Guide: Lower Kurast running Sorceress by nepeta [v3]

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member
Guide: Lower Kurast running Sorceress by nepeta [v3]

Lower Kurast Sorceressversion 3

Since the discovery of 'easy' Ber runes at Lower Kurast, many hours have been spent in what otherwise would have been just another stretch of land on the road to the Lord of Terror. Many different character builds have been commissioned, the intent of this guide is to present the ultimate Lower Kurast running Sorceress, for faster, safer, easier looting, for glory!
Every item in this guide being available at Hell Mephisto or for perfect gems at the trade forums, this guide is for everybody. More expensive items will not make it any better, expensive charms will only decrease the sorceress' ability to cary large amounts of cargo and reduce her effectiveness. But let this introduction be; the build:

Contents

• What you get
    • 105% faster cast rate
    • almost maxed resistances to all elements
    • max block
    • 50% damage reduction
    • free teleporting
    • 40 square cargo hold
  • Skills
    (lvl 90: 101 skill points)

Ice Bolt 17
    Glacial Spike 1
    Frost Nova 1
    Frozen Armour 1
    Blizzard 20 2268 - 2417 (ø2343)
    Ice Blast 20
    Cold Mastery 20
    total cold skills 81

Static Field 1*1
    Telekinesis 1
    Teleport 17
    total light skills 19

Warmth 1
    total fire skills 1

*1 May be skipped, advised for questing.

A blizzard sorceress? Of course. Guide by nepeta: Blizz sorc. Also there are no inherently cold immune monsters in Lower Kurast, it is a powerful spell for leveling, what else could one want? In comparison to the other cold skills and certainly to the other elements, Blizzard shines supreme.

Teleport, 17 points?
    17 points in teleport? Yes. Running Lower Kurast does not mean killing monsters and then, blizzard is a pretty strong skill when there are no cold immunes in the area that do not run away, save the occasional Cold Enchanted unique. 17 points in teleport gives a level 22 teleport including +skills, it enables the Lower Kurast runner to teleport 'for free', as the mana regeneration equals the mana consumption per unit of time. The maths are below, it's scarier than it looks though.

Is it necessary? No, running Lower Kurast will have you standing still from time to time to sort out the loot, overdosing on mana potions, but I just had to put it in to ridicule the Insight polearm.

fcr faster cast rate
    fpc frames per cast
    slvl skill level
    25 frames per second
    1 frame = 0,04 seconds or 40 milliseconds
    105 fcr = 8 fpc = 320 milliseconds
    3,333333 (3[1/3]) or [10/3] teleports per second: [10/3]*(24-slvl) = mana/second
    regenerate mana on equipment is + 25%
    lvl 80: 531 mana, slvl 6 warmth or 90% regenerate mana

Equation teleport_mana/second = mana regeneration:
    [10/3]*(24-slvl) = 25 * [[256 * 531 / (25 * 120)] * (115/100 + 1] / 256

Or: German calc says: 9 mana/sec regen at lvl 80, 531 mana, lvl 6 warmth and 25% regenerate mana.

lvl80
    3[1/3]*X = 9 X=2,7 rounded down gives X = 2
    lvl90
    3[1/3]*X = 10 X=3
    lvl99
    1[1/3]*X = 10 X=3
  • Stat points
    (lvl 90: 460 stat points)

Strength 126/76*2
    Dexterity 210 for max block
    Vitality 124/159*2
    Energy 0

*2 The first number will let you equip the Stormshield without strength-bugging, the second requires a bugging setup.
  • Equipment
    Code:
    						DR	res	hp	mana	stat	skill	fcr	fhr	Mreg*5
    Head		Harlequin Crest			10	0	1,5lvl	1,5lvl	2	2	0	0	0
    Neck 		Mara's Kaleidoscope		0	20-30	0	0	5	2	0	0	0
    Torso 		Skin of the Vipermagi		0	20-35	0	0	0	1	30	0	0
    Right Arm 	Wizardspike			0	75	0	1,75lvl	0	0	50	0	15
    Left Arm 	Stormshield			35	*4	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
    Right Ring 	10 fcr				0	10	0	0	0	0	10	0	0
    Left Ring 	10 res all ring			0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
    Belt 		String of Ears			10-15	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
    		Verdungo's Hearty Cord		10-15	0	30-40	0	0	0	0	10	0
    Feet 		Marrowwalk			0	0	0	0	*1	0	0	0	10
    Gloves 	Trang-Oul's Claws			0	*4	0	0	0	0	20	0	0

TOTAL						50+	130	*2	*3	7	5	110	10	25
    *for items with variable stats, rounded up averages were used for totals.

*1	Marrowwalk has 10-20 to str, 17 dex, also +10% mana regeneration
    *2	Depends on belt and clvl
    *3	2,25 clvl
    *4	Other resistance on gear:	fire	cold	light	poison
    	Stormshield			0	60	25	0
    	Trang-Oul's Claws		0	30	0	0
    	Anya's quests			30	30	30	30
    	subTOTAL			30	120	55	30
    	TOTAL				145	235	170	145
    	TOTAL perfect gear (PG)		170	270	195	170
    	total in Hell difficulty	45	135	70	45
    	total in Hell difficulty PG	70	170	95	70
    *5	Mreg is extra mana regeneration
    You will have 4 socketable items, 3 socket quests available. As you can see in the table, the character is very low on Faster Hit Recovery, a wise choice may be a Shael rune somewhere, table below. For kicks, laughs, and further damage reduction, Sol runes may be added at will. Notice that these options do not include the weapon socket. Another option is using the sockets to maximize resists or mitigate the effects of lower stats on gear.

The Stormshield must be socketed with a Hel rune for greatest effect, see:

Code:
    		block	dex	str	totstat	pts sav
    Stormshield 73	67	179	156	335	
    	+eld	74	163	156	319	-16
    	+hel	67	179	133	312	-23
    Stormshield 80	67	195	156	351
    	+eld	74	178	156	334	-17
    	+hel	67	195	133	328	-23
    Stormshield 90	67	217	156	373
    	+eld	74	198	156	354	-19
    	+el	67	217	133	350	-24
    Stormshield 99	67	237	156	393
    	+eld	74	216	156	372	-21
    	+hel	67	237	133	370	-23
    An optional switch, for faster running could be a Crainte Vomir or a Harmony bow, for faster run/walk from the ship of Meshif to the Way Point.

Hit Recovery Rates - Sorc and conveniently Act 2 merc's. (Faster Hit Recovery / Frames per Hit-recover)
    Code:
    FHR	0	5	9	14	20	30	42	60	86	142	280
    FPH	15	14	13	12	11	10	9	8	7	6	5
    table courtesy of RTB

Final note: This gear is not an actual build-breaker. Lower Kurast is one of the easier areas in the game, especially after you have killed the High Council at Travincal; half of the Kurastians will run at the sight/smell of you. You are free to take this 'guide' as a character report with a ludicrousity tumour, I will not be offended. It is more or less my take at a specific problem, combined with a tad of a tendency to write things up.
  • Mercenaries
    A2 or A5
    Helmet: Delirium runeword. Chance to cast Confuse and Mindblast: love it.
    Armour: Gloom runeword. Chance to cast Dim Vision, 45 res all: love it too.
    Weapon: Kelpie snare. Slow monsters 75%: love it also.
    Weapon: Any sword with damage and leech: you're safe enough anyway.

Any level 90 mercenary will be able to handle Lower Kurast, this is just overkill, but what the hell... Safest merc setup for the price. For A2 mercenaries I assumed the aura would not activate (consistently) during a run, so pick your pick (normal merc for better stats), maybe something nice for questing or multiplayer.
  • Lower Kurast: The Deal
    So, what is so special about Lower Kurast? As mentioned in the foreword, it is a prime place to find high runes. Ber being the highest rune being available from objects (chests, corpses, stashes, logs) in Lower Kurast, many people have done 'chest runs', to get some peculiar results.

Check out the Item Generation Tutorial by Warrior of Light and Urlik's Rune Finder's Guide for details on the mechanics of item generation in general, chest drop mechanics in particular, for the here and now let it suffice to state that certain drop patterns get favored by superchests. Superchests being special objects which drop large amounts of items in a single drop, they can be found in Lower Kurast in the area by the campfire. It is possible to get a map with 2 campfires, so with the static maps in Singleplayer, that is what you should be looking for.
    Code:
    Rune	pX	Item 1		Item 2			Item 3			Item 3
    [URL="http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7930/deadbobberkm0.jpg"]Ber[/URL]	p8	Arbalest	Gothic Plate		Full Helm		Vambraces
    Sur	p8	Grand Crown	Studded Leather		War Axe
    [URL="http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5678/screenshot038tz1.jpg"]Lo[/URL]	p3	Balanced Axe
    Vex	p8	Crossbow	Large Siege Bow		Throwing Spear	War Sword
    Ist	p8	Broad axe	Highland blade		Hyperion spear	+2 more
    Ist	p8	Balrog spear	Glaive			Helm			+4 more
    Screenshots from deadbob (Ber), Phosheez (Lo)

As you can see, should you see an Arbalest accompanied by a Gothic Plate and a Full Helm, look for the Vambraces and a Ber. There is some evidence the [/players X] command influences rune drop patterns, therefore it is advised you run on [/players 8]. A Lo rune has been found on [/players3]. With the massive Lower Kurast running done at the Single Player Forum from diabloii.net there has been no sighting of a Lo from superchests on [/players 8] although with the low odds for runes, the evidence is not yet conclusive it cannot happen.

Also note that Ist has 2 different drop patterns. There is reason to believe the number of drop patterns increases as rune value decreases, as Io has 14 reported drop orders.
  • Lower Kurast Running: The Process
    Get a map with two campfires, then hit the superchests, save and exit. Options you have are to hit the Way Point and go to A4, to be closer to the starting Way Point in the next game. Do not neglect the other objects (normal chests, stashes, logs, corpses) either, as they can drop runes too, as well as charms, jewels and flawless gems. Your runtime should be <1 minute, from the moment you hit the “Single Player” button until the “Save and Exit”. A wise man once said: “Don't expect Ber in 10 runs.” and he was right. Expect about 7 000 runs before anything significant shows up. That's a lot of time spent, high runes are not for the lazy.

On a sidenote, with a grand total of 50 MF and little killing power, combined with the horrid drop tables of the monsters in Lower Kurast, it is not worth your wile to kill them. Leave them alone, only take snapshots, on your way out please do not forget the tourguide.

Now you should be good to go, Good luck, Soldier!
  • Credits
    • RTB for the FHR table and the idea to use an A5 mercenary. Subsequent thanks to him for suggesting using Lawbringer runeword, which has no enhanced dame, nullified leech, thereby the merc :p
    • The Sorceress forum at diii.net for providing RTB's table.
    • Jaedhann for the faster run/walk tip.
    • Damnatorius for pointing out a missing vital part, leading to the chapters “LK: The Deal” and “LK running The Process”.
    • Everyone who commented on the guide.
    • Mephisto for the items.

Last edited:

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Guide: Lower Kurast running Sorceress by nepeta [v1]

Input welcome, on the layout as well. It was a bit of a weird mashup with code, formulae, unordered lists and lots of breaks, so I tried the spoiler function. How do you like it?

For the record, I did do this char, mainly for testing purposes, she's a bit messed up but workeable. I have 450 hp, about 120 stat points unspent, but it's very safe. I've been leveling her a bit, she is 85 now, used 90 for the guide as a nice number to attain. All the calculations for the guide were done afterwards, for future generations, don't think I'll rebuild mine, I've grown quite fond of her :)

Jaedhann

Diabloii.Net Member

Harmony bow for rwm users on switch for extra fast town running?

Great guide.:thumbsup:

bassen

Diabloii.Net Member

great guide Nepeta, I'll read it tomorrow again when I'm not so tires ;)

:flowers:

thanks for this

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice idea! A few comments/questions:

I would vote for some charms and carrying the cube rather than going completely charm-free, as unloading items isn't too much of a hassle.

Are you sure you need 17 in teleport? I don't see the computation including the Harlequin Crest/Mara's/Vipermagi giving +5 to tele and then maybe some skillers or +mana charms would change that calculation, if you use charms.

For dedicated LK running, you don't really need to kill anything, just not die. So perhaps an idea would be not to synergize Blizzard but put points in TK and have a decent (Memory) Energy Shield going.

Are

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice guide, liked the use of spoiler tags too :)

Swiller

Diabloii.Net Member

What I have skimmed looks damn good (I didn't read all of it, not after reading sirpoop's marathon thread), and I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Damnatorius

Diabloii.Net Member

Looks really nice, perhaps a (short) intro about LK running in general?

This because I don't believe there are any guides about LK running itself as far as I'm aware, so this could be a very useful for that too. I understand if you want to focus purely on the sorc itself though, in which case my apologies :)

I might just make the new sorc I'm working on atm like this. (she's gonna be blizzard anyway)

scottee

Diabloii.Net Member

I second the comment about adding some to TK and a mini-energy shield. I have some different ideas about what build would be best- I use my 200 FCR lightning sorc, and although I'm beginning to wish I hadn't built her for ES, otherwise she rocks for LKing.

However, I must say, your guide was excellently written, well presented, and definitely worth reading :thumbup:

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Post deleted by author; last version in first post thanks to new editing rules.

Last edited:

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Version 2 posted, updated the gear section with Jaedhann's FRW tips, added chapters on the mechanics of LK, and the process of running it. Also clarified the skills section, the part on teleport. purplelocust: I did include the +5 skills into the equation, it was just a little hard to see with all the numbers flying around :p

As for the ES part: I have never made an energy shield sorceress. Even after all these years there are so many things I have not done yet... If anyone can write a piece on ES, I'd be very much obliged. I'd like a comparison between ES and non-ES, in respect to the DR part, which could be a pretty large task, given all the variables in gear.

I could do it myself, but it would take a while, as I've been writing for quite a while now and would like to run some LK, what was the plan in the first place :p

Someone with more experience on ES please help :)

Damnatorius

Diabloii.Net Member

Great update, looks like a very complete guide now. I like the use of the spoiler thingies, it almost works like having an index with links (which wouldn't be possible in forum guides).

Now there's a place to point to with questions about LK runs :)

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice guide. Very focussed, but needs to be due to the specificness of it's aims.
I like the layout and organisation. I hadn't come across the spoiler tags before but they work really well in reducing the clutter and being able to jump to a specific section quickly.

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd add a video as example (shouldn't be that hard to find/make), make a note on time management (don't expect ber in 10 runs), where to save time / run efficiently / kill monsters / pick up stuff and point out that the build/gear is not specific or needed (lvl 1 frostnova+lvl20 telepr0t might run just as fast).

Nice tags. ;)

sevencreature

Diabloii.Net Member

I use my 200 FCR lightning sorc, and although I'm beginning to wish I hadn't built her for ES, otherwise she rocks for LKing.
What is the problem with ES in LK?

I have currently one lightning sorc in progress (my first lightning in fact) and I haven't decided yet how to specialize. I will make my decision on the way - whether to go FO/CB, or pure lightning - but I have opted not to go ES.

Otherwise 105% FCR is nice but (with my current Meteorb) I think 200% FCR is worth it - so I am planning the afforementioned sorc, mainly because I consider 200% basically an overkill on Meteorb :whistling:

nepeta: Nice guide (I like those summary tables with equipment bonuses :) and especially 'deal' and 'running' parts - finally all LK info in one post :p

P.S. You could use "Exocet" font when creating the tags .-)

Thirty-Thirty

Diabloii.Net Member

Firstly, am I right that going playing windowed decreases load times? If so, maybe mention that using Act IV as a S&E point is better windowed.

Xdeathfire

Diabloii.Net Member

Firstly, am I right that going playing windowed decreases load times? If so, maybe mention that using Act IV as a S&E point is better windowed.
Yep, I'm pretty sure it does decrease loading times, but it probably varies depending on the comp that u r using. Also, I've found that -ns gives me better performance too

Callador

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice guide, Nepeta! :)

I actually started to write a (very) detailed Lower Kurast guide when I read your thread yesterday.

First I thought to keep that as a secret but since you started adding info about LK itself...

I have already wrote few MS Word pages of text and I still have quite a lot info to add, calculations to done (rune drop odds) and other stuff so it might take a long time before I finish it :whistling:
Don't know if I'm sane as I started to write a huge text voluntarily :crazyeyes:

So you don't have to add any more info about LK into this guide unless you really want to :p

Maybe I should start a thread about what people would want to know from Lower Kurast running...

scottee

Diabloii.Net Member

What is the problem with ES in LK?

I have currently one lightning sorc in progress (my first lightning in fact) and I haven't decided yet how to specialize. I will make my decision on the way - whether to go FO/CB, or pure lightning - but I have opted not to go ES.

Otherwise 105% FCR is nice but (with my current Meteorb) I think 200% FCR is worth it - so I am planning the afforementioned sorc, mainly because I consider 200% basically an overkill on Meteorb :whistling:

nepeta: Nice guide (I like those summary tables with equipment bonuses :) and especially 'deal' and 'running' parts - finally all LK info in one post :p

P.S. You could use "Exocet" font when creating the tags .-)
The problem is that I built her around ES- so she has tons of mana and few hps, and dies in no time to mana burners. I'm definitely of the opinion now that ES should be given one point only, and not done the way I did. Oh well, another lesson learned!

Also, 200 FCR is very very nice- especially for LKing, where you may have quite a few teleports depending on your map.

nepeta

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll add a video as example ...
Thanks! I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that :)

As for the build specificness, maybe you're absolutely right :p I should have kept it as a mat thread on second thought. Oh well. I'll add the bit about run time, saving, what to expect, that does seem rather crucial to it, on third thought :p

As for 'build crucial', there isn't much of it here, as any char with teleport ought to be able to run LK. -I should have done a mat thread :/

Thirty-Thirty: windowed mode reduces time for anything, it's not really LK specific. what am I saying here...

Thanks for the input everyone, the guide is now that much better, version 3, which will be the final version, will be posted after 30 seconds. After that, please all cooperate with Callador and his soon to appear comprehensive guide to everything Lower Kurast :)