Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: There are Kind People on Battle.net

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: There are Kind People on Battle.net

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-kind-people.shtml

This heart-warming article discusses the amazing charity and benevolence displayed by your typical public game of B.neters... at least ones you've just plied with a town square full of high quality free items. Feel the love.

2. Dangerous Old Man

Dangerous Old Man IncGamers Member

I too have done things like this. Not when I was quitting the game in a permanent sense (as if I could accomplish that) but when I was moving on. By moving on, I mean when I made the move from softcore to hardcore and then again making the move from hardcore to the new ladder characters.

Sure, I kept some items for a while, but I knew I wouldn't be returning to the old mode or version. I equate it to moving from one house to another in the real world. You have a basement full of "stuff" but your new house doesn't have a basement.

You can hold a garage sale, taking time from your family and your work, or you can donate it to the Salvation Army. Either sell D2 items on ebay which would take time away from my playing or give it away and hope it goes to a responsible and respectable player.

I applaud the author for choosing the way I feel is more noble but will curse him if that gaze falls into the hands of a PK. :) That's the downside, of course. He showed trust in human nature and most of the time that is the correct thing to do. Bravo and we'll look for your return. You will return you know? Insert evil laughter here.

Dangerous Old Man

3. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

Kindness and compassion?! Mind you, there are kind and compassionate people on B-Net, but this article proves nothing. So, you're going to tell me that after being showered with an immense load of incredible gear, you're going to tell the guy he sucks and should never play again??? If everyone else says the "Rush and items" thing, you're not going to chip in to seem like a nice guy? I doubt it very, very much. Anyone on B-Net becomes "kind and compassionate" after being given even mediocre free stuff; with the caliber of the stuff this guy was giving away, I'm surprised they weren't bowing down before him and making an altar of his likeness.

I get his point, which is, of course, not everyone is a jerk on B-Net, and you can find good ones. I think his story just poorly illustrated the point. It would have been better titled "Want to find kindness and compassion on Battle.net? Give away all of your stuff."

4. Bignerdmatt

Bignerdmatt IncGamers Member

There are still SOME nice people out there. I used to be one of them, Ive developed a sort of thick skin now. I usually ignore people, grab what I can and just play as if Im the only person alive.

Occasionally Ill find a similar spirit, someone who has lost their will to be nice, and well play just fine.

Its just so hard to be nice when you have people following you around going "Gimme itamz prz !" and leading boss packs of LE's right back to you :p

5. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

Yes, there are. Theses people are out numbered 5:1 against people who have no souls, and thats the problem.

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Tell me about that one. I have some high characters and they always get followed around, all the time hearing.."Do you have this or that?" I don't give to anyone like that. I ONLY give to players that are trying to pull their weight and having a tough time. I will bring in a low level character and play for a bit..and if there are those who are helpful, I bring in my mules and give stuff away.

7. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

I usually give away stuff to people who I find to be very nice people... Like for example if I'm in a game or something having trouble on a certain area, and they help me through it and give me a rush through the rest of the difficulty, and even take the time to give me wps and stat/skill quests, without asking anything in return. People like that I'll usually just grab a few of my decent items that I don't use (but are still pretty decent, like occulus/shaftstop area value items) and give it to them.

Either that or I give my stuff away to friends.....

8. Lileofavelion

Lileofavelion IncGamers Member

I second to that.

It is a well written article with a poorly illustrated point. If you wrote the article from the perspective of the receiving end of these items, then you could at least make some point out of it.

9. blueheed

blueheed IncGamers Member

So in order to find these good people we basically have to pay them with every drop of decent items we have? Wow, that's like having a mercenary friend, give him five bucks and he'll be your friend for a day and do anything for you.
    There's good people out there, but you don't necessarily know how good that guy standing outside the 7-11 asking for your money is. Though he sure is gracious when you drop him a fiver.

10. theseus

theseus IncGamers Member

generally people who dont know you dont care or help

11. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Thats the general trend of bnet.

Although I'm not saying that kindness doesn't exist on bnet, this article doesn't make a good case for it. I thought the author was being scarcastic at first. As I was reading I thought, he had to give away all of his stuff to get a good reaction from the crowd.

There are kind peopple out there. It does take some effort to find them, usually an act of kindness on your part first. I mean who doesn't want to be friendly toward someone who just offered to help just for the sake of it? Most people just don't take the initiative to act first. By acting kind, you don't have to give away the best item you ever found. You could give away items, help with a quest, or even just give friendly tips to a person in need.

There was a "mass benevolent movement" on these forums a while ago. The specifics escape me but I remember that a lot of people participated by going about being helpful on bnet, often doing the things I mentioned above. It was an effort (probably in vain) to try to make bnet a more comfortable community. We hoped that through acts of kindness from many of the forum readers here, the effect could be reciprocated and trickle through bnet.

I think that is the key to finding kind people. You don't always find kind people, you make them.

12. PallyRanger

PallyRanger IncGamers Member

Just my opinion here but here goes:

Most people that post here in the forums are generally kind and won't skroo you over. I have encountered a few of them on b.net and a couple have helped me muling back and forth. And I think the ratio is more like 100:1 on the realms, but occassionally you will find an honorable player who will help rather than hinder your quest to better yourself in the game.

-PallyRanger

13. c64flash

c64flash IncGamers Member

I agree, now it's more like a "look how good and nice I am" article.

14. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

That's what I was gonna say. I've played diablo on B.net for a long time before I heard of this forum with it's friendly population, and believe me, it was really hard to find nice people. I had 6 people in my F list, one being a real-life friend, the other 5 the ONLY nice people I met. After coming here, my F list is full :)

15. Aerin

Aerin IncGamers Member

That was an enjoyable read. Heart-warming, though not without a fair degree of cynicism.

Myself, I'm a pessimist through and through. I no longer care to tally the number of times I've seen 'stfu', 'n00b' and '***' (edit: oh lord, it's censored? This is a sad age we live in) hurled in my general direction. I'll only play in passworded games with people I know in real life these days. And I believe Warcraft III players are actually worse the majority of the time.

Blizzard need to make their games more difficult and inaccessible, if only to drive these idiots away. Showing a nipple and getting the game branded with an 'R' rating would be a good start. Of course that'd result in the game being banned in Australia, but what can you do?

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

If a single person in those freebie games piped up to ask "Hey, why are you giving all of this away? Giving up the game? Is everything all right?" that would have been a kind person on Bnet.

People in a friendly mood after they got a bunch of loot . . . that isn't very newsworthy. ;)

17. Quelex-X

Quelex-X IncGamers Member

I'm gonna have to agree with that, a slim Amount of people on bnet are nice, others will just be nice to get your items and help with quests or exp. But the way bnet is, you cant expect to find genuine kindness by giving those standard items away. This article is nice, but isn't all too true in this case.