Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

*Guide* Getting rid of a temp ban ( Static IP )

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by sighoth, Aug 10, 2010.

1. sighoth

sighoth Banned

*Guide* Getting rid of a temp ban ( Static IP )

Ok. today after about an hours worth of searching i found a working way to get rid of a temp ban, If you have a dynamic IP its real easy, unplug ure router and modem, wait 5 mins and boom, new ip and no more temp ban. But if your like me and have a static ip that never changes, hes a fool proof way to get rid of a temp ban.

Firstly if your not a computer wizz, ill try to explain what youll be doing in simple terms, Basically your going to change ure MAC adress, this will make ure computer give you a new IP, Thats very basic terms on what ure doing.

Step 1 - Download this, http://www.technitium.com/tmac/index.html

Step 2 - install, Open, And at the top youll see "Local area connection" Click this.

Step 3 - locate the button that says "Change mac adress" Click it.

Step 4 - just use the "random mac adress" button and press Ok.

This will turn ure net off, Dont be alarmed thats supposed to happen.

Step 5 - Go to Start > run > type "cmd" without quotes

Step 6 - type, "ipconfig/renew" without quotes.

Now, ure IP is changed and not associated with blizz's servers, fire up D2 login and enjoy.

This is the only method ive tried that actually works, the temp ban lasted 8 hours before i found this out, Goodluck!

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: *Guide* Getting rid of a temp ban ( Static IP )

Hmm seems to me that randomizing your MAC address might cause other problems with other networked items, but someone with more networking savvy can tell me if i'm right or wrong about that...

Just want to make sure this doesnt cause more problems than it solves before you go telling everyone to do it :) Especially since it involves downloading 3PS

Also, I know scrambling your IP to circumvent a ban is against Blizzard TOS, and I'm not sure if its 100% cool on these forums either...

3. sighoth

sighoth Banned

It doesnt mess anything up, been online for hours everything still works, all ure doing is making a new mac adress, ure ip and pc adapts to it, you can do it manually but this program does it quicker, And tbh i dont see why this forum has anything agasint human players getting back into the game, we all hate temp bans, im just trying to help :p.

4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I doubt it works. I don't think you can "change" your IP unless you have a dynamic adress or are using a proxy.

Also, if you are using a router this should NOT help, because the Tban is IP wide.

5. droid

droid IncGamers Member

I know your internet will still work, since you're manually resetting your IP address and connection, but I was talking about other networked items - networked printers, networked hard drives, peripherals, etc. All those identify computers on the network by MAC address, so changing yours might cause problems when communicating with other networked peripherals, was my point.

You wouldnt want to have to reset your printer connection every time you reset your Diablo connection, after all :)

6. sighoth

sighoth Banned

ah well, see ure point, i dont use a printer/scanner/ext HD so i guess i cant see if that affects it.

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

It's not the purpose of this forum to help people violate the bnet ToS.

I've sent a report to the mods, so they'll weigh in when they get to it.

Also, if you're behind a router, this won't work, will it? Doesn't bnet see the IP address on your router not the network adapter?

8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Not commenting on defeating a temp ban as that's not allowed but you can spoof your mac or IP address lots of ways.
    and yes getting a new IP from your providers DHCP pool will defeat any IP based ban.

9. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Sometimes the best way to prevent a temp ban is to simply not get one. In other words, to avoid rejoining games too quickly, or changing characters too quickly.

Other than that, various methods of avoiding a temporary ban on battle.net has been mentioned a few times in the past, mostly related to those users who have a dynamic IP address. These discussions, within reason, have been tolerated and as a result we cannot deny methods that could be used for those members who have a static IP address, unless of course those methods start to modify the Diablo 2 client or battle.net infrastructure itself (which this thread does not).

That said, there will most likely never be a guide for it, and we cannot support the methods or programs that are recommended in this thread. If you wish to do this procedure than you do so at your own risk.

Realm downs, while annoying, were implemented by Blizzard to try and address the server strain issues that resulted in alot of players simply being unable to create any games. Personally, I haven't had any issues with it (being realm down'd about 3 times in 3 years) but I know it can cause alot of problems for people who genuinely try to do the right thing and still experience them.

10. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

My tbans always last around 5 to 7 minutes and I have two cdkeys so I don't really have problems with 'em. Still it's annoying because I get tbanned around twice a day because I have to mule alot.

11. EpicDevia

EpicDevia IncGamers Member

added a few lines, because isp's demand to release previously used mac address to get connected a new one.

12. Juvator

Juvator IncGamers Member

I just registered on these forums solely to be able to vouch for this fix that epicdivia posted.

I know there's a lot of people out there with this issue, and have trouble finding a solution. I know it took me awhile to find a good, clear and easy to use fix.

And the above fix is just that, I just used it and it works perfectly.
    I used the latest version and I did not even need to use the ipconfig/renew things. The program just does it all for u.
    Only thing u do is select Change mac adress and voila its done.
    I was able to log back in straight away

+1 for u m8 =)

Also, help your community out and Sticky this.
    I have read some response here and there about this kinda of fix not being allowed.
    I don't see anything illegal about this. Anyone can get a temp restriction for a number of reasons, none of them would directly indicate the use of hacks or bots.
    I mean we all had temp bans for just muling a bit too fast, which is ridiculous and the only reason u get banned for this is as a security matter blizzard made against botters.
    We are obviously the victim of those actions, so why would it not be allowed for us to use a program that can fix this for us.
    Ofc it also fixes it for the botters, but hey... blame blizzard not the program right =)

13. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

While I agree that getting temp banned is not a fun exercise, and in an ideal scenario we wouldn't have it in place at all, I just want to note that the temporary ban functionality wasn't implemented by Blizzard primarily to stop botters, but rather to reduce server strain from anyone (botters and humans) from creating games too quickly (among other things).

The new games being created were done quicker than the old games could get taken off the servers, which resulted in a queue for the users to create new games. It wasn't a fun time to sit on the game creation screen for 20 odd minutes waiting for a spot to become available just to create a new game, hence the implementation of the temporary ban.

14. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

but HOW? :trollface:

If you have static ip, you have static ip. This means you can have only one "external" IP or not have any at all. If you may change the adress other users see you in internet (regardless of the way you change it), you dont have "static" ip.

How come your method worked? Probably your ISP is using DHCP and assigns IP adresses to new users from "unused" adress list. It remembers your MAC adress and once you're logged out and in (say, turned off and on the pc), it will give you the same IP adress (it forgets your MAC after certain time, usually days, however), but once your MAC is changed, you get another IP too. With some ISP, you simply need to turn off and on the internet cable, this solution offers another way to change your IP adress if the first one didnt work. In other words, it is helpful for some users, just not for "static IP" ones. Dont sticky this before changing title at least, it might confuse people with real static IPs. If it worked for you, you dont have static IPs guys. Also, if you got new IP this way, there is NOTHING wrong in it and doesnt violate anything. You are free to buy "new PC" once a day or whatever, with different MAC adress on network adapter.

Also a word of advice: changing MAC adress isnt supposed to be "regular" action, and might be dangerous if you "random" MAC-adress which already exists in your net (though odds are very little).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011