Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian No. 6 - Untwinked Trapper ZoZo

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Milb, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Guardian No. 6 - Untwinked Trapper ZoZo

Well, this character is no. 5 of 7 towards my sept, only Necro and druid to go. This was actually my first serious HC character, but I stopped after my old computer crashed and I was put back a couple of acts. I mainly restarted her after some people commented on my 'expensive' gear in my other Guardian threads so I thought I would try and prove a point :wink3:

She is almost a single pass character too, I think I did some Countess and Eldritch runs in normal, apart from that she just played through the game.

She was actually a pretty solid character, I gave her amazing resists, especially lightning, under conviction in WSK 3 Hell her resists were something like 40/75/75/xx :smiley:

I had one massive NDE, I was so lucky to come out alive it was unbelieveable. In the Canyon of the Magi I encountered 2 packs of Slingers, one of which was cursed, and one had Fanatacism and the other might. I got hit by 2 javelins which put me to about a quarter health, and another one would have finished me, but I levelled and then got hit again back down to half health :shocked: Probably the luckiest break I've ever had....

She had some problems killing some enemies, anything light immune with high fire res or vice versa was a nightmare. I had no decent physical damage, my merc used a Partizan Insight when I had him alive, he was practically useless though. At the Ancients he got chopped down in seconds but I carried on. Two Ancients went down relatively easily, but the Thrower was LI and had Spectral hit so he had massive fire res too, but I picked up a Bone Knife of Lower Resist in the Hell CS which was probably my best find in the whole game - I don't think I could have completed it without it, it was invaluable for most of Act 5 and especially Baal and his minions.

Anyways, enough rambling:

Stats (Base):
    Lvl 80
    Str 104
    Dex 110
    Vit 256
    Eng 25

Life 1106
    Mana 154 <---- I drank lots and lots of pots..... (5 traps = 100 mana)

Res 75/75/75/59 under Fade - cold and light both 75 without

Skills: 20 FB, 20 LS, 20 DS, 8 SW, 6 Weapon Block, 3 Fade, 7 Shadow Master, 1 Mind Blast

Damage: 1-1666 DS, 1-2383 LS, 1084 - 1338 FB

Gear:
    Lore Circlet
    2x 3 Trap Claws - 1 'Shael'ed
    2x 3 Shadow Claws
    Prismatic Amulet - 18 All Res
    Smoke Serpentskin Armor
    Bloodfists - found these in Act 2 Normal, used ever since
    2 Rare rings - with res, stats, some life, mana and a little mf
    Rare Mesh Belt - 24 FHR with small life and some cold and light res
    Rare Boots - 30 FRW 28 Cold res...

Charms with life, res and FRW

Merc:
    Insight Partizan
    Toothrow at end - had low end Vipermagi for most of game
    Crappy Blood Helm - didn't have enough PRubies to roll a semi-decent one...

Oh yeah, forges, NM Fal, Hell Io....

One last thing, she's named after my girlfriend, thought it would be a good way of making sure I tried to keep her alive :grin:

Thanks for reading!
    Milb

2. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

Great job! Trapper was my first character to untwink guardian. Soloed mostly the whole way threw besides pulling my two melee untwinked friends with me :)

Can I ask a question though? Why so much str and dex? When I play mine I always go for 55/55 str/dex seeing as thats all thats required for the claws. everything else is low str and no need for dex.

Hope you had tons of fun with her! Druid and necromancer will be easy!

3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Thanks!

Yeah, I know I screwed that up, I was aiming to have enough str/dex to use the elite claws, but when I got to NM Anya I noticed that the requirements were in the 50's so I was pretty pissed off, it cost me about 300 life I think - an extra 25-30%

But, she got through so can't complain too much!

4. Rekoc

Rekoc IncGamers Member

How did you go skill wise? I always maxed LS/DS/Bolt sentry first then put a few into shadow for a good tank then finished up on the other traps.

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

As always, congrats.

Ermm... why?

So having played a trapper using Shadows, what is your verdict? Useful, or useless?

6. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I personally think shadows are useless, other than as a 1pt distraction for tough crowds. Congrats on the Guardian!

I personally don't like 'casters' or 'pseudo-casters' much. I like to run up to something, and hear the satisfying sound of it's skull collapsing, as I beat it with a maul... :azn:

7. FrostBurn

Weren't you building a Wind druid not so long ago?

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Thanks for the grats :smiley:

Erm, I can't really remember exactly, I think I got FB to about 10-15, then I started pumping LS up, but as I did that I also got points in DS and SM. Then I maxed LS, FB, DS in that order.

Useful for this build, wouldn't be so good if I was twinked though. She could stand up to a few hits, and occassionally casted the odd useful MB. I had +6 Shadow skills on switch so she was getting cast at a decent level. IMO, for HC, any tanks are good, even if they are only a distraction. I wouldn't have been able to get past some areas of the game without her - Ancients for instance, she blocked Madawc's axes as I cast LR and threw FB's at him, without her I would have had to take his Mana burning axes which hit me for about 300-500 damage each.

I put 3 points in Fade before I found the Lum for Smoke - I probably would've only used 1 in hindsight.

6 WB as I don't like the diminishing returns after level 7 - I don't think 1% block is good enough for 1 skill point.

8 SW - synergy as I didn't really need any more defensive skills and it was probably the best place to put them.

9. FrostBurn

Sorry Milb, but unless I'm badly mistaken, or there is a hidden synergy that I don't know about, SW doesn't synergise anything.

10. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

>> Frostburn:

Yes, I was indeed building a windy druid, and still am. I was looking for an easy introduction to the druid. I had made wolves before, but they ended up weak and fearful. The wind druid is certainly powerful, but he's kinda boring. Stand here, cast hurricane, spam tornado, rinse, repeat. Kinda repetitive. Barbarians are cool, as you can rush into combat, and smack things around, throw out a couple various warcries, leap attack, whirlwind. I guess I like a bit more variety. Says me who's building a magic find sorceress (blizzballer). She's boring, but she works.

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Sorry, should have been clearer, SW is Shock Web not Shadow Warrior.

12. FrostBurn

Oh! Lol!

more characters.

13. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Hmmm, just having a look at the ETF out of boredom and have noticed this thread. Check out post #4, is this true? I've never heard about that before....

Edit - just checked the Assassin FAQ, looks like another Bnet rumour....

14. FrostBurn

I've never heard of the 'FCR making traps cast faster' either. I'm not inclined to believe that.

Traps are minions. It's like saying 'If a necro slaps on tons of IAS, his skellies will attack like undead viking berserkers'.

15. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Yep, it's true. Kind of sucks don't it =\

16. FrostBurn

17. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Salute to Guardian!!!!! Congrats!!

18. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Congrats on your Guardian!

I was happy to read about the level up saving your life as I've often wondered if that was ever the case. Its never actually saved my life but I'm always glad to see my orbs fill. I've played other games where this little "reward" for leveling up doesn't exist and it just makes me miss Diablo 2.

Nasty mods on those spearcats btw, yikes!

-hps

19. Skinny

Skinny Banned

Congratz on the guardian

Your gf is named zozo??

cool:cool:

20. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Thanks again for the grats everyone :smiley:

Not quite, she is called Zoe so it's her nickname :cool:

Yeah, I was happy to see that happen too :grin: I was distracted by my cat and girlfriend and wasn't paying full attention, normally if I got hit by one of those spears I would just hit the Full Rejuv but my hand was away from the keyboard.

Spear cats are probably my least favourite enemy in the game, I've learnt to deal with Gloams now but they still cause me trouble, especially in Act 5 NM and Hell with their piercing attack. A close second behind the Spear Cats would be the Lancers in Act 5 - if you walk into a pack of them they can fend you to death in moments - that's what actually killed my untwinked sorc.