Guide to the Lightning Sorceress(Single-Element)

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member
Guide to the Lightning Sorceress(Single-Element)

*This is one of my guides, from another forum. The lay-out will most likely come out messed up.

PvM Light/CL Sorceress V1.1

This guide was created to help you make your very own PvM Pure Light Sorceress. Some people avoid this build due to the fact that it's a single-element based character, but we have a way to take away the immunes. This build will focus on more than one gear set-up, due to some complaints on previous guides only focusing on one set of items. I have been playing this build for about 2 years now. I have tried many different set-ups, and their are a few that I prefer over all the others, and those are the ones I'll list.
*Note: This build is not recommended for SP use, due to the lack of High Rune drops, which are required to make an Infinity.
*Note: This is the revised version of-
http://www.diablo2.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30031#post30031

Table of Contents

1. Stat Distribution
2. Skill Allocation
3. Gear Selection (Merc Included)
4. FHR/FCR/FB Tables
5. Guide to Leveling
6. Special Thanks

1. Stat Distribution

Starting Attributes:

~Strength: 10
~Dexterity: 25
~Vitality: 10
~Energy: 35

Starting Stats

Hit Points: 40
Stamina: 74
Mana: 35

Gain Each Level

Life: +1
Stamina: +1
Mana: +2
1 Vitality point gives 2 Life
1 Vitality point gives 1 Stamina
1 Energy point gives 2 Mana

General Stat Distribution

~Strength: Only enough to equip all of your items, while calculating how much strength each of your items/charms add when equipped.

~Dexterity: Only enough to equip all of your items, while calculating how much dexterity each of your items/charms add when equipped.

~Vitality: Considering this is a vitality build,(with ES your damage would be extremely low, and ES isn't good for PvM due to mana burn), invest all of your stat points here after equipping all of your items.

~Energy: Again, this is a Vitality build, so none here.

2. Skill Allocation

Lightning Skill Tree:

20 into Lightning
20 into Lightning Mastery
20 into Chain Lightning
20 into Charged Bolt
1-20 into Nova (Max Nova last.)
1 into Telekinesis
1 into Teleport
1 into Thunderstorm
1 into Static Field

Fire Skill Tree:

1 into Warmth

Cold Skill Tree:

Some people like to put one point into a Cold sheild skill, but it's all about preference. I personally don't.

Skill Explanation:

~Lightning- One of your main skills. Only use it versus single enemies.
~Chain Lightning- One of your main skills. Use it for crowd control. Also great for TPK. :D
~Nova: Terribly under-rated. I find it a great skill, for most situations.
~Charged Bolt: Great for Boss-kills. Teleport on top of them, and cast like a mad man.
~Teleport: Main source of transportation. You won't find yourself running much.
~Thunderstorm: Helps add some almost constant damage. Recast it if it goes out.
~Static Feild: Great for Boss-kills. It only cuts threw about half of the life meter though.

3. Gear Selection (Merc Included)

~Griffons/Eschutas Build:

-Helmet-Griffons Eye
-Weapon-Eschutas Temper
-Sheild-Spirit Monarch
-Armor-Chains of Honor AP (Some people like DS for lower strength Req, but you need 156 to wear Monarches any ways.)
-Gloves-Magefists (You'll desperatly need the Regen.)
-Boots-Treks or GG Rare Boots
-Belt-Arachnids Mesh
-Amulet-Maras Kaleidoscope
-Rings- Any combination of SoJ/BK Wedding Band
-Charms-Hellfire Torch/Annihlus/Life or Resist SCs/Light Skiller GCs
This is probably the most damage achievable build I have listed, and one of the best. I will be remaking my L/CL Sorceress around this build soon.

Pros
Massive Damage
Nice -to opponents lightning resistances
Nice Life/Resistances
Nice FCR

Cons
Low mana
Too much reliability on Mercenary
Expensive

~Griffons/Infinity Build:

-Helmet-Griffons Eye
-2H Weapon-Infinity Voulge
-Armor-35 Resist Vipermagi
-Belt-Arachnids Mesh
-Amulet-2 Sorceress/12+FCR/Resists
-Rings-1x FCR Ring/1x SoJ or BK Wedding Band
This is a very effective build. It not only allows you to not have to worry about your Mercenary dying and Light immunes populating your screen, but opens up your Mercenary's weapon slot for Insight.

Pros
Huge -to opponents lightning resistances
Nice Life/Resistances
Nice FCR
You don't have to rely on your Mercenary.
Near infinite Mana

Cons
Expensive
Mid Damage

~Shako/Wizzardspike/Stormsheild Build:

-Helmet-Harlequin Crest
-Weapon-WizzardSpike
-Sheild-Stormsheild Eld'd
-Armor-Enigma
-Gloves-Magefists (You'll desperately need the Regen.)
-Boots-Waterwalks
-Belt-Arachnids Mesh
-Amulet-2 Sorceress/7+FCR/Resists/Dexterity
-Rings-2x FCR Rings/Dexterity
This is a set-up I came up with myself. It allows a great amount of Mana/Life/Resists, and Max Block.

Pros
Nice Life/Resistances/Mana
Nice FCR
Max Block
50DR
Not too expensive

Cons
Relatively low damage

~Griffons/Hoto Build:

-Helmet-Griffons Eye
-Weapon-Hoto Flail
-Sheild-Spirit Monarch
-Armor-Chains of Honor AP (Some people like DS for lower strength Req, but you need 156 to wear Monarches any ways.)
-Belt-Arachnids Mesh
-Amulet-Maras Kaleidoscope
-Rings- Any combination of SoJ/BK Wedding Band
This build is similiar to the Griffons/Eschutas Build, but it offers more resistances instead of more damage.

Pros
Great Damage
Nice Life/Great Resistances
Nice FCR

Cons
Low mana
Expensive

~Magic Find Build:

-Helmet-Harlequin Crest
-Weapon-Hoto Flail
-Sheild-Rhyme
-Armor-Tal's Plate
-Boots-War Traveller's
-Belt-Tal's Build
-Amulet-Tal's Amulet
-Rings-2x
-Charms-Hellfire Torch/Annihlus/Life or Resist SCs/Light Skiller GCs/Gheeds
This is the MF set-up. It allows massive amounts of +to MF, while keeping a steady kill/survivability rate.

Pros
Nice MF
Relatively Cheap

Cons
Low mana
Low Damage
Low Resistances
Low Life/Mana

Switch Weapon/Sheild Set-up
-Weapon- CTA Crystal Sword or Flail
-Sheild- Spirit Monarch
This set-up allows you to recieve a great boost in Life/Mana.

~Infinity Merc Build: (Only for Non-Infinity using builds)

-Helmet-Andys/Vamps/Rockstopper
-Weapon-Eth CA/CV Infinity
-Armor-Fort Armor/Smoke/ Eth Shaft

~Insight Merc Build: (Only for Infinity Build)

-Helmet-Andys/Vamps/Rockstopper
-Weapon-Eth CA/CV Insight
-Armor-Fort Armor/Smoke/ Eth Shaft

*Note-The Shako/Wizzy build is one of my own. Not sure if anyone else has tried it, but it works very well. It offers excellent Life/Mana, Max Block/50 DR while keeping your resists high. At first glance, you may think the damage won't be high enough because of the Wizzardspike, but with 7GCs, I was hitting 31k Lightning damage.

4. FHR/FCR Tables

Faster Cast Rate
FCR %
0 13frames
9 12frames
20 11frames
37 10frames
63 9frames
~105 8frames
200 7frames

Lightning / Chain Lightning / Inferno Faster Cast Rates
FCR %
0 19frames
7 18frames
15 17frames
23 16frames
37 15frames
52 14frames
78 13frames
~117 12frames
194 11frames

Hit Recover Rates - Sorc and conveniently Act 2 merc's
FHR %
0 15frames
5 14frames
9 13frames
14 12frames
20 11frames
~30 10frames
42 9frames
60 8frames
86 7frames
142 6frames
280 5frames

Faster Block Rates
FHR %
0 9frames
7 8frames
15 7frames
27 6frames
48 5frames
86 4frames
200 3frames

~ = What we'll be aiming for.

5. Guide to Leveling

Classic Leveling

Normal Difficulty
1-15: Tristram Runs
15-20: Tomb Runs
20-25: Cow Runs
25-26: Ancients
26-40: Baal Runs

Nightmare Difficulty
40-41: Ancients
41-60: Baal Runs.

Hell Difficulty
60-61: Ancients
61-80: Baal Runs
80-XX: Chaos/Baal runs.( I prefer Chaos, but its really not too much of a difference.)

One of the best places to run for Exp. with your Sorceress will be the Chaos Sanctuary. It's great for Exp. and item drops, and not nearly as boring as Baal runs, so do all of your runs there.

Glitch Rush

Get a freind to glitch rush you to Act4 Hell.(Rush through Act1-5 Normal, and find a baal for quest game, and glitch off some one who can get the quest by being in his party when baal is killed. Repeat in Nightmare. Get rushed from Hell Act1-4.)
After you have recieved the rush to Hell Act4, begin chaos games.
1-25 is kind of slow, but after that it definetly picks up the pace.

1-60 Hell Chaos Runs.
60-61 Hell Ancients
61-80 Hell Baal Runs.
80-XX- Chaos/Baal Runs. ( I prefer Chaos, but its not really too much of a difference.)

6. Special Thanks

I have been playing this build for a while now, and I consider it one of my favorites. It's extremely fun and effective. Some people prefer the cookie-cutter hammerdin, but this one can be just as effective.

Special thanks to:
www.diablo2.com for the great forums.
www.diabloii.net for the fhr/fcr/fb tables
And everyone who reads and gives inputs.

*Edited in Pros and Cons of gear set-ups. Edited in Switch Weapon/Sheild.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Guide to the Lightning Sorceress(Single-Element)

What on earth made you put Enigma as a sorc armor?

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member

What on earth made you put Enigma as a sorc armor?
Many people underestimate Nigma for sorcs.
If you can cover the resists, it makes an excellent sorc armor, and I didn't recommend it for all the builds.

Dirkw

Diabloii.Net Member

which is exactly the problem. Only with wiz spike can you cover the res.

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member

which is exactly the problem. Only with wiz spike can you cover the res.
Please read through the guide fully. The only set-up that I recommended nigma on is a set-up that used wizzardspike.

Darke Rahl

Diabloii.Net Member

A couple of notes on the Infinity build :

Infinity and Vita sorcs don't get along too well,with the usual setup (Griff,arach,viper,treks..) you will have low FHR (20%),low resistances (mine are 23/30/30 with perf res torch and anni) and no blocking whatsoever.I would go for an ES build like Xenon's one with emphasis on lighting instead of nova.

Also 117 FCR is not required for PvM from my experience, you're better off with 2xSoj and a 2sorc/10 FCR or 3 Light/10 FCR; 2 Sorceress/12+FCR/Resists can be pretty damn expensive too.

Last but this is just my personal preference Insight is not really needed,with enough +skills you'll be able to tele around without ever running out of mana.My Blessed Aim (he does need the AR boost) merc gear of choice is Eth Obedience (for the CB and ctc Enchant),Guillame and Eth Forti.With this setup you'll take down lighting immune mobs,even after conviction,and bosses (D-clone included) with extreme ease and speed :thumbup:

All in all not a bad guide,gives an idea of the various setups a light soso can go for :).

On a side note about blocking
Lightning and Chain Lightning have such a slow cast animation that interruption caused by block animation hurts more than it does for most other builds

Last edited:

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member

A couple of notes on the Infinity build :

Infinity and Vita sorcs don't get along too well,with the usual setup (Griff,arach,viper,treks..) you will have low FHR (20%),low resistances (mine are 23/30/30 with perf res torch and anni) and no blocking whatsoever.I would go for an ES build like Xenon's one with emphasis on lighting instead of nova.

Also 117 FCR is not required for PvM from my experience, you're better off with 2xSoj and a 2sorc/10 FCR or 3 Light/10 FCR; 2 Sorceress/12+FCR/Resists can be pretty damn expensive too.

Last but this is just my personal preference Insight is not really needed,with enough +skills you'll be able to tele around without ever running out of mana.My Blessed Aim (he does need the AR boost) merc gear of choice is Eth Obedience (for the CB and ctc Enchant),Guillame and Eth Forti.With this setup you'll take down lighting immune mobs,even after conviction,and bosses (D-clone included) with extreme ease and speed :thumbup:

All in all not a bad guide,gives an idea of the various setups a light soso can go for :).

Indeed, I'm not all that familiar with Infinity build sorcs, but It's a great option, so I couldn't help not to put it up there. I'll edit soon to show that the Infinity build should use ES, but considering this is Pvm would that be a good option? Mana burn would throttle that, and it would greatly nerf your allready low damage.
As far as Insight goes, without spirit you'll be losing a good chunk of mana, add to the fact that you aren't using shako. Then on top of that, you won't need Infinity on your merc, so I think Insight's a superior option. Remember this is coming from someone with little experience with "Infinity" weilding sorceress's.

For the amulet, even a decent 2/FCR amulet can be found rather cheap. if your on a tight budget, you can even go for 2Light/FCR.

In my experience with sorceress's, which goes back 3-4years, the higher FCR always gave me a much better killing rate. So that made me build all of my light sorceress's around atleast that 117FCR build.

Thanks for the contructive input, and reading the guide. Hope you enjoyed it.
Thanks, Josh.

Darke Rahl

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll edit soon to show that the Infinity build should use ES, but considering this is Pvm would that be a good option? Mana burn would throttle that, and it would greatly nerf your allready low damage.
Infinity wielding sorcs are very effective in PvM. D-Clone can be taken down with ease,not to mention chaos running :jig:
Mana burn isn't a concern,if you happen to tele in a mana consuming boss pack chug a rejuv and move on.Mobs will usually die in 1-2 casts so you won't be getting hit a lot too.
About the damage -55 res really makes a difference, there was a thread with the math but i can't find it right now.Basically,if i remember well, it should make up for the loss of +skill not to mention the higher damage vs broken immunities.

As far as Insight goes, without spirit you'll be losing a good chunk of mana, add to the fact that you aren't using shako. Then on top of that, you won't need Infinity on your merc, so I think Insight's a superior option. Remember this is coming from someone with little experience with "Infinity" weilding sorceress's.
That is only my personal preference,and again if you're going for an ES build you'll have around 2k mana wich lets you go on endlessly.The CB/High AR merc makes up for the somewhat lacking boss killing speed (in multiplayer games)
In my experience with sorceress's, which goes back 3-4years, the higher FCR always gave me a much better killing rate. So that made me build all of my light sorceress's around atleast that 117FCR build.
I think this is more about personal choice, i'd suggest trying both and see wich one you're feeling more comfortable with :)

Last edited:

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member

Infinity wielding sorcs are very effective in PvM. D-Clone can be taken down with ease,not to mention chaos running :jig:
Mana burn isn't a concern,if you happen to tele in a mana consuming boss pack chug a rejuv and move on.Mobs will usually die in 1-2 casts so you won't be getting hit a lot too.
About the damage -55 res really makes a difference, there was a thread with the math but i can't find it right now.Basically,if i remember well, it should make up for the loss of +skill not to mention the higher damage vs broken immunities.

That is only my personal preference,and again if you're going for an ES build you'll have around 2k mana wich lets you go on endlessy.The CB/High AR merc makes up for the somewhat lacking boss killing speed (in multiplayer games)

I think this is more about personal choice, i'd suggest trying both and see with wich one you're feeling more comfortable :)
I'll try to get some research done on this, thanks. Open for all other opinions.

Darke Rahl

Diabloii.Net Member

Baal and the ghosts he spawns have mana burn,in fact due to this i was able to only get him to 1/3 life before dying

USEast Tristan

Diabloii.Net Member

This is a variant on the OP's build I use in pvm.

200fcr lite sorc on OP's build:

-Helmet- Facet Griffons Eye................. (25fcr)
-Weapon- Wizzy................................. (75fcr)
-Shield- 35 Spirit Monarch..................... (110fcr)
-Armor- Faceted Vipermagi ....................(140fcr)
-Gloves- Magefists ...............................(160fcr)
-Boots- War Traveler or Treks
-Belt- Arachnids Mesh ...........................(180fcr)
-Amulet- 10fcr, +3 lite skills ammy ...........(190fcr)
-Ring 1- any 10fcr rare ring of awesome.... (200fcr)
-Ring 2- soj (swap in nature's peace if you like to run nihlathak)
-Charms- Hellfire Torch / Annihlus / 3-4skillers

Pros
the fast casting is very addictive. This sorc tears anything to shreds. My personal record on meph is 0.8s --- 2 statics and a high roll on Lightning.

Cons
Lower resilience. You cannot use shako, stormshield, OR CoH. Even though you still have max resistances (I love you, wizardspike), you may find yourself wishing you had more %DR at times.
Quite expensive

If you think 200fcr is silly in pvm, well... you might want to actually try it out and reconsider! ^^;

killian27

Diabloii.Net Member

Guide is looking good. You are soliciting feedback, right? I'd suggest a different build for the infinity sorc.

Gear:
Griffons (socketed with shael, you will want to hit at least the 60fhr bp even for pvm)
Infinity Scythe (I just like the looks of scythe, it'll be glitched on so noone else can see it anyway)
Upped Um'd 35res Vipermagi
Magefist
Arach belt
eth sandstorm treks (the eth does effect how much str you will have to add, since eth treks req 81, and highest other piece is upped vipermage at 84)(fhr/triple resist boots could be used, but I don't own any)
Amulet 2 sorc 10+fcr/resist/etc/etc
rings: if your amulet has 15fcr on it you can wear a soj, else you must wear two fcr rings (to reach 117fcr)... hopefully that have str/mana or str/life + resists
2x12fhr light gc's
5xplain or lifers (lifers preferred of course... pricy though)
1x12fhr/55mana
1x 56mana/40life
(You could use all lifers and fhr's... but I only have a couple of lifers)
2x 5fhr/mana sc's
rest life/mana sc's
torch (stats over resists)
anni (stats over resists)

that is my charm selection... you may want all skillers instead of the 2xgrands with mana/life/fhr... but for pvp I find them to help survivability... sometimes when chaosing i sub 2 light skillers for those two.

Switch gear:
cta/lidless (your str will be 84 so spirit shield is out)

Skills: 100basevita/rest mana

20 Light mastery
20 Chain Lightning
20 Lightning
rest charged bolt
1pt nova
1pt tstorm
1pt tele
16pt tk (break even point for 1:1 mana/life absorbed)
1pt static
1pt warmth
1pt es

Pros:
You can solo anything, well other than ubers, but you can help someone else with ubers =)
Fun in PVP
Great runner for keys or rushs

Cons:
Low mf - though you can tweak for that, just lose killspeed

aoaa

Diabloii.Net Member

Guide is looking good. You are soliciting feedback, right? I'd suggest a different build for the infinity sorc.

Gear:
Griffons (socketed with shael, you will want to hit at least the 60fhr bp even for pvm)
Infinity Scythe (I just like the looks of scythe, it'll be glitched on so noone else can see it anyway)
Upped Um'd 35res Vipermagi
Magefist
Arach belt
eth sandstorm treks (the eth does effect how much str you will have to add, since eth treks req 81, and highest other piece is upped vipermage at 84)(fhr/triple resist boots could be used, but I don't own any)
Amulet 2 sorc 10+fcr/resist/etc/etc
rings: if your amulet has 15fcr on it you can wear a soj, else you must wear two fcr rings (to reach 117fcr)... hopefully that have str/mana or str/life + resists
2x12fhr light gc's
5xplain or lifers (lifers preferred of course... pricy though)
1x12fhr/55mana
1x 56mana/40life
(You could use all lifers and fhr's... but I only have a couple of lifers)
2x 5fhr/mana sc's
rest life/mana sc's
torch (stats over resists)
anni (stats over resists)

that is my charm selection... you may want all skillers instead of the 2xgrands with mana/life/fhr... but for pvp I find them to help survivability... sometimes when chaosing i sub 2 light skillers for those two.

Switch gear:
cta/lidless (your str will be 84 so spirit shield is out)

Skills: 100basevita/rest mana

20 Light mastery
20 Chain Lightning
20 Lightning
rest charged bolt
1pt nova
1pt tstorm
1pt tele
16pt tk (break even point for 1:1 mana/life absorbed)
1pt static
1pt warmth
1pt es

Pros:
You can solo anything, well other than ubers, but you can help someone else with ubers =)
Fun in PVP
Great runner for keys or rushs

Cons:
Low mf - though you can tweak for that, just lose killspeed
That's another nice build. Only thing I might change is swapping the mages for Trangs, and the Treks for a nice pair of rare boots.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

Solid guides indeed.... I might make one if I decide to play some softcore also this ladder like last ladder.