Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: It's Supposed to be Harder!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: It's Supposed to be Harder!

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-supposed-harder.shtml

This double guest article is by Ledraen & Oct, and it combines two short, similarly-themed guest article submissions into one page. Both of these authors are tired of all the whining and bitching about the increased difficulty of v1.10, and have some reasons why it's harder, and suggestions how to still have fun and succeed while playing it.

2. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

"Tesladin"!!! hahaha!!!! thats great! (go c&c :))

3. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Takes the dead horse, digs it up and sees nothing but bare, dry bones. Beats it anways, reburies it and hope he never sees it again.

Poor horse.

Okay, I don't agree with many of the opinions presented in this article. However, haven't we rode this merry-go-round before?

'shed

4. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Bah this game is only fair when Irene the Infirm can beat hell mode Bhaal.

5. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

I also disagree with quite a few points in these articles. Though I've stuck with it and prospered in 1.10, it truly saddens me the large number of my friends who have given up on Diablo after a number of years fervently supporting both the game and Blizzard because of 1.10.

Regardless of the (apparently) transparent question of whther the game is simply too tough, these fan-boi articles and the people who have been happy with 1.10 have consistently failed to address or even acknowledge two core issues :

1. They will consistently push the fact that Diablo is now meant to be a group game. What they dont realise is many, many people (the majority ?) are forced to play in public games. This would be fine if it wasnt for pick-it hacks and map hacks. These are still very widely used and very common.

How can you justify forcing people to play multi player (and thereby public) games when they have next to zero chance of picking up the occassional piece of decent loot because of pick-it hacks, which automatically pick up any decent items which drop for the cheats who are so prolific.

2. They will spout off about how the core interest in the game is banging your head against a brick wall until you finally work out imbalance between classes.

Absolute rubbish.

Instead of addressing the ridiculous class imbalance it has been made even more extreme.

The fact is this game which once gloried in how many different ways you could play it and how many different types of chars you could have within a class, now has very few builds which have any chance of surviving, let alone doing well. Its like they had some really great ideas but eventually realised they didnt have enough time to do all the classes and skills justice under 1.10.

And the point about 'most damage skills have 3-5 synergies' is so silly its hilarious. The bottom line, for instance with bow-zons, is that unless you can get one of a very small number of bows you are totally stuffed. Even less diversity.

Yes it is possible to survive in 1.10 and its possible to do well but, ultimately, the game is now flawed by 1.10 being too ambitious and failing to spend enough development time to do all the classes and skills justice.

And if I had one and only one point to make I would repeat and underline the question : how is it fair to force people to play multi player, and therefore, public games when the pickit hack will usually stop them picking up any decent loot.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

couple of points:

1. solo vs party: there are many solo builds out there. i have completed the game with 3 different solo builds. the key is eq. you can't solo naked, but once you get some eq and start muling it, it's cake. that's how it should be. if the good eq doesn't make you a god, then by definition, that eq sucks.

2. "ww costs too much mana": use more mana leech, duh. i use 2-3X as much as i did in .09, and i never run out. so i have to use a dual leech amulet now. whoopie.

3. yep, i have completely lost interest in .10 for several reasons: my mules all expired, my .09 accounts expired while waiting for this patch, and i'm waiting for a ladder reset.

7. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Solo play is possible, but it is hard to get there. So hard that many people have quit the game for good. Its also made huge swaths of equipment, skills, builds and legitimate play styles redundant.

I think many of the people who are vociferous in supporting 1.10 forget how much they have learnt about the game. If you have a lot of skill, know the game and all stats inside out and you still find it very hard to get going in solo play then in my mind the game is too tough. Understand I'm not saying I havent been able to do it, I'm saying a lot of other people havent been able to.

I would be happy if they just either made the solo offline game easier or introduced a difficulty setting for it, that way the folks who struggle at least have an otion of playing with the new 1.10 skills and equipment.

8. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Yawn, more "look at me!!!" rants from "l33t g05us". Maybe they could try playing though 1.09 Hell when the best ring they have found is a naglering. On their own. Fat chance, they wouldn't be able to tell us how n00B we are for saying 1.10 is too hard.

9. tl998

tl998 Banned

there's a reason this game has 3 difficulty settings. Yes I think the diversity of build that can make it thru hell has shrunk, and until blizzard addresses that, people can still make the builds they like and beat nightmare! Yes, you heard me, if you think hell is too hard for you build, then don't go to that last difficulty level! Yes your build in underpowered in this patch, so until blizzard does something to change that, you can be content to beat 2 out of the 3 difficutly levels in the game. If that doesn't suit you, then you can cry about it.

ONLY THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST (AND MAYBE SOMEWHAT RICH) CAN OWN IN HELL DIFFICULTY.

10. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

This subject for sure is a overdiscussed one. I have no comments left.

11. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

I have 3 complaints about 1.10-

1. Cows. I could understand that if they wanted to drop the quality of items dropped by them, but to ruin it all together? Man I loved cows, and now, where can you get solid exp? Baal takes way too long and the exp sucks.

2. Anti-rushing. I can understand if they had this on ladder only, but come on. I think playing through the entire game is boring, but building and leveling charactors is great, and I did a lot of it in 1.09.

3. Iron Madden. This is the only thing that can kill my melee charactors and I am defenceless against it. In the middle on zeal, I hear that noise and automaticly, I know I'm dead. Same thing with wirldwind. No Enigma, BOTD, or even a COA could protect anyone from it. Becuase of this I have leveled my non-ladder 90+ guys (4 of them) one level. Not one level each, One level on my 91 barb from doing 35+ baal runs. 12-15 fast, fun cow runs could get me level back in 1.09.

12. BoneSaw

BoneSaw IncGamers Member

[Finally a place to vent]

The thing that bothers me is that in 1.10 you have to party AND have godly equipment to survive and do some damage. On top of that you need to use usually one skill and max all the synergies to that skill to do any damage in hell. I guess hell is only for the totally l33t players with all the godly equipment that take every single skill point into account.(And yes I do have characters that have made it through Hell)

I laugh every time I see a sorc in Hell. They are totally useless now with every monster being immune to either cold or fire. Gotta be fun standing around half the time while the rest of your party kills the monsters you have no effect on. And yes you could be dual tree, but that just makes your main spell that much less effective.

Not to mention that the runes to make just decent runeword items(BoTD, Enigma, Doom) are next to impossible to find. Which means only the dupers have access to them. In my mind dupers are almost good for the community. I mean, how many enigmas would exist if they weren't around? One or two maybe. What are the chances of me ever getting a zod? I should play the lottery if I think I'm that lucky.

Oh and another thing. What with all these unique/set items where the stats are all wrong. Take the Naj set for instance. To equip the whole set you need to be a LEVEL 78! And look at the stats. "adds 6-45 lightning damage". WTF is this for? A melee sorc in hell. Wow that 6-45 damage is going to freaking own!. "+50% damage to undead" aha more melee stuff. gg blizzard. In conclusion, most sets are a joke. If it weren't for the stupida$$ auras that are given to some of the complete sets, I doubt people would even use them.(Unless I'm completely mistaken and that those figures are added to spells such as meteor and orb, which I'm pretty sure they aren't. And even then a measly 6-45 damage isnt going to help much.)

Yes, that is my incoherant rambling for today.

Bonesaw

13. Anidem

Anidem Banned

It is way cool to see a nickname for a charcter so clever and insightful. Kudos for its creator!

14. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Did you read the articles at all? there should be only 1 person at the top of the pyramid and others striving to be.
    Why do you play? It sounds like you just like winning not playing the game. you want the final prize without the fight. It's bad enough that people like you roam the realms so please SHUT UP and QUIT CRYING because you have to put some effort into something!

15. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Well, several problems with this.

1. Several monsters cannot be mana drained, less of a problem for powergamers, but a big problem for casual players.

2. Builds are more intense, leaving even less space for adding energy and mana on your build, hence *very* little mana to pay for the 35 mana expense.

3. Harder to hit monsters, more out of sync monsters and crappy range on most weapons means you can whirl and not actually hit anything which will leave you defenseless.

4. Physical Immunes cannot be drained.

5. mana drainers are a big problem, even worse when combined with monsters you cannot drain from...or if its PI manadrainers.

16. Anidem

Anidem Banned

(Would you rather win, get bored and quit forever or need the occasional frustration break? This tell a lot about your personality.)

17. Magos

Magos IncGamers Member

Anidem you've quoted a number of my points, but not the most important. I havent quit, I havent given up and I am doing well in terms of xp, levels, surviving and MF'ing.

I am trying to see it from the perspective of the folk who havent been able to. And from the point of view of folk who dont find it as much fun. You see a lot of people who have quit havent quit because they couldnt 'beat the game' but because it is now far less fun than it used to be. And I dont mean fun as it used to be by using cheesy tactics or builds.

The extreme nature of the game now is suitable for the people with the most easily addicted natures, and the small number of very, very capable players.

You're point about being able to load up the game with 1.09 is valid but its a real kick in the nuts for the many, many people who have stuck around with Diablo and Blizzard waiting a very long time for the 1.10 patch.

Quote : (Not everyone has what it takes not to be a Quitter!)

Well to use your own words on that one, "This tell a lot about your personality".

18. DariusTriplet

DariusTriplet IncGamers Member

I'm tired of reading articles about how you have to party to survive in 1.10 Hell. SP gets the major disadvantage of FE being highly bugged, yet there are still quite a few Mats/Pats out there.

It's extremely possible to solo the game. Granted, it's a lot harder, but that just makes it even more fun.

19. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I also find it difficult to find anything new to say about 1.10 articles, whether the commentary is good or bad. However ...

That statement is pure gold. People just got so incredibly used to the ease of play in 1.09 that 1.10 threw them for a complete loop. Heaven forbid that we might have to rethink our playing strategy!

75% of my old characters became nearly useless when 1.10 went live. I stripped them and turned them into hell mules without even batting an eyelash. I am not a powergamer. I do not have 6000 accounts filled with the godliest of godly items. I was able to adapt to the changes and I now don't find the game much harder than it was before. I just can't figure out why so many other people can't (or won't).

20. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

many of my old 09ers whrre relegated to mule status because of this patch. The crown jewel of my accounts, my 288% cruel warpike of quickness double shael become virtually worthless overnight! The barb that used it, once the most devastating legit barb i had SEEN let alone made was reduced to a harmless puppy. one day he will return with his glorious weapon...one day.

anyway i like things being harder, but i dont like how bliz made it close to impossible to solo hell with anything but a select few builds.

Oh well i wasnt expecting this to be perfect and NO im not getting rid of the pike! It will remain enshrined on the barb who once used it until it is called into action again...