Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] Making wealth in diablo 2.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sighoth, Aug 16, 2010.

1. sighoth

sighoth Banned

[Guide] Making wealth in diablo 2.

Ok since im bored im going to list a few ways i use to get some wealth if i start over, or when a ladder resets.

1 - Pgems.

Pgems are easy to get and good to sell, Chaos sanctury on hell drops a ton of flawless and if you pick them up and cube them, youll have plenty in no time. Rubys and amethyst's sell well, and ill explain why later. If ure just starting out, pick up chipped/flawed ect ect and cube them all up, there is a small market for chipped gems when people need to cube runes but 40 pgems is worth an ist, for little effort.

2 - Charm/rare rolling.

Charm rolling is very good, depending on ure luck ;) all you need is a grand charm from baal hell, ( well thats what i tend to use ) and 3 perfect rubys, when you transmute there into ure cube a new charm will appear, it could be nothing atall but it could be a skiller with life, So for the price of 3 perfect rubys, you could get 20 ists ( Gl rolling a Pcomb 4x life skiller ;) ) You can also craft rares, but i dont tend to do that.

3 - Buying low and selling high.

This is how i make 90% of my wealth, if you search on bnet for games, this is easily done, assuming you know the market price of an item, you can buy an item you dont intent to use for cheap, and sell it for high. Im going to take IK armor as a basis, Its worth about mal-ist, But ive bought them for um, sold for ist within 5 mins, This is called ure net profit, All net profit i spend on upgrading my chars, I try to make atleast 3-5 ist profit per day using this method, the key points to it is to know what things are worth, Dont buy IK armor for ist and expect to get 2 for it, thats just greed. Same can be done with runes, ive seen people offering 4 um + pul for an ist, some people dont care about pul runes there nothing to them, but thats net profit again, and if ure just starting out this is the best advice i can give, Buy low, Sell high.

4 - Key runs.

This is a slow way to make as much profit as you put into it, Dest keys sell well, so even if ure broke get somthing that can kill nilithak easily and farm him, a 3x3 is an ist, and depending on luck you can get a 3x3 in a couple hours of solid key finding, I reccomend somthing like a barb for nilithak, with some LL and a WW build its pretty simple, but running there takes a while.

5 - Tourch running.

This needs a char that can handle ubers, You can make a cheap smiter for it theres a guide somewhere on these forums, Basically the idea is, You buy a keyset ( or farm one ) for ist, You run ubers and sell the unid tourch for 2 ist, The upside is once you do this for a while youll get suppliers, people you can buy keys from and people to sell the torches to, You make 1 ist profit per run assuming u buy the keys, or 2 ist profit if you farm ure own keys.

6 - Rushing.

People will pay for rushes, Eiether with the HF quest or in runes, if your very poor or just bored this can bring some nice easy income, Depending if the HF wants to be nice to you :).

7 - Countess

This comes under keyrunning but it has a small diffrence, the runes u make from running countess over and over soon cube up to an ist, i tend to keep any rune Fal + and cube them all, this with the added bonus of keys dropping gives a nice steady income.

I cant think of anymore of the top of my head but if anyone wants to add somthing feel free.

2. Ivo

Ivo Diabloii.Net Member

Re: [Guide] Making wealth in diablo 2.

you can also try to hunt dclone for the anni. There are some IRC servers dedicated to that and there's also a guide somewhere. It does take some time to fully understand it. The activity is also a bit down lately, but you used to be able to get at least 1 anni a day this way.

3. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 Diabloii.Net Member

1 and 2 are contradictions (and inaccurate)

Any 3 pgems work to reroll charms, so certainly DONT use your prubies or pames for this.
    Hell Baal, Diablo and Nilthalak are the 3 that drop the best GC's to reroll, as only these GC's can get the 41+ life mod. I'd also add that keeping Pskulls is usually not a bad idea, as ppl use these for rerolling jewels.

7 Countess
    Assuming you can be bothered muling the runes, many of the lower runes are certainly worth keeping, and lead to option 8 - Packs

Packs
    Several forms of pack - simple ones are just large amounts of 1 thing, for example 20 Ral runes.

Other common packs include:
    Spirit - Tal Thul Ort Amn + Hel
    Insight - the runes + Hel
    Craft packs - linked to option 1, Perfect Ame + jewel + rune (usually Ral) sell very well.
    Pames are used for Caster Packs, Perf Rubies for Blood, these are the most common.

There's a thread somewhere in the stats forum listing what all the "low" runes are used for. Some are useful for themselves, and some you are better off cubing, for example 3*Dol + chipped emerald = Hel.

Option 9 - mf'ing :)
    needs no explaining, odd ommision :D

9a - zero mf'ing.
    Looking for area clears of high lvl areas for socketables, gems, runes etc. WSK / CS / Hell Cows / The Pits etc are all worth a mention. Many other areas are good aswell.

I'd also disagree with buying low and selling high being a good idea for someone new to D2. This requires some knowledge and experience and the newer person might end up buying high and thus losing wealth. Don't get me wrong, buying low and selling high is an excellent way to make wealth, it just has some risk attached to it for the less knowledgable trader.

Last option, not really linked to any, but also linked to most.
    Knowing what less obvious items are worth keeping for future trades.

For example i always like to have 1 Full Sigons set on a mule somewhere. There is always the chance some rich person is going to want to over pay for this - or certain other low value items, just to save the hassle of getting it themselves. Just yesterday I sold my spare full sigons for an Ist to someone wanting to power level a new char.

4. DjSlayer

DjSlayer Diabloii.Net Member

2 questions for the OP, what are you defining as wealth? 100+ ists, 100+ high runes or other?

- D.J.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Building Wealth on the Ladder from the Newcomer Stickies.

The SPF has a few similar threads including ones on low level, single pass MFing.

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Gold. Lots of gold.

7. sighoth

sighoth Banned

i base wealth on stuff you have but dont intend to use, hard to explain what i mean, i have a hammerdin in the best gear avalible, and many runes ist+ i consider the runes as wealth, not the gear, Anything i can freely trade counts to my wealth, hope i explained this ok :).

8. Niss

Niss Diabloii.Net Member

Is running the pits with 0% MF better usually than running with 200-300% MF?

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

For what?

For runes, MF makes no difference.
    For gold, MF makes no difference.
    For Runes, MF makes no difference.
    For Socketables, MF makes no difference.
    For Rares, Set items, Magic Items and Uniques, the more MF the better (even after the diminishing returns kick in) is fine. Just be sure to balance your killing ability and not sacrifice your ability to kill effectively.

[​IMG]

10. Niss

Niss Diabloii.Net Member

Nice table.

I'm interested in some socketed items right now. Just getting started more or less and could use wealth/rhyme, or tradeable stuff.

Suppose I should give 0% MF a try.

11. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Been lookin for that image!

@ Niss - If you're on Bnet, MF has really lost its value as uniques have basically fallen from grace. When the rarest uniques are worth just a fraction of their value last season, MF becomes a much lower priority. I'd still recommend you fit what you can, but only as it doesn't impact your general killing speed, like say you've got choice between Soj and Nagel - in most cases I'd say soj.