Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian Jolt, the Summoning Elemancer, HC vanilla untwinked single-pass

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Insane Wayne, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

Guardian Jolt, the Summoning Elemancer, HC vanilla untwinked single-pass

Presenting Guardian Jolt, the Summoning Elemancer! Detailed chronicles of his adventure through Hell can be read here. Jolt full-cleared Hell Difficulty using a team of mages (including an Iron Wolf) and a fire golem. Physical damage was restricted to the point of insignificance. 99% of damage was elemental (non-poison), enhanced with the Lower Resist curse.

Guidelines: HC, vanilla, solo, untwinked, single-pass, full clears. GoMule allowed as an extended stash. No ESC to escape death.

Stats:
    Level: 85
    Str 108, Dex 36, Vitality 358 (1100 life), Energy 37 (330 mana)
    Resists: 70/56/75/-36

Skills:
    20 (+13) Skeleton Mastery. Mage synergy.
    1 (+13) Raise Skeleton. I raised skeletons for anti-resurrection corpse disposal, and as helper tanks to flank the fire golem. Their damage was very weak.
    1 (+13) Clay Golem. Rarely used, but allowed when I needed an uber-tank or slowing. Its physical damage was negligible.
    20 (+13) Golem Mastery
    20 (+13) Raise Skeletal Mage. 13 mages. The heart and soul of this build.
    1 (+13) Summon Resist. 62% resist-all.
    20 (+17) (cast in town) Fire Golem.

1 (+4) Amp Damage (banned)
    1 (+4) Weaken, IM, Life Tap (never used)
    1 (+4) Terror, Decrep (occasional use)
    5 (+4) Lower Resist. -54% enemy resists. Jolt's favorite curse, he loved to spam it.

Poison/Bone Skills: banned

Minion damage stats:
    Fire Golem: Life 7749, Fire damage 978-1072.
    13 mages, each with 1200 life.
    Lightning mage: 48-462 damage.
    Fire mage: 292-296 damage.
    Cold mage: 166-169 damage.
    Poison mage: low damage, but the 490 sec. duration was very useful for PMH.

Gear:
    Golemlord's Unearthed Wand. Created via chippie reroll. +3 to Summoning, 2 sockets, with fire resist and cold resist jewels.
    rare Fetish Trophy. A surprising gift from NM Anya, socketed with PDiamond: +2 necro skills, 34% resist-all, +8 Str, MDR 2.
    Golemlord's Coronet of Measure. +3 Summoning, useless suffix, socketed with Ort, Larzuk only gave me 1 socket. I gambled this surprisingly early.
    Silks of the Victor Ancient Armor. +1 skills, socketed with PTopaz. I found neither the Skin of the Vipermagi, nor the common Spirit Shroud. I needed +skills, therefore I went with Silks. Unfortunately I had to pump up Str for this.
    Cobalt (26) Demonhide Sash of the Whale (93).
    rare Leather Gloves. 9% fire resist, 23% lightning resist, 8% MF.
    rare Mesh Boots. 34% fire resist, 30% cold resist.
    Golemlord's Amulet. +3 Summoning. This is where I spent ~8 million gold, which I'd been saving since late NM. I scored numerous +3 tree amulets before I finally got it.
    rare Ring. 30% lightning resist, +12 Energy, +2 Dex, Replenish Life +4.
    The Stone of Jordan. Dropped from an Evil Urn pack on the Frozen River, Act 5 Hell. Always open evil urns! :yes:

Weapon Switch:
    War Staff of Teleportation. Level 3 Teleport, 41 charges. Absolutely critical for efficient placement of mages, I used it very often.

Flux, the Lightning Mage:
    Culwen's Point War Sword. +1 skills, 20% FHR.
    Wall of the Eyeless Grim Shield. 20% FCR. Upgraded for defense boost.
    rare Circlet. 20% FCR, 14% fire resist, +9 life
    Stealth Dusk Shroud. 25% FCR, FHR, FRW. Excellent (and comfortable) mage armor.

Helpful town items:
    Golemlord's Grim Wand. +3 to Summoning Skills, +3 Fire Golem staffmod.
    Magefist Light Gauntlets. +1 to Fire Skills. Yep, this works for Fire Golems! :thumbup:
    Bahamut's Ring. Without it, I couldn't cast the fire golem.
    Gull Dagger. Often equipped in the late stages of Hell.

Rare Finds:
    Stone of Jordan
    M'avina's Diadem
    Bloodmoon Elegant Blade
    Tal Rahsa's Swirling Crystal
    Bane Ash
    Witchwild String
    Vidala's Ambush Leather Armor
    Crimson Jewel of Bliss (+15 to Minimum Damage)
    5 Black Hacks (who wrote their own updates)
    Cunning Amulet of Life Everlasting (19)
    Master's Circlet of the Lamprey
    Chromatic (27) Amulet of Nirvana (28)
    T-God's Vigor
    Soul Drainer Vambraces
    Gavel of Pain
    6 skillers
    Items with great names.

Comments:
    Although Jolt was not a powerful build, he was perfectly capable of clearing Hell at p1. Tele-bombing allowed the mages to concentrate their fire effectively. This was among the safest of the odd builds I've tried. With a durable golem and defensive curses available, I was able to survive the dangerous boss packs and stairtraps.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Re: Guardian Jolt, the Summoning Elemancer, HC vanilla untwinked single-pass

Congratulations Wayne again! :flowers:

Those minion damage numbers, oh my, it would've taken years from me to Guardian a char like that. Very nice job, as usual.

What's next? Meleesorc with unspent stats and skills? :rolleyes: :wink:

3. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

I have already congratulated you Wayne but what the hell another one wont hurt :congrats:

4. Schmaleop

Schmaleop IncGamers Member

Congrats IW!

I was lurking in your thread a lot and it was a great read.

I have a question. Did you ever consider using Revives on caster only enemies? It's something i'm pretty sure I didn't see in your thread.

If they were considered, what was the reason for not taking that option?

5. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Congrats IW, SoJ is just godly compared the raiments most of your Guardians get around in

6. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Nice ending to Jolt´s career, and nice write-up. Jolt´s mage army would eat Freddie´s mage army for breakfast.

I have found two Stones of Jordan, but neither was used as an equipped item.
    - the first was for a Mojomancer, who needed resists more than +skills and mana (SoJ was used to make a socket in the merc´s rare circlet)
    - the second was found in the 'When it rains, it pours' tournament, in NM Ancient Tunnels, a non-sanctioned loot area (so drops from there were restricted from use).

7. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

Great read (this thread as well, but foremost the progress thread) Insane Wayne! congrats on yet another guardian.

dude... that's... something... dedication perhaps? if i'd found it, i would've quit the tournament and muled it ASAP.

/io

8. Xdeathfire

Xdeathfire IncGamers Member

Great read through your progress thread and congrats on the Guardian

I don't know how you have the patience and can remain vigilant enough to get through the game with the character. I deleted a javazon simply because LIs were too much of a pain to kill with freezing arrow...

9. Insane Wayne

Yes I did consider it. I was going to allow revives, but only if they cast pure elemental non-poison damage, and there are very few of those. I would've done it if I had +Revive on my gear, but it never happened. I really didn't have spare skillpoints to play with, until very late in the game. By then, I was boosting Lower Resist. As it turned out, I faced tons of mages in Act 5 Hell. It would've paid off to use some of them.

Jolt's SoJ was my third found in a tournament, and 4th overall IIRC. My S/U barb also used one. One of my zon's found one, and used it to punch a hole in her rare hat. And then the hat was promptly replaced by a Shako! SoJ down the drain! :whistling:

10. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Very nice work! Very nice writeup as well. I don't think I could ever use a soj to socket a rare, unless that rare was rarer (and better) than a soj :crazyeyes:.

Would you recommend fire golem to help out with killing? I'm doing an untwinked poisonmancer and once those 60 skills are done, I'll have a couple more in curses, but the rest will need spending.

11. Immortal_Slayer

Immortal_Slayer IncGamers Member

Congrats on the guardian! Your progress thread was a great read, especiallyh the diary entries from the Black Hacks. Now go for gold in your Midas tournament! (no pun intended)

12. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

@skoolbus - excuse the butting in, and Wayne will no doubt be able to give you a very informed answer, but my observations would be that

1. FG will most likely attract too much attention for your untwinked poisonmancer to be entirely comfortable.
    2. CG would be the better bet, for tanking/slowing/re-castability purposes. Gumby certainly worked well for me with my (Trang-Oul) poisonmancer.

Still, a FG would make things interesting for you ... why not? :party:

13. Insane Wayne

@skoolbus - LozHinge is correct, FG is inferior for defensive purposes and costs too much mana. Plus, it requires way too many +skills just to achieve meager damage. I was casting lvl 39 golems w/ skill shrine. Even then, its damage was only ~1100. I appreciated it because he was part of my theme, but considering my 40-point FG/GM investment, the returns were less than spectacular.

14. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input you guys.