GUID: 0xffffffff 0xdeadbeef 0x0==> GOOD or BAD?

maxgerin

Diabloii.Net Member
GUID: 0xffffffff 0xdeadbeef 0x0==> GOOD or BAD?

I have this item traded from here (or SPF when trades were conducted there, can't remember) sometime ago...

Seraph's Hymn
Amulet
Required Level: 65
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x45227368
GUID: 0xffffffff 0xdeadbeef 0x0
+2 to Light Radius
31% Damage to Demons
31% Damage to Undead
+152 to Attack Rating against Demons
+169 to Attack Rating against Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Defensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)

If I remember correctly, I was told that this (or all items with "GUID: 0xffffffff 0xdeadbeef 0x0") was from v1.10beta.

Are items like this considered tradeable as of now?
Is there a stigma attached to these items?

NOTE: I'm not really sure if I should post this here or in the SPF, so just went with posting it here, trade issue anyway. If wrong place, I kindly ask the mods to transfer where it is more appropriate.

--maxgerin

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
I was under the impression that the only stigmatized beta items were the ones whose stats were changed for 1.10 final (like BK rings, Crescent Moon', 'Bramble', etc) and I hadn't heard of the stats on that item being changed. Could be wrong about both though.

Kremtok

Diabloii.Net Member
You'd likely get a much better response from the SPF, so I'll go ahead and move this thread over there.

1.10 beta items (that have that fingerprint extention) are tradable, although some items (BK ring is the only 1 i can think of, runes and runewords arent tradeable here) are different in the beta, so if its better, make sure you explicitly say it, even if you show the fingerprint as well. just to make sure the other person knows. :thumbsup:
IIRC, the deadbeef thing is there as a reference to cow running in 1.09, and it convientely fits in the with hex system used.

Gohanman

Diabloii.Net Member
JihadJesus said:
I was under the impression that the only stigmatized beta items were the ones whose stats were changed for 1.10 final (like BK rings, Crescent Moon', 'Bramble', etc) and I hadn't heard of the stats on that item being changed. Could be wrong about both though.
I think most of the Brambles floating around are beta (since they're MILES better) and beta Crescent Moon is also significantly better. I know of at least one person that has a beta BK ring. It seems like opinions on these items are at least varied. There's no consensus that they're illegitimate.

The beta was a publicly released patch, after all. It was around longer than 1.07 and people still use items from that patch.

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
lone_wolf said:
just the docs way of showing that the item was found in 1.10 beta as far as i know
Items in 1.10s come with a 96bit (three 32bit) GUID. After it was released, the old 1.10 beta items did not work in 1.10s and I had released a utility called ATS that would convert your 1.10 beta items to 1.10s. Since the 96bit GUID did not exist in 1.10 beta, I added that to it to make it consistent. It's basically a way of knowing that the item was found in 1.10 beta and then converted to 1.10s. I figured it would stand out based on the Cow humor ;)

--T

Kremtok

Diabloii.Net Member
So when trading these items, the traditional fingerprint cannot be used to track duplicates? I'd be leery about swapping these around, especially since they released that item pack back in beta.

Hakai_no_Tenshi

Diabloii.Net Member
Kremtok said:
So when trading these items, the traditional fingerprint cannot be used to track duplicates? I'd be leery about swapping these around, especially since they released that item pack back in beta.
The 96bit GUID is in *addition* to the traditional fingerprints. Runes in 1.10s had the GUID and I suspect that this is what Blizzard is using to track duped runes on the realms right now since 1.10 final accepts items with and without the GUID. It's an even more stringent check since the traditional fingerprint is only 32bits in length.

--T

foosnark

Diabloii.Net Member
bill_n_opus said:
I was wondering what the "deadbeef" thing was all about.
0xDEADBEEF is programmer humor basically. There are a few words "spelled" in hexadecimal that are frequently used as code numbers to mean specific things:

BEEF
C0DE
DEAD
FACE
FEED
F00D

etc. Usually pairs of these are combined into DEADC0DE, FEEDFACE, etc. for 32-bit integers.