Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guide to Hellforge Rushing in 1.11b.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jantia, Sep 3, 2006.

1. jantia

jantia Banned

Guide to Hellforge Rushing in 1.11b.

Introduction

Hellforge rushing is the process in which someone rushes multiple characters to Hell for the act IV quest II reward, which is a random rune drop between hel and gul. This process is used by a few members of the SPF as a methodical way to acquire higher runes such as Vex, Ohm, Lo and sometimes even Jah or Ber.

Most members choose to do these rushes in 1.09, where there are no level restrictions on the Baal quests normal and nightmare, as well as less quests needed to reach hell, which allows for faster rushes.

However, some members feel that switching back is a little cheesy/don't want to deal with the hassle/don't want to restart and twink a sorc. This is a guide for these people.

The concept behind 1.11b rushes is that although you normally have to be lvl 20/40 to complete normal/nightmare, any character who is partied with a character that can get a quest, will also get the quest. So, if I am lvl 40, and I am killing Baal for the first time, anybody partied with me, is eligible to recieve that quest, be he lvl1 or 99.

Therefore, for every one character you lvl up to lvl 40, you can get 6 more into hell.

What you will need

One Enchantress
    One Sorceress/teleport character capable of easily blasting through acts 1-3 in hell.
    One set of twinking gear.
    One or more computers that can handle running (between all of them), 8 instances of Diablo.

The Enchantress

Skill Distribution:

20 Warmth
    20 Enchant
    2 Prereqs
    Rest into Fire Master

You want to have a high level of enchant, but after a certain point it becomes overkill. Level 45 to be able to wear +3 ammys/circlets will usually give you enough damage on your enchant, unless you are lacking more that +5 to fire skills/+8 to echant, in which case it may be advantageous to level up more to boost your firemastery/wear better items.

Ideal Gear:
    +3 Fire skills circlet (w/ FRW ideal)
    +3 Fire skills amulet
    Spirit Shroud/Skin of the Vipermagi
    +3 enchant leaf staff
    harmony bow on switch
    Mavina's Belt
    Mage Fists
    Dual SoJ
    Sanders Riprap

In Inventory:
    Frw charms/Burning skillers
    Cube
    Tome of TP

Your job is to enchant so its nice to get as many +fire skills as possible. Also, since you will be helping your rushee trist run, you will want to have a lot of FRW to get there quickly. Probably the most ideal version would be a high level enchantress with maxed teleport and 105 FCR, but this serves the purpose well enough.

As long as your enchant reaches at least 1k damage, you are good to go. Dual SoJ's are ideal gear, but they are certainly not needed. Neither are the burning skillers. Get about +10 to enchant and you are good to go. I had +14 on mine and no charms.

The Rusher (sorc):

Skills:

Go with any type of sorc that you know will not have trouble rushing a character through acts 1-3 in hell. I chose a Blizz Sorc, which works fine with a might merc. IF you are a dual element sorc and not very well outfitted, you may struggle with Mephisto/Duriel with eight people in the game, but otherwise, a Blizz sorc, a MeteoOrb, a Blizzballer or a well geared Lightning sorc are all good choices.

Gear:

There are no strict guidelines. You just want to hit 105 FCR and have maxed resists to Fire and Lightning in Hell. I don't think cold or poison resists are needed.

What my sorc uses:

Nightwing's Veil (cold faceted)
    Tal's armor (ptopazed)
    Tal's ammy
    Tal's belt
    Occulus (resist all/mf jewel)
    Spirit Monarch
    Trang Oul's Claws
    War Travelers
    Ravenfrost
    Dwarfstar

With Charms it hits
    Hits 105 FCR, 1k life, no block, 500 mana and 360 MF.

Basically its just my MF sorc but with Ravenfrosts/Dwarf stars for added protection insteadof two*nagels.

Merc:
    Do the normal merc thing. One item I highly recommend for RWM/RRM users is the runeword "Insight". A godsend for teleporters, this will save you a lot of mana pots.

Twinking Gear:

Khalim's Completed Flail
    2*Cathans Seal
    1*cathan's amulet
    1*Cathan's helm
    1*twitchthroe/Stealth
    1*Death's Hand
    1*Death's Sash
    1* Hsaru's boots

1*Ravenclaw on switch
    1*Vidala's Fetlocks in stash.

I usually just place all the items on the intended rushee via ATMA so I auto equip when I can wear each piece. You don't really need any of these (other than the boots/ravenclaw) but they help. The rushee can be any character you like. I like the paladin for he is able to use zeal and then vigor later on, as well as salvation.

The rushing

lvl 1-15: (10-15 minutes)

The Enchantress creates a normal game, and the rushee joins. The Enchantress parties the rushee, runs to Tristram (using harmony switch) and opens a tp for the rushee inside tristram (right next to the portal). She then enchants the rushee and goes back to town and types players 8.

Switch to the rushee, and go back through the RED portal and kill rakanishu, then clear tristram, picking up wirt's leg.

Repeat until rushee is lvl 15. It is advised to pick up two wirt's leg (one on each character).

lAct 1 and 2: (10-15 minutes)

Host with the rushee and join with your high level rusher.

Join with the six other mules. Tele to the Catacombs lvl 4, open a portal behind one of the pillars in the main room and go back to town with your rusher. Enter the tp with your rushee. Enter the tp with your rusher and kill Andy.

If you are using one computer and there is significant lag, tell the six mules to leave after this. If not, let them chill in game (but remember to bring them all to act 2)

Tele to the Maggot lvl 3, open up a TP and use the rushee to collect an staff.

Tele to the Temple of the Vipers and teleport onto the uprised place where the amulet is. Open up TP, switch to rushee and collect amulet.

Drop the rushee your cube and tell him to make the staff. Go kill the summoner, then go kill duriel (if you told your other six mules to leave, rejoin before you kill duriel).

Important note: if your rushee dies at any point, as long as you do not press ESC upon the death screen and the rusher kills the boss near the corpse, the rushee will get the quest. Therefore, always go in first to danger situations with your rushee.

lvl 15-20 (5-10 minutes).

Leave with your high level rusher (and your six other mules if you have lag). Rejoin with your enchantress. Enchant the rushee, and let him clear out two tombs; he should hit lvl 20 at players 8. At lvl 15 you will be able to use raven claw and you will be a killing machine.

lvl 20-25-7. (5-10 minutes).

Open up the cow level with your enchantress, enchant the rushee and let him go ballistic. Extra Wirt's leg is well, just in case.

Act 4 & 5 (10-15 minutes)

Remember, the rushee only has to be there for Diablo's Death.

Then do Ancients & Kill Baal (with the six other mules in game)

lvl 25-7 - 40 (30-60 minutes)
    Powerlevel the rushee to lvl 40 using Baal runs (either hosted and tele'ed for by rusher or self done). A lvl 49 orbtress with max CM/orb and an insight merc would probably be the fastest, but a high level sorc works decently.

Nightmare (20-40 minutes)

Hell Act1-3 (20-30 minutes).

Collecting Hellforges (30-60 minutes).

Remember, no matter how many people are in the game, only one rune drops so you have to do it all seperately. What I like to do is to tele there with a sorc, clear with a zealot and collect the hellforge with the mule, as Hephaesto is very quick at making mince meat of mercs.

Conclusion

1.11b hellforge rushing is better if you are only looking to acquire such as rune as Ohm or Lo as you do not need to remake wealth. Otherwise, if you plan on making multiple high runes such as Jah and Ber, 1.09 is far more efficient.

I also made this to prove that 1.11b hellforge rushing is very doable and actually in some cases better than 1.09 self-forgeing. The rushing part of it isn't very detailed, so if you have problems, either post in this thread, or look at the (stickied) rushing guide in the community forum.

And just for fun, the results of my recent 7*7 hellforge rushing project which I did over the last 4 days (including today). I may or may not collect the nightmare forges, depending on how lazy I am.

1: Mal Rune
    2: Lem Rune
    3: Lem Rune
    4: Mal Rune
    5: Fal Rune
    6: Um Rune
    7: Lum Rune
    8: Lum Rune
    9: Fal Rune
    10: Hel Rune
    11: Io Rune
    12: Ko Rune
    13: Io Rune
    14: Gul Rune
    15: Gul Rune
    16: Lem Rune
    17: Ko Rune
    18: Um Rune
    19: Gul Rune
    20: Mal Rune
    21: Um Rune
    22: Hel Rune
    23: Ist Rune
    24: Um Rune
    25: Gul Rune
    26: Lem Rune
    27: Lem Rune
    28: Ist Rune
    29: Mal Rune
    30: Lem Rune
    31: Lem Rune
    32: Ko Rune
    33: Lum Rune
    34: Um Rune
    35: Fal Rune
    36: Lem Rune
    37: Lem Rune
    38: Lum Rune
    39: Lem Rune
    40: Hel Rune
    41: Hel Rune
    42: Ist Rune
    43: Lem Rune
    44: Mal Rune
    45: Fal Rune
    46: Um Rune
    47: Lum Rune
    48: Ko Rune
    49. Gul Rune

2. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Small nitpick, the ancients quest still has the 20/40/60 level requirement in 1.09. it's just that you don't need to complete the quest to get into the WSK. As long as your rusher has the WSK 2, WP your good to go.

3. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Hey very nice guide!
    Congrats ;)

4. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Great guide! I will definitlly make some hf rushes :D

One thingy though, When does the other 6 dudes have to be in game? if you have lag and decide to quit after you done andy?
    And when do they need to me at the place where the stuff happens? ie: do they have to be in the chaos sanc when big D goes down? Do they have to be inbaal throne room/duriels lair/mephistos durance etc. when the boss dies? or can they just chill in town while your rusher kills everything and then come strolling to next act? is it is like that, I dont understand why you need to have a rushee with you?

And one more thingy, is this perfevtly ok in the forum eyes? to self rush like this ? :D I think its awsome, great guide once again :thumbsup:

edit: sorry, it just came to my mind that the rushee has to host the game and must therefore be level 20/40 do to ancients in norm/nm, but doesnt chars. that are just standing in town getting the quest if they are teamed with the rusher when baal is killed? why does the rushee have to be there? =)
    ?

5. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

as long as one of the characters that needs the quest is present when Andarial is killed all will get the quest reward. EDIT: Obviously the other 6 rushees need to be in game and partied

One of the rushees does (dead or alive)
    as above

Depends on who you talk to:rolleyes: I'd mention it if you trade.

6. jantia

jantia Banned

Because the rusher won't be getting the quest. it only works when you are partied to someone else who is "killing" Baal for the first time and therefore "getting" the quest.

Also, I think it falls under legitimate, but cheesy. All in all, I think this is "less cheesy" that 1.09 self forge-rushing, although, still admittedly rather cheesy. Put it in your trader profile.

Admittedly doing this takes away the joy of finding runes while questing/mfing. Before I did hellforge rushes, I'd get excited about every mid rune drop (fal-pul) but now its just like, meh, whatever/

7. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

About fire mastery:
    The way fire mastery works is confusing, and the LCS does lie. Here is my understanding, after reading MongoJerry's excellent guide and playing many enchantresses and enchanted characters:

Sorc enchanting someone else: gets mastery bonus at the time it is cast, and it shows on the LCS. Even though the description of Enchant mentioned that the bonus is less for ranged, it is not.

Sorc enchanting herself for melee: gets mastery bonus twice. Once at the time of casting, and once at the time of actual melee. The LCS lists the double bonus damage.

Sorc enchanting herself for ranged: gets mastery bonus once. I think the level of mastery used is the one at the time of casting. The LCS lists the double bonus damage, erroneously.

So for enchanting others, you do want max warmth/enchant/FM and as many +skills / + fireskills as possible, as Hrus suggests.

8. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Excellent guide jantia!

I like the format in which it is written. It's like reading a cookbook:

Ingredients (what you will need)
    One onion
    One potato
    One clove of garlic

Preparation (the rushing)
    Peel potato and slice into wedges. Crush garlic with...... fry over a medium fire......

I also occasionally do HF v 1.11 rushing. But I'll only do it with one char at a time. Twinked to the eyeballs, points in FO and CM, Static Field and Teleport. Once I hit Eldritch, I run him at /p8 until clvl 35-ish, then I do Baal runs until clvl 42-ish. By that time FO and CM will have about 10/10, and then I just tele past all the non-essential stuff. Takes me on average 3-4 hours per rush.

I'm working on a Jah for you know what.....

Cheese? Cheese? No cheese here, it was the mouse, guvnor.

9. Ardo

Ardo IncGamers Member

How can you run many diablos at once btw?

10. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

Thanks people, I will start hf rushing as soon as i'm done with the untwinked grail touney ;)

11. colony

colony IncGamers Member

To add to what grogs said about requirements for getting the end of act quests, it works slightly differently in Acts 2 and 4:

Duriel: One rushee needs to talk to Tyrael
    Diablo: One rushee needs to be within about 1.5 screens of Diablo when he dies. If you kill him too far away from the character being rushed you'll have to do the whole CS again

Obviously all the characters need to be partied as well

Well good luck with that, but I expect it'll take you far longer than you thought, a Jah takes about 350 NM and Hell HFs on average if you cube up from something reasonable like Puls

Edit: Unless of course you have a big chunk of it already of course, in which case it'll be a bit faster

12. FrostBurn

I can't really tell if you're actually trying to be unpleasant, or if this is the way you normally word your sentences.

In return, and in no way am I trying to start a row, so do not take this in any other way other than my ernest hope to bring this to your attention, but please try to be a bit less harsh-sounding in your posts.

13. colony

colony IncGamers Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound unpleasant or sarcastic, although I can see how my post could be taken that way. No offence meant.

14. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Harsh-sounding? Where?

15. FrostBurn

Ok, sorry for making an issue. I just wasn't sure if I did something in the past to annoy you. I'm glad that's cleared up. I won't read too deeply next time.

@Jantia: Sorry for the thread hijack and the mini-drama!

16. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Maybe this is a nice addition:

Where do I need to go?
    Needed characters -
    1. Rusher (this will be the one you actually play. I figure this will be a sorc so I can use teleport.)
    2. Rushee (this will be the one you have to take everywhere to collect the quests.)
    3. Mules (any number will do, but to optimise it use 6 of them. They just stand around town.)

Act 1:
    Everyone parties up.
    Rusher takes the WP to Catacombs 2, teleports to Catacombs 4 and makes a TP. The Rushee takes the TP and finds a safe spot to hide if it isn't safe already. Rusher kills Andariel. Everyone moves to act 2.

Act 2:
    Rusher takes the WP to the Far Oasis, teleports to the Maggot Lair, teleports to the Maggot Lair level 3, clears the chamber with the sparkly chest and makes a TP. Rushee takes the TP and collects the Staff. Both return to town. Rusher takes the WP to the Lost City and teleports to the Temple of the snakes, teleports to the Temple level 2, clears a safespot near the altar and makes a TP. Rushee takes the TP, kicks the altar and picks up the amulet. Both return to town. Rusher drops a Cube and Rushee uses it to create the staff. Rusher uses the WP to the palace cellar level, teleports up to the Harem level 1 and makes a TP there. Rushee takes the TP. If you're unable to enter it, try talking to Drognan first. Rushee walks up and talks to Jerhyn. Then returns trough the TP. Rusher takes the WP to the Arcaine Sanctuary and teleports to the Summoner. Kills him, makes a safe spot and a TP. Rushee can take the TP now and opens the book to reveil both the sign of the right temple and the red portal to the canyon. Both take the portal. The Rusher goes to the tomb, finds the chamber to put the staff to good use and clears it to make another TP. Rushee goes to town, takes the TP and puts the staff in place. Screen shake. Rusher goes in and kills Duriel. Rushee enters when safe (the Quest should say: You can't complete blah blah), runs to Tyrael and completes the quest. All move to act 3 (this might involve talking to towns people and if you can't reach Jerhyn still you might want to make another portal at the Harem level).

Act 3:
    Rusher takes the WP to the Travincal, teleports to the Council and clears a safespot (don't kill all the council members yet.. you may kill one or two). Rushee takes the TP and hides. Rusher kills the Council. Both return to town. Rusher takes the WP to the Durance of Hate level 2, teleports to Mephisto and makes a TP at a safespot. Rushee takes the TP and the Rusher kills Mephisto. All move to act 4.

Act 4: (Note: This is only for normal and Nightmare, if you're in Hell you want to take the Rusher, go the the River of Flame WP, go to the Hellforge and get the mules in one by one to collect the runes and gems. Remember to do this with every mules seperately as you will only get one Hellforge if you leave them partied.)
    Rusher takes the WP to the River of Flame and teleports to the Chaos Sanctuary. Teleports on right onto the star in the center and makes a tp. Then goes off to kill the seal bosses. You might want to leave one seal shut for safety or not if you don't care. Before Diablo spawns the Rushee takes the TP and either stands where Diablo will spawn only to die and stay dead untill the Rusher kills Diablo or he runs to find a safe spot. The Rusher spawns Diablo and kills him. Both returns to town and to act 5.

Act 5: (Note: This is only for normal and Nightmare, if you're in Hell you want to take the Rusher, go the the River of Flame WP, go to the Hellforge and get the mules in one by one to collect the runes and gems. Remember to do this with every mules seperately as you will only get one Hellforge if you leave them partied.)
    This is where the leveling part comes in. You need to be level 20 to pass the Ancients in 1.1 and get the quest. If you've leveled the Rushee you can continue. Rusher takes the WP to the Ancient Way and teleports to the Arreat Summit to make a safe TP there. The Rushee enters only to see the Rusher kill the Ancients. Both return to town. Rusher takes the Worldstone Keep WP and teleports to Baal's throneroom. Makes a safe TP in the corner and let the Rushee enters (you can bring him in later next to Baal but I found this a nice safe spot). Rusher finishes off all the minions and both enter the Worldstone Chamber. Rushee first who will either run to a safespot or up to baal if you make it and die. Rusher will kill Baal.

17. Steven Q Urkel

Steven Q Urkel IncGamers Member

Very nice guide jantia. I may start looking into this in the future.

I've never mp'd before, so I have a n00b question: How does the rusher 'party up' with the rushee???

18. IceViper

IceViper IncGamers Member

If you use durimules you only need the amu

I think that reading the book only works for the first one who reads it. otherwise you have to be present on kill

19. xduckster

xduckster IncGamers Member

So do you have to actually own 8 copies of the game in order to do this??

20. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Short answer = no

There are a couple of ways to run multiple instances of D2. Fast user switching (windows XP), or (my personal favourite) using a modified d2gfx.dll. The latter means you can run 8 instances of d2 (usually in windowed mode) on the one user, much quicker than user switching

Hint: See the Keep for all you d2gfx.dll needs.