Guide: WS K Amazon

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
chickenhed said:
Well I do have another question. How is this lady in comparison to your Fishymancer in doing these WSK runs?
She's definetly one of my top 5 WS K runners I currently have and not many characters I have left have the potential to compete for that position.

Compared to the fishymancer she comes close but doesn't win. She's more gear dependant (then again, what isn't?), kills at similar speed - some things go down faster, others go slower. She totally loses in terms of safety. Not that she's not safe, but I could die IRL and my fishymancer would finish his run unscathed on his own. The amazon has to keep on her toes more, just like a normal character. On the up side, if being a summoner is too boring for you, this is a better character for you due to direct damage skills.

Marvel

Diabloii.Net Member
You allways get a good and nice way to lay up the guides, very good work NF i hope to see more of your drops in your future runs =)

steelsixtyIV

Diabloii.Net Member
Wowzerz, another go-go gadget guide from the Fish. Well done again buddy :prop: :prop: :prop:
Now I have some more ideas for my magic item only zon. I think I'm going to try CA/IA though for the lower mana cost. I don't plan on running the WSK you know :azn:

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
steelsixtyIV said:
Now I have some more ideas for my magic item only zon. I think I'm going to try CA/IA though for the lower mana cost. I don't plan on running the WSK you know :azn:
I think you might be fooling yourself there. While the individual arrow does cost less mana you will need to attack much more often to kill. As long as you hit 1 extra monster with the splash damage you will be better off with freezing arrow. (consult skill calculator of your choice ;) I checked this for lvl 30 skills. FA costs about twice as much mana and does about 30% more damage, factor in the splash and you have a winner) Doesn't really have anything to do with running the WS K.

steelsixtyIV

Diabloii.Net Member
Hard to say Fishy, looking at the 'ole skill planner PS/CS makes a good alternative for a defensive shield lover like me and gives a nice alternative to mana intensive LF with IA for the really nasty meele monsters and LIs. The spash damage for FA lists 3.3 yards which is really poopie unless the monsters are really tightly packed. I don't know which way to go here because you have been right most of the time and I trust your experience :undecided:

Your guide is topps for the WSK and right on target (as always :thumbsup: ) but I'm just thinking early game progression and beginning NM with access to magic items only.

Nice one Mr. Fishy, still the good 'ol Fishymancer wins in WSK, but a nice writeup and something worth a try, even though I have my meteorb as my WSK runner:thumbsup:

DX

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
steelsixtyIV said:
Hard to say Fishy, looking at the 'ole skill planner PS/CS makes a good alternative for a defensive shield lover like me and gives a nice alternative to mana intensive LF with IA for the really nasty meele monsters and LIs. The spash damage for FA lists 3.3 yards which is really poopie unless the monsters are really tightly packed. I don't know which way to go here because you have been right most of the time and I trust your experience :undecided:

Your guide it topps for the WSK and right on target (as always :thumbsup: ) but I'm just thinking early game progression and beginning NM with access to magic items only.
Well I can send you my zon for testing then you'll see that you will pretty much always hit at least 2 enemies. (unless there's just one left)

If you have mana worries I might suggest Lightning Strike and Charged Strike. LS is one of my favorite skills but doesn't quite equal LF on rich chars. Also, if you are just interested in beating the game I would recommend the poison skills. They are really good untwinked and extremely safe because you can run around evading attacks while the poison does it's job.

But when it's cold elemental arrows I don't think FA loses to the other 2 under any circumstances. Could be wrong, of course. (then again, I'm a big fan of this skill for no reason I can put my finger on. It just feels... cool. Yes, the pun hurts me too)

As for the WS K... If you can make it there, you can make it everywhere. :badteeth:

DX-Crawler said:
Nice one Mr. Fishy, still the good 'ol Fishymancer wins in WSK, but a nice writeup and something worth a try, even though I have my meteorb as my WSK runner:thumbsup:
Yeah, the mancer prolly wins but I don't want to do more than, say, 100 runs with the same char so I try something new every now and then. Meteorb is one of my top 5 as well but I doubt she needed a guide.

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
It's not more damage because immo arrow has a one second casting timer. FA is not primarily used for crowd control reasons but because it does more damage.
Blimy, you’re right. What a shame on that skill, I really liked it but haven't used it since classic. When you say it, I recall reading some discussion about it and IIRC the timer was added to fix some lag issue (or something similar).

Maybe it's still viable if both synergies are maxed out but that's not possible here. :undecided:

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
EL BUMPO!

This needs to be on the front page! I've had a LOT of fun with this build. Great stuff!

Quick question, since I dont have a griffons, have you noticed significant kill speed increases with it once you attained it?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
It's not as big as the difference between a regular ribcracker and the upgraded version. Most notable difference is that baal melts a little faster. Lightning fury was pretty strong already and there is no real difference there. The biggest change is that my zon doesn't look stupid anymore (so long shako!).

TedDeeBoy

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice guide Nightfish.

The elusive stone of jordan is the perfect item for our fledgling amazon but that might not be available to you. Rare rings with resis, life and mana are nice, too. Dwarf Star is also an interesting alternative, it gives 40 life and 100% gold find which is a welcome addition on our runner. Nature’s Peace can be interesting for the rest in peace mod
I noticed under rings part of your gear selection used no mention of ravenfrost, which is often glued to an Amazon' finger. Also I see no other mention of CBF items. Did you use ravenfrost or any CBF items? If not, what was your rationale and how effective was that when battling cold enchanted enemies, especially gloam boss packs?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
I do not use any source of CBF and have never had any problems because of that. It's not like I died if I turn blue which doesn't even happen very often. It is just a matter of perspective. I get the feeling that people just use it becaues they always use it. Anything non-LI does before it even gets close enough to freeze me. Granted, a CE gloam pack can hit me but being slightly slowed is no problem. I mean, if it was that big of a deal people would cry more over holy freeze enchanted monsters. OKs decrep will also slow you. Sometimes you just gotta grit your teeth and roll with the punch.

Bloodfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a thought, but could this double as a WS K runner and a runner of Cows?

I've been thinking about making a Cow runner for a while now and if I could have one char who did both areas... well, it'd be a lot easier :)

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
For cows I'd get a blizzard sorc. I briefly tried this build there but to be honest I wasn't too happy about the performance compared to my icy sorceress. Might be different if you have a perfect griffon's eye and some rainbow facets to bring down the cows resistances.

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
I've actually started one of these and noticed something. Nothing important but...

Nightfish said:
Javelin Skills:
20 Lightning Fury
20 Charged Strike
6 Prerequisites

Bow Skills
20 Cold Arrow
20 Freezing Arrow
1 Prerequisite

Passive & Magic Skills
1 Pierce
2 Prerequisites

That’s a total of 86 Skillpoints which leaves a few points to customise the build. More on that later. Here’s why we use the main skills I mentioned:
Shouldn't it be 5 prerequisites in the javelin skill tree and a total of 89 points for the build?
20 (LF) + 20 (CS) + 5 (pre.) + 20 (CA) + 20 (FA) + 1 (pre.) + 1 (Pierce) + 2 (pre.) = 89

mwints

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice guide Mr Fish (or I believe it is Sir Nightfish now?)

I wish this had come out before I started my Javazon. I pumped up the Valk to like 17 and started placing points into strafe. I figured I found a darn Buriza and I should use it. This sounds much better and I really would like to have another WSK runner to help my Fishy when he gets there. Oh well, can always make a second one.

I'm with you, I like to have several MF characters to keep it interesting.

Thanks for another quality guide. Keep them coming! :thumbsup: