Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guest Article: Am I Evil?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Flux, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Guest Article: Am I Evil?

http://diabloii.net/columnists/a-am-evil.shtml

This guest article by ODB ponders that eternal question, as he wonders why an otherwise nice man becomes such a vicious beast once the D2 action is getting hot and heavy? You may perhaps see some of yourself in this one.

2. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

I don't think this guy really has a grip what evil really means.

3. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Well, everyone has their own interpretation of "evil", but I get the drift that he's making at.

Sometimes, regardless of your morals in real life, you kind of let things slip when you're sitting behind a computer screen with a keyboard and mouse. For some reason, even though you would like to be a "nice guy", the inner child within impulses you to do certain things you wouldn't be proud of.

Sure I give out items in public games but at the same time, I'm madly clicking around Baal just life everyone else when he's about to die. And if someone dies right before Baal falls, I'll give a little chuckle to myself. And once in a while when I completely dominate another player who has been quite annoying, I don't suppress my urge to gloat a little.

It's little things like these that I think everyone has done sometime or another. Maybe some people do it more then others. Maybe some people actually don't, though I'm very doubtful. But you cannot deny that you have never THOUGHT about doing things like this.

I guess it's just human nature and it can't be helped.

4. Lord Chaos

PK'ing your wife in a game isn't "evil", picking up a balrogs skin in a public game isn't "evil.

At most I'd classify it as being a little "nasty", but thats tops.

5. Tenka

Tenka IncGamers Member

I understand and can relate to this article.. the thing to understand that the game is another world without rules or consequences (well.. relaxed rules and consequences compared to real life). People in real life dont usually steal, kill hate, lie without a really good reason because they know that there will be consequences for their actions.

In D2 we can do all those things and get away with it.. we dont just do it because we can, we do it becausewe want to. We ARE evil... the game just shows our true selves by removing consequence from the equation (i.e. What we WOULD do if we COULD).

This is my opinion ... maybe im way off, im not a psychologist or anything like that, I just notice these things and it appears the author of the article noticed it too.

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I myself can't relate to 99% of this article. Maybe it's because I've never been a part of the public game scene. I learned to 'play nice' from the very beginning -- most of the people I've played with over the years are in their late 20's - early 30's. None of those people acted evil according to the author's definition, especially when it comes to sharing drops. My motto has always been 'Need Before Greed'. Sharing the wealth rather than hoarding it all usually ends up benefiting me in a positive way in the end anyway.

Have I ever chortled a bit when I see another guy in my game die repeatedly? Sure. Of course, I've been in the position of being the guy getting pwned like a redheaded stepchild myself plenty of times -- so there is empathy in my giggling. It's usually just relief that it isn't me getting my butt handed to me for a change. :p

7. creepcolony

creepcolony IncGamers Member

this guy is stupid to call everyone evil. he talks like everyone on bnet acts like him. i don't laught at people who get popped. and to call people who "get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when YOU are the one who snatched that gold balrog skin in a public Diablo run" evil is like calling a team that beat another team in basketball evil.

8. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

Am I eeeeevil?

Yes I am.

Am I eeeeevil?

I am man [yes I am]!

9. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Dude get a life! I know I'm not supposed to flame on others in the foriums but that comment makes me think that you have no idea what a GAME is. If this is the only response you have to this article do us a favor; Put away your older brothers Misfits and Samhain tapes, turn off your computer, dare to face the world without the Manson make-up and stay off the forums!

10. Anidem

Anidem Banned

If you think putting the PK on your wife is funny check this out. About 6 years ago me and my wife, then fiancee, were enjoying a vacation in Florida when a similiar evil crept over me, However, unlike Diablo2 triggering the eruption for ODB it was the Go-Kart track that sent my soul afowl.
    With about five laps to go I was lapping my much slower wife when for no particular reason the giddyness on get upon pulling a good punk on someone took over and I WALLED MY WIFE! I buried her hard, up and over a 3-high stack of tires.
    As the crew struccled to untangle the tires I was greated by a extended chain of profanaties every time I passed. Unfortunatly this made me laugh even harder, and by the time I got out of the locker room I was ready for her to throw her ring at me and it was all I could do to badly suppress the laughter and companion tears.
    I feel your inner evil.

11. Lord Chaos

What the freaking hell are you talking about?...this IS a game, what he is talking about is a PLAYERS behavior in a game and calling it "evil" and then using it to show that we all have "evil" in us.

Maybe you'll start to learn about stuff like that once you turn 15.

12. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

An article that differs from most of the guest articles, and that's great. It's a good one as well. But I'm not sure this is evil you're describing.
    As I see it laughing when some spamming kid dies isn't evil - it's human. PK:ing your wife isn't evil either.
    I used to hate amazons, since everyone had one in 1.09. And in cow games I from time to time tried to build bone prisons around amazons together with a pack of cows. Maybe this is my dark side, but it aint evil.
    What is evil then? Well, that's a philosophical question. I'd say that what is good and what is bad differs with the point of view. So does what is evil and what is not evil.
    Maybe evil is using others for your own sake. That's the closest definition I can give. But there's a better word for that sort of behaviour: egoism.

Now look what you did! Had me write all this. Just because of that article. :)
    But making people think is a good sign. Therefore the article is good.

13. Lord Chaos

I think (as I said earlier) its more like experimenting with your more "darker" treats in safe environments...its not like your pushing old grannies out in front of trucks.

14. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Sigh, I know that! and if you knew that why was your only response;
    "I don't think this guy knows what evil really is." If you understood the underlying subtext of the story? What am I to think your point of view was with that singular comment? It is not my fault you were unable to make a clear statement.

And as for that 15 crack read the post after I blasted you. Yeah that one there about my wife and our vacation. Or was the challenge of a multi-paragraph script too challenging? What is it about the child ego that makes them think everyone is under 16 but themselves on the realms?

And while I'm at it, all this talk about what qualifies as evil. What isn't good is evil and vice versa. That is the nature of Diametric opposition, the is no base neutral in moraes. "You do or you don't there is no try" spoken by we-all-know-who is a perfect example of Diametric opposition. The Idea of neutrality
    is a non-stance/opinion you can only not make for so long. eventually all thing require a choice.

15. Lord Chaos

It was a simple jab at his last line. The rest of the article really doesn't need much commenting, especially "evil lurks in the heart of men because we laugh at people in a game or PK our wife", which is nonesense.

Of course there's the underlying that we all have the ability and potential to do truly evil acts, and we can all be the "other guy" that we don't like...but all in all the article draws on some poor examples.

EDIT: Personal insult edited out...while you may have drawn "first blood", I am going to simmer now and back off. But please do try next time to make a point without trying your hardest to also insult the poster, that would be much appreciated.

16. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Diametric opposition: Great for theological debates. Useless when applied to the real world and the games we play. In real life, nothing is ever simply black or white.

Methinks you are simply attempting to save face after blasting Lord Chaos for no good reason. His original statement is as valid as any in this thread.

17. Anidem

Anidem Banned

While this statement hits the nail on the head in term of understanding the story, it also show why these evil/good debates tend to get out of hand.

We ARE evil...is a misnomer. Evil is not a verb, is is a catagory for which peoples actions are sorted into. Nobody is inhererntly evil or good, we are judged by our behaviors, be they good or evil, within our group moraes and individual morales.

Actually i believe Danzigs origional lyric was;

Am I behaving in a morally dissonant manner for which other will view and determine to be socially unacceptable?
    Yes I am.

But Alas, It just didn't kick wit da beat! :p

18. Anidem

Anidem Banned

I'll appologise for spazzing out a bit there. it sounded more funny and jabbing in my head at first but somehow got twisted. I reaaly didn't want a prolong insult session. I appologize.

19. Lord Chaos

Actually, it doesn't quite hit the nail of the head...there is *ONE* very important thing missing, and that is that games also removes the real damaged caused...while sure, its fun to blast every man, woman and child in Fallout, its because its fun in a GAME, because there's no damage to anyone...that people do that in a game doesn't show that they want to hurt people for real or mow everyone down if they had the oppertunity, simply because you all of a sudden does real damage to people. (yes, there is the damage of time lost, frustrations and other things...but thats far down the scale)

20. Anidem

Anidem Banned

WHAT JUST HAPPENED? I got an error message replying to a post and now my reply and the post i was refering to are gone?