Guide: WS K Amazon

Carolus Rex

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Guide: WS K Amazon

This is a general Amazon question, and a nearly identical question was asked just a few posts ago, but for javelins, when you use up all the throwing quantity does it just poof? Say I use a titans revenge and get it to 0 quantity, does it poof on me? I think that happened to one of my generic white javelins earlier.

Fenrix

Banned

If the javelin has 'replenishes quantity', like the Titan's, it will reach 0 and stay there until you get a few back.

IIRC you can also repair any non-ethereal javelins to replenish their quantity.

Hell Gecko

Diabloii.Net Member

Me and my brother recently started playing Diablo 2 v1.12 upon learning of the upcoming Diablo 3. I went with Nightfish's WSK Amazon and my brother went with an Avenger Pally. We're doing pretty good and have just reached Hell. We've gone Players 8 the whole way together. Now We're in Act I, Blood Moore. Hell is a lot harder than expected (First time in Hell, last time we played we we're about 12 and 10 ;) )but we're trying to stay in Players 8. Was wondering if with my brother's conviction aura I could just quit lvling up my bow skills and try to max CS and LF. Figured my brother could take out lightning immunes and such.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I would think that you should max LF first. Isn't that what the guide recommends (haven't read it in a while)?

Also, there's no shame in toning down the /players setting a bit. Maybe you could just try /p7 since the item drops will be the same, and it will be just a bit easier.

The only problem with the conviction aura is that its radius isn't very large, so when you fire off-screen, you don't benefit from the aura.

Hell Gecko

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I what I meant was that I would give up on the rest of the bow skills and just max one of CS's synergies. Plus I don't really care about working on MF. I just want to beat hell for the first time and make my character as strong as possible. But I only play over LAN so I just wondered if we could kill faster with CS and LF at something crazy like slvl 30+, even though I would have to leave the bow skills behind.

Pijus

Diabloii.Net Member

No.

You need -elr% equipment to be able to rely on just the javelin skills. Besides, with conviction and a high pierce (85-100%), freezing arrow should be a sight to behold. Conviction should take care of AR, so the arrow would pierce very effectively, and deal lots of damage. They're actually much more cool than lightning fury :wink:

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick comments:
-Rhyme runeword shields would seem perfect for this build; surprised that this wasn't mentioned. %MF, %Block, Faster Block Rate, %Mana Regen, Cannot Be Frozen; %Gold Find. These are all top-notch mods!
-Raven frost is a nice ring with dex (blocking), cold damage (freezing arrow), cannot be frozen (freezing arrow), mana (w00t!), and cold absorb (not bad).
-Having tons of fun in nightmare, and can't wait to hit hell!

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick comments:
-Rhyme runeword shields would seem perfect for this build; surprised that this wasn't mentioned. %MF, %Block, Faster Block Rate, %Mana Regen, Cannot Be Frozen; %Gold Find. These are all top-notch mods!
-Raven frost is a nice ring with dex (blocking), cold damage (freezing arrow), cannot be frozen (freezing arrow), mana (w00t!), and cold absorb (not bad).
Rhyme: It must have been mentioned somewhere in the thread. My first fishy carried it.. (reread)

Raven: Well, it is standard. It's likely mentioned in the thread somewhere. (reread)

**My first reaction was: Of course it has!!

But, then I reread the first thread going through it carefully.

It is surely mention in later posts.

Fun in NM: yes, hell is when the fun begins!

WhereIsMyZod

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick comments:
I absolutaly agree on this. I'm also in nightmare and it is so fun!

Post mentioned SS but 156 str is way too much so i also decided to use Rhyme and i'm happy with it. Ravenfrost as well.

I was wondering does any of you have any idea about body armor? Skulder's and Tal's are nice but i was looking for something nicer if there is any of course :)

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I absolutaly agree on this. I'm also in nightmare and it is so fun!

Post mentioned SS but 156 str is way too much so i also decided to use Rhyme and i'm happy with it. Ravenfrost as well.

I was wondering does any of you have any idea about body armor? Skulder's and Tal's are nice but i was looking for something nicer if there is any of course :)
After skimming through, I'm shocked to find that NF has not mentioned it. RF is an ideal ring, and both skulder's and Tal's are very good mf armors.

I've had a few drinks, so I hope that my advice is still good....

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't mention RF because it does not add anything this build needs. You could argue that CBF is nice, but personally I don't need it and it makes little sense for me to suggest something I don't see as being useful. There aren't that many things that could freeze me, and there are a lot less things that actually survive long enough to freeze me. I'd probably use Nagelrings over RFs for this build.

The ideal ring for this build is the SoJ or the BKWB, because they both grant +1 to all skills and that's the only thing this build really needs. Anything else is worse. A lot.

EatSleepDiablo

Diabloii.Net Member

The ideal ring for this build is the SoJ or the BKWB, because they both grant +1 to all skills and that's the only thing this build really needs.
NF,

First, I want to thank you for your contributions to this forum on builds, MF, equipment choices, twinking, etc. I cannot tell you how many times I have changed my skill preferences, playstyle, or equipment choices after reading one of your guides. (e.g. my first amazon build included D/A/E; TY for discussing an alternative).

Second, as it relates to twinking this build, what in-between items do (or did) you like to use? "Envy" equipment then 1.09 Raven Claw/Irathas get to 25+-, but what is next? Viper (@29; for +1/resists), Crow Caw (@37; for IAS/OW—merc), Shaft (@38) or Skullders (@42), although DR/MF for latter two are not real priorities in NM. I am looking at Guardian Angel (@45), Que Hegans(@51), or even Black Hades (@53w/ 3os). Peasant Crown & Valk Wing (+2) before Shako (Face of Horror then Vamp for merc). Whitstan/Rhyme/Mosers are all end game worthy and equipable mid game.

I do not like to switch gear often, so one set-up pretty much takes me 8-10 levels.

Thanks again for your guidance and shared experiences throughout the years…

Kretschmer

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh I didn't mean that RF is a great ring, but I found one and it's not the worst option in the world untwinked. :)

The Rhyme shield would appear to be ideal, however...

Denize

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the guide.

I just started playing again and this character made my second mat/pat. Other than a really hard fight with the ancients (which I think would have been impossible without decoy, would love to hear how people do without), and my merc dying all the time to IM once I twinked over a Reaper's Toll from my blizzard sorc stuck in act 4 of hell, it went pretty easily. Looks like it'll be a really fun character to play.

cornail

Diabloii.Net Member

Thx for the awesome guide.

Now that 1.13 is out, I have started playing again and plan to build this WSK zon. Since I have never played a javazon, I ask you for advice.

By taking into account that respec is now possible to ease progression, I need advice on skill placement and crucial items early in Normal and in NM to lvl painlessly. I play SP softcore, partly twinked.

- What skills and items work best early (lvl 1-30)?
- What about going for one element to do some NM Meph runs and respec later to deal with immunes? (Is this needed?)

"Significant" items I have: a -33% Wizendraw, a +2 skill rare javelin w/ replenish & increased stack size, moderate merc gear w/ Insight+lifesteal)

Thx.

maxwolfie

Diabloii.Net Member

One thing I noted is that this build guide does not go into any detail in regards to stat point allocation - Can anyone clarify?

mattinm

Diabloii.Net Member

It'll be the standard answer in this case:

Strengh: Enough for gear
Dexterity: Enough for max blocking (I went with a Rhyme tower shield untwinked I believe)
Vitality: The rest
Energy: None

Max blocking can be forgone, but isn't really recommended, especially if you're thinking about running WSK and poking Frenzytaurs with CS (which mows them down extra fast).

Basically, it all depends on what gear you have, etc. If you're going untwinked, the Rhyme shield I mentioned above gives predictable blocking (and therefore dex) to shoot for. Strength can be a little high (~100) to allow for some leeway, and the rest into life.

Animation

Diabloii.Net Member

Man I hate Gloams. They are eating me alive. I just got my Fishyzon to the point where everything is done (I'm level 82) and I'm starting to throw spare points in Valkyrie (though I think I need to shift to Pierce since I only have 1 point there and no razortail).

And lemme tell you, Gloams drop the hammer on me. My lightning resist is 75 in Hell even with my bow equipped, and still one volley crushes me. I don't have great physical reflexes so I can't actually move my amazon out of the way. So I'm currently having to re-start every time I see gloams ... which usually means I never actually make it to the special packs in the throne room.

If I switch out to thundergod's vigor (I'm using an upped Goldwrap now) will that help me? I dont have a ton of magic find, so if I would only have 93% magic find (with my upped Goldwrap, I have 123%).

Should I continue re-starting when I see gloams, or should I switch to thundergod's vigor and put even more lightning resist in my inventory to hit my new LR max?

Oh and if it turns out that I just can't handle this build because I got it to 82 before realizing I was supposed to have gloam-dodging reflexes, are there any good TC 87 (or whatever the top treasure is) builds for any areas (WS K, or anything else) that an older guy with no reflexes and non-rich gear can do instead? :)

Thanks!

OH and in case it matters, my gear is WWS and Titans/Stormshield for weapons (pdiamond in stormshield). Tal Rasha headgear with ptopaz (24% MF). Smoke in Loricated Mail. Upped Goldwrap. Crescent Moon amulet. Raven Frost. Generic 15 resist all ring. Lava Gout. War Travellers (36% MF). Gheeds (28% MF). MF charm (5%). And lots of resistance charms.

Greebo

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm very surprised you're having this issue. FA freezes Gloams. Frozen Gloams don't shoot bolts.

Restarting seems like a bad idea. My advice: if you know there are gloams in an area, just cast Decoy ahead. Direction from which it gets fried will get you positions of the gloams. Then freeze & kill 'em.

There are plenty of other builds for other A85 areas. WSK is without a shadow of a doubt in my mind the hardest one of them all. Cheap and easy thing to do is Ancient Tunnels with a Blizzsorc.

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

TGod's is at least worth a try. I have that on my 1.10a Sorc, and the gloams still hurt (I did a couple trial runs in WSK), but didn't empty the red bulb. I don't know why lightning should still hurt with TGod's on and 85LR, but it's at least managable.

One idea I haven't seen explored is a Silence bow with some Multi to spray the gloams and blind them - the resists on that would really help (and would allow for a reliance on 2xpD Moser's on Jav switch) and you could FA them at your leisure once they don't see you.