Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian La Bruja: Hydra Sorceress (with a cold streak)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JoeBruce, Sep 18, 2018.

1. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Howdy.

This Guardian thread has been a bit on the back-burner for while. I kept a thread of her journey through hell going which finished on August 25, but I know she won the title at least a few weeks before that. Of course, with the habitat of folks to wait years(!) to post their Guardian threads nowadays I suppose I'm ahead of the curve.

Before I start swapping her gear out, I figured I should make the thread with all her current stuff and stats. Note that this character played as single-pass, untwinked. Aside from having to clear some monsters when back-tracking to a dungeon (via waypoint at the start of a new session) now and then, I played through and killed (almost) everything once. She used an extended stash via GoMule. I did end up hot-muling 1 Gheed's charm - although it was garbage and the replacement much better, I just can't bring myself to toss it. So yeah, she found 2 Gheed's.

Name: La_Bruja
    Class: Sorceress
    Experience: 1218439886
    Level: 86

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 77/80
    Dexterity: 206/224
    Vitality: 202/202
    Energy: 35/45
    HP: 569/802
    Mana: 205/231
    Stamina: 351/351
    Defense: 51/648
    AR: 980/1094

Fire: 172/132/72
    Cold: 178/138/78
    Lightning: 183/143/83
    Poison: 169/129/69

MF: 123 Block: 75
    GF: 253 FR/W: 33
    FHR: 61 (Breakpoint @60!) IAS: 0
    FCR: 68 (Breakpoint!)

Her resists oscillated slightly towards the end of Hell as new charms were found and new combos were made. Sometimes they were all maxed, but sometimes one or two had slightly lower (mainly fire and poison, as shown).

I started the character thinking of 2/3 block, but she passed that and I felt that 200 base vitality should be good. By the end she had max block. In fact her final level she had 2 extra stat points so invested those into Vitality. That was helped with some decent rings and a 2-socket Heater in late Hell. For a single-pass character I think she came out pretty solid, stat-wise.

Fire Bolt: 1/5
    Warmth: 1/5
    Inferno: 0/0
    Blaze: 0/0
    Fire Ball: 15/19
    Fire Wall: 0/0
    Enchant: 1/5
    Meteor: 0/0
    Fire Mastery: 20/24
    Hydra: 20/24

Charged Bolt: 0/0
    Static Field: 10/11
    Telekinesis: 1/2
    Nova: 0/0
    Lightning: 0/0
    Chain Lightning: 0/0
    Teleport: 1/2
    Thunder Storm: 0/0
    Energy Shield: 0/0
    Lightning Mastery: 0/0

Ice Bolt: 1/4
    Frozen Armor: 1/4
    Frost Nova: 1/4
    Ice Blast: 1/4
    Shiver Armor: 0/0
    Glacial Spike: 1/4
    Blizzard: 1/4
    Chilling Armor: 0/0
    Frozen Orb: 20/23
    Cold Mastery: 1/4

I really love the Hydra Sorceress build. I have one in softcore at level 89. The ideal gear (in my opinion) is Tal Rasha's set. Toss on some Magefist, good rare boots and rings, then decide what shield you want. But if I ever find all of that (currently missing Tal's armor), she was going to have to earn it. (In fact, I found Tal's amulet with another character while La Bruja was questing.)

I generally just do max Hydra/Fire Mastery/Orb, 10-12 into Static Field, the rest into Cold Mastery. This time I decided to pump up the Hydras. Just for fun. Static Field is because everything (not lightning immune) dies faster, and it gives me something to cast (besides Glacial Spike) during spell cool-down. Did I mention I really love this build?

The Journey:
    As mentioned, the latter third was documented in a thread. What more do you want? I'm really glad I made her to Guardian, as I've had two previous characters of the same build (plus two twinked javazons) that perished in the late game over the past few years. I don't play much, so it's a big deal to get a single-pass character to Guardian. It takes a lot of time to full-clear everything.

She should have been dead on a few occasions, including getting myself into a terrible spot in the final (false) Tomb of Tal Rasha. Short version: I had to teleport into the unknown, wound up surrounded by beetles and Urdars, but made it out a town portal after blocking an Urdar hit with only ~70 hit points remaining. Plus she almost got 1-shot by a zombie in Act 5 ice caves - that would have been a really disappointing death.

I have to go make dinner or I might get myself into trouble! Might edit this later and add more (and make the inevitable corrections or parenthetical additions).

Kitteh, TopHatCat64, T72on1 and 6 others like this.
  2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations! Glad it didn't take you years :D

3. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Grats! That spanish name ...

4. WilsonFisk

WilsonFisk Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Congrats on the Mat! I've been strongly tempted to make a Hydrasorc for a while now, now even more so after seeing how well you liked it. :)

5. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats!

Future plans with her?

6. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations again, and thanks again for the chronicle of La Bruja's journey. :)

7. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats !!! Hydra Sorcs are indeed a lot of fun. I also made one combined with Nova some years ago, although admittedly they need far better gear to work well.

8. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats again, very fun character and great write-ups.

The closest I ever made to guardian was almost the same build, except without the extra points in static. I got careless entering the Canyon of the Magi the first time, and was jumped by some extra fast / fanaticism cats. As they are CI, I couldn't set up a proper net of hydras and ended up getting swarmed and locked in hit recovery. Put me off from hardcore for several months, as I recall. Still meaning to rebuild her one day...

WilsonFisk likes this.
  9. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Hydra sorcs are so fun - my favourite Guardian is a hydra/orb sorceress :D

10. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for all the comments. I was going to list out all of her gear, but instead will just highlight a few items. The full list is in that progress thread.

Helm:
    I wore a 3-socket helm with perfect topaz for most of the game, but at the end of Act II put on this little thing I picked up at the end of nightmare. Unfortunately Larzuk only put in one socket:

La_Bruja's Volcanic Circlet of the Squid
    Circlet
    Defense: 21
    Durability: 35 of 35
    Required Level: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xdfc85d62
    Item Level: 62
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +3 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)
    +111 to Life
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Perfect Ruby

I had it stuffed with a topaz for a while, until I got to the Ancients fight. It was a really nice find and she enjoyed the extra damage and life very much. It probably saved her from that 1-shot zombie hit in Act 5.

Wand:
    I really struggled to find a good orb for her, and the imbues from Charsi were not great at all. In the Pit this dropped and she used it for the rest of the game:

Suicide Branch
    Burnt Wand
    One Hand Damage: 8 - 18
    Durability: 15 of 15
    Required Level: 33
    Required Strength: 25
    Fingerprint: 0x1e5d7690
    Item Level: **
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +1 to All Skills
    +50% Faster Cast Rate
    +40 to Life
    Increase Maximum Mana 10%
    All Resistances +10
    Attacker Takes Damage of 25

Also a solid find. She found several good charms, including two +1 cold skillers and 2 Gheeds (the second was +37% MF). She also found a Hone Sundan in nightmare which the Mercenary really loved and used for more or less the entire game. Her gloves were store-bought (26 poison res, 22 MF) and she had decent rare belt and boots (+hit recovery, resists, faster run). She found a few magic rings towards the end with big +dex boosts that helped with max blocking.

As for future plans, I think I will outfit her in the best gear available from my stashes and run Worldstone Keep. Just for fun. I have an Ohm rune sitting around that I might use to make a Call to Arms (my first) and give to her. Most of my other characters use their weapon switch for teleport, but she is more or less empty-handed on that switch. She is a capable killer, and with a sturdier Merc and some more +skills she can be a good item finder.

Zyr and Kitteh like this.
  11. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations on the Guardian and the drops!

12. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I have a habit of getting related skillers on characters. Lyrella (CB/FO) got 1x cold and 1x light during her guardianship. Then she deeds them both, but still...