guided arrow nerf 2?

ccornchip

Diabloii.Net Member
guided arrow nerf 2?

Yes, I know piercing+guided no longer works.

But I feel that guided has been further nerfed somewhere between 1.09 and 1.11. I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems guided arrow cannot target someone that is not in your line of sight?? This made diablo really hard to kill. Has anybody heard of this (not being able to shoot around corners) before?

ccornchip

Diabloii.Net Member
Err... Not quite what I meant. I'm talking more about shooting around corners. Guided arrow seems to not be able to target a monster which is not in her line of sight.
If I'm around a corner from a monster, I remember being able to GA to a point which is in both my line of sight and the monster's and (if it's close enough) the arrow re-directs to the monster. I cannot get this to work in 1.11.
Perhaps a picture would help, how do I post screenshots?

StealthBlade

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't really played my zon recently, but IIRC, i definatley had an arrow go around corners before. However, this does not happen every time, so maybe it has to be in a certain range with you or something....

Stumbelina

Diabloii.Net Member
Guided arrow lost its ability to go around blind corners at the same time it lost pierce.

Losing pierce was a bug fix. The loss of cornering was a nerf.

On a side note, guided goes straight to your cursor location, then targets. So you can target stuff offscreen if you put the cursor at the edge of the screen, then right click to attack. The sight range is the same there, it just starts at your cursor location. (I frequently use this with Diablo, as there's no point in running to him, he'll be along to visit me presently.)

Since I seldom target monsters, I can use this to make guided hit a particular monster out of a group by shooting at a spot well away from the group, on the side where my chosen monster is.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member
I had a strange experience once with guided arrow. while not aiming at anyone in particular, the guided arrow went for a certain monster.

It was in the sewer (act 3, going for the brain or something). And those skeletons (or horrors) always spawn with a revive monster, a giant mummy. And my guided arrow always went for the mummy.
Can anyone explain. Is this a feature. Can a guided arrow decided what monster is the most important to kill first. Or was it something I did.

P.S. guided arrows should pierce, let them think of an other way to nerve it down if it is to powerful with pierce.

Stumbelina

Diabloii.Net Member
From my experience, that's another nerf I forgot to mention. In the past, before the pierce fix/cornering nerf, guided would automatically follow to the highest level monster. I used this in repeated Nihlathak runs (Long before key runs). Step into the chamber, use guided untargeted, Nihl dies, then kill the rest with multi. The guided would always pick Nihlathak out of the pack, so he'd be dead before he had corpses available. No longer. :(

Now, it seems (for me) to go to whatever monster it chooses when untargeted. The only way to force it to change is to target your shot or swing the cursor well away from the pack, making the path longer. If you move far enough to the side (on the side of your chosen monster), it can only target the one.

Requires more elaborate techniques these days, but at least I get lots of keys. :)

ccornchip

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks Stumbelina. I couldn't find any info on the cornering nerf, which is why I started the thread - I had to be sure that it wasn't just me.
I was wondering though, you mentioned that you can GA to a point on the edge of your screen, and then the arrow will head off towards the off-screen monster. How does that work with the cornering nerf: Must that monster still be in your line-of-sight even though it's two screens away? It seems very odd to say that something is in your line-of-sight and yet off-screen.

I had lots of trouble killing diablo in normal with my crappy little bow. Usually I'd shoot around a corner so that I could get him, but he couldn't get me. Is there a way of effectively killing diablo now? Can I stand in one of the alcoves so that I am out of his range and fire GAs? Which alcove? I remember last time diablo came all the way to Lord de Seis' seal. Perhaps standing in the entrance - hmm, but there's a pillar there... Perhaps I should stop being a whining newbie and go out and try. I'll be there by this weekend at least.

btw, I'm a believer that guided arrows should be able to pierce - but not the same monster twice.

NASE

Diabloii.Net Member
take on edge (runeword) and get a valk. Certainly in normal diablo will knock himself to dead on the thorns aurea by my experience.

Stumbelina

Diabloii.Net Member
Allowing guided to target something offscreen will work fine, but is restricted to line-of-sight just like when it's onscreen.

I kill Diablo often, but my techniques may not help you as much as they help me.

I generally walk around, even in hell mode, with maxed resists. Even though I use very low life (No points in vitality, around 450-500 life at endgame), I can usually withstand a partial attack of D's firehose or his flame wave.

If you're able to withstand either for at least a second or so, this may help.

I use guided, usually untargeted on right click, and simply outrun him. His attacks are preceded by arm movements, and I can usually predict what he's going to do. (Hands at sides of face, firehose is coming. Hands up, he's going to throw the flame wave). Once either attack is evident, run to the side (circling him), and start attacking again. The end of the firehose may hit me if I don't run far enough to the side, but I can easily survive the glancing blow. Large damage helps immensely, but you can wear him down eventually even with a rotten bow. Remember, though, you can't steal anything from D.

Also, if D starts running to you, move a bit and keep shooting. He cannot retarget himself while moving. He's going to aim for the spot where you were at the beginning of his run. This especially works if you have some "slow target" equipment on, or if you are using at least some cold attack. The slower he goes, the more time you have to blast him. He's also easier to hit while he's running.

By the way, if you see him look like he's going to throw a "frisbee", then the fire nova is coming. If you have decent resists, ignore it, as it does much less damage.

In a crowd, D also goes for anyone with a high elemental damage. If you're using something like a Harmony bow, be prepared for D to leave melee characters and come after you. This can be fun to watch, as the melee players will be saying "wazzup?", but it can be frustrating if you aren't prepared for his rush.