Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian MrBean - A necro journey

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SlashRox, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SlashRox

SlashRox Diabloii.Net Member

Success ! First character of mine that obtains the coveted Guardianship. I proceed to share with you, fellow SPF forumite, the journey of MrBean the Necromancer.

Disclaimer: This write-up is a mix of notes and screenshots, and you may find it lacking on the creative writing department. :oops:

Guidelines of the playthrough:
    - Untwinked & Hardcore. The prospect of death amounts to both terror and excitement situations.
    - /p8 normal & nightmare, Hell was done on /p3 (except Duriel).
    - Single-pass, full clears & extended stash up until Act V Nightmare. Afterwards, we dropped the extended stash but in exchange decided to allow some re-running of areas. All in all I found this playstyle more fun.
    - No respecs allowed.

Character goals and description:
    - Poison Nova + Lower Resist build
    - High blocking! 65% seemed good enough. Rhyme was a minimum to achieve this as we set out on our quest.
    - Heavy use of Attract for CC (this skill is awesome).
    - Clay Golem + Revives
    - Amp + CE

Normal Difficulty

As with all Necros, the start of the game is pretty slow. MrBean jumped into his adventures armed with his (item)summoned skeleton but soon after swapped into melee gear for a piece of the action.

Given the 'no respecs' rule, MrBean's intention was to be played mostly as a melee necro until obtaining his main lvl30 skill. Oh my, was it an arduous task!

Skill progression was mostly leveling up the P.Nova synergies. 1pt into the mentioned curses and 1pt clay golem.
    As soon as we hit lvl30 we got 1pt lower resists and maxed Poison Nova.

At lvl6 we did the usual 3os ring mail shopping and stuck some chipped topazes on it. You know, the usual MF startup gear.

On The Cave (cold plains) we actually thought ourselves unlucky, having to face a Holy Freeze Archer Boss even before meeting Coldcrow! You could think that maybe we had some compensation on our first gamble of the journey, but sadly it's not a useful item to us. We were searching for mf gloves that were accompanied by a mf ring found during questing.

Our brave rogue companion Aliza proved to be of gigantic help on our melee part of the journey. However, on Andariel's catacombs things started to get interesting and dangerous. I decided that melee from now on was out of the question, my damage was negligible and I was feeling pretty fragile. So the hirelings took the protagonic role for some time.

Somewhere on the road to Andariel we found a nice mf amulet and, to boost even further our mf capabilities, Andariel (which I always find pretty difficult on /p8) blessed us with a big Topaz.

This act was grueling, as it is long one (specially for full-clearing). As soon as we arrived on Lut Golein, Aliza and MrBean decided to part ways and a desert mercenary that went by the name of Azrael was hired. Poor guy, if he had known that he'd be tasked with the killing of every single monster that inhabited the desert he might have asked for a bigger salary.

Drognan provided the usual shield, while Elzix had this pretty gloves up for barter. A Deathspade was found that very briefly inspired a return to close combat, but was soon enough abandoned given the low damage dealt.

Once again MrBean felt that he had exhausted all his luck in some other life, as his circlet gambling provided the sought-after circlet of luck but with the worst possible roll. Darn!

Azrael was starting to demand better work conditions so we actually made an effort and provided a Partizan weapon. First, this was cubed, but Azrael refused to utilize it on a 'that's too heavy' argument. Therefore we had to apply some creativity and it resulted in this exotic stick. Good enough for the time being, monsters were dropping in 1 or 2 hits and it made progress a little bit more bearable.

Our journey took us to this most strange place that was watched by uncountable stars and offered floating platforms and confusing red portals. We had to fight some convicted and unholy spirits before finding this ring mail unique armor. It allowed us, along side some other gear found along the way (hsarus belt, cold res ring and cold res gloves) to proudly exhibit a surreal amount of cold resiliance before standing toe to toe with the big bug. Note the gambled circlet!

I don't actually remember much about fighting Duriel and find my notes lacking in this subject. I know for a fact that the difficulty was dropped to /p3 or maybe /p1 out of fear, given MrBean's reliance on Azreal and the beating this fellow and his comrades usually get at the hands of Duriel. We do, however, have a picture of his hidden stash. Sadly, it proved of no usefulness.

Ah! I remember now. We forgot to switch out of our cold resist gear and into the MF set up. So actually Duriel was killed with no MF! Such a wasted opportunity, oh well... Let's move on.

MrBean tried for some further gambling and scored this great mf boots, but the star of the show were this amazing rares. I liked them so much that they were later personalized! Stashed they were, until proven necessary.

Some further jewelry was found on the jungles, this ring and this cute blue amulet. Also, Ormus gifted us this nifty ring. 'Real gear' was starting to show up! But now we should talk about some tactics.

Upon reaching the kurast temples, we took the opportunity to fine tune our 'stair trap' abilities. The tactic of choice was the immediate cast of Attract (blindly) upon clicking on stairs. We got the opportunity to test this out on a pack of vipers that were awaiting for some innocent bystanders. But with this technique they were handled with ease, and here we have some proof of it working like a charm!! Also, they made for an eerie picture.

On the Kurast Causeway MrBean had a NDE encounter on one of the temples. Was consecutively hit by beetle sparks and had to drink all 3 little juvies fast and consecutively. If I hadn't just gotten a 20% lighting resistance GC just a few minutes earlier, I'm afraid that this could have been the end of my journey.. I'm gonna have to be really careful on these maps with really tight spaces.

Upon reaching Travincal we had already dinged lvl30 and therefore we could now utilize our main skill Poison Nova. Things would actually be more fun from now on! Here's a picture of an intimidating encounter.

Mephisto didn't pose any challenge, I swapped in the "good" gear for the fight. Because of Darkglow, resists were ridiculously good and that allowed us to just stand in front of Meph spamming poison nova.

Took a while to whittle him down. Sadly, just like with Duriel, I miscalculated what "low hp" was and Meph died without me swapping in the MF gear. His drop wasn't interesting.

Upon arrival to the Pandemonium Fortress, we sold all muled items that were worth from 15k to 20k. Even after that we still had 16 items capped at 20k! Gambling was at hand, and we decided to burn all 570k on circlets. Still hadn't gotten a second circlet of luck (the only one I had obtained had a measly 26% mf, which was currently equipped). And so 17 circlets were gambled, and not even one of them had an MF affix. Dang! And only 1 rare, which wasn't noteworthy.

On with the journey, I actually enjoy act IV quite a lot. Enough to take a second and get some nice creepy pictures, like this one. So cool! Forth we proceeded, with no hiccups, until the Chaos Sanctuary.

Oblivion Knights are not affected by Dim Vision or Attract. They can, however, be cursed by Amplified Damage of Decrepify. These guys are pretty badass but Decrepify was more than up to the challenge.

Diablo was probably the hardest fight I've had in this game, at least that I can remember. It was a drawn out half an hour ordeal. I made sure to swap in the "serious" gear for the fight, which provided 80 lightning resists and 76 fire resists. This was a relief, but it was still dangerous.

Azrael died instantly so I knew it was going to have to be 1 on 1 with Diablo. My sole weapon was Poison Nova, against his 50% poison resists. Clay Golem was, of course, one shot in no time. Strategy was to decrep when he moved, lower resists while he casted. In the meantime I would run around in circles casting poison nova (and eating almost 40k gold of mana pots). I would at times cast the Golem to make evasive moves while it drawed his attention, if he came too close or charged and freezed me.

Here we have a sample of Diablo posing for a picture. I made sure to always have a portal open, which he usually imprisoned. However, he only threw his prison at me a couple times the whole fight and I would immediately TP to town.

The panic moment came when he was about to be defeated and I tried to retreat to town in order to swap in the MF gear for the kill. Just press Q and right click to cast the TP but .... no scrolls left!! I had already replenished the tome to 20 once this fight, so this caught me completely by surprise. I ran away from Diablo and put the couple mp pots left in the inventory on the hotbar, decided to try and kill him right then and there (with no hp pots left!).

When I closed in, fortunately, I saw a yellow spot on the minimap. I already had a portal opened! Such a relief. I went to town and restocked properly. Now I could safely go for the kill. I believe his drop was generous but not really useful.

No more Normal /p8 Diablo for me! So stressful.

This act is a pretty cool experience and gear bump. No real threats are present until at least until Nihlathak and the Anya quest. Although the first poison immunes made their appearance, I didn't really make note of any particular situation so I guess it all went by rather smoothly.

A gear upgrade came by pretty fast, maybe even as we set out to stop Harrogath's siege. This unique ring dropped, which happened to be a Nagelring. Nice! We like mf gear. But wait.... I shouldn't be so excited.

Anyways, we knew we could do some juicy shopping. So Larzuk was nice and provided this victim for 3 P.Topazes (eventually, we didn't have them right then and there). We were also on the lookout for some +life mods, given that our heavy investment into dex left us pretty short on that area. Once again, Larzuk provided.

But really, the most interesting find this act was this shopped wand from Malah. I was actually aiming at something like this, so finding this was rather satisfactory.

The Larzuk socket reward was spent on a rather bad circlet. I did at the time, however, thought it pretty amazing for Azrael. Oh boy did I regret this decision. The circlet in question was this one, which was actually my Charsi imbue. It was socketed with a P.Ruby for +38 life. Hooray for Azrael!

Anyways, a Shael finally dropped and we made Rhyme. Blocking was maintained at about 65% as that seemed a good balance between life and blocking (although we always felt short on the life stat).

Baal disappointingly puked these items out, and we moved onward to Nightmare. We actually forgot about the Cow level :eek:

Nightmare Difficulty

Skill progression now oscillated between the maxing of a poison nova synergy and some points into CE for radius, given that in my experience CE picks up the pace on Nightmare difficulty. We also now bothered to spend points to get 1pt Revives, which alongside +skills provided for some nice meatshields.

I must say I didn't write down many notes, if any at all, from these early acts. So, I'm mostly writing from the screenshots.

First drop of note was an improved Nagelring. Nice! But soon enough came the end-game weapon, all the way until the Guardian title. Akara, thank you. Well, wait a second. I was actually shopping (and did for every town visit until the end-game) for a Necromancer wand of the Magus (+2 necro skills, +20%fcr). Still, the staffmods on this wand are just amazing. +3 revives was incredibly useful, I only had 1 hard point on the skill but this allowed for many meatshields. +3 decrep is simply put a commodity. You can always just recast it when the timer runs out. I actually tried really hard to get a better weapon but nothing could beat this.

This pretty charm came into play but these boots were the real deal for the mf setup. The countess drop was as disappointing as ever.

- We were now starting to pile up on the life charms of all shapes and sizes.
    - Lum rune which later on Hell came into play for making Smoke.
    - Gull dagger, which is just great for the mf killing blow.
    - HoZ on the palace! Too bad we are no pallies.
    - The most unexpected drop ever from a corpse in the Canyon of the Magi. Check it out on the IFT
    - Amazing large charm
    - End-game rare amulet!

I wonder what the odds are for getting this to show up on the shopping window with virtually the same rolls? Pretty cool.

Duriel was no miracle.

- Azrael evolved into Waheed the might mercenary.
    - Somebody call a blood-spatter analyst!
    - Muled out! Maybe it'll make for a great twinking weapon someday.

Durance of Hate lvl 2 was incredibly annoying to clear. Dolls were a real danger, as they close the distance really quickly and require fast reflexes. That this map was so absurdly big made it no fun, had to be really careful and slow-going.

Usually I would immediately decrepify and cast the golem close to the dolls, to put some distance. Attract when more doll buddies catched up, and then I would feel safe. Their death explosion took nearly half of the red bulb if I happened to be in range, which was stressing.

Also, Dark Lords have the biggest life pool ever.

I was greeted on Durance lvl 3 by a HUGE pack of fanatic Dark Lords and some Council dudes, which actually made me really scared. They made me switch out of the MF gear, and toned down to /p3. Hurted my pride but it was being really stressful.

Meph actually was pretty easy, dropping nothing of interest.

Okay, I was hesitant but I put /p8 back up only to be greeted by Venom Lords on both the Plains of Despair and the first area. Did you know that these guys are only poison immune on Nightmare difficulty? On Hell they actually have only 75 res (nice for lower resists!) which is barely 5 more from their 70 res on normal.

Lower Resist actually broke the poison immunity but a 1.8k P.Nova didn't put a dent in them. So I had to rely mostly on revives, merc + decrepify and corpse explosion.

I was worried Izual was gonna take forever on /p8 but actually had no problems. Maybe 6mins at most.

- The forge.

Chaos Sanctury is always fun (venom lords are not). I love Oblivion Knights. They cannot be revived, dim visioned or attracted and they kept cursing my own mob pack (5 revives + merc). This was challenging, for sure. The most difficult pack was Ventar, as they hit pretty hard, I had no revives and my only weapon against them was the brave Azrael. But I was able to push through to Diablo, for which I dropped down to /p3 and killed him without many issues.

I was not willing to have another /p8 extremely dangerous and long fight like in normal. I have come to accept the fact that this poison dude just doesn't really do lots of damage if there are no bodies around to explode.

This is when I was convinced by @Maltatai to go full vanilla, no GoMule. So I grabbed the the best runes I had obtained (1 Fal and x2 Lums being the highlights), all my PTopazes and simply said goodbye to extended stash.

Tried hard to get a 4os armor by cube-socketing, but it was actually pretty funny. Over here I detail what happened.

Waheed was taken care of on regards of his weapon. This was replaced by the Honor runeword, of which I find that Lances fall pretty often and easily on early areas of this act.

An act with a considerable amount of poison immunes. Everything was smooth sailing until I started encountering those pesky skeleton archers and skeleton mages everywhere, that’s when the pace slowed down. Relied on Waheed to get a couple of kills and then just exploded everything with CE.

- This amulet had something to say.

Didn’t kill Nihlathak, the possibility of encountering Tomb Vipers is just too frightening for me. I did, however, full clear the Halls of Anguish and Halls of Pain. I even took this opportunity to learn about the map patterns, very enlightening.

Rolled Black Souls on WSK2, WSK3 and the Throne Room. I had to be really careful. Swapped off the mf rings for the resistance ones, and that made the trip a little bit safer.

For Lister I had to do /p3 since my poison damage was completely non-existant and Waheed just couldn’t handle it alone. It was still pretty difficult, but manageable in the end.

Baal had a final goodbye gesture by dropping absolutely nothing. He took 430mf as a joke!

I believe I was lvl73 when I vanquished Baal, but I actually did a couple Baal runs to enter hell at lvl75. An Eth 4os Colossus Voulge dropped, but given no RWM I can’t really make anything out of it. “Passion” feels like a good option, albeit uncommon I believe. But I feel a Lem would be better spent on a Treachery. After all, an upped Rockfleece isn’t really a wonderful thing. Anyways, with no Lem on sight, for the moment it gathers dust on the stash.

Hell Difficulty

On regards to skill points, we now had a fully maxed poison nova synergy and spent the next skill points in an alternate fashion between CE and the final poison nova synergy.

Okay, so this is a breakpoint on the journey. It's been a really long time since I've played on Hell difficulty. So I decided I was going to take things really slowly and safely. MF gear was swapped out for good, and we put on the serious face.

Upon entering the rogue encampment, resistances were all in the 20-40 range (except poison, which thanks to Stealth was a tad higher). Given the low amount of hitpoints I decided that I needed to obtain better resistance ratings.

Therefore the quest for “Smoke” runeword commenced. By switching out from Stealth I’d be giving up 25% FCR and the FRW. I was okay with that, it equates to going from 13 frames to 12 frames fcr (only 20%FCR from amulet and ring) which wasn’t all that bad. And I actually found that moving too fast can make you play sloppy so less FRW might actually be good for me.

On the upside, we get improved defense rating (meh) and +50% to all resists. This bumped everything to 75%. This gave me the confidence to swap out the (life+res) circlet, which equates to 100 less life, for the MF helmet. Resists still all maxed and fire on the 63%. However I can now quest through the game on 100ish mf, which is nice.

We maintained the FHR breakpoint because the swap of armors only nets us -5% FHR

- Smoke + Boots + (x2 FHR small charms) = 40% FHR

And an extra 10% from the mf helm, but that doesn’t get us any breakpoint, so it’s not important. But if my fhr charms didn’t have a little resists to boot I’d just stash them and still get to keep the breakpoint.

Set out on /p1 to the den of evil, and now avoiding full clears to get faster through the game. But I actually found it pretty easy (to my surprise) so did /p3 from then on. (I still almost full-clear, habits die hard…).

- We found an amazing druid shapeshift skiller on the Mausoleum, which was muled off.

Did about 5countess runs to get a nef which I was missing for “Smoke”, and now I only had to find a base. Off to the pit, in what is hopefully a taste of many visits to come. In about 5 visits a 2os Dusk Shroud dropped (the first Dusk Shroud actually) and now we are ready to keep on questing, with great resistances. These visits to the pits did not prove to be hard, but rather slow. I had to be really careful on the second level, archer boss packs killed Waheed pretty easily.

The rest of the act went by very easily, and Andariel dropped a Guardian Angel (which saw no use and was muled off).

Upon entering the first level of the Sewers, the very first boss pack dropped a Lem. Nice! Options are Treachery or Passion for Waheed.

The prospect of dealing with the Maggot Tunnel’s corners, poison immunes and narrow hallways was so daunting in terms of time investment that completely brought my progress to a halt. I didn’t play for days until I mustered the patience needed to tackle head on said endeavor.

Met a Stone Skin, breakable physical immune, poison immune maggot. It was so annoying that I HAD to kill him. Took a while. He had teleport so he actually moved away from a couple corpses I had laying around from his minions that I had saved up for him (lower resist+CE fire damage).

On the third floor I turned around a corner into a boss pack of maggots. They weren’t dangerous per se so I just stood back behind Waheed while he poked at them, one by one. He didn’t even get to kill the first maggot and it just digged into the ground and then back out but this time just behind me. Suddenly I was trapped. I lost my focus and let Waheed die on a completely unnecesary fashion. Now I was really trapped, attract did nothing, I couldn't reach the TP, and no maggot was going to let me get out. I had to save and exit. ANNOYING AS HELL. GET ALL THE WAY BACK INTO LVL 3.

The great maggot was actually pretty easy and fast. Small worms proved food for CE and a great chain of CE was set in motion so that in no more than 1 minute the whole room was cleared. Maggot blood and poison spattered everywhere, strangely satisfying.

Had a NDE upon entering the Temple of Snakes. At least 2 boss packs of Snake Vipers had prepared a friendly greeting, and I was immediately swarmed. I actually tried to fight and casted decrep+attract so that I could move away from the hot spot, but the merc had already melted. Swiftly I was attacked twice in quick succession and I swa the red bulb EMPTY, literally. I must have had no more than 20 life. A quick big purple saved me but I was attack again. I pressed escape. There was absolutely no way I was getting out of there alive, and if I did, I most definitely wouldn’t be coming down there once again. So, as embarrassing as it may be, I saved and exited. MrGreen now feels dirty and tainted in a way.

Duriel taken on /p1, initially with a couple of Unravellers as revives. The merc did not die and we just had 1 single trip into town for potion re-stock and switching into MF gear for the killing blow.

On the Flayer Dungeon we found this baby, which proved to be a massive damage improvement over the Honor Lance Waheed was wearing. We missed the life leech but it was still worth it.

- Life charms kept piling up! Thankfully

All in all the act was pretty smooth. I got lucky and Lam Esen’s Tome was on the first temple we hit, which had no stair trap (to my relief!). Waheed died fighting the council a couple of times but the encounter was not particularly hard. And then we went into the Durance, were OF COURSE we had to explore the whole map before finding the stairs to lvl 3, such a pain.

Meph decided to be a bad boy and drop nothing of note.

Venom Lords on Hell are not poison immune!:D . Waheed took care of the poison immune Regurgitators with no problems really.

On the Plains of Despair, while searching for Izual, we bumped into a HUGE pack of Venom Lords + Gloams. Waheed got toasted instantly on the first encounter and the gloam’s ‘death ray’ tried to take me out several times so I had to be really careful. I pulled back in the hopes of splitting the pack (and put my life on the line to take this screenie!) to no avail. Decrep + attract was in order but we still got swamped every time. So, I just set the game down for a couple of days.:oops:

Our 2nd attempt was very manageable and we found this pretty ring to boot (it saw no use sadly). I barely got to check Izual’s health bar before he fell, in the midst of a monster pack. Wow, Waheed can really dish out some damage!

We got Urdars on the River of Flame, which was good. They are not that dangerous , because they are not particularly fast, and so they are ‘attracted’ on sight. Afterwards, they make for great revives. So all in all, they are welcome.

- As a side note, we found a Flying Axe with over 100maximum damage added and 1.3k AR ! I had never seen such a massive bonus to max damage.

We fought Hepastho and his minions and were really hoping for an Um. It would open up many runewords! Sadly, we got dealt a Ko and a very unhealthy dose of disappointment.

- Moar Urdars!

We swept through the Chaos Sanctuary, ganking up on De Seis on the process, and then cornered Diablo into an easy fight (still on /p3, which surprised me). Waheed didn’t die and we got a TIR rune for our efforts!! Dang it!!! [email protected]·/(!#€€¬%ª\*!

Waheed and I immediately set off in hopes of stopping the siege that had been pummeling down on the city. We were so worried that we got to Shenk incredibly fast and took him down. This marked a d2 session ending, so (as per the acquired tradition) I cleared the Pits before shutting down. To my surprise, it was actually the first time it paid off. We found a Wizardspike (from some normal mob).

Huge FCR and resists are charming and all, but this made us realize how important our humble blue necro wand was. +3 revives was very useful and +2 skills actually made the 1-point curses (attract, dim vision, amplify damage) have a decent radius (or at least tolerable). So, we decided to keep it in stash until we found a +skills amulet (dang it, why did I mule off that Eye of Eltlich on Normal?) or +2 necro circlet.

We were now tasked with the rescue of some naive barbarians that fell into the enemy trap.

This proved a tad more difficult, because of the abundance of skeleton type archers and mages (which are poison immune). So, tactics were in order. Attract+decrep to make sure Waheed could get in there and start working the bones. Barbs were rescued.

On the Arreat Plateau we decided to pay a visit to the Pit of Acheron. Hell Temptress’ greeted us vehemently, and this happened. Okay, so Waheed was not gonna be useful here. These girls have an incredibly large range, I couldn’t close the distance safely. So, I just tried to poke in and out to attract one of them, and they actually killed each other pretty fast! Success. With these tactics we managed to cleare the area (to no reward).

On the next couple of areas we got a lot of poison immunes, and many physicals too (MrBean relies on Waheed’s ability for a quick 1st corpse pretty heavily on high hp mobs). Some that come to mind are Blood Lords and Bone Mages (crystalline passage), Pit Vipers (glacial trail), Blood Temptress (frozen river) and Hell Temptress (icy cellar version is physical immune). Waheed and I had to take things more patiently, but there was nothing we couldn’t kill.

I know the Anya Quest is intimidating to many characters, from this screen it certainly looks scary (the anya boss was in there). I thought that Waheed was going to get swarmed and slapped pretty quickly. But it actually was a perfect monster formation! The melee guys were stuck on the back, and as soon as we got a couple of corpse this painting sprung up.

I think the game is trying to tell me something, but I really don’t want to use this until I get +skills from somewhere else!!

Given that we were feeling pretty confident we paid a visit to Snapchip Shatter. We basically had no revives on the Icy Cellar, due to the frozen guys shattering on death. This made it for an interesting experience but nothing un-manageable.

The Ancients seemed daunting at first, and I realized that their killing would have to be done by Waheed. I think there’s just no way that Poison Nova puts a dent on them in /p3, or even /p1. So, my only goal would be to roll them with no ‘cursed’ modifier, as that works through Waheed pretty easily.

On our 4th try we got them curse-free and Waheed got to work.

I had 3 Rougue-type revives from The Ancient’s Way and they distracted Talic and Madawc so that Waheed could net the first kill in no more than 1 minute, Korlic. Soon enough the revives went MIA and it was a 1v2 situation, but my money was still on Waheed. Madawc was LE so he was left for the end, and we cornered him on a ledge. All in all, we only had to use 2 full rejuves and maybe 3 or 4 rows in total reds and blues.

Upon entering WSK 3 the first pack we found was a mix of Doom Knights with a Horror Mage (poison immune) boss with Conviction aura. The sparks he fired effectively two-shooted Waheed several times, and got my bulb into the danger zone just as easily. We just couldn’t go that way. I now had only 1 full juve left, so I got cold feet and called it a day.

- Pindle.
    - Revives don't get knockbacked from lister and co.
    - Baal for the first and last time! Pic from the fight
    - Interesting circlet while looking for +2 necro.

We made it!

Traditional stats and gear dump
    Name: MrBean
    Class: Necromancer
    Experience: 1185541430
    Level: 86

Naked/Gear
    Strength: **/92
    Dexterity: 165/166
    Vitality: 227/227
    Energy: 25/63
    HP: 656/905
    Mana: 195/230
    Stamina: 376/376
    Defense: 41/1035
    AR: 780/799

Fire: 171/131/71
    Cold: 190/150/90
    Lightning: 185/145/85
    Poison: 179/139/79

MF: 104 Block: 76
    GF: 71 FR/W: 10
    FHR: 50 IAS: 0
    FCR: 20

Amplify Damage: 1/4
    Dim Vision: 1/4
    Weaken: 1/4
    Iron Maiden: 1/4
    Terror: 1/4
    Confuse: 1/4
    Life Tap: 1/4
    Attract: 1/4
    Decrepify: 1/7
    Lower Resist: 1/4

Teeth: 1/4
    Bone Armor: 1/4
    Poison Dagger: 20/23
    Corpse Explosion: 17/20
    Bone Wall: 0/0
    Poison Explosion: 20/23
    Bone Spear: 0/0
    Bone Prison: 0/0
    Poison Nova: 20/23
    Bone Spirit: 0/0

Skeleton Mastery: 0/0
    Raise Skeleton: 1/4
    Clay Golem: 1/4
    Golem Mastery: 1/4
    Raise Skeletal Mage: 1/4
    Blood Golem: 1/4
    Summon Resist: 1/4
    Iron Golem: 1/4
    Fire Golem: 0/0
    Revive: 1/7

Charms
    Coral Grand Charm of Blight
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 15
    Fingerprint: 0x43fcd93f
    Item Level: 35
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Adds 6 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
    Lightning Resist +23%

Crimson Small Charm of Life
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 14
    Fingerprint: 0xa3eedd78
    Item Level: 6
    +8 to Life
    Fire Resist +4%

Garnet Small Charm of Life
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 20
    Fingerprint: 0xa79fe9b4
    Item Level: 43
    +7 to Life
    Fire Resist +9%

Large Charm of Vita
    Large Charm
    Required Level: 50
    Fingerprint: 0x87361ba1
    Item Level: 83
    +29 to Life

Large Charm of Sustenance
    Large Charm
    Required Level: 34
    Fingerprint: 0x9020c532
    Item Level: 52
    +23 to Life

Small Charm of Vita
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 39
    Fingerprint: 0x43068112
    Item Level: 81
    +20 to Life

Lucky Grand Charm of Sustenance
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 23
    Fingerprint: 0x9c702d9c
    Item Level: 49
    +23 to Life
    7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Sapphire Grand Charm of Strength
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 22
    Fingerprint: 0x940f2674
    Item Level: 38
    +3 to Strength
    Cold Resist +29%

Cobalt Small Charm
    Small Charm
    Fingerprint: 0xb5742f96
    Item Level: 45
    Cold Resist +9%

Small Charm of Vita
    Small Charm
    Fingerprint: 0x2bb07962
    Item Level: 78
    +17 to Life

Small Charm of Vita
    Small Charm
    Fingerprint: 0xcf799b56
    Item Level: **
    +20 to Life

Viridian Small Charm
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 10
    Fingerprint: 0x5a0c7e8f
    Poison Resist +7%

Viridian Small Charm of Balance
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 29
    Fingerprint: 0xb11f22e5
    Item Level: 57
    +5% Faster Hit Recovery
    Poison Resist +6%

Russet Small Charm of Dexterity
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 10
    Fingerprint: 0xa8667ddd
    Item Level: 15
    +1 to Dexterity
    Fire Resist +7%

Small Charm of Sustenance
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 17
    Fingerprint: 0xcbdb4f
    Item Level: 85
    +15 to Life

Jade Small Charm of Strength
    Small Charm
    Fingerprint: 0x7473d071
    +1 to Strength
    Poison Resist +9%

Jade Small Charm of Life
    Small Charm
    Fingerprint: 0x44e7d522
    Item Level: 50
    +7 to Life
    Poison Resist +8%

Serpent's Small Charm of Balance
    Small Charm
    Required Level: 40
    Fingerprint: 0xfa34eddb
    Item Level: 68
    +5% Faster Hit Recovery
    +15 to Mana

Gear
    Artisan's Great Helm of Balance
    Great Helm
    Defense: 30
    Durability: 33 of 40
    Required Level: 25
    Required Strength: 63
    Fingerprint: 0x9b888f23
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    72% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    3 Sockets (3 used)
    Socketed: Perfect Topaz

Garnet Light Gauntlets of Fortune
    Light Gauntlets
    Defense: 10
    Durability: 16 of 18
    Required Level: 13
    Required Strength: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xc3b4718e
    Item Level: 63
    Fire Resist +22%
    25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Necromancer's Yew Wand of Enlightenment
    Yew Wand
    One Hand Damage: 2 - 8
    Durability: 14 of 15
    Required Level: 42
    Fingerprint: 0x32a86d7c
    Item Level: 54
    +2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
    +3 to Revive (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Decrepify (Necromancer Only)
    +28 to Energy

Whitstan's Guard
    Round Shield
    Defense: 154
    Chance to Block: 67
    Durability: 59 of 64
    Required Strength: 53
    Fingerprint: 0x4b012b62
    Item Level: 47
    +40% Faster Block Rate
    55% Increased Chance of Blocking
    +175% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +19
    Half Freeze Duration
    +5 to Light Radius
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Perfect Diamond

Lapis Heavy Belt of the Whale
    Heavy Belt
    Defense: 6
    Durability: 13 of 18
    Required Level: 37
    Required Strength: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xb797b2a8
    Item Level: 62
    +** to Life
    Cold Resist +12%

MrBean's Storm Trample
    Boots
    Defense: 2
    Durability: 4 of 12
    Required Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0x2ed28058
    Item Level: 26
    +10% Faster Run/Walk
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    Lightning Resist +37%
    Fire Resist +19%
    Poison Resist +22%
    71% Extra Gold from Monsters

Smoke
    Dusk Shroud
    NefLum
    Defense: 764
    Durability: 7 of 20
    Required Level: 49
    Required Strength: 77
    Fingerprint: 0x42413caa
    Item Level: 85
    +20% Faster Hit Recovery
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +280 Defense vs. Missile
    +10 to Energy
    All Resistances +50
    -1 to Light Radius
    Level 6 Weaken (18/18 Charges)
    2 Sockets (2 used)
    Socketed: Nef Rune
    Socketed: Lum Rune

Storm Emblem
    Amulet
    Required Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0xcb816d06
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    +7 to Life
    Cold Resist +30%
    Lightning Resist +26%
    Poison Resist +35%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 1

The Stone of Jordan
    Ring
    Fingerprint: 0x462e3837
    Item Level: 48
    +1 to All Skills
    Adds 1 - 12 Lightning Damage
    +20 to Mana
    Increase Maximum Mana 25%

Raven Master
    Ring
    Required Level: 13
    Fingerprint: 0x4a7e378a
    Item Level: 21
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    +1 to Maximum Damage
    +14 to Attack Rating
    Cold Resist +20%
    Fire Resist +11%
    Damage Reduced by 2

Switch

Gull
    Dagger
    One Hand Damage: 2 - 19
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Level: 4
    Fingerprint: 0xc23ce898
    Adds 1 - 15 Damage
    -5 to Mana
    100% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Rhyme
    Bone Shield
    ShaelEth
    Defense: 28
    Chance to Block: 40
    Durability: 40 of 40
    Required Strength: 25
    Fingerprint: 0x7bb1a772
    Item Level: 20
    +40% Faster Block Rate
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    All Resistances +25
    Cannot Be Frozen
    50% Extra Gold from Monsters
    25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    2 Sockets (2 used)
    Socketed: Shael Rune
    Socketed: Eth Rune

Mercenary:

Name: Waheed
    Race: Desert Mercenary
    Type: Off-Nightmare
    Experience: 77227380
    Level: 86
    Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 188/208
    Dexterity: 151/151
    HP: 1807/1807
    Defense: 1330/2121
    AR: 1922/1922

Fire: 150/110/50
    Cold: 150/110/50
    Lightning: 150/110/50
    Poison: 150/110/50

Rockfleece
    Sharktooth Armor
    Defense: 574
    Durability: 37 of 48
    Required Level: 30
    Required Strength: 93
    Fingerprint: 0xdef3d707
    Item Level: 40
    +126% Enhanced Defense
    +5 to Strength
    Damage Reduced by 10%
    Damage Reduced by 5
    Required Level +5
    Requirements -10%

Guillaume's Face
    Winged Helm
    Defense: 217
    Durability: 21 of 40
    Required Level: 34
    Required Strength: 115
    Fingerprint: 0x166d7b57
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    35% Chance of Crushing Blow
    15% Deadly Strike
    +120% Enhanced Defense
    +15 to Strength

Cruel Hyperion Spear
    Hyperion Spear
    Two Hand Damage: 181 - 621
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Level: 48
    Required Strength: 145
    Required Dexterity: 110
    Fingerprint: 0xcad48478
    Item Level: 84
    249% Enhanced Damage
    Ethereal

All in all, this was a great character to play. I feel like I had some pretty good luck with the SoJ and the shopping of wands, the Whistand's Guard, the Guillaume's and the merc weapon.
    I learned that Attract is incredibly powerful, and Dim Vision saw very little use.

Plans for the future?
    This character was initially planned for competing on the RFL, but I just didn't make it in time. (The journey started on December 2018).
    But maybe I'll try some running of Cows or Pits just for fun.

Thank you SPF for the motivation.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    TedDeeBoy, Grape, T72on1 and 8 others like this.
  2. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like quite the bathroom break, good luck! ;)

SlashRox likes this.
  3. SlashRox

@ffs secret unveiled!
    Whew that was a lot of writing and linking to pics. Enjoyable nonetheless. Finished!

4. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Splendid accomplishment, superbly documented; thanks for spending the time and effort to share! :) Major style points for magic weapons on both Necro and merc. :cool:

SlashRox and Fruit like this.
  5. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

Huge congratulations! And what an excellent writeup, thanks for a greatly informative and well illustrated read. Also, I'm honored to have led you to the dark side :D

I found it very interesting that you had such use for a one-point attract, that's encouraging :) Also agree about a stylish (and useful) wand.

SlashRox and Fruit like this.
  6. SlashRox

Thank you both! Yes, surprisingly end-game gear had more magics than I initially expected. The belt, the gloves, the helmet, the wand, and Waheed's weapon. I tried hard to find/gamble something better but nothing seemed to actually be more helpful than these pieces :)

I feel that making this thread at the end of the road might have been that extra little bit of motivation I needed.

Zyr likes this.
  7. Swamigoon

Swamigoon Diabloii.Net Member

Superb write-up; thanks for taking the time to share this. (Edit: I'm very jealous; the Stone of Jordan ring is one of the grailers I never found in years of playing.)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    SlashRox likes this.
  8. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on the Guardian and the great write-up. How did your merc fare without leech? I would suspect that a crafted Blood Armor (if no other sources of armor leech appeared) might have helped him tank more consistently than the 10% DR on the Rockfleece due to constantly gaining back good chunks of life since he was using such a high damage weapon. Just curious how he performed without any leech in hell - that's something I usually consider near-mandatory for my mercs (unless they're due to spend extended periods of time tanking Hell Meph...).

9. SlashRox

@jonnyphive
    Well, until Act3 Hell Waheed had leech from the Honor rw. But as soon as I swapped in the cruel weapon survivability took a hit. I did, however, adapt after some time.
    On Act4 Waheed's full life bar could already be depleted very easily within seconds. I learned to better (and more heavily) use Attract, as in a 'try that no more than 1 monster is hitting the merc' way. This drastically reduced deaths, but given the relatively short duration for the curse (1pt+skills), just a second of distraction or not renewing Attract on time could prove fatal.
    Act5 was definitely a challenge in this aspect. I had to be very on point with Waheed's purple intake, Attract, and even then deaths would happen. He played like a real glass-cannon.

All in all, without Attract it would have been a no-go. Even with it, Waheed could die very easily.

I chose to keep the Rockfleece for the DR instead of making some easy RW like Lionheart or Smoke to max his resists (I also never got an elite eth armor), but that was probably a wrong call. I considered a Sol'ed armor also but I never got enough Sols from questing and didn't feel like running the Countess. A crafted armor definitely sounds interesting, it had never occurred to me before. I will check it out.

I actually thought about having Larzuk put 2os on the weapon (hopefully!) for x2 Ams, x2 Shaels (he had no IAS, maybe I could have used the Lem for a Treachery on this matter) or 1 of each. But it was my last Larzuk reward (crappy circlet on normal, Whitstand's on NM) and I just couldn't commit to using it.

@Swamigoon
    I'm glad you liked it, it feels rewarding!
    And yes, Stones of Jordan are very elusive. I hadn't ever found one myself until that dusty corpse by the sand made my day :)

Swamigoon, Zyr and jonnyphive like this.
  10. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

@SlashRox Thanks for the comments! Sounds like Attract was the centerpiece curse for your playthrough. The Blood Armors are pretty crappy compared to almost any other armor, but if you *need* the leech, and considering your merc's very nice weapon and helm (and presumably no worthy alternatives with leech), it is sometimes the best you can muster. Even 2% leech with a weapon like that can be helpful untwinked.

Zyr and SlashRox like this.
  11. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Belated congrats on your first Guardian !!! The first one is always very sweet.

Very nice write-up, and well played. Btw, +1 to Attract, it's an incredible skill. I even still use it on my fully decked out SC Venomancer.

SlashRox likes this.
  12. SlashRox

Thank you all for your kindness. I'm afraid I have spent the last couple of days in mourning.

With all the RFL hype, I tried my hand at some Cow runs. Actually, all but the 'run' part. I picked up most items in order to satisfy my gambling needs, which aimed at a +2 necro circlet (which I never got, but I did score a +2PnB that saw use for maybe 20minutes). All was fine and dandy.

On a 1-off Countess run I actually found a cool wand:
    Screenshot009.jpg

But on one of my casuals moo runs I paid no attention to Waheed's death (really, pretty common) and just tried to finish the cow pack on my own. Oh boy, I didn't notice the deadly combo of the auras.
    Screenshot015.jpg

And that will be the last of MrBean's screenshots. Poor lad, he was 1 hit killed and the RNG block gods didn't play to our favour. It took a SINGLE cow to split off the 'attracted' packs and that was it. Really, I should have noticed Fanactism + Might and aborted the run.

Guardianship was short lived and I don't know if I have it in me to achieve it again.:confused:

13. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Deep condolences! :(

14. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

:eek: :eek:
    Of course you have, and this time there will be no cow left standing!

Zyr and Fruit like this.
  15. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Ouch, condolences :(.