains' guild, or a Mercenaries' guild. The members do not necessarily need to be of the same profession more than a "Freelancer".

Like you can have a sorc, barb and a monk in such an organisation.

19. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

And that proves what? That Blizzard also does not know what a guild is? A guild is like a union, except i was more secretive and more about profit than anything else.

20. DavidJewer

Did you just look up the definition of Guild on wikipedia? The rogues had a guild, period. You don't agree with that, that's fine. But I don't appreciate having my words "fixed".