Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: D2 vs. Fallout 2

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: D2 vs. Fallout 2

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-d2-fallout2.shtml

This guest article by Havoc Jack is a much longer discussion of the D2 vs. Fallout 2 issue, brought up by the recent Gamespy title fight, won by D2 with a boost from our news item pointing you guys there. It would have been perfect to post it on the 16th, when the vote was underway, but unfortunately I didn't begin reading the guest article submissions until Friday evening. Even though the vote is over, it's still worth a read as he discusses these two excellent titles.

2. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

I am a fan of bolth games. I even own falloutI and the bos. I am going to buy the one for xbox. But I would have voted for d2 only because of the muti player that bnet gives us. It has keeped my passion for d2 going for such a long time.

3. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

I havent tried BoS.

I voted for Fallout2.

it by far is the best game ever made.

I have it still on my computer fully installed (Humonguous) :)

game is wonderful. I unfortunately read too many guides though as I played it after a fewe months, otherwise i would be even more happy with it. still, with guides its pimp.

d2 is awesome game.

SC is a better game than d2 but its full of KEKEEEKEKE NEWB crap and people trying to hack, as well getting me edgy from the rush of combat challenge, im too old for that after a few hours i have to go rest.

really though, d2, sc, fallout2 (put 1 with it), and a few commodore games, like one from ultima and Last Ninja series, and you have some of the best games without having to bash any of them all up there for happiness.

4. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

I've played Diablo II on and off since Summer 2000 and any game that can draw you back like that over the years has a great justification for the greatest game ever. Part of the draw is what Blizzard has done to keep the game fresh with patches ,an expansion pack, and ladder. The ability to change the goal of play as one progresses through the life of the game....questing, mfing, creating "perfect" builds, and dueling/pking....help to also keep players interested. I still remember the first day I bought the game and my friends and I took one hour turns playing 3 different characters in single player. I still play D2 to this day and I still think it is one of the best games ever.

Even with all that, I had to vote for Fallout 2. If you have never played this game buy it. Actually buy Fallout 1, play it, buy Fallout 2, and be surprise that like D2 it amazingly surpasses an already impressive game. You can probably buy both for less than $20 US. Do it. Do it.

Fallout 2 is a vastly different game from D2. Turn based combat. Quest oriented (D2 has quests but they are more excusses to kill monsters and get gear....they are shallow compared to the involvement of Fallout 2 quests). Thinking game (not what is the best combo of gear and skills only). Party of combatants each with different skills and weaknesses that you can kind of control, but not what you could call minions. Good vs. Evil in that you could be either. Hell, it should have won just because a car trunk holds more gear than a stash.

If you played Fallout 2, then played Knights of the Old Republic, you would see similarities in the game play and versitility of roles/outcomes. In fact, it should have went up against KOTOR and won for being just as good if not better and being done 7 years before.

Fallout 2 is in my opinion the greatest game ever for a pc, maybe the greatest game ever. The world that was created (more than just visually); the depth to the npcs' personallities, emotions, and actions based on the previous two; the scope of the quests, a party that accompanies you on your quests, storyline with linear and nonliear aspects; overall mood and dedication to maintaining it throughout the game; the sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious humor....it has it all and more of it than any other game.

PS: Ive played minimum 75% of the games that are in the running on all the platforms. No joke. I've played every game that has made it to round 3. Probably most of the people here have played at least 25% of all the games listed. Who hasnt played most/all of the arcade games? Just wanted to let you know my opinion is at least a little informed even if it is still an opinion.

Please be gentle.

5. Unmoved

Unmoved IncGamers Member

Well I don't really think it's fair to compare these two games, but that's the problem with having such broad categories as RPG/FPS/RTS or whatnot. They are far too different to pit against one another, but these things are never much of a consideration in all these "best game ever" competitions. IMO pitting Fallout 2 against Planescape:Torment(which was omitted entirely whereas Myst figured prominently :rant: ) would have made more sense.

These games expand so much on the computer games as a medium, not so much from a technical standpoint, but for the content and whatever artistic merit you can give them. This, to me, is the mark of a landmark game. If more developers took this approach (which I will freely admit is not the most lucrative), video "games" would not be so easily dismissed as a childish waste of time. I just hope people eventually realize that "adult content" shouldn't be reduced to the bloodfests devoid of any real substance. Computer games have so much potential that it just pains me to see the same thing over and over and over and over...... *sniff*

6. Erage

Erage IncGamers Member

I agree Torment was a great game. I feel it was the best use by Black Isle of all their games in which they used the Infinity engine. I think I probably enjoy Fallout 2 better, despite the bugginess of it. Though my D2 playtime surpasses either one by a long shot. Of course an expansion and game altering patches helped.

7. Remotecontrolax

Remotecontrolax IncGamers Member

Like the author, I voted for Fallout 2, but was for a long time on the edge of a knife. I think they're both amazing games, but in their own rights.
    P.S. I noticed a person or 2 talking briefly about the new Fallout game coming out for the Xbox and PS2. Just FYI, that game is made by the Black Isle team using the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance engine; it is not by the authors of the original 2 games, who went on to form Troika Games. I just wish more people would give Arcanum (the first game by Troika) a chance, and look past the bugs in it to see what a fantastic game it is (similarities to Fallout 1 and 2 can be found all throughout the game, so if you've played the Fallout games, you will immediately recognize that these guys are indeed the same team).

8. Unmoved

Unmoved IncGamers Member

I own Arcanum and got about 3/4 of the way through before I gave up on it for no real reason. I guess the setting and characters didn't really appeal to me, but maybe I should give it another chance. What irked me the most was the leveling system which seemed too constraining despite its intended open-endedness. Maybe it's just me but getting to the highest level before you're even halfway through the game seems kinda dumb.

9. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

I love Fallout 2... but having played through it a few times I feel that I've already done everything there is to do with it.

And yet, though I've been playing D2 longer, I'm STILL playing it.

Like Unmoved siad, i don't think it's quite fair to compare them. One is a post-apocalyptic RPG, and the other is a gothic action game with heavy RPG elements. Apples and oranges.

10. Deathwing

Deathwing Banned

Diablo 2 is not even a RPG. Can you choose to kill Cain and raze the Rogue Camp to the group? No. Can you choose to talk to Carver #129384 instead of rick-clicking on him until he's dead? Nope! Can you run screaming, up to Mephisto, going "GIMME ITAMS LOLOLOLOLO~~~" Yes!

There is no real role playing on SP and none at all on multiplayer modes (unless you count "GIMME ITAMS" as roleplaying a kleptomaniac serial killer).

Moving away from "why D2 sucks (they should have made it more like D1)" to "Why fallout 2 is the second best RPG ever (Baldurs Gate 2 is the best)", it has to be said that Fallout 2 is a RPG. You can decide what to do. Play D2 once and you've played it a million times. You just have a more shiny sword the millionth time, but with Fallout 2, you can play a different game anytime you want.

11. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

BTW, there is a random quest in the WorldMap in FallOut 2, which allows you to find an armour that mimics a rare armour in Diablo2.

I will vote for FallOut 2 though, the game is just simply amazing, the only downside is it is single player, but the dark humour and level of freedom is just amazing. Nothing is such satifying as whacking your Power Gloves into the enemy head and see him die in an er... 'interesting' way. May be you like to pick up some girls, and earn you a 'Gigolo' title, or shoot them and get yourself an evil karma. Oh yeah lets not forget the famous Iguana-on-a-stick :) and dont let Mike Tyson bite off your ear.

But some times you just dont feel like playing it. Thats where D2 comes in, no need to think, just kill and kill and let out your build-up-aggression :) and jump around like mad when you saw a green sacred/lacquered armour on floor.

12. Awesome

Awesome IncGamers Member

I dont think you can compare the two games.
    As Deathwing said, Diablo 2 is not a sense in any sense of the world.
    You are not role-playing a character, nor do you interact with the world(other than right clicking), nor will any choices you make have much impact on the game (other than some shiny items dropping).
    It simply has RPG aspects, such as levelling and stat/skill points as well as quests.
    Its an Action RPG, thus is very hard to compare to Fallout 2 which is a true RPG.

Diablo 2, while great to load up and play any time, due to its simplicity, cannot hold its ground against a classic RPG such as Fallout2 or any of the afore mentined RPGS (Planescape: Torment, Arcanum (which I loved to death. Not much of a challenge combat wise, but a great story and a really joy to play through, sadly it didn't really have enough to have me playing it again after I completed it)).

If anyone here has not play Fallout 2, get it now. If anyone has played Fallout 2, and has not played Arcanum or Planescape: Torment, I urge you to get them now too. Great RPGs such as this dont deserve to collect dust on store shelves while D2 sells by the truckload.

(Note : I might sound a bit anti-D2, but in truth I love the game. Its kept me coming back for so long, and so it can't be a bad game, however its just a different game, and perhaps a classic in its own right, but for different reasons).

13. Havoc Jack

Havoc Jack IncGamers Member

Well, it's good to know that other people share my opinion.

Before I say anything else, I'd like to apologise for the incoherency of the article and the unfunnyness of the jokes. I wrote it under what I consider mind altering circumstances, and it shows.

I never played Baldur's Gate II very much. I really don't know why, except that the game had a habit of locking up on me, and the fact that I had to change CDs every two minutes. I might go back and play it through another day, but who knows. On the other hand, it might have something to do with my play style. I have gone through Icewind Dale enough times to make a less hardy man sick.

I made it all the way through Arcanum, but that's it. Playing the game, doing all the strange stuff, and using words like "Indisputably" in normal conversations is a lot of fun. It definetly has role playing aspects, and enough outside the main quest give a good replay value. The problem is, it doesn't feel fun. It's like eating cold pizza and drinking warm soda; still good, but really not that great. Some games are fun to play and some aren't. I really can't define it better than that.

I played Fallout Tactics through to the 18th mission, I think. Then, my computer had to be reformatted, so all I could save was the savegame. Seeing as I had installed it off of my brother's disks, and that he lives several hours away, I havn't finished it yet. Fallout Tactics is very much a great game, but for different reasons than the other Fallout games. It's a role playing game like Diablo II is; you can't affect the plot, (except in some trivial circumstances), but you gain in levels and skills. It has the same sort of mood as Fallout II, but really to no great depth at all. The real strength lies in the tactics of the game (thus the name, I suppose). I felt a real sense of accomplishment in that game whenever I was able to kill an enemy without taking damage, whenever a building that I had mentally marked as enemy territory became MY territory. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna have to get it again, that brother just borrowed my copy of Fallout II because he felt like playing through it for the nth time... (mumbled expletives).

Umm... where was I? Ok, I never played Planescape: Torment or Knights of the Old Republic (damn this limited budget). I'm looking forward to the new Fallout game, but with the proverbial grain of salt.

Before I go do something useful (fat chance) I'd like to point out that Fallout II lost in the extra life round to Counterstrike, by a very slim margin. Although I'm appreciative for all that counterstrike has done for the FPS genre, I'm annoyed that they had to come in and steal the extra life round. If they would have just logged in and voted against Unreal Tournament, then they could go onto the next round and get trashed by half life. On the other hand, if Fallout II won, it'd still get beaten by Diablo II. I have faith in the axiom "History repeats itself".

14. SSH83

SSH83 IncGamers Member

Zzzz... I don't know why you wrote an entire article comparing the cinematic and setting of the two, but if those are the most important aspects to games for you, then I guess there's nothing wrong with it. Though if I was writing such an article, I would've compared the game mechanics and the game progression style. Maybe even dipping to the differences in the complexity and the maturity overall.

15. Remotecontrolax

Remotecontrolax IncGamers Member

I find it interesting that you all got bored with Arcanum quickly. I don't dare count how many crazy characters I made, and how many infinite more I thought of but didn't make. I love the game and find nearly everything about it phenomenal (except the irritating bugs, of course). Sadly, I never did manage to finish it.. should I ever actually have some free time (bah, schoolwork), I'll have to do that.. I got extremely close with one character, but didn't have the blasted device to finish the boss with; the other main reason was the massive amount of characters I made and played an ample portion of the game with. Also, I didn't find that I got to level 50 halfway through the game, but more like 4/5 or so through it. Heh, like Havoc Jack, I thoroughly enjoyed the, for lack of a better word that I can think of, charming and very stylized dialogue. Fantabulous! Spectacular!
    I never played Baldur's Gate, but tried and played though a decent amount of Icewind Dale... but I found the rules far too constrictive, and, overall, the game seemed rather bland. Perhaps I'm just somewhat of an adrenaline junky (frenzy barb..mmm...). Not liking that game and not being a huge star wars fan, I simply don't feel like trying KOTOR. And as for Planescape.. I just never really heard of it.

16. ViewSonix

ViewSonix IncGamers Member

Fallout, ah the memories....

I can't agree with the author more. Both are great games, both are responsible for much lost sleep and lost work. I actually feel sorry for people that haven't played Fallout 2, and always mention it when they are looking for something new to get. But last I heard, Fallout 3 is no more....anyone hear different?