Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

guides for crossbows plz

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by harley98, Oct 3, 2006.

1. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

guides for crossbows plz

when you look in the guides you see guides dealing with bows, javs, and some spear builds. amazons are very capable of handling a crossbow, so where are the crossbow guides? or does everyone have them mounted above the fire place or stashed away in the attic collecting dust?

the only difference i see between bows and crossbows is:

bows are mainly focused on speed.
    crossbows are mainly focused on damage per bolt.

there are some very good guide writers out there, how about writing some crossbow guides please. i'd do it myself but i'm a lousy writer.

2. zalt

zalt IncGamers Member

Well.. i guess that any bowazon guide could be applied for the use of a Xbow instead. There are no skills that are really suited primarely towards either bow or Xbow. The problem i think is that Xbows tad bit more dmg doesnt really make up for their slower speed. Thats why people dont use Xbows i think.

3. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

problem with xbows is they're physically limited to 11 frames per bolt (and 11/3 strafe)

no matter how much more ias you feed in, it doesn't go faster, so it makes faith xbows pretty useless, as the bang for the buck is pretty bad

the extra damage on xbows is nothing compared to extra speed on bows (which translates into many thousands damage more), hence no guide is focusing on them exclusively, but you can adapt almost every bowzon build to include a xbowzon build

last but not least, there is a lack of decent xbows out there, the only one worth mentioning is buriza and then you have a large nothingness, and hardly anyone will go make an expensive rw into an xbow

4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Xbows are cool for other character builds: bowbarian being one. There are builds that can use the xbows, but yes, they are slow. But don't let that stop you from trying, though, if you want to build one. Why not try a faith wielding merc, a buffed up valk and a xbowazon? Get the merc life as high as possible and put points into decoy to buff up the valk. Use all three and you can shoot your Hellrack from well behind the lines.

Put every point you can into dex. Use a hel in the Hellrack to reduce the requirements. It still has a high strength req, though. So does an upped Buriza and people still use them. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

EDIT: another thought. Use a act 2 NM might merc, equip with Pride or Reapers, and pluck away from behind the lines.

I think you can use any bowazon guide. But you just have to be more careful, because you'll kill a little more slowley.

5. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

i'll have to agree with some of your view points, but have you ever tried it? yes the crossbow is a death sentence in some biulds because of the speed. but where the crossbow really shines is in the amount of damage you can get out of 1 bolt. so for a physical damage biulds it will wreak havoc over bows(exception would be an amazon only bow with +skills and enhanced damage). plus you get better life/mana leach.

as far as killing speed. it all depended on what runeword you used. for a physical damage biuld the crossbow won out. in a crushing blow, elemental, ctc on hit/attack/kill, the bow won out.

here are some where i like the crossbow over a bow.

gorgon crossbow: faith, harmony, brand
    collossus crossbow: silence, BotD, faith

most of the guides are tailored for bows. you cannot make a crossbowmen out of a bowmen and be effective, because bows and crossbows are different.

crossbows have gotten so much bad press, it doesnt suprise me why you never see one or even try to make one work.

6. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i still say that any non zon with a bow should shoot themselves with it. [-60]!!! they arent slow they're faster than a phase blade.

does anyone know if multi shot is "lowed"on a zon with a Xbow like strafe? if a zon were to use multi exclusively wouldnt a -60 speed weapon be better?

7. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Well do not be fooled by the numbers. Xbows have always being capped at 11 frame MS and 11/3 Strafe.

Still do not underestimate the firepower of some xbows. A well made Faith Gorgon crossbow is absolutely deadly in the hands of a strafer (60% IAS needed, if you are really anal 70% IAS). The damage difference is really really noticeable.

8. Leohappy

i'm glad you posted that specific xbow because it's the worst kind of xbow

putting a -60 spd modifier on a slow weapon like an xbow (at a cost of dmg) is just a bad joke and nothing else (as you cannot raise relative damage by raising speed, like you can on bows)
    no matter what char uses xbow or in cross-class builds, it will always be 11 fpa and no more

remember, with xbows you're optimizing damage, with bows you're optimizing speed
    so it's better to take high damage, slow base-speed xbow instead of fast, low dmg xbow

if someone wants to make a guide specifically for xbowzons go on... :wink2:

9. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

I can think of a certain build that uses a crossbow: a Brand Bow-mancer. A Necromancer using "Brand" runeword in a Demon Crossbow. Needs a total of 8% IAS to get to that 11 frame attack. No need for any curses except maybe Attract, since 35% CTC Amp will override them. Most points go to CTC Bone Spear synergies and Bone Armor synergies. Other options are 20 RS/SM for an army of tanks.

Not the most effective build, but it looks fun if you can afford it. Maybe even make use of the "Bone" runeword armor, for it's 15% CTC level 10 Bone Spear, 2 skills, godly mana boost and decent resists.

10. Leohappy

this is a common misconception ppl have when they see brand's stats

brand's ctc amp only works if you get struck

11. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

okay, so 11 fpa on a demon crossbowrequires 8% ias for a necro using normal attack. a blade bow with 10 fpa requires 99% ias (11fpa requires 60%ias). idk if i'm reading you right or if i just dont see what you're driving at.

i'm sure that a zon using bow skills would never use a weapon that couldnt get below 11fpa, but i was talking about non zon.

12. Bladewind

Nah an Xbower can do well with Strafe but not MS. Since with enough IAS, they can always do a 3 frame strafe.

13. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

I disagree with this. A Crossbow is naturally better suited to MS than Strafe. The difference between a MS volley on a bow vs. crossbow is just a couple of frames... the difference between a strafe volley is a second or more. If I were to make a Hellrack 'Zon, she'd be a Multizon all the way, with Guided for bosskilling. I actually have made several Spearazons who used a Hellrack on switch with MS/Guided to deal with PI/LI baddies.

The other path you could take with crossbows would be to make an extremely SLOW strafer. If you get a 5 fpa follow-up on Strafe, then you neatly circumvent the Next-Delay. A 5-frame strafing Crossbowzon is the quickest single-target killer in the entire bowazon tree.

The third path to take with a Crossbowzon would be a Frozen Arrow 'zon using Buriza for the huge cold duration (iirc, 10 second chill time- that's 2.5 more seconds of freeze in Hell).

14. diablomasterr

diablomasterr Banned

buriza is good crosbow it freezes and does big damage :laugh:

15. chipmc

chipmc IncGamers Member

Not to mention you wouldn't have to put *any* points into Pierce. You wouldn't even need to dedicate your belt slot to a Razortail. I'd take a Buriza over a Hellrack any day for the week. A Frostmaiden with a Buriza and Strafe or MA as a backup would be a nasty zon indeed.

Not to mention you can upgrade the thing now...

Hmm, maybe I should make a Burizazon. Just to reminisce about my 1.09 days. :scratch:

16. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

ya i didn't have a decent bow before i found Buriza .. so i've got 7 or 8 points in pierce. oops. i dont know if Buriza will last me through hell, but hopefully i can make it. Act2 Freeze merc is tanking well for me.

17. Bladewind

An upped Buri has enormous str reqs but the huge IAS it has offset this somewhat.