Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian TheGeneral*

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheRebel22, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 IncGamers Member

Guardian TheGeneral*

**His name was SpearBarbQin (like, barb-b-q with a spear? Roasting monsters? Hehe it was a spur of the moment decision as I was originally going to be a spear-barb), but I renamed him after Baal.

[​IMG]

However, GRISU hooked me up with the FULL IK-Set. Most of the props for this accomplishment have to go to him for giving me all of my gear. Without that this probably wouldn't have happened.

This is my first ever Single-Player Guardian, and I did it on HC which makes it even more special to me. I've also never played Barbarians much before, so a lot of credit goes to everyone on this forum and the barb forum for giving me advice on how to play. Big ups to Nightfish for his Beserker Guide especially. This was a WW-barb, but his emphasis of War Cry really inspired me to utilize that skill as well – which turned out to be a great benefit.

Enough with all the mushy stuff, here's how it went down:

Stats
    Stength: 238
    Dexterity: 25
    Vitality: 237
    Energy: 10

W/ gear

Strength: 283
    Dexterity: 62
    Vitality: 237
    Energy: 12

I had 3400 life, UNTIL I killled baal, was looking at this circlet, which happens to be SWEET (+2 druid skills, 20fcr) so I had to drop two grand charms, I go to town, stash it, come back down, and while picking up my charm, it takes me to the cinematic screen. So I just lost 70hp worth of charms and 13resist all. I was SO pissed.

Gear

Armor: Immortal King's Soul Cage
    Helm: Immortal King's Will
    Weapon: Immortal King's Stone Crusher
    Gloves: Immortal King's Forge
    Belt: Immortal King's Detail
    Boots: Immortal King's Pillar

Amulet: Highlord's Wrath (also given by Grisu)

Ring: Ravenfrost (179/15 – self-found)
    Ring: Wraith Turn (Crafted caster ring, lol, 10% fcr, 6% ll, +2energy, +20mana, +6 resist all)
    (For most of the game I used angelic ring/ammy until hell a3).

My merc used:

Armor: Upp'ed Duriels Shell.
    Helm: Tal Rasha's Mask
    Weapon: Thresher Infinity (499max dmg.)
    [​IMG]

Skills

Warcries: prereq's
    20 Battle Orders
    9 War Cry

Combat Masteries: 20 Mace Mastery
    1 each for Increased Speed, Increased Stamina
    2 each for Iron Skin, Natural Resistance

Combat Skills: prereq's
    20 Whirlwind (Main skill)
    11 Beserk

Gameplay

My game play was very well.. odd.. I did a lot of different things and had many different ideas about how to play this build. First I was going to build a spear-barb. Then, I was going to build an Gold-Find Barb. For most of the game I used whatever IK-set gear I could and a Hone Sundan with 2 shaels and an amn in it. My merc had on Kelpie Snare and some topaz-socketed breast plate/great helm until level 76. I used Howl and Taunt A LOT throughout NM, but once I got to wear the full IK-set I respecced to the skills I have now and gave him the Hone Sundan. However, I soon made the switch to Insight once I found a 4os Thresher (elite polearm). THIS was one of the best moves I made for this character. At first I was just making it for my necro, and since it did 500dmg I would use until my necro could get high enough. Well, it turned out this was priceless. I can't tell you how many times the meditation aura saved me when I was mana-burned or fighting unleachables. It basically made for infinite-ww/beserk no matter the circumstances. That means I could do 30 super short, super fast WW's on hell meph at p7 and get the kill without thinking about mana. That also means that when I got mana-burned I could wait 1 second, or instantly be able to cast War Cry, stun the enemies for 4 seconds, regain a lot of my mana, WW and if I could leech, have a full bulb again just like that.

My game-plan for all battles was basically this: Run up, WW. If there's no problem, just kill them. If there is a problem or I thought it might be dangerous to WW through packs, War Cry became my savior. I guarantee that I would have died if I hadn't invested points in War Cry, I cannot emphasize the importance of that skill in my success. And, with Insight, I could War Cry as many times as I wanted despite it's steep mana cost. So, I run up, got mana-burned 'oh ****!!', run away for a sec, run back next to merc and War Cry, stun, Hit hit hit with Beserk, Stun, Hit hit hit, Stun, Stun Stun. A tactic that I really liked doing that helped control the pack was: Run up to the first monster, see others coming that might be dangerous, SPAM War Cry and as they all get close enough, the whole pack that was spread out, they're all stunned. Now I can WW through them, Stun again. WW/Stun/WW/Stun. After 2 or 3 Whirls everything except bosses was dead, so this worked great.

Once I got into Hell I did a lot of pit-runs and countess runs which didn't net me anything. Then I powered through act1-3 to get to Meph/Council. On my 3rd council run I spotted this baby:

[​IMG]

My first ever Jah!! That's the highest rune I've ever found. Then I went on a spree and probably did 100 Hell Meph runs at p5/p7. I netted a lot of decent uniques, like the Ravenfrost, and what I thought was a great find at the time: Ormus's Robes. It had 15%cold, 14%light which to me was soo awesome, and it had a cold skill synergy - ice bolt for Frozen Orb. I was like hell yeah!! Apparently, it ain't worth jack. *angry* lol

Anyways, I said today I wanted to Guardian this dude and get it over with. I decided not to risk anything and did a4/a5 on p1. a4 and diablo were cake. I think I killed Diablo in 4 WW's. a5 was cake up until the Frozen River. First spawn were gloams, which I thought 'let's see if we can get a new spawn, nah, I can take 'em, let's do it!' 3 WW's in to fighting these gloams/succubus things I got amped/mass lightning'd and reduced to 500hp, I probably would have died by the end of the whirl, but I s&e very quickly with my heart pounding. Respawn was easy, ancients were easy, in WSK gloams, respawn, owning up until somehow this pack of succubi and those big desert things with like 4 arms (I can't remember name) somehow reduce me to super-low life so I s&e. Minions were cake, spammed war cry, took out lister, then took em out 1 by 1 with the rest stunned. WAR CRY OWNS.

Conclusion

I definitely enjoyed playing this character, and learned a lot about playing D2 in this experience. I realized early on that I really never knew how to fully play and utilize all the resources available to me when I was playing on Bnet. With SPHC, I had to gut out every inch of the way with everything I had. That meant going slow a lot of the time until I got accustomed to what I could do, and what was really dangerous.

Thank you especially to Grisu for helping me out with the gear, and everyone else on here that has given me advice. Even people that haven't given any advice to anyone, just this whole forum makes SP a lot better, imo. It's like having people to play with, even though you're playing by yourself.

2. wielanja

wielanja IncGamers Member

Re: Guardian TheGeneral*

Congratulations on the Guardian! I have full IK set sitting around and still can't muster up the motivation to make a Barb w/ it. What are your future plans? More guardians? Some sc action?

3. TheRebel22

Well, I like trading so I made a softcore necro.. however, I'll still play a hc character every now and then I assume. I really enjoy playing hardcore. It's so exhilarating.

Dude, make that barb. Have you ever played barbs before? I hadn't. IK-set was a lot more powerful than I thought it would be. I figured I'd be killing slow in hell, because you read about set-ups and people are doing like 15k damage. Well, I definitely didn't kill slow. In fact, hell a5 p1 I was one-hitting everything up into WSK. Barbs are a real fun experience because you're so powerful, but you have to be careful. Their attacks make you vulnerable (WW through enemies, you could die w/o being able to pot. zerk = no defense. Frenzy = no shield). You have to play smart and use your war cries. I never really used war cries before, but using them makes things a lot easier and more fun. It worked so well, I might looking in to using a lot more curses on my necro, I've never used many besides amp/lower resist, but I assume they're somewhat like war cries.

4. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Congrats on your first SP Guardian!

Glad to see the IK stuff being finally put to good use...I still want to make that Titan Immortal Queen some day... :rolleyes:

Good to see that War Cry supported your playing style! You really learn to appreciate all those little crowd control skills in SP (esp. untwinked...Conversion anyone?).

Good write-up and congrats on the Jah! And since nobody else said it yet: GIEB! :D

Hope you have a lot of fun MFing with your barb and playing SC (if you want to trade, SC really is the better option...). Good luck! :wave:

5. TheRebel22

Updated this guy with new gear, once again, thanks to GRISU!!

I found the Lo myself, but the 5os phase blade, and others were from him.

I'm now wearing:

Arreats Face (40%ED jool)
    Upp'd Duriels Shell
    Grief PB +366
    Stormshield
    LoH
    String of Ears
    Gore Riders

Highlords Wrath
    Ravenfrost
    I forget my second ring.. lol.

I don't have my regular computer right now, it's in the shop getting cleaned up/fixed, but when I get it back I'll post screen shots of the new outfit.

This upgrade is a serious upgrade, lol. It makes everything 500% easier. I can do Baal runs now easily. Trav runs are a joke on p3. I run pits on p7 and when I get my comp back I think I'm going to start doing LK on p7, it was a joke on p5 when I ran it a couple times before. I know everyone says WW should use 2 weapons or 2h weapon, but I really like the SS/Grief combo. I have plenty of killing power, and the SS provides so much more safety with the block if I have to Beserk, the massive defense boost, resists, and most importantly the 35% DR. My life dropped down to around 2500 and I was real worried, but I don't think the bulb has ever gone below 2k so far.

This guy is now a BEAST!!

6. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian!

Where did you get the Infinity?

7. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Congrats! :thumbup:

I might be mistaken but only hard points will work as synergies. (or this is only true with +all/tree skills?)

8. jdkerr

jdkerr IncGamers Member

That is precisely the realization he came to and was bemoaning when he said, "I was like hell yeah!! Apparently, it ain't worth jack. *angry* lol"

9. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

He's using the hax mod I made. It changes Infinity to RalTalTirSol and Insight to BerMalBerIst........I'm really starting to rethink that last part....also every third trav run drops a Jah rune. :badteeth:

What are you going to do with the Jah?

10. TheRebel22

bahahahah very true. Bro, that program worked out great!! lol I'm waiting for a Jah to appear for Enigma for my Ber, ain't trading it or using it any other way. I'm starting to run LK now, just figured out the chests deal, but It's kind of slow with a barb, so I'm building up a sorc for that.