Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guide question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Airman, May 3, 2008.

1. Airman

Airman IncGamers Member

Guide question

Hi! :wave:

I'm currently leveling this one:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=562

Please help to understand what exactly I have to do.. there's a phrase:

At clvl30 place 1 point in LM and then Max FO and get CM to 5-8. This will get you through Nightmare with amazing ease and it's much less mana intensive than the Lightning tree. Once FO and CM are done, get CL and Lightning to slvl10 then max LM. Finally, finish CL first and then Lightning last.

So after I have my FO orb maxed and CM 5-8 I have to pump CL and Lightning or author means that I have to "done" my CM and after that move to lightning skills?

2. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

Re: Guide question

Those 5-8 points in CM are enough :smiley:

3. Airman

Airman IncGamers Member

Grrr I have a hard time playing Hell A1.
    Lvl 65.

1) My CL is not decent (2-770 damage). I can push CL casting and go making a coffee or doing my homework while it's tryin` to kill mobs.. not so harsh but quite slow.. that could be nearly impissible to have fun playing like this if I had no merc.. he is killing good, while I am still worried about my Lighting damage.
    FO is doing good, but there`s a lot of Cold Immunity mobs.

What can I with this situation? What about my CL damage? I think it's very low. But I've sticked to guide`s reccomendations - how to pump skills. Only thing that I have quite low + to all skills (like 2 or 3).

The main problem with items that I cannot balance them.
    It`s hard to get decent resists, and if i want to have them good I have to skip some +skills or FCR items (or my resists will be ~ <20).
    Same thing with Merc (A2, Holy freeze).. He has Bonehew on him with Duriel`s shell and Guillaume`s Face.
    I've noticed that he is doing much better with this helm. while I was tryin` to skip it for +resists helmet.. And if I`ll change ~600 defence armor with resists for ~defence without resists he will have no resist items at all..
    I can`t find a right way to do because I`ve seen a situation that I meet Cold Immune mob that kills my merc with a few blows (and he hits very fast) and I cannot effectively withstand him 1on1..

What can you suggest?

4. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

You could always level up in NM before going on to hell. Baal runs would get you to the low 70s pretty quickly. There are probably other ways as well. 65 is quite low for Hell. 7-8 more points in your CL + a higher level merc will make cold immunes much safer to deal with. Other than that....use teleport as much as possible. Use TK to knock dangerous mobs around and put them into hit recovery. TP past CI mobs for a while and pick up levels when you can. Don't worry about all of your resistances, just focus on fire and lightning; ral and ort runes in some sockets will go a long way. Equip a wizardspike if you really need resists and fcr. But seriously, I'd level up in NM at least to 70. If it's not taking too long 75 would really help. GL.

mv

5. Airman

Airman IncGamers Member

Okay! :laugh:
    I`ll take 70th+ and try again. Thanks

But question about Merc`s resists and defence is still open :\

And another question is about blocking:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3718/12121qx9.jpg
    Chance to block is 28%

What do you think? Pump dex and try to find better shield or forget about it?

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Don't go max block unless you are using a shield with "increased chance to block" like Stormshield, Whitstan's Guard, Gerke's Sanctuary, Rhyme. It takes too much Dexterity otherwise.

7. Airman

Airman IncGamers Member

8. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Well, Hellslayer can't be equiped by any merc, so that's out of the question.

Bonehew technically has higher damage, but Reaper's has the CTC Decrepify, which when coupled with the Holy freeze, will monsters to a crawl, reduce the damage they do to you and the merc, and increase the damage that the merc does to them.

My vote goes to Reaper's.

9. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Also a lot more lifeleech. Throw bonehew away.

I use reapers as my endgame weapon on my mercs.

10. Airman

Airman IncGamers Member

Okay! Thank you guys.

11. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

I disagree with the guide. I think Lit is a better skill than CL, and the skill point progression doesn't make sense to me.

Why do 10 lit, 10 CL, then max lit mastery? It makes no sense to me. I'm not 100% certain exactly what the optimization is, but on my CL/orb sorc, I have CL/Lit maxed and to maximize my damage, my lit mastery was usually hovering around 6-7 more hard points invested than the next synergy.

I don't have the actual math in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you're short changing yourself if you max lit mastery right away (or at all, unless you want to climb all the way to the high 90's)

12. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

It depends on how many +skills you have. The more +skills you have, the more likely it is you want to max Lightning first. Not only to maximize CL damage, but simply because it's a much better single target spell as well.