Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: What is the Point?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: What is the Point?

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-what-point.shtml

This article, by a long time, expert HC player, discusses the joys of attempting to surmount the latest instantly fatal bug in D2 (Fire Enchanted monsters) while playing high level Hardcore characters, and why he keeps playing the game, even after the countless heartbreaks all long time HC players experience.

2. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

Well at least he knows how to play the game...

3. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

I agree with him whole heartedly. I may have been playing this game since the original release (sadly enough I never devoted enough time to get past mid50's), but I still enjoy the challenge.

Well said my friend, well said :)

4. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

I think this guy is really smart, I mean, he knows alot and remembers a lot. My advice: just quit diablo all together.

5. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Hardcore is not for me. I like acquiring wealth instead of losing it all do to one miscalculated hit. I take great pride in having accounts full of decked out Patriarchs and Matriarchs.

I guess Gaurdianship isn't for all. I have only played hardcore once and that was just to waste time one night.

~Kbob

6. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

I was being sarcastic. Just about evey paragraph started with "I know how to play this game."

7. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

Hardcore... what a great idea! At least, it was, in theory.

Sadly, the gap between theory and reality is measured in terms of griefers and bugs. 1.10 D2 hardcore on battle.net has no shortage of either.

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

When you start acting like this author of this article, its a sure sign that you have more then satisfied your life quota of Diablo II.

What is the point? There is no point because in the end, its still just a game.

9. Insomniak

Insomniak IncGamers Member

I enjoyed reading this - Good article. The sentiment probably makes more sense if you are a hardcore player already.

If it wasn't for hardcore I probably would have quit this game some time ago. The rush from a near-death experience or the instant sinking in the pit of your stomach when you lose a high level and equip when soloing keep me coming back - yes, I lose a lot of chars - maybe I shouldn't do HC :p

Insom.

10. bioform

bioform IncGamers Member

There are only two types of Players

Hardcore and "Training-Mode" or what ever you call it... ;)

After your first really painfull death in HC (mine was a level 71 CB sorc) I guess that is when you realize if your HC or not... Me I would rather enjoy this path... knowing and enjoying the intensity and commitment.

I guess that's one reason I prefer climbing in the "real" world rather than the gym. A great game... made better by HC.

11. Makhlath

Makhlath IncGamers Member

He claims that he does,- but appearently, since he died to a well known FE bug, he definately doesn't.

12. DarkwingDuck

DarkwingDuck IncGamers Member

he brings up alot of good memories

fighting some of the bosses for the first time, not knowing whats gonna pop out at you in Duri's chamber, the surprise of the Ancients coming to life from statues....

memories....

13. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

Exactly right...if you really need to find a purpose in life, playing a video game is not the way to do it. Some aspects of my life have a point (my kids, my business), but my video game? If that becomes the point, please kill me quickly.

14. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

The point is not to play Hardcore because:

1. Diablo has many bugs
    2. Lagggggggggggggggggg
    3. It is stressful trying to avoid death in every corner

I play Diablo to unwind, to relax and entertain myself. Fearing ABSOLUTE death in every twist and turn for my twinked ladder characters isn't my idea of fun.

15. toader

toader Banned

Let me start off by saying, I know how to play the game. Now Id like to let you all know that I know how to play the game.

Before I say my next point, I know how to play the game. Ok, here is my point. This FEar that you speak of...to me FEar is wearing above 50% resists and having a little DR and VIT so that you NEVER die in one hit.

Oh yea, I know how to play the game.

16. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

What's the point with this article? is what I'd like to ask. To say that he knows how to play the game? To state that Diablo II is "just a game" (heard that about a thousand times). Guess what, a good game is always more than a game.

17. toader

toader Banned

This is NEVER true. If anyone thinks its true, they need to take a hard look at their lifestyles.

18. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

That's just a matter of taste. In your opinion it's (obviously) unhealthy to "live the game", while it in my opinion is necessary that a game is that addictive to really enjoy it. Isn't the "live the game"-thing what builds up all rpg games? I mean: the whole idea with role playing is the disconnection from the outer world.
    I may be sick, demented or whatever, but I enjoy it :yep:

19. toader

toader Banned

What you say makes sense. Im all about getting into games too. But, when you shut it down, its done, left in cyberspace. It still remains, just a game. Can you use this game as an outlet from the real world?...sure.

20. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Toader: I think we use different definitions of "more than a game". What I mean when I say more than a game is, for example, discussions based only on the game, thinking about the game as something that is real is a sense Super Mario bros isn't real. Me and my brother can sit for hours discussing items, builds, things that happened on bnet and so on as if we in fact were discussing "real" issues. I can also think about the game myself in bed at night, when trying to sleep. I can long for mount Arreat if I don't play for some days and I can get angry thinking about that the world of Diablo II will never come real. That's what I mean when I say more than a game. And by my definition everything "outside" the game about the game makes the game more than a game. So this forum actuallu helps Diablo II to be more than a game.
    I guess that your definition is of the type "He killed 12 because he believed he was The Lord of Terror"=more than a game. If it is so, I think we can agree.