Guide: WS K Amazon

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
You're welcome. ;) Always glad to see that some people find these things useful.

Since there were no major screwups I'd appreciate if a Mod could link this into the guide compilation thread.

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
You're welcome. ;) Always glad to see that some people find these things useful.

Since there were no major screwups I'd appreciate if a Mod could link this into the guide compilation thread.
Yup I agree. This has become one of my favorite MF builds. One of my fav builds overall actually.

ZeN

Diabloii.Net Member
How would it fare in a /players 8 Cow run? Is fast enough or for that you should make all out LF javazon?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Imo there is no big difference between this and another 40% extra lightning damage from more synergy so I'd say it works about equally well. Still I prefer my blizzard sorc for cow runs.

asdfgah

Diabloii.Net Member
Can I have some advice on finding a +3 bow&crossbow skills bow please? Cows? Pits?

Where did you get yours NF? :wink3:

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Any area will do, really. I picked up a dozen +3 GMBs as a byproduct of MFing the WS K. Cows will do as well. My problem is I never realised that matriarchal bows are better which is why I don't have any...

mtzang

Diabloii.Net Member
I've got a white matriarchal bow but its superior so I can't get the socket recipe to work.. was wondering why until I checked the arreat summit. Sigh!

And noone in the trade forum seem to possess one of those white matriarchal bows. Anyways, is Wizardren a good substitute with the -resistance?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, wizendraw works too. It doesn't have to be a matriarchal bow either, of course. That's just the best choice. Any amazon bow with 4 sockets and +3 skills is neat.

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Quick question (I'm following your guide in HC): did you get your dex up to 75% blocking? Or would you recommend doing that?

Because if I'm going to 151 str for Tstrokes, might as well go to 190'ish for 75% blocking maybe? However 158 str/151dex leaves for about 170ish for vit, but you do have 75% blocking.

I made a 75 HC Javazon, but I'm about to remake her because all her stats are with tons of +str/dex gear to wear high end stuff and have decent (275+) vit. Because of this I can't switch gear to MF gear if I want to. Im thinking my new one might put hard points into str/dex for Stormshield + Tstrokes, or at least within 20 of each.

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh another thought: after going through your gear, I'm having trouble keeping near 70% resist all and having decent (~200) MF. Anyone have a good setup for this?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm pretty sure I have 75% block but it doesn't really matter if you have only 60 or 50 on the javelin switch if you know when you can go melee and when you can not. In this case it's somewhat of a moot point anyway as you will have said 150 dex by default and "+20 points here, -20 points there" things never make or break a char, anyway.

70% res all is totally redundant anyway. Poison can be as low as it gets. Cold is fine around zero, just because of cold nova, if it wasn't for that it would be like poison. Fire is only iffy in normal (act 3) or nightmare (FE), in hell it doesn't need to be overly high either. Lightning is the only thing that needs to be at 75% which is easy with just 2-3 grand charms and standard gear.

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm surprised you don't list putting a point into decoy earlier. You dont need to put points into the passives, just decoy + 2 prereqs. I've found decoy > tank + valk for LF grouping. In fact, many times I don't use a merc or valk, just decoy becuase she doesnt move, and groups everything perfectly for LF.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
A lot of things are being used in D2 merely because they've always been used. I.e. shadow masters and valks. Personally I found that I have no need for a tank so I do not put much emphasis on it.

I don't think there are very many situations where I actually cast my decoy, besides lister and the ancients I honestly don't believe I'd even bother. It isn't even part of the standard build because it's not necessary.

Spader

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice guide.
Im gonna try this one soon, but with poison instead of cold.

Advantages:
-3 more sp coz the poison javelins are prereqs in the original build
-No need to switch weapons all the time
-Shield (blocking, more defense)

Disadvantages:
-No freeze
-Less damage??? (or is it?)

Anything I've forgot?

/Spader

FrostBurn

Diabloii.Net Member
Poison does less damage over time, if you calculate on a frame by frame basis. Based on a LF/PJ build I had planned (not using Trang's gloves or Bramble:rolleyes: ), I calculated that my PJ would do ~900 dmg / 10 frames, compared to FA that would have done ~1900 dmg / 10 frames, using a Melody +3 MB.

Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Less resist, no block and constant weapon switching with FA, and faster killing and freezing in a smaller radius. More resist, maintaining block and enormous area of effect with PJ, but 4 second timer and lower damage per frame.

matchuk

Diabloii.Net Member
im building one atm this will be the gear:
- enigma (just too good to miss out)
- titans or tstrokes
- goldwrap
- chains
- highlords or res amulet
- war travs
- nagel/dwarf or raven when i get another
- whistans with pdiamond
- shakon with ptopaz
- on switch why not ice? imma try experiment with ice

that should be around 300-400 mf

question tho my titans is bit low 178 will that be enuff to be able to clear wsk with ease?

FrostBurn

Diabloii.Net Member
You list all that gear and then ask if your 178% ed Titan's is good enough to clear the WSK?

LF does not rely on physical damage for its devastating effects. You can clear the WSK with a low quality or cracked flying toothpick.

And Enigma and Ice? Sounds like a b.net build. Amazons have the most atrocious cast rate. Keep that in mind when you're tele-ing.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Gloams are Poison and Lightning Immune. As this is primarily a WS K runner build chosing these two elements is not very smart for this purpose.

Also, Poison looks stronger than it is. Let's say you got 30k over 15 seconds. That's 2k per second. Regardless of how often you attack. But if I have got a 2k Freezing arrow at 9 or 10 frames that's way more damage per second and that's what counts.

I do have a Poison / Lightning Zon but she I like her a lot less for any runs that this build. This one is one of my all time top 5 MF builds. Both in terms of strength and being fun to play.

d00m2k

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Gloams are Poison and Lightning Immune. As this is primarily a WS K runner build chosing these two elements is not very smart for this purpose.

Also, Poison looks stronger than it is. Let's say you got 30k over 15 seconds. That's 2k per second. Regardless of how often you attack. But if I have got a 2k Freezing arrow at 9 or 10 frames that's way more damage per second and that's what counts.

I do have a Poison / Lightning Zon but she I like her a lot less for any runs that this build. This one is one of my all time top 5 MF builds. Both in terms of strength and being fun to play.
I tested a build in single player for WSK, and listen to Nightfish. I believe the hardest enemy you'll face will be Gloams. Many people I asked say they simply remake the game for different mobs when they see them. They're immune to lightning and poison. They don't group well for FA. They do rediculous damage.

It is because of gloams that I recommend using Nightfish's build, however because of the potency of Dark Souls (willowwisps) I recommend 1) an early point into decoy and 2) Tgods. When Dark Souls attack your merc/valk the lightning comes through and hits you as well. A decoy casted near the gloams in the opposite direction as you draws their fire perfectly. The Tgod's allows you to take groups easier in HC. If you use Tgods, put the extra points Nightfish talks about into Pierce (5 + +skills should be fine)

My final build in HC Bnet is Nightfish's build + 1pt decoy + 2 prereqs, and extra points into Pierce (because I use Tgods instead of razortail). I recommend getting 20LF + 20CS/20FA + 10CA before putting 5 points total into pierce and 1point into decoy, then finish maxing CA for the FA synergy. The build is done around level 85, which is a good target. Extra points after this should be put into Pierce, as you will come closer to hitting 90% pierce with +skills for a really rediculous LF when combined with perfect grouping from the decoy.