Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guaridan #9: PatienceII

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nightfish, May 1, 2005.

1. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Guaridan #9: PatienceII

Well it's been a while since I got to post one of these threads but this one is gonna be good. At the moment I'm trying to expand my sept of guardians to the point where I have one ribcracker guardian of each class. And this is my ribcracker melee sorc. :) She's actually my second try at this, the first one met an untimely end when I got impatient and thought I could kill OKs without getting owned by IM. I couldn't. >_<

Anyway, here's her stats and gear and then some thoughts on the build I used. You'll notice that she differs from your average enchantress quite a bit.

Stats:

PatienceII - level 80

Strength: 65
    Dexterity: 25
    Vitality: 285
    Energy: 100

Life: 902
    Mana: 335

Defence: 9115
    AR: 7581
    Damage: 3110-4306

Resistances: 75/60/75/42

Skills:

Warmth: 20
    Firemastery: 20
    Shiver Armour: 20
    Telekinesis: 17 *
    Energy Shield: 7

* to be maxed if she were to level further

and 1 in all prereqs. None in static field, none in enchant.

Gear

Weapon 1: Upd' 325% ED Ribcracker
    Weapon 2 / Shield: Demon Limb / The Ward (for no real reason)
    Helm: Darksight Helm
    Armour: Gloom Archon Plate
    Belt: String of Ears
    Gloves: LoH
    Rings: Angelic
    Ammy: Angelic
    Boots: Gore Rider

Inventory is crammed full of charms. And by full I mean full. :D

I guess it's pretty obvious what most things are for: Ribcracker provides damage & CB, Demon Limb has level 23 Enchant, Gloom takes defence to good levels with the ribcracker bonus & Shiver armour. SoE for leech & PDR, Angelic Jewelry so I can actually hit things and gore rider for more CB & DS.

But the most important item for this build was the Darksight Helm. Yes, you heard correctly. And more specificly, the 30 level 5 Cloak of Shadows charges on the helm are the one thing that take this sorc from "barely viable" to "Holy Crap!". If you've played an assassin you know how powerful CoS is and it's even more powerful on a fragile sorc with now crowd control of her own. I didn't use the helm on my first try and really struggled through the game until I got owned leveling my sorc at NM Baal. Doing some MF runs with my necro this baby dropped (again, already had 5) and I finally noticed that this is just what I need. And the second sorc was a breeze to play except for a few situations. More on that later.

Merc

I use a Might merc for this one. Yes, might. The ribcracker has excellent base damage and might fits that just perfectly. He uses a Reaper's Toll, Shaftstop and either Vamp Gaze or Guillaume's Face, depending on what I need.

Thoughts

Truth to tell, when I first started this lady, or rather, her predecessor, I thought she might make it through hell but I was convinced that it would take ages and be a pain in the ass to play. And it was on the first try. But with cloak of shadows it was actually quite easy.

Not actually getting enchant safes me a lot of skill points which allows me to play this a truly tri-elemental sorc. Shiver armour provides good defence and the cold effect lasts for 5 seconds in hell which is really helpful. Mana Shield is pretty damn good, too. At first glance you might think it's not that useful because I only have 7 points in there but that's still about 50% of the damage that gets absorbed by mana and with maxed warmth mana comes back fast.

General strategy was to just teleport / run into bigger mobs of enemies and cast cloak of shadows. By the time it ran out the remaining monsters were no big deal anymore. Gloom also helped out against ranged attackers like gloams or archers.

The most dangerous area was actually the chaos sanctuary since it was really crawling with OKs and my merc went down all the time. A couple bosses in various acts spawned with nasty mods, too, but nothing really unsurmountable. The ancients were extremely anti-climactic, got them on the first spawn with barely half of my potions used. Mods were really lucky, just one extra strong and that guy wasn't immune to fire. CB really owns those guys hard.

Hm, what else? Ah, yes, she did find a couple nice items for me: A stone crusher and a couple decent runes. Mal from the Hellforge and a Lem from the crystalline passage. Also 2 dols from the hell council. She's probably my rune-luckiest char ever.

Well, that's it, thanks for reading. :D I usually turn my more successful chars into guides but I think I might pass on this one since she seems to be too out of the ordinary. You might want to keep the darksight helm in mind, though, just in case you ever have a char that is almost viable but lacks crowd control. It worked even better than the delirium I had on my merc at first.

Edit:
    Credits:

As always, this one was played using RTB's FE Mod/Fix/Patch, so thanks to him for making that possible. Also, thanks once more to Sam for trading me the ribcracker.

2. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Congrats on Guardianing a character wearing the Darksight Helm :thumbsup:

That's one uber achievement :lol:

omgh4x!? ;)

3. Nightfish

Well, I'm hoping that people will look at darksight helm with different eyes now. I am not exaggerating when I say this takes the build from "very hard but doable" to "doable and actually fun to play". :)

OMG 29% ED J00L!

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

your 9th guardian ehh? not too bad i guess. :p
    Anyway, very odd setup. an enchantress with no points in enchant or static field (can i ask why not?) and a 7 point energy shield.
    But hey, you can make her guardian, so well done! :clap:
    *pours beer for NF at the EMB*

5. Nightfish

Actually I think this is the easiest way you can make a 2h enchantress guardian. :) Why none in Static? Well, I had planned for 100% Crushing blow (ribcracker, guillaume's, gore rider) so I really wouldn't need static. Especially since I had +0 to all skills. I had to ditch guillaume's but 65% CB were still more than enough.

The 7 in ES were just perfect, too. Even with just 55% damage absorbed by mana she would still always run out of mana before running out of life. The only difference to a true ES sorc is that the ES sorc loses all of her mana before she starts losing life while mine drains life and mana at the same time. On the whole I find this way of doing it more efficient.

6. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Using darksight helm on a weird build, succeed and complete HC Hell... makes one jealous really ^^ Congratulations, great idea and well finished.

7. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Ninth(!!!) Guardian!

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I second that! It's cool how 1.10 has made some oddball items viable, if you are creative enough to realise it. Go go Nightfish:)

9. Nightfish

Thanks for your replies guys. :) I'm glad that I can still somewhat surprise people with weird builds / items after all this time. :D

10. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Nice accomplishment there, NF! :worship:

11. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

olololool p00r nub!!!11one

;)

No, seriously, I have to admire your patience :cool: I get so easily frustrated with a character who's unable to hit multiple targets with one attack. And even with normal attack this time. And HC. Well, I have matted a Daggerzon but she was much faster hitter (7/6 fpa) than your Sorc (11 fpa?).

12. Nightfish

Well, I may be at 11 FPA, but my sorc only needs to swing once or twice to kill in hell. If you put the normal attack on your RMB you can just hold it down to have her chase down and attack enemies one by one. I wouldn't use a char like that as my main MFer but she's not quite as slow as you'd think. I am pretty sure that a concentrate barb could not keep up, for example.

13. Gh0stfac3

Gh0stfac3 IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian :thumbsup:

14. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

9 Guardians... Holy crap. I have yet to get a HC character through NM :) Nice achievement.

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

A Ribcracker septavirate? Cool. :clap:

Oh my, you have three times as many Guardians as I do!

I sincerely doubt she was 'barely viable' without that helm, though! :lol:

I have always thought that the best level of Energy Shield/TK would be one where the mana and the life gets depleted roughly at the same time.

Hmm...interesting choices of items. Not that I know what some of them do, though, as I haven´t seen them yet.

Sorcies are naturally fast with staves, polearms and 2h-axes.
    I´ve had plans for a 2h-Enchantress for a while now. Do you have any hot tips for me? I will play untwinked, 'full clear once', like always. I can mimic the Darksight Helm with a 'Nadir'. It even has a higher level CoS...

Now go make something different (different for you, that is) for a change... Is there any chance I might be able to convince you to join the new 'Rare Pleasures' tournament? :D

16. Nightfish

Ya. :) What can I say, Duggy has his lenymos, I have my Ribcracker.

Well, I play by different rules so it's only natural that I get more guardians. ;)

Well, maybe she might have made it. But it was definetly a *huge* difference. Probably larger than naked fishymancer vs what my fish wears right now for MFing.

Yeah, same here. Beyond a certain point it was just not worth it to add more ot ES.

Actually the items are pretty standard for a fishy char. They're all relatively cheap but very effective for their "cost". Cost being the time it took me to find them. And of course none of them have a level requirement beyond 60-something.

Well, nadir is a lot worse than darksight helm but I suppose you'll have to make do with what you have. One problem is that you will need a tremendous amount of money to repair the charges. Another is that CoS is actually worse with a longer duration if new enemies enter the area so you will need to be very careful where you go until you can cast again. Other than that you just need to be very careful. Don't get the frozen armour if you aren't going to have some twinked gear since a little defence is just as good as no defence at all. Even my ~10k was too little to make a really good difference.

I think with the rules you're imposing on yourself you will need a good amount of luck to make it, though.

Sorry but I don't believe in HC without the FE Mod. The bug totally takes the flow out of the game and makes playing a chore rather than a joy. Of course the mod excludes me from the joys of trading, giveways and tournaments but the alternative to not having the mod is quitting the game until an official patch comes around.

17. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

NF, I have always admired your knowledge.

But the Darksight Helm...

I went from fan to fanboy.

Now, I want your autograph.

-GG

18. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I am not so sure. I am a master when it comes to separating out enemies using running and Teleport (I also enjoy doing it, in order to make progress with a weak character possible). I can even do it against skeleton archers...

I will probably use another helm most of the time, and resort to Nadir only when I enter stairs trap prone areas and other small and dangerous places (like Stony Tomb and Fangskin´s lair).

Yep, it´s important to cast it at the right time. Best is to take a couple of steps towards where the enemies are coming from, cast it, and pull back. I have no illusions of being able to kill an entire pack before the duration runs out, so a longer duration is a good thing (-> fewer recastings). If the skill still isn´t "ready" when the monsters are dead, there are nearly always items to collect...

Shiver Armor is pretty useful even with one point (for the chilling). I will only pump it further if I choose a Defiance merc.

Does this mod make the FE bosses deal their death explosion damage only when they die? If so, I may want to try it.

I admit it stinks when it comes to Ancients, but other than that, I don´t think the unmodded game is that bad. Very few bosses are capable of dealing lethal damage before they are supposed to, and I find it pretty easy to spot the dangerous ones (in short: all the ones where some sort of LE bolts are involved). I do not think it´s a chore to check every boss either. I would do that with a meleer anyway, to decide on tactics (maybe a gear switch) and to get a feel for how dangerous it´s going to be.

19. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Congratz to your Ribby Guardian Mr Fish :clap:

DX

20. Nightfish

Thanks Goober & DX. :)

Now on to more lengthy things:

Not it doesn't. That would be a true bugfix which seems to be not that easy to do. The mod simply changes the amount of damage they deal with their FE. It's more like a workaround than a true bugfix but it does the trick for me.

I think it's bad enough. Of course you can see the LE bolts. But maybe you cannot see the FE boss. Hello maggot lair. That's where my first HC sorc still lies in her blood. And I don't want to take a few k damage just because the boss feels like dealing it right now. Imo it's no fun at all to play a melee character if you need to run like a little girl and have your merc handle things every time you see an FE boss.

The ancients are just extra bad because they can kill you no matter how much life, resistances and PDR you have. But I'd think that all my melee chars with less than 1k life would bite the dust after one helping of non-ancient FE as well.

Yes, then I guess it's okay for you, but I don't want to check every boss. As I said, that destroys the flow of the game for me. You probably don't mind since you take the flow out of it by choice. I can see most of the relevant things without trying to find the boss in the pack of minions: Auras, Curses, gloam's lightning, arrows flying towards me, etc, all that is easy to see. For a similar reason I have never had any problems with gloams. I know where they spawn, and I know what their attack looks like so I can dodge it. And of course the gloams attacks don't do nearly as much damage, don't think I ever lost any HC chars to that.

Bottom line is that I feel the modded game is closer to how things should be. With the bug playing D2 in HC feels like work rather than fun.

No, it's not 100% perfect, but since it is doubtful that blizzard will fix things for SP in the near future I'll take what I can get. This slavish "if blizzard didn't put it in the game it's bad, if blizzard put it there it's good" isn't really my piece of pie. Also "if they don't fix it, it's okay" doesn't work for me. There are probably lots of things they don't fix because they don't have the time or because they don't have a very big impact on the game. Synergy bugs, for example. They don't really hurt anyone and spending time and money to fix those wouldn't really make too much sense. Also you can just chose not to use them if you don't like them. And why would you need a fix for the FE bug in SP if you can just back up your character? I'm pretty sure the folks at blizzard would be thinking among those lines.

Anyway, I'll stop now. I hadn't really intended to start this mod debate again. Imo everyone should play the way they like and not have any opinions forced on them. For me the game is still plenty challenging without the FE bug, but if anyone choses to look down on me for using the mod that's okay.