Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: You Play Like A Girl!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: You Play Like A Girl!

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-play-girl.shtml

This article talks about the common (male) preconception that everyone else playing is a boy, and why gender-based insults are as common online as green breast plates from Meph runs.

As you've probably guessed, the author of this article is a female, and the only thing this one is missing is her description of the inevitable reaction when she reveals her gender to the dopey guys who were flaming her a moment before: 1) Are you hot? 2) Do you wanna cyber?

2. fluff

fluff IncGamers Member

This was a fun article. I'm a bloke myself but my last girlfriend was a big games player and had very similar experiences to you!

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I find nothing in this article shocking -- or revealing. The vast majority of BNetters are adoloescent/teenage boys, ages 12-18. Internet anonymity and youthful immaturity tend to make for a pretty baudy, sometimes even offensive playing environment.

In regards to sexism, I cannot make excuses. However, I certainly remember being a 14-year-old myself. To a hormonally-charged boy who doesn't know any better, girls appear to be (paradoxically) both incomprehensible outer space beings and sexual objects. Some will outgrow this. Some never will.

Men and women may be somewhat different in their psychological/emotional makeup, but they really are not that different -- and there is certainly no universal law that states that women are not as competent at gaming as men are. That's just a silly stereotype.

As far as multi-play games go, I've played with many women over the years. Some are amazing players, some are hopeless. The same thing applies to my fellow males. The same thing goes for overall maturity. I've seen girls that could give the boys a run for their money as far as immaturity and offensive language goes. Most of the ladies I've played and chatted with online seem to be more mature -- however, note that the key word here is 'seem'. The illusion of better behavior is simply a reflection of the fact that there are far fewer female gamers overall. If there were just as many 14-year-old-girls playing D2 as boys, I will bet anybody here that the level of immaturity on BNet would be no better than it is now. Girls can be just as rude and just as mean-spirited as the boys.

One of my favorite D2 playmates is female. She is fun to chat with and is an amazingly good player -- probably better than I am in every possible way. She is reliable, polite, trustworthy and mature. Those are four important traits that dictate who I play with and who I ignore.

Skepsis, I still have that screenshot, so don't even think of rubbing it in! [/blackmail] :lol:

4. Siaon

Siaon IncGamers Member

Maybe I'm naïve but I simply find this all very unimaginable, much like when you let a million monkeys on a million typewriters write shakespeare: eventually it might happen if you wait long enough, but this is hardly representative for the community, never mind how weird all these 'girl' remarks look in that context - I'm simply not buying, sorry.

Do have to agree on certain aspects of the 'community' being rather annoying at best, people spamming 'pp' over 20 times on your screen, sigh, I have long given up on working on the bunch of them, but sometimes you meet some sane people ^^

(And I can't stand people using y as yes instead of why(As if it's too hard to type 3 letters, pp is similar annoying, I mean: if you're too lazy to type party please then you're probably not worth partying in the first place), so if you ever get someone to hostile you for saying y as yes, it's probably me having a bad hairday)

5. Jugalator

Jugalator IncGamers Member

Actually, the scary part here is that it might not even be true.

I know much older people who have been acting as immature as someone in his early teens, and vice versa.

We recently made a poll in a D2 community with around a thousand members, and the average age was 20-25.

6. Youma

Youma IncGamers Member

Ignorant people probably just want a small defenseless group of people to pick on. It couldn't be a country or ethnicity, because it would get them banned, so they pick on girls instead.

7. HexHammer

HexHammer IncGamers Member

Now after 5 years online, I can for sure testefy, that age has nothing to do, with maturity.
    People marriged, who have kids etc, can act just as immature, as a teen kid, so don't sort to the easy age discrimination.

8. Tanith

Tanith IncGamers Member

I'd say we D2 addicts come in all ages and genders. Recently I was clearing out Kurast with a girl who was seven years old, who could spell as well as any college kid. Another player joined while we were chatting, and he was stunned to find out I'm a 36-year-old woman. But then the youngster spoke up and said her dad also plays D2--and he's 45! :uhhuh:

So, there's all sorts out there on BattleNet. That's what makes it interesting.

Tanith :lady:

9. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

Well, I for one can completely empathise with the author's experiences. No matter what game I've played online, I've seen so many "you play like a girl comments" over the years and games, that its almost unreal. Ironically, most of them weren't even directed at me. One thing I will say however, is that I have seen it a lot more in FPS games, rather than here in diablo. The aiming comment being a prime example.

There are so many times I haven't answered the question "Is anyone here a girl?" in games, even when the person asking is female. Why? Because if you do well, you're in for abuse. As soon as I win or do well as a woman, I'm "cheating", or using "girl tactics" (as though I have some special girly computer equipment which those of the opposite gender can't use).

Of course, I'm more amused by this or anything. I know that the people who are spamming the screen with this drivel are the aforementioned teenage boys.....or, more correctly.....those loudmouth people with the mentality of an immature teenage boy. They are the ones who annoy everyone, even each other, in some way or another. The ones who can't conduct a conversation in english or get by without calling at least one person a "n00b" or a "p***y" every five minutes (of course, being called the latter is doubly amusing).

Its a shame, they're giving teenage boys a bad name....

10. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Special girly computer equipment. :lol:

Every once in a while, my friend reveals her womanliness to the bunch we are playing with just for the bloody heck of it. It is usually met with a moment of silence followed by a barrage of silly and sexist (but as-of-yet not offensive) comments like:

1. I'll protect ya!

2. Stay behind me!

3. U a girl? Kewl!

4. Liar!

I have to write a book about Battle.net someday. So many great laughs. :D

11. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Marry Me :lol:

Just kidding and all, but really a great article. I have grown tired of that 1.10 is too ez/or too hard, but your article made me smile. It's well done in that the twist at the end was totally unexpected on my part.

I have known a few D2 players that have been female. I remember one being 40~ish, one goes to my school, and have met some others.

D2, Great Family Fun that even Mom can enjoy :scratch:

~Kbob

12. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

Now there's a book I'd like to read :D

And I've seen all of the above on those few occasions I have revealed myself (wait, that sounds so wrong...).

I often play Diablo with my sister. There's been a number of times she's invited me into a game, introducing me as her sister, and the people she's been playing with then question me about how often I play with my brother, and how cool and weird it is to see a girl playing. Or even come up with some comment about how they'd seen a girl playing once (I had never realised girl gamers were the stuff of legends). All the while, my sister is secretly laughing herself silly, obviously.

I also remember once being in a hotel, and went into the luggage holding area to get some of my stuff. I happened to pull out my copy of PC Gamer, at which point the porter almost fell over, and looked at me as though I was blue with polka dots. The words out of his mouth? "I didn't realise girl gamers existed". He was a nice guy, and we talked a little about our favourite games, but he never lost his expression of wonderment. There happened to be a sci-fi convention going on at the time - and did he look twice at the people who were walking around the lobby dressed as all sorts of fantasy figures?? I think not.... :scratch:

Life is far too weird sometimes...

13. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

As Irene the Infirm said: "Anyone who says I fight like a girl has never seen a girl fight". :evil:

14. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

hmm.. the few times i revealed that i was a girl on bnet, i got cussed out, yelled at, and automatically called ugly :(

15. Unicorn Marketeer

Unicorn Marketeer IncGamers Member

Sigh... Rudeness

I play Diablo II and War 3, and the level of rudeness, at times, is enough to make me want to shelve online gaming, at least for awhile.

Honestly though, when you take a look at the science, shouldn't females be... better than males at games (on average)? Most studies say that women can keep track of more things/factors/variables at the same time than men can, which implies that they are capable of better micro...

Using "you play like a girl" as a derogatory is just a cheap shot, founded on an ignorant way of looking at people and gaming.

And people wonder why the gender distribution in gaming is so skewed....

*sigh*

16. SSH83

SSH83 IncGamers Member

LoL. Nice article.

You have to remember, though, that most of these low-level verbal offenders are young boys in puberty, and the most important thing to those players is their pride and masculinity. So in their opinion, being called a girl is a pain worse than death, and since they are also incidentally incapable of caring for others (or think about the possibility of a woman gamer in a sexless environment), they won't hesitate before dishing out such strange name-calling to their victims.

Just think of these kids as worst wannabe pimp you can possibly imagine and all of their actions become quite understandable. That's not just for name-calling neither, btw. It also explains their tendency to hit on players with in-game female avatar/identity. :)

17. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Your not ugly, just physically challenged ^_^

<3 ^____________________________________^

jk ^_^

18. Raena

Raena IncGamers Member

That happened to me to. The moment the knew I was a girl they told me that diablo wasn't for girls and that I was fat and ugly. Ofcourse there were also the times that they immidiatly asked me what age I was, were I lived and if I had a boyfriend...

19. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Is it really?, or is it society, INCLUDING WOMEN, who has perpetuated this?

Women are becoming increasingly more action oriented in our media and what do we see, women acting like men and using mascoline values as if thats the greatest accomplishment they can achieve, and they don't seem to realize that when they do that, they themselves are belittling whats to be feminine and a woman and glorifying males.

It gets even worse once the tables turn, try having a woman wearing mens clothes...then she's a liberated smart woman...but if a man wears women clothing then he's a crossdressing <censored>...a man who explores the feminine side is weak...a woman who explores her masculine side is strong.

All of this perpetuates that anything girlish/womenish is weaker and inferier.

20. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I very rarely disclose my age or sex on bnet. What difference would it make? If someone has a crude comment about old ladies..then I just leave.