Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: Irene the Infirm

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: Irene the Infirm

Since the forum database went boom a week or so ago, this thread is being reposted.

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-irene4.shtml

Follow the adventures of Irene, a skill-less, stat-less, equipment-less, hardcore sorceress, as she battles through act 1, with varying degrees of success. If you're new to this article, it would be best if you started with part one.
    http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-irene1.shtml

And be sure you check out MongoJerry's other improbable character sagas while you're there; they can be seen in the Columnists Index Page table of contents. We'll be posting a long Enchantress Strategy Guide by MongoJerry as well, in the weeks to come. It's his going away present to the community, since (he says) he's retiring from the game, for a while at least, in order to concentrate on his studies.

2. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Thats one hell of an accomplishment.

3. Anadriel

Anadriel IncGamers Member

Wow.

I am VERY impressed. Like Lord Chaos said, that's one hell of an accomplishment.

4. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I really thought that Andariel was going to slaughter them since she has quite a powerful melee (though rarely used) to go along with death by poison. Actually, I didn't think they would make it to her in the first place.

My own naked sorcy finally made it past Blood-Raven a week ago but my patience abandoned me in the Cellars.

5. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Kb

I made my Irene to the 12th lvl or so and got as far as the the Malus quest. I knew that if my poor skillz could get me that far, then Mongo would go all the way.

Great reading my friend. I can't wait for the next installment of your chars. Sadness will come over this fine site when these great series come to an end.

6. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy IncGamers Member

Heh, that must have taken a long time, and a lot of skill.

7. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Mongo this was a really cool story. You really made me believe that Irene would not survive the catacombs in your intro paragraph. I realized about 1/2 way through the Andariel battle just how intensely I was focused on the story cuz the phone rang and I actually flinched! It was actually good timing because it put me in a sort of etherial state of mind for "The Death Screen" chapter. Word by word, sentence by sentence, I read the account of the final battle with Andy, and with each passing syllable the impending victory of Irene and Aliza hightened my pleasured state of mind like the islands finest herb!
    Having the duo decline to continue the adventure was the only justifiable ending. Extending a story untill it loses focus and enjoyability is a crime (The Matrix ne1?). I have not enjoyed an ending this much since the movie Out of Time where the evil escapes in the body of a cat as the narration quips "Remember, I said let me tell you about the day I ALMOST died.".

8. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

I am going to be thoroughly shamed now any time I die in Act 1 normal for whatever reason. An amazing feat and well chronicled to boot!

BTW, the movie with Denzel and the evil spirit was 'Fallen.' 'Out of Time' was his recent non-supernatural cop flick.

9. Skater_Stud

Skater_Stud IncGamers Member

You are a great writer

I was on the edge of my seat while reading. My room mate started to make fun of me after I read the second part and said "I can hardly wait to see what happens to them next time." Soon after that he started reading them and he admited that it was intense. You are a great writter, keep it up.

10. Icewind

Icewind IncGamers Member

I downloaded Irene and took her on over to Lut Gholein to avenge the death of her cousin and his son at the request of her cousin-in-law Atma. I cleared the first two sewer levels with only a few close calls (burning dead fire damage and slow hit recovery hurt) I got careless in Level 3 though and saw my deeds (most of them stolen from MongoJerry) remembered.

I'll try again later though, I think Radament can be taken down by Irene and Aliza, emphasis on Aliza.

11. tl998

tl998 Banned

Mongo you should keep building these wacky builds! We LOVE your adventures!

12. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Alchemy

These are the best D2 articles I've ever read.

I vote that Irene takes up the profession of Alchemist, using her new found skills to lob explosive and poisonous potions on her victims while Aliza fires from afar.

That way she still doesn't know how to use any equipment. Based on her adventures so far, I'd say she's pretty deft at potion purchasing, juggling, and quaffing. Why not learn to throw them?

13. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a particular dexterity rating to use some potions. That could possibly defeat the purpose of having a stat-less character.

14. Quelex-X

Quelex-X IncGamers Member

Wow.

I thought Irene and Aliza (But mainly Aliza.) would be able to kill her, but reading it had me wondering if she would. That is one hell of an accomplishment.