Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guide to the Lich Lord (rev 1)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Damric, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Guide to the Lich Lord (rev 1)

Guide to the Lich Lord

Disclamer: This guide is intended for experienced 1.10 ladder players with access to an Enigma. It is also recccomended that you view all stickies in the necromancer forum. If you alter this character build I will not be liable to your failure.

What is a Lich Lord?

A Lich Lord is what I call my necromancer who specializes in skeletal mage (liches). Since there is not a Lord of Mages guide, I am submitting you this. This build is effective in Hell difficulty versus monsters and players alike. The major focus of your damage will be elemental from the mages, and minor physical from mercinary.Your defences will be your summons, maximum blocking%, and descent life/resists.
    A pack of 16 level 40 Skeletal Mages with level 40 Mastery is a killing machine.

Statistics

Strength: Enough to wear gear. Keep in mind that Enigma adds a lot of strength and that Marrowwalks require 118 strength. Expect more than 50 but less than 100 hard points.

Dexterity: Enough to achieve maximum block % with homunculus. Expect around 200 hard points end game.

Vitality: Everything else.

Energy: Base. Insight is lvl 27 and provides enough mana to get all your minions summoned. On non-ladder you may need more mana.

Skills

20 points: Raise Skeletal Mage, Skeleton Mastery, Golem Mastery, Lower Resist.

1 Point: All prerequisites, all Golems, Summon Resist, Revive, Bone Armor. Optional 1 point Bone Wall.

Corpse Explosion: Place the rest of your points here to increase its range.

Mercinary

I have had great success with 3 different Mercinary Set-ups.

Act 2 Nightmare Combat (Thorns Aura): For the richest players. I gave mine Ethereal Infinty, Ethereal Fortitude, Andariels Visage. This guy increases the damage of your mages and does huge physical damage. This guy is the best but he dies often from Iron Maiden Oblivion Knights.

Act 1 Normal Fire Rogue: For the rich also. Use Faith Bow, Duress or Fortitude armor or Bramble, Guillame's Face. She can attack from "Blob Mode" making her especially effective versus players and bosses.

Act 1 Fire Rogue: Alternate. For less rich players I suggest an Edge bow, Duress armor or Bramble (if you can afford), and Guillame's Face.

Your Gear

End Game: Um'd Harlequin Crest, Enigma mage plate, Mage Fist, Homunoculus with Um/perfect diamond, 2 Stones of Jordan or Bul Katho's Wedding bands or both, Arachnid Mesh, Marrowwalk, Arm of King Leoric with resist jewel, +3 Summon Amulet with +Life. Also get as many +1 Summon skill grand charms as you can. For small charms use resists and fast hit recovery.

On Switch: Either Wizardspike or Call to Arms with Splendor or Spirit.

Why Magefist instead of Trang's?

It's my preference to have the mana regeneration and +1 fire skill for Corpse Explode. Either glove works well though.

Strategy

What is "blob mode"?

Blob mode is reviving a large creature and teleporting, causing all your minions to stack. This is the most effective way for your mages to attack. They will fire in a stream, annihilating all in thier path. This also keeps you protected but is not 100% so better have good blocking just in case. An act 2 mercinary usually cannot attack like this but a rogue merc still attacks.

Why Maximum Lower Resist?

There is more chance to break an immunity at very high levels. The area of effect is huge at high levels

Why maximum golem mastery?

This is so you can make a "Mana Golem". Make an Iron Golem out of any Insight polearm. This let's your act 2 mercinary use something else useful such as Infinity. With base mana you will find you will need meditation to keep up your summoning and spellcasting needs.

Won't the "Mana Golem" die?

The little bugger is immune to poison and electricity and has high fire and cold resists. Also mine has around Ten-thousand life at lvl 40 golem mastery with 1 point invested in Iron Golem. Usually he is protected in "blob mode" anyway. And geeze if he dies its not too hard to spend a Sol rune on something so useful.

Non-ladder golem?

Clay works fine. Also Immortal King's Mauls make Iron Golems that are completely immune to elements, good for boss killing. Fire Golems look cool enough to spend one point in it.

How do I summon my army?

Let your mercinary and golem get a kill. Use Amplify Damage to help him. I usually summon regular Skeleton Warriors first, then Skeleton Mages, then Revives. More than one poison mage and cold mage is a waste. Weed out the extras.

Then What?

Find a Big monster to revive. In "blob mode" you simple tele around and kill everything. Use Corpse Explosion if you feel like making messes after you have a full army.

Can I kill Bosses?

Yes. Decrepify them, teleport on them, step back and let your mercinary cut them down. Your mercinary should have high% crushing blow. Your mages finish the job. Even Hell Baal can be disposed of in less than a minute.

Is this PvP viable?

Yes. Few characters can hit you and hurt you badly. I wouldn't duel an auradin/torchadin at all. Particularly be careful of Lightning Fury Amazons and Splash damage from Fireballs. I have found that Bone Spears and Frozen Orbs do not Penetrate "blob mode". Whirlwind barbs are easily destroyed by Thorns and Amplify damage. Hammers will kill your minions but only after a few seconds which you should kill the paladin by then. With practice this is a very fun PvP character.

What do I name my character?

I named my latest character "minion_blob"

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Much better. :thumbsup:

3. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

All necromancers,

There has been lots of questions about mages lately. I hope this guide is a benefit. Please give inputs (good and bad) so we can get a mage guide stickied and hopefully into the compendium.

Thanks,

Damric

4. stevek1452

stevek1452 IncGamers Member

could you show any kind of damage tables for the mages. and do they gain bonuses from fana,conc,might??

5. compubuy

compubuy IncGamers Member

Very Nice! I still like my MageWarden idea better though.

Poison Bone Tree

20 PDagger
    20 PExplosion
    20 PNova
    1 All other skills on Tree

Summoning Tree

20 SM
    20 RSM
    1 RS, CG, GM, SR

Nothing into curses. However use a Splendored white head spawned with LR and Revive (decrep would also be nice).

PVM: Bone prison: LR : Nova: while Mages/ranged revives do their thing... repeat.

PVP: TeleSpam LR/Nova while Mages/skeletons/revives do their thing. (Maybe all light mages since Infinity lowers light resist?)

Something like Death web, FCR circlet, FCR ammy, Enigma (or telecharged circlet/bramble), Trang gloves, Soj/soj or soj/raven, Arachnid, Marrow/Trek, Spendored Necro head, thorns merc/infinity, gumby (better than IG, and is quickly, cheaply recastable.)

Sure, there have been "jailkeeper" guides, but they never suggest a fully snyergized Nova with nothing into curses. My idea of the white head > previously suggested mage/bone prison builds and actually quite different than those previously submitted.

Besides Mage Warden is a better name which incorporates the whole idea of the build: jailor, commander, and what is actually going on-- a war den of Mages!

6. Zigot_HD

Zigot_HD IncGamers Member

ok if you make a iron golem from an insight polearm, does it have the med aura on him?..... thats' would be cool!!!

Z

7. Mad Mantis

Yes, the Golem will have the aura.

8. apex

apex IncGamers Member

golems dont stick after games do they? if not this wouldnt be really a viable thing to cook up every game, but this build does sound interesting and if and when i get enigma i might pop it a try

9. bruthor

bruthor IncGamers Member

They stick after each game.

PVP: TeleSpam LR/Nova while Mages/skeletons/revives do their thing. (Maybe all light mages since Infinity lowers light resist?)

The -resist mod works only for the one equipping it. Have 50/50 fire lightning +1cold or so for pvp.

10. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Ok so let me update this guide for 1.11.

You don't need to use Marrowwalk boots, but the +2 will add some damage. Too bad your Bone armor won't be much now, even more reason to get 75% blocking. There are plenty of other good boots I would consider since Marrows are nerfed a bit. I might still use Marrows just for sake of best possible offence.

As I said before this is quite a rich man's character. I made this guy late in last ladder season. If for some reason you have an extra Enigma, Infinity, and lots of junk 4 socket poles with plenty of Sol runes, this is a very effective and very fun build.

11. zeskelnec

zeskelnec IncGamers Member

Golem resistance

Hi,
    Where did you get this information you gave about the iron golem?
    "The little bugger golem is immune to poison and has high resist vs cold and fire ". "make it from IK maul it will be completely immune"?
    Can someone confirm it ? Still valid in 1.11b ?

I made an iron golem from a pal shield 4pdiamomd, giving it 115 resist, the golem is not immune ! So, as I can't see any mod on IK maul related to that I'm puzzled. If it's true , well , great, I will play again my ironmancer.
    Cheers

12. Mad Mantis

And how did you check this?

We had a discussion a while ago about this and another forum member did some tests confirming the stacking of resists to get an elemental immune IG. I don’t think it has been retested since.

13. zeskelnec

If I remember well, it was in solo hell against "amp'ed" monsters with lightning bolts (LE may be) and with spectral hit, the iron golem made out of "the pal shield 115 all resist" went down in 3 sec without beeing touched. Moreover the monster did not get damage. There I thought it was only elemental damage and not physical as thorns and amp did not work. I made another one with nearly the same high resist and it got the same desperate end closely followed by my necro's death again.
    Inculding +skills, the iron golem was lvl 18 , GMastery lvl 16, summon resist 5 or 6.

I knew that resist stack on IG , that's why I used the 4pdiam shield with 24% ED.

14. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Alrighty, let me clear things up for you.

In 1.11 an Iron Golem can still be 100% immune to elemental/poison.

If your golem died it was from physical and you letting it get swarmed, not a good idea unless it is about lvl 45 golem mastery to get the 10k life.

The thorns damage is insignificant and the golem won't do much damage unless you make it from a crushing blow or high elemental damage weapon like a glimmershred.

Mana Golems work good with this build because they can hide among the other minions and effectively never die, EVER, unless you are stupid enough to die somehow behind 50+ minions.

""""Why maximum golem mastery?

This is so you can make a "Mana Golem". Make an Iron Golem out of any Insight polearm. This let's your act 2 mercinary use something else useful such as Infinity. With base mana you will find you will need meditation to keep up your summoning and spellcasting needs.

Won't the "Mana Golem" die?

The little bugger is immune to poison and electricity and has high fire and cold resists. Also mine has around Ten-thousand life at lvl 40 golem mastery with 1 point invested in Iron Golem. Usually he is protected in "blob mode" anyway. And geeze if he dies its not too hard to spend a Sol rune on something so useful."""""

15. zeskelnec

Thanks Damric for your answer. Unfortunately I play No ladder, infinity and insight cannot be used.

But your reply raised some doubts.
    In hell, with 50% physical dmg reduction , Iron golem 18 should return thorns 405% /2, so 200%. If the monster was attacking him physically with such power, I should have seen a decrease in it's life bar, and I remind clearly the golem was quite far from the monster. On top of that, IG was made from a shield with quite high xx% block. So, the metal guy was reaaally unlucky.
    I admit anyway that its level was not yet optimal, and as a first build on IG I screwed it up, with too many points in Fire Golem , bone spear and skeletons.

In fine, I may reconsider to make another one with more thoughts.

PLease, be so kind to provide me a link or an explanation on how I can calculate the resistance of the IG to elemental / poison. As you said it is immune to Psn and light, and highly resistant to fire and cold. How do you calculate that, and what does IK maul bring to the resistance of the IG ?
    Is it something related to the type of elemental attack the minion is delivering ?
    psn mage become immune to psn ?
    Then IK maul features of the full IK set are taken into account ?

Thanks, and sorry, my first post in the thread was not a criticism, just a big question mark.

16. Pain

Pain Diablo: IncGamers Member

To clarify, IRON Golems stick around game to game. The other types do not.

17. Mad Mantis

This was scrapped in patch 1.10. There are still a lot of monsters with damage reduction, but global 50% was removed.

Check this.

18. zeskelnec

Great thanks Mad Mantis.

The table is outstanding and very user-friendly. I understand now why you could reply so fast in all threads related to skel /mage /golem features.

Just for my curiosity, would you have any answer on how do IK maul provide full imunity to IG (because there is no "+resist" on it) , or a description / mechanism on how the item influences the IG.
    The only rule I know up to now is that the item properties (CB, dmg, resist from shield...) are given to the IG. That's why i do not see the trick with IK.
    I could not find detailed threads on that.

19. Mad Mantis

The only way you can try to make a quad immune IG is to socket it with resist jewels and get a high level Summon Resist. The maul itself doesn't give resists and thus has nothing to do with making an immune IG.

20. JasonBriggs

JasonBriggs IncGamers Member

Would this build work without enigma? It would just be less effective right?

Thanks, Briggzy