Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian Nortrom - The Explosionmancer for Travincal run

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by XyleneCyanol, Jul 12, 2015.

1. XyleneCyanol

XyleneCyanol IncGamers Member

I'm relatively new here :) This is just a thread sharing my recent experience on hunting runes in Travincal using average gears. This is not a build, as I did not invent this build. This is not a guide, as many people here are more experienced and skillful than I am. Just to share my experience, and any comments, suggestions and critics for improvement are welcome!!!

Motivation:

It all started when I decided to play D2 from scratch recently. I used a MeteOrb Sorc to finish the game, and respec her into Blizzard Sorc to run Meph and Pindle. I got many awesome uniques and sets, but high runes seemed to evade me. Then, for obvious reasons, I dediced to run Travincal. I didn't have Inifinity, I didn't have Fanthom, not even HOTO, I didn't have the safety gear CtA either. Then, you pretty much guess it, my Blizzard Sorc was not very competent, and it was not even safe for her to run Travincal. It is a kind of a paradox where you need high runes to get high runes ...

Later on, during her Meph run, a +3 Bone Spear grim wand dropped, and it reminded me that a Bonemancer with maxed Corpse Explosion should be able to do the job in Travincal. So I built an Explosionmancer which I modified from mouseman's original build here. Indeed, this man rocks at p1 and is also decent at p3. All the gears here can be easily obtained from Hell Meph and NM Andariel. I think there are other cheap builds available for Travincal run (for example, I have a Zealot using Redeemer + Duress that can run Trav at p5), but I enjoy this one the most. Even if I get bored, I just go to CS and WSK for a change.

Stats:

Strenth: 156 with gear
    Dexterity: None
    Vitality: all the rest
    Energy: what is this???

Skills:

1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summoning Resist
    1 Amplify Damage
    1 Dim Vision
    1 Weaken
    1 Terror
    1 Confuse
    1 Attract
    1 Decriptify
    1 Bone Armour
    20 Corpse Explosion
    20 Bone Spear
    20 Bone Prison
    20 Bone Wall
    The remaining points go to Teeth.

Gears:

Weapon: White runeword in a +3 Bone spear Grim Wand

I will switch to a different base item if I can find a wand with +3 Bone Spear together with other useful things. My ultimate goal is to find or shop normal Drognan for a wand with +3 Bone Spear, +1 Attract, +1 Decriptify. That will save me a lot of skill points from prerequisite.

Shield: Spirit Monarch with 35% Faster cast rate

Mouseman's original build was using Homonculus. If I use Homonculus, then I need two 10 FCR rings and 15 FCR crafted amulet to reach the highest 125 FCR break point. However, I really want to use 2X SoJ for the skill and mana boost and my [email protected] Mara's for the resist boost. Therefore, I need to use Spirit Monarch, and I have to put awfully a lot of stat points into strength to reach 156, which is painful. oh well ...

Armour: 35 all resisit Skin of the Viper Magi with Um
    Helm: Harlequin Crest with perfect topaz
    Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: Sandstorm Trek
    Amulet: 28 all resist Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Rings: The Stone of Jordan X 2

Switch: Harmony bow for Travincal run, Naj's Puzzler for other places

Invetory:

34 MF Gheed's, P&B skiller X 2, all kinds of small charms with life, mana, resist.

Merc:

Insight Eth Great Poleaxe + Duress Archon Plate + Crown of Thieves

The Harmony bow helps me run through town quicker. I saw councils drop town portal quite often, so I tried to cast town portal, and go to Act 4. Eventually, I decided it was not worth it, as I constantly forgot to pick up portals, and it already took me time to pick up junks (Yes, I'm serious. I even pick up gold for gambling), and I don't want to waste more time.

The main features of this character:

(1) Safety

Maxed Bone Wall and Bone Prison boost Bone Armour to a ridiculous amount of absorbance. My HP is always more than half, and there is literally not even a single near death event throughout the whole game. Tyrael was so jealous of my power that he cast the portal to Destruction End in a place that I could not reach. However, it would not stop him being a Guardian. So, he is my only Guardian that reaches the Destruction End in an unusal way, not through the portal, but by clicking ESC. See the screen shot, lol!!!

Screenshot223.jpg

(2) You have full control of the whole screen, even outside the screen sometimes

A Necromancer is well-known for his crowd control skills. With Dim Vision, Attract and/or Bone Prison, you want a monster stay where they are? They will stay where they are!

(3) Fast at p1

Do I even need to explain? 125 FCR with maxed Corpse Explosion, all the monsters become silent immediately. Hence the name Nortrom, name of the Silencer from DotA.

Travincal playstyle:

Preferably at p1, but also feasible at p3. Roll a map where all the Council are just in front of the entrance to the temple.

Cast Bone Armour, switch to Harmony bow and run through town. Originally, I cast Bone Prison to keep the Council in place, but I always have to wait for Bone Prison to disappear to pick up stuff, since they were usually killed before Bone Prison timed out. Now I figure out a new strategy: when the entrance get to the edge of the right hand side of your screen, just about to see the Council, cast Clay Golem on top of them, then immediately cast Decriptify or Attract, then they will stay where they are, attacking your golem or themselves. Now start to cast Bone Spear from afar. The key is that don't let your merc and yourself confront them and keep the Council in place. Otherwise, your merc won't survive. You are the one doing the killing, your merc is just there to provide Meditation aura. He sometimes got distracted by the monsters (Hierophants, Night Lords etc) nearby, which is perfect for you!

If the monsters surrounding you are hitting you, just tank and ignore them!! Most of the time, they won't hurt you. In some cases, you need to drink a health potion, but that's it. Just keep casting Bone Spear, and once you have your first corpse, cast Amplify Damage and start spamming Corpse Explosion.

Pretty straightforward, right? I hope soon, you will get something like this:

Ber_Rune_2.jpg
    Ber_Rune_3.jpg
    Lo_Rune.jpg

Future:

Hopefully, I will get my Enigma soon, and I will use him as a main MF character in CS and WSK, freeing my Sorc from Pindle for something else finally :p

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. OldSoldier

OldSoldier IncGamers Member

I've never seen a Lo or a Ber and I've played this game for 15 years (OK, maybe 11, but still). Nicely done! I'm sure you are anxiously awaiting your last Ber to make that sweet Enigma!

3. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Sounds like a fun character! Great write-up, and practical demonstration of a build that can run an area without ideal equipment.

Nice finds in Trav. I haven't had much luck there... I always run it for a while and then go back to the carefree Lower Kurast district. :)

Atratees likes this.
  4. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

Very nice to see such a durable necromancer, and a very clear writeup too!

5. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

I like it, lots of explosions and magic damage so none of them are immune. How does that merc hold up with his Duress + Crown of Thieves? I can't keep them alive at 75 FR with no battle orders or MDR, the hydras are too much. The only two ways I've found that work are either Guardian Angel + stacked FR for 90 resistance or Gladiator's Bane for MDR.

I never found one myself until the last patch upped rune drops, but now it's pretty easy in Travincal. I've found 8 runes higher than Ist in about 1200 runs so far. I never thought I'd see a single player Zod for BotD but now that I can cube one I can't find a base for it.

I run Trav with a whirlwind barb, but for someone wanting to try it out without a large investment in gear this build would be awesome. Whirlwind wasn't very efficient until I got Grief, Enigma, and a Reaper's Toll for my merc. It's kind of a need runes to get runes paradox.

6. XyleneCyanol

If the next drop is a Ber, I will probably create an Infinity first, but if it is a Jah, then Enigma it is :)

Originally, I thought about it, but I forgot why I did not do LK in the first place :p Now, after seeing a youtube link of the mini LK guide from a fellow SPFer (is that you @Grape ?? :) , here), now, I'm planning to build a 200 fcr sorc for LK run. I don't want to give up my current sorc's map, she has a perfect Meph map, and Meph still owes me some nice things like Gaze, Highlords, Tal's amulet and Azurewrath.

Thanks, actually, to me, this is the most fun Necromancer I have ever build.

Right, my merc never survives with Duress plus Crown of Thieves. I rarely let my merc meet council. I just stand afar cast Bone Spear. Most of the time, my merc just stand still around me or is attracted Hierophants, Night Lords or whatever the name is the monster in the pool. Actually, most of the time, councils are kept just at the right edge of the screen. Occasionally, he went up to fight councils, and die instantly.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  7. BBS_Agonistes

I'll hazard your Blizzard sorc will really take off with Infinity! But either way, Jah or Ber--it's a win-win.

XyleneCyanol likes this.
  8. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Nope but that video is really familiar. I almost think it could've been made when I asked around about some LK running things. From the top of my head: is that your video @Dazliare ? :)

This is a really cool Guardian btw! Congrats! It seems you are soon about to make some nice runewords! Either way, those are really some game changer items for many builds.

9. BBS_Agonistes

Yeah, that's Daz's video. A great one, for sure!

10. XyleneCyanol

Ah I see ... Thanks anyway. I hope I could make some awesome rune words soon, but it seems I'm entering a dry streak now ... Anyway, I'm going to use the Lo to make a Grief!! Time to collect some flawed and normal gems to cube up all my Lems to a Mal :p

11. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Go with Enigma first. It will actually speed up your run times with that particular character and will open tons of other options up for you with other characters/builds. You could also respect your stats again with the strength boost, though you'll need to pick up resists somewhere.

12. TreeOfSmoke

TreeOfSmoke IncGamers Member

Nice build!

Naturallog already mentioned two ways to make the merc more durable.
    Another way is to use a steel shade helmet for the fire absorb, as long as you get some fire resist from the armor.