Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] A poor man's Melee Sorc [Guide]

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by jason166, Feb 2, 2004.

1. jason166

jason166 IncGamers Member

[Guide] A poor man's Melee Sorc [Guide]

A poor Man's Melee sorc (aka Zeal sorc)

I have been very interested in making a melee sorc ever since 1.10 came out so I did alot of research on the items and skills I should encorperate only to realize that many people's ideas included expensive rune words like Call To Arms, Beast and Enigma... Now, I am a full time college student with a girl friend and other time consuming things so I don't have the time or even the yearning to find and trade for such expensive Items.

This guide is for those who are like me and don't have all the godly items but still want to make a melee sorc.

Now I'm not going to lie to you, this build will do very good all the way through Nightmare. Hell you might even own quite a few barbs and palys in melee duels at this point, even WWing Barbs :) but when you get to Hell it will be difficult. (and fun)

I won't get into exact stat and skill point distribution but what I suggest this...

Strength - enough for your equiptpment only

Dexterity - enough for max block or close to it.

Mana - Base, 0 points, none.... In my experience, using energy shield just isn't that feasable unless you have max Telekinisis and are using Call to Arms to boost your mana and life. Those skill points can be used in other places as we will see...

Life - All the rest... try to get your life as high as possible.

Suggested Equiptment...

Weapon: A 4 Socketed Phase Blade with the Passion Rune word made in it.
    This is a relativly easy weapon to make compared to the other suggestions I've seen and this is a must for this build! You may say that this weapon will not have much damage and you would be absolutely correct. However a melee sorc does most of her damage via Enchant and Crushing blow and what matters is the rate at which you can apply these. Another main reason for using this weapon is that it will give your sorc +1 to zeal which when combined with a couple +all skills items will allow your sorc to do 3-5 attacks each time she swings and to hit targets at all angles.

Body Armor: Naj's Set Armor, A Smoke Dusk Shroud, or whatever else you have around with nice defense and resistances and hit recovery.

*Helm: Depending on if you are wearing storm shield or not you may want to wear Vamp Gaze for DR and life/mana leech or Tal Rashas for good life, mana, resistances and life/mana leech. You need as much life leech as possible and you probably can't afford to wear a helm without it.

*Shield: Storm shield, or A Sanctuary Shield. If you aren't going to wear vamp gaze you may want to, wear a sanctuary shield for blocking and resistances. The Slow missle on a sanctuary shield can be very usefull sometimes in hell. If you can't get either of these then I would recommend a Moser's blessed shield socketed with 2 perfect diamonds for resitances and blocking.

*Belt: Whether you are wearing Vamp gaze or Stormshield you will probably want to wear a String of Ears with good DR%, closer to 15% the better. The life leach is also very usefull since in hell there is a penalty now on life leech.

(*) Between the 3 of these you will want to atleast be wearing a vamp gaze and a string of ears or a string of ears and a storm shield, if you have string and storm shield then you are allready probably at or close to the max damage reduction cap at 50%.

Boots: Gore Rider. Period. You need the deadly strike and crushing blow that these boots have.

Gloves: You have a couple choices here.. The ideal gloves here are crafted gloves with 20% IAS, some % crusing blow and some % life leech and maybe some other mods.
    If you can't aquire some of those then I recommend either Venom Grip unique gloves which have 5% crushing blow and 5% life leech or A pare of rare gloves with 20% IAS and other useful mods...

Rings: You have alot of choices here... My current melee sorc uses a Raven Frost for Cannot Be Frozen, AR bonus (alot with enchant on) and a good boost to dexterity fo blocking, attack rating and to use the phase blade which requires 136 dex.

*The cannot be frozen mod is highly recommend since being frozen really disables your ability to attack.

My sorc also uses a SOJ for the +1 to all skills which will add another hit to your zeal attack and will give you a little more mana.

Another good choice here if you have it is a Wedding Band ring instead of the Soj which will have life leech and +1 skills

Ofcourse if you don't have any of these a life leech ring with resistanes, str, attack rating or health is good.

Amulet: A cat's eye amulet for 20% IAS , 100 Defense, +100 defense against missles and +25 Dexterity is a great amulet for this character and is relativly easy to obtain. The best Amulet would be a Highlords Wrath which will give you the 20% IAS + 1 skills for more zeal attacks and dmg and deadly strike which will increase your physical damage by 2x and thus your life leech by 2x. If you can't find either of these then I would recommend the best 20% IAS amulet you can muster. The IAS is essential.

Now on to Skill point distribution.

Max enchant.
    Max firemastery.
    Max warmth.

In that order, if you have nothing else to put a point into in the begining you should throw it in warmth.

1 In Static Field.
    1 In Shiver Armor.
    1 In Frost Nova.
    1 In Teleport.

What should you do with your left over skill points? Here are some suggestions.

Put points into Frost Nova for more cold duration to slow enemies in hell.
    Put points into Shiver Armor and synergies to increase your defense rating.
    And my personal Favorite: Put points into lightning mastery!

As you may know in 1.10 Lightning modifies dmg that you do with your melee weapon
    and you can add a bunch of dmg to your attack by collecting small lightning dmg charms at a relativly cheap cost if you don't go for the best ones. The best being a Shocking Small Charm of Storms which would max at 1-99 Damage... Imagine an inventory with 12 of these charms taking up only 3 columns would do 1-1188 Lightning dmg and you will probably be attacking at a very very fast rate so you may hit 3 times a second, so that would be 1782 average lightning dmg a second but wait we havn't factored in level 16 Lightning mastery which would give you + 230% Lightning damage... so we are talking about 3-3920 Lightning Damage added to your weapon and perhaps 5880 average lightning damage a second. And remember you weapon is allready doing around 3000-5000 fire dmg per hit with your investment in skills. So perhaps 12000 average fire damage a second.

For a total of 17800 Elemental Dmg a sec + Your physical damage + Crushing blow dmg.

Now these charms would be very expensive to get but there's nothing wrong with dreaming about it is there? Your best bet is to find as many good damage small lightning charms as you can.

I hope you enjoyed my guide.
    Please correct me or make comments where you deem important.
    Sincerly,
    Jason

2. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

hey..
    no offense, but this article is too short , too little info to be a guide (a lot of things are missing)

few things to point out:

Dont make too much effort to increase physical damage - it will be low anyway.

Crushing blow is nice to have, but not when you have to sacrifice better items for it.

Resistance is lacking - which is a big problem. esp since you dont use energy shield.

The lightening small charm you mentioned - not only they are rare, they are more expensive than you can imagine. they should appear in like an ideal build not a poor man's build.

3. jason166

Problems...

For resistances the solution is to socket helm, armor and shield with resistance jewels/ P diamond, or um rune if you have or can afford.

The lightning charm part at the end is sort of an aside... It's a fantasy really, sorry if that was confusing.

And guides that include every tiny bit of info bore me and leave little creativity intact..

thanks for the comments,
    Jason

4. jason166

just curious...

But who here on this forum has a melee sorc?

5. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

The god of melee sorcies in 09, right here ::raises hand::

Once more, you will need a bow to be decent. Demon machine and kuko are both great picks as I believe enchant is added to the splash damage.

Crushing blow with your attack rating? Erm, I wouldn't count on it for damage.

Skip the frost nova, you'll be better off with a holy freeze merc assuming you have the mana to teleport.

Energy shield is definitely worth it, especially if you're only using one castable spell that lasts for upwards of 20 mins

6. Fable13

Fable13 IncGamers Member

You Know, Its Not That Hard To Get Good Items Fast. Step 1 Make Blizzard Or Meteor Sorc. Step Two Meph Meph Meph Meph Meph Meph. 5 Days Ago Mine Started At Level One And Now I Have Found A Soj, Djinn Slayer String, Glimmershred, Lidless, Skin, Occy. All With 120 Mf And Im Selling The Soj For A Crap Load More. So You See Better To Wait A Little While And Make A Sweet Character That Can Do Hell, Than To Make A Half Way Descent Character That Can Do Nm. And Btw I Am Currently Getting Items For My Melee Sorc

7. jason166

Glad to hear your making a melee Sorc fable but you may have a hard time obtaining any of the expensive rune words like Beast, Chains of Honor and Call to arms with any of those items listed there. That's all I mean when I say a poor man's melee sorc..

btw my current melee sorc is level 73 and she just donned her perfect diamond storm shield, +60 resist all Naj plate (with resist jewel) and +30 resist all Tals (with resist jewel) Still don't have max hell resists but I figure a couple some charms will fix that right up... so not a big problem

I've choosen to put a point into Lightning mastery and the rest of my leftover points into Shiver Armor, going to max it :)

I did forget to mention Kuko, it is an awsome bow for any maxxed out enchant sorc... It gives you the equivalent of 6k fireballs that peirce and explode on multiple targets per shot... works well for cow level where you might not survive doing melee lol :)

Jason

8. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

hehe %)
    Way to go Fable!!!!
    you are an example of what one should do to start....
    i say that cuz i´m sick of n00bs that just whine bout how the game is hard... and don´t do a thing for it to get easier.
    BUT.... a melee sorc needs very expensive items... i suggest you leave her last... and try easier, more normal chars before her.
    BTW, don´t trade your SOJ. Keep it. trade anything else, or u may regret it later.
    any way, congrats :)

9. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

Things you should add:

SKILL PLACEMENT:

What level of Static, when to use?

Thunderstorm?

ES, or no ES. TK before ES if you are going to do that. I know the main reason is the order of damage for Elemental damage, but other people may need to know that.

One point in CM, and LM?

Frost Nova?? Some people really like this, if you are going to melee, slow down everything near you. Its not a terrible strategy. I'm not too familiar with it, but I've seen it.

Which cold armor and how many points in them?

I always like giving the logic behind options. So tell them the costs and benefits of where to spend the skill points after 20 ENCHANT, 20 FM, 20 Warmth

ITEMS:

LEAF Runeword staff, even if you leave it in your stash. Its a great bonus to your enchant damage and its uber cheap. I recommend looking for staffs in between Baalruns in normal before entering NM. The other good place to look for staves in on Cow Runs, just look at all the socketed weapons that fall. Look for two socket with +2 Enchant or higher. Ideal would be +3 ENchant, +3 Fire Mastery

Guilliume's Face (Helm), this is a great helm, DS and CB. I realize no leach, but you can get that elsewhere.

I agree damage reduction is very important, but so would crushing blow and where should you get it??

What about OW and PMH?

CRAFTING AMULETS, I think you can get some great amulets with this.

What about Goblin Toe boots? They are cheaper than Gore Riders and have more CB.

Swordbackhold shield might be a good cheap shield for decent chance to block and OW.

STRATEGY:

Plus skills are good, and can be used and kept in your stash. Even cheap stuff like LORE Runeword helm, even better would be a +3 Fire Skill Helm. +3 Fire Skill Amulet, which may not be what you want to wear when attacking, but you should be able to craft. Magefist (gloves) all can be kept in your stash to raise your Enchant level. Enchant last for over 10 minutes at high levels so you won't be casting too often. Don't worry about giving this super high level to summonable minions like bears and skeletons since they can't be targeted in town and you'll still have a pretty good level of equipment without that best equipment ever in your stash, that you use on yourself and your merc and other people in your parties.

This can also help low level characters level very quickly. Cast a really high level enchant on them and they will have ridiculous AR and damage. Then un party with them and walk in front of them tanking when necessary and casting static, which allows you not to ever kill anything yourself. Their experience won't be dragged down by your high character level because you aren't in their party. And you won't be getting any kills. -- No, the enchant damage they get won't be as great as your damage, but it will still get them well into Nightmare.

10. Kodachi_ysaane

Kodachi_ysaane Banned

That hurt my eyes.