Guardian Izzor the leapfrog

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Muahahahaa (evil megalomaniac laugh)! I finally beat the game without any casualties!

My first Barbarian guardian, Izzor of the leaping frog tribe, and Wulfgar, the undefeated hireling!

Statistical equipment and such
Bild 0 Equipment.jpeg
Bild 0 Mercenary.jpeg
Bild 0 Statistics.jpg

I took a lot of pictures of the Barbarian travels. I'll post them a few at a time. So it will be like a story where everybody knows how it will end. Which I think is good because too great surprises can be severely shocking. As usual I played patch 1.13 completely vanilla, no rune word mod or extended stash for the poor northlanders.

Part I
The UMT (United Mercenary Troops) basic survival guide for the informed hireling of today

1. Avoid irresponsible characters such as Amazons.
2. Avoid irresponsible players such as Maltatai that forget to turn the player setting down from 8 before engaging dangerous walking trees.
3. Enter into service of a broadly built meat wall...hrm, melee character, such as a Barbarian.
4. Remember that employer stupidity and gullibility are tools to use rather than obstacles for the modern informed hireling.
5. Allow the meat wall to engage the enemy and draw all the attention of critically lethal creatures such as normal Diablo while you stand at the side in silent amusement.

Maltatai: What!? Telash!? Out of my thread!

Maltatai: Now then, I am happy to present the leaping frog tribe Izzor. The frog tribe is much cooler than the dull Wolf and Bear and whatever weapon mastery tribes. Their signature attack move is leaping. All the time. Very good for staying in one piece. All the time.

Clearing the game without ever losing the hireling is and has been the ultimate achievement for me in Diablo II for several years as earlier I considered it utterly impossible. I have gotten [post=8661818]close[/post] a couple of times [thread=922317]before[/thread], and also [post=8667119]maddeningly extremely close one time[/post].

I don't recall ever seeing a guardian thread or walkthrough that mentions such a goal so I guess it's an eccentricity that people generally don't care about. I was in any case very happy to finally have one comrade make it through, and Izzor and Wulfgar cooperated really well facing all sorts of enemies side by side.

Izzor: In Hell we started to run into the hard stuff that you don't want to get close to if you have a choice. Wulfgars mask and skin armour saved our hides against the lightning enchanted creepers. We started to see the really severe stuff in the crypt and mausoleum with conviction and high physical resistance.

In Act II things were sometimes outright ridiculous and constant leaping was absolutely necessary to stay in one piece with hordes of mages and stacked enchanted bosspacks and whatever nasty beetle breeds you can imagine. Places like the Ancient Tunnels and Palace Cellar were unnerving as many a mercenary have met their doom there.

Bild 1.jpeg
Wulfgar: In one tunnel we faced one weirdo called Bane Shifter. That name was really spooky because once we had nailed it, the creature went all "if you strike me down I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" on us and returned shortly after. Same colour and all.

Duriel had a bad day. We found a combat shrine before his little burrow and Izzor used it just before we went in. Like in the tales of old, it was not Duriel but other monsters that were the most dangerous, like Ancient Kaa. I went in while Izzor stood shaking with his back turned.

Bild 2.jpeg
Izzor: We were far from done, though, because we had stomped down Duriel in one of the earlier tombs we found and there were many tombs to clear after that. These heaps of skeletons and poisonous mummies and unravelers are just the big pain of the close range warriors world. And don't get me started on the sarcophagi.

In one room here there were two boss packs of unravelers and one was this totally insane creature with the total maximum of corpse explosion enhancement. Not a fight I was sad to stay out of. Finally we could leave the dried desert and go on to the meaty leeching living jungle, the promised land of glitter and riches that is Lower Kurast, if you can get past an overcharged Stormtree guarding it. Promised land, yeah right...that mockery was worthy of Duriel!

Bild 3.jpeg
Wulfgar: Strange forces circulated over Kurast, wrapping me in a their hiding cloak of transparent nothingness. Fair enough, we would use every advantage we came across. That became along, long and exhausting trek all the way down to Mephisto. Like Duriel, he had the disadvantage of a combat shrine too close to his lair...

It's hard to say if the invisibility was really an advantage since Izzor had less opportunity to fight as he had to leap more of the time. Certainly a predictable enemy behavior to counter, at least, so it was easy to think of how to deal with it. Just before going, or jumping if you wanted to build on your tribal image, to hell we did after all manage to grab a nice lucky charm from Lower Kurast.

Bild 4.jpeg

Part II
Wulfgar: In the grey dust heap known as the burning hells we met the doom knights that were rather dangerous when supported by their bosses. Luckily we had raided Lower Kurast a bit before and gathered some extra equipment. Izzor had a new charm with fire resistance and stability and an amulet that added less resistance than the one before but some welcome damage reduction.

Izzor: The foes damage is first cut in half by my battle cry and that makes integer reduction quite notable as only a small amount of the damage is left to reduce, compared to percentage damage reduction. It also proved quite useful later against fast physical attacks like Diablos firestorm that deals physical damage every frame (a frame is 1/25th of a second).

Wulfgar: We know these facts thanks to the great frog shaman.

Izzor: Obviously.

Wulfgar: That is why the frog tribe is more tactically apt than the other tribes.

Izzor: Our expectations were high before the hellforge and for once in many characters careers it did not disappoint! I had until know wielded my trusty sword empowered by the grace of the king - easily obtained and decent power. Now we promptly removed those and added some more interesting content.

Wulfgar: We both wield legend swords which are the fastest, if also weakest, of the two handed blades and that is very useful along with the crushing blow from Izzors helm and the lightning effects from the new runes. I also benefit a lot from the speed since more speed means more hits to stun the enemy knock him off balance. Ignorance of target defence was also notable since the lazy Izzor no longer had to shout at people to be able to hit them. You could therefore say that he became quite ignorant of sound battle tactics after finding the Crescent Moon - a moon crazy lunatic.

Bild 5.jpeg
Izzor: There was one of the famous Black Hacks in hell too! And of course also the infamous types like the burning souls. They hit hard despite resistances and their lightning is pretty hard to dodge. We made for the hellforge first and then came back to clear out the earlier areas after claiming the waypoint further down.

Wulfgars: Then came a lot of pesky doom knights in the chaos sanctuary.

Izzor: And then came Lord de Seis, which was doubtless the most dangerous situation so far. I had to leap constantly to keep the group in check while Wulfgar cut them up one at a time. Leaping takes focus. You need to hit the spot right where you stand to keep the leap as fast as possible and therefore the knockback as frequent as possible. You have to watch out for accidently targeting an enemy because then you will leap following him and that can lead to too long and time consuming leaps if it moves around.

Wulfgar: Even if Izzor helf the more dangerous weapon Diablo focused on me all the time. The firestorms hurt a lot and I had to live on our purple potions. It was starting to look nasty after three potions but we managed to take Diablo down before he us.

Izzor: After going through the foothills outside Harrogath - where the amulets damage reduction totally rocked against the spike fiends - I tried to figure out a way to use the String of Ears I had found earlier without losing too much other bonuses. I had Sigons trusty belt and gloves. Eventually I settled for dropping 10% attack speed since I had recently added a jewel of fervor to my shield, so it would mostly be going back to what I was used to. Fire resistance was harder to give up, even if the new belt had magic damage reduction. You can get caught in fire enchantment explosions and after all and other hard hits where you need huge reduction of that one hit. After long bartering with Elzix he finally located an old pair of gloves from his dusty attic. Now my gear was complete!

Bild 6.jpeg
Wulfgar: The treks through the highlands weren't very dangerous. Izzor amused himself by dodging the catapult projectiles by leaping out of the way. It's such a shame that our kinsmen could not do the same.

Izzor: I know, right? That fence is like, tiny.

Wulfgar: I think it would break if we would lean against it too. One thing with all the crush beasts standing guard and such but once we had chased them away it would have been nicer to see some more initiative here.

Izzor: In the crystal ice caves we had little to fear, with the exception of vipers and buffed reanimated dead. Mostly the vipers, as the latter are usually so slow so you can spot and control them before they reach you. But the vipers strike suddenly like lightning. Luckily there were none there, and neither at the frozen river.

Wulfgar: Which is not frozen by the way but runs calmly next to the frozen banks. I would like to have a word with that cartographer some time.

Izzor: We had already encountered succubi on the plateau. In small groups their blood star projectiles seemed to just bounce off Wulfgar and be blocked by my shield most time. Down there at the river where not one but two tribes of those, perhaps gathering to play beach volleyball next to the river with their volleys of balls. These long range harpies are quite deadly if they have good tanks or chargers to protect them but alone they are weaker. And also easily taunted once you get into hearing range.

Wulfric: Izzor made many politically incorrect comments about the enemy, for example mentioning their diplomatic ensnaring skills in a derogatory manner.

Bild 7.jpeg

Part III
Izzor: In the glacial trail we finally ran into the vipers. And the reanimated hordes. That was so stupid, they serve the same tactical purpose, almost. With them were the silly bats.
The vipers weren't as dangerous as they could have been but at Bonesaw Breakers place there were no less than four other boss packs of reanimated warriors defending. One of them in the back ranks sporting a might aura...

Wulfgar: Those fellows are quite resistant to our damage and sported some nasty enchantments too.

Izzor: So this called for some deliberate tactics. Leaping can be used in several ways. The centre of the knockback is always where you land. That way you can direct the force and thereby also move the enemies where you want them. Leaping where you and your friend are is only really useful if there is an obstacle to catch enemies on, unless you are archers or just want a moments hit recovery to get away.

The best tactic is often to leap somewhere at the side of the enemy group so they disperse. Then you follow your party to leap the other enemies away so you can focus on one or two at a time. Sometimes you are forced to leap right into the enemy horde for this. This is very cool, but dangerous so best avoided when possible. Stealing individual minions from their master in this way is absolutely hilarious!

You can also alternate between leaping and swinging your weapon. Here it helps to have a fast one like our legend swords and lot's of extra speed. I could usually get away with two hits between each leap and keep the enemy in hit recovery. This does of course require and obstacle that the enemy you hit is pushed into.

On the frozen tundra there were more succubi, which were of no particular danger, along with goat men and imps. The only risky moment was when Wulfgar levelled up. When a hireling does that, the bonus hit points from battle orders are removed and he must drink a potion or be otherwise healed before his regeneration can push past the natural limits again. Obviously not very welcome in a tight spot.

Wulfgar: When we had claimed that waypoint we decided to pay the treasonous Nihlatak a visit. Izzor had great fun turning as many of his resting corpses into grim wards before they could rise. We had little trouble down in the first two halls although the zealots and their caster friends took some time and there were many returned skeletons that were quite resistant. In the third hall, however, we were welcomed by the dreaded hiss of the tomb viper...

Izzor: The great weakness of leap is that ranged combatants befit from getting away from you, so if there is no wall behind them you will have to think twice before using that approach. Also, being knocked back offsets the luring effect of taunting enemies. This was especially true with tomb vipers and their dreadful clouds, dealing about half a hundred physical damage each frame (that amount multiplied by 25 each second). However, should they run into a hireling equipped bedecked in Sol rune plate and helm, the clouds deal only about a meekly fifth of their damage. They were still quite unnerving and we took great care to taunt them as much as possible to distract them from unleashing their poison clouds. In melee they are fragile if you can only survive the clouds and charge attacks.

Wulfgar: In the first alcove we encountered Nihlatak. We had to be extra careful to lure out his minons, including a group of tomb vipers, and make sure their corpses were thoroughly messed up so they could not be raised again. It took a long time but went fairly well but we got hit once and Izzor lost a third of his health. I engaged the remaining minions while Izzor jumped at Nihlatak who tried to escape with his teleporting. When cornered, he was of little danger without his underlings.

Izzor: Just like Duriel, Nihlatak turned out not to be the most dangerous foe around the place. When we had cleared the second alcove our eyes fell on something that would freeze the heart of the boldest.

An evil urn.

Now, tomb vipers are lethal enough when you can see or hear them from a distance and do not have any enchanted leaders commanding them. Now add that and the group appearing potentially in your face. Needless to say, we were not optimistic.

What preparation can be done then when meeting tomb vipers like this? Not too much. Well, most of all we needed time to react so we could retreat to Harrogath through a portal and come back to lure out smaller parts of the group. So I used my sword to summon us five spirit wolves. Each would perhaps at least attract one projectile instead of us.

They hissed at us, their dreaded sound filling the air. The wolves whimpered and I cast a town portal as fast as I have ever cast anything. We survived!

We went back down through the waypoint and stairs. Approaching through the left path north I taunted in each and every direction to attract the minion vipers. They followed us down, one or two at the time, too. We were making it! Distracted from the taunting, they thought of neither charging nor hurling their poison. Then their leader was left, the arch-viper itself, the Black Snarl. His hiss was truly fierce. His strengths were even worse! A fire enchanted and extra strong viper! All missing would be a might or conviction aura, or maybe lightning enchantment or speed... This was serious. He was too fast for leap to work reliably and Wulfgar had got stuck hiding behind a wall to the right, out of sight in the picture.

Wulfgar: While Izzor tried to dodge poison projectiles while leaping the viper away and into the wall I advanced and closed in thanks to my Sol runes. He still hit me hard and without purple potions I might as well have ended up a corpse. No foe was ever more fearsome than the viper lord o this, the darkest of pits.

Izzor: We had survived Nihlatak and the lord of tomb vipers! We felt hope that we just maybe would be able to make it through this after all. The test of the ancients lay before us now.

Wulfgar: Many are the hirelings that have perished on the mountaintop. But we had one last trick up our sleeves. We had a teleport amulet. And we had the Skin of the Vipermagi. Just like with the evil urn, we immediately left once the enemy materialized. South, and then around to the northeast following the upper rim of the summit.

Madawc had followed closest to us and came at us alone. We managed to lure him away and corner him next to one of the great pillars, ever worried that the others would come to his aid as Madawc has the habit of falling back. But he stood his ground and despite his extra strength he was no match for our combined might! Lightning enchanted too, which was very fitting as the vanquishing of those had been a constant challenge of our journeys. Izzor switched back to his damage reduction amulet and we advanced south.

Talic was the most dangerous with extra strength and cold enchantment. We were unable to corner him where he could not whirl through us but could block his attacks and Korlic, much weaker, flanked him.

Izzor: My battle cry unnerved even such seasoned warriors but I wanted to slow them down with the Kelpie Snare too for the ultimate humiliation. That proved to be a mistake. While I got the hit in Talic hit me badly with a well timed whirl and cost me a purple potion. With sword and shield though, I cut the foul old piece of filth and refuse apart along with Korlic and Wulfgar stood strong and defiant in their pompous faces!

Wulfgar: RrrruaaAAAARRGH!!! RAAAAH!!!

Izzor: All peoples have their own fighting style. Amazons, except when impaling, battle with grace and agility, paladins with fervor and intensity and druids pound away like the lumbering oafs that they look like and are.

Barbarians fight like a bully. We leap into the enemy's formation, STEAL his minions and push him wherever we like, scare him, taunt him when he runs away, shout battle cries that makes him tremble and knock him senseless. We raise repulsive totems of the bodies of his friends, rob them of their possessions and drink their blood like water.

After the ancients had fallen there was great taunting and disregard of their illustrious position, especially so for Talic, well deserved.

Like with Duriel, there was much left to go back and explore once the ancients had fallen. In the yet unknown parts of the Ancients Way we encountered a most fierce spearwoman and her pack. Still drunk on our triumph we were slower to react and she rammed her trident deep and slowed us down - usually it is me doing that! Cursing and holy freeze is indeed a troubling combination. Unfortunately for her, it had no effect on leaping.

Wulfgar: Down in the Icy Cellar we did for the first time encounter the dangerous minotaur packs which had been mysteriously absent until now. On the other side of the first little river they pressed us hard as they were supported by gloams and we retreated and came back through the cave entrance so we would not get drawn further into enemy packs by the gloams. Now, on the contrary, it was we that were able to draw out the overconfident leader of the minotaurs. Bullheaded as he was, his grasp of tactics was as rusty as the name he went by and he charged at us alone ahead of the pack. We cut him apart easily despite his damage resistance, before the eyes of his minions.

Izzor: We then brandished his head and roared insults across the water.

Wulfgar: We are bullies after all.

Part IV
Izzor: The Icy Cellar had a superbly balanced combination of gloams, minotaurs and lastly succubi. At last Baals captains showed some reals ense of strategy and organization. The thin strip of coast along the upper side of the cave was held by a boss and champion pack of minotaurs, intermingled with succubi and a champion pack of gloams. That was slow grinding and seemed very dangerous as the ranged enemies constantly forced us deeper into the enemy formation. We went back and Izzor attempted to lure out the succubi from the southern shore. Some came but the gloams could not be lured. It would have been such a fantastic opportunity if one were a ranged attacker. Especially if one happened to have the games best bow, Riphhok.

Why the difficulty level not?

Wulfgar: Izzor must have spent half a dozen quivers or so. His poor accuracy was most amusing.

Izzor: After thinning out the ranks we approached from the west again and nailed them without much trouble.

Wulfgar: Only the Worldstone Keep was left. The first levels were fairly bland, having no doom knight packs that would have been our least favorite foes to meet. We found an interesting axe along the way.

Izzor: The last leap down to the Throne of Destruction was not through the terrible stair trap that we had expected. With immense relief we breathed out, knowing that only carelessness could stop us now.

Wulfgar: There was in fact one last critical moment as I leveled up one more time, causing my health to drop temporarily. We had been facing burning souls and had we been fighting a boss pack things may have been risky.

Izzor: The warped ones and undead were most amusingly lured from teir masters and their corpses desecrated. Achmel became so furious that he charged headlong out from Baal and allowed us to dispatch him with ease. While we had worried a bit about the hydras our concerns proved unfounded as the council members were easy to goad into charging us one by one.

Wulfgar: Only Lister and his pack proved troublesome as they reacted too fast to be reliably locked into hit recovery by the leaps and could stun me for long time. Once we separated them, they were insignificant despite the strength boost.

Izzor: Baal himself was a pitiful joke after battle cry and Kelpie Snare slowing had put him in his place. I did not even need the skill boost from a shrine that I used, taking advantage of the unwisely, for Baal, short path from the waypoint and down. We could probably have taken him down on any player setting had we wished to try.

Conclusion

The main skills of Izzor are simplicity itself.

Battle orders give life and mana.
What you can't hit after striking with maxed battle cry nobody can hit and half as strong enemies are better than normally strong enemies.
Leap attack allows attacking anywhere without regard for attack speed.
Leap lets you knock out just about every enemy in the game for the price of 2 mana...

Taunt is a one point wonder often used, especially on ranged foes.
Grim ward is fun and good for when surrounded or for flank protection.
Find potion was very good when lots of unleechable enemies were around.
Find item allows corpse control.

Izzor is a remake of the first barbarian I had that managed to get past normal. Back then I thought leap attack was the coolest and whirlwind cost too much. Initially I had a bit different idea of how he would turn out. I thought that I would make it as simple as possible skill wise so I could use almost any weapon I came across. I counted on being able to shop and gamble some fairly high PDR gear with Sol runes from the nightmare countess making up the bulk of it. Thanks to battle cry I would not need to worry about attack rating and thanks to leap attack I would not need to worry about attack speed and being frozen. Battle orders, leap and taunt would add the rest of the safety. For weapon I thought I could at least gamble some huge rare maul if nothing else.

Then the loot came in the form of very conventional high attack and offense oriented stuff. Best of all was the Lem rune for treachery - I actually found another later and managed to make a passion phase blade just to try it out. And the ultimate tool of boss fighting that goes by the name of Kelpie Snare! And the equally ultimate Riphook. Quite lucky. Legend swords are quite common in early hell and among the easiest elite weapons to find in late nightmare. Weak but fast. Guillaumes faces offensive mods helped a lot, as did the high blocking. Battle cry does work wonders with PDR since the remaining damage can be almost negated but damage reduction benefits everyone, no matter how equipped. The blocking was quite helpful too. I am often skeptical to relying on blocking too much since you will get hit sooner or later anyway and that hit can be enough if you don't have enough other protection. Barbarians have so much life though, not to mention the battle cry in this case, that the hits that go through generally pose little threat on their own.

With the blocking came a change of tactics too. With the maul I intended to leap between groups and spread battle cry when landing and then be off - like a charger alternating between enemies. Now there was no need to minimize contact with the enemy and then it was better to be more stationary so that no more groups were alerted. Also, leap rather than leap attack proved to be the most important offensive skill.

Izzor is the strongest tank I have made so far and could probably not be better except by shifting points from leap attack to concentrate. Wulfgar was superb like all the other Barbarian mercenaries of my characters (that stun!) and kicked around enemies that would have eaten every town guard for breakfast. It really felt like playing as part of a team rather than with a minion.

Izzor and Wulfgar must now move on and support one another through new tests of courage. Knees shake, throats parch and Icehawk Riftwings pack of gloombats are flying around in the belly as heavy hammer strikes echo from the stone walls.

Over and out!

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats on the guardian, and major congrats on keeping your merc alive !!! That is a cool feat. Certainly not something I would think of.

And thanks for the write-up. Hilarious, very entertaining !

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
This is amazingly awesome.
Congrats. Can't wait for Part 2.
Thanks! Part 2 is added.

Congrats on the guardian, and major congrats on keeping your merc alive !!! That is a cool feat. Certainly not something I would think of.
And thanks for the write-up. Hilarious, very entertaining !
Thanks! Hear the words of hireling unions of today and protect our unheard friends! Maybe that would make an interesting tournament? Basically, everything is allowed but you must clear all areas and not lose your mercenary.

How about the adventures of two untwinked barbarians?;)
Great writeup.
:eek: One book at a time, now...

But since you mention it, I have had a loose idea of doing a warhammer themed quartet of barbariens, since they seem so obviously inspired by the chaos warriors in that universe. It would look something like this, with colour themed armour and so on:
knockback, slow, PDR, MDR, prevent monster heal

Haargroth, chosen of Khorne
20 frenzy
10 double swing *
20 berserk
20 battle orders
7 natural resist
1 warcries
1 axe mastery
malicious axe
bone helm or red great helm

Vanga, chosen of Nurgle
20 concentrate *
20 battle orders
20 berserk
13 natural resist
1 warcries
1 grim ward
1 mace mastery
1 pole arm mastery if finding scythe
amplify damage (infected wounds and fever) mace or scythe
poison damage
green armour and helm and tower shield

Segestes, chosen of Slaanesh
20 whirlwind
10 throwing mastery
20 battle orders
20 sword mastery *
7 natural resist
5 increased speed
1 warcries
gothic shield
throw offhand dagger
spectral hit if possible
purple great helm

Volkmar, chosen of Tzeentch
20 berserk
20 battle orders
20 stun *
13 natural resist
1 warcries
1 pole arm mastery
1 axe mastery
frost nova armor
cursing
woestave or staff or crescent moon
passion and zeal if possible
processing effects
Don't really have the time though. But it would look cool I think.

Epic write up and great idea
Thanks!

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Great, great write up. I especially liked the social media joke. And congrats on the accomplishment!

Leap is a fun skill to build around -- I made a Passion-based leaper, and with the war cries, it was a fun and different play style from other Barbs that I'd built.

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Part two definitely delivered. Excellent work!
Part III is now posted.

Congratulations! Are barbarians the hardest to get Guardian?
Thanks!

I think paladins should be the hardest to guardian due to their lack of own ranged crowd control skills - conversion and smite are awesome but require a dangerous melee range... On the other hand my first guardian was paladin which sort of seem to contradict my statement. Barbarians are hard in the way that they are very dependent on finding a strong weapon and have few non-physical attacks.

Ultimately it is all about playing style. Get yourself a Nadir circlet and teleport staff and you can shut down pretty much all opposition with any character if you need to.

Great, great write up. I especially liked the social media joke. And congrats on the accomplishment!
Leap is a fun skill to build around -- I made a Passion-based leaper, and with the war cries, it was a fun and different play style from other Barbs that I'd built.
Thanks!
Does the SPF count as social media, or is it too old for that?o_O
Passion and war cry should be great together I think, so you don't rely on something overridden by passion curses. What did you use for crowd control? Or was the runeword itself enough?

Hilarious second part !! And that light res pdr amulet ... ? Tremendous :).
Yeah, that was not so far from the legendary chromatic of life everlasting. Extremely useful thing.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
According to my notes (which are more accurate than my memory, it seems :rolleyes:), I didn't actually use War Cry. Instead LeapFrog (har har) had 1 pt in Howl, and 5 pts based on +skills, when he got swarmed. But he mostly relied on Leap itself for the knockback and the un-interruptable attack from Zeal to keep things moving. Berserk from Passion was available for PIs. I used an ATMA bugged eth Balrog Blade, so damage was pretty good with Fortitude armor.

But the reason I remember this character was because using Leap was really fun. It was totally different from the Zerkers, Whirlers, or Frenziers that I had played. And Zeal with a Barb = awesome.

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
If you zeal with two weapons, do you always swing with the main hand weapon?

The last part is now posted! Hope you like the endgame quest, the true test of courage.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
If you zeal with two weapons, do you always swing with the main hand weapon?

The last part is now posted! Hope you like the endgame quest, the true test of courage.
Yes, you always swing with the main weapon. Passion in the off-hand was just there for the +1 Zeal.

Will read the last 2 parts tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the very entertaining and informative write-up! Great work!

And congrats on the Guardian and taking Wulfgar all the way to the end!
Hope he has luck with Charsi! And don't forget to take an advantage yourself if they end up with an affair. I mean, she just might do some great imbues while that, who knows.

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member
Great presentation and very difficult to keep a merc alive, especially with succubi in act V. They shred my mercs quickly. Well done! I also find Paladin guardians to be the hardest, even though I have more of them than any other. I suppose it is because I try a lot more with them.

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, you always swing with the main weapon. Passion in the off-hand was just there for the +1 Zeal.
Will read the last 2 parts tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
Interesting.

Thanks for the very entertaining and informative write-up! Great work!
And congrats on the Guardian and taking Wulfgar all the way to the end!
Hope he has luck with Charsi! And don't forget to take an advantage yourself if they end up with an affair. I mean, she just might do some great imbues while that, who knows.
Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Great presentation and very difficult to keep a merc alive, especially with succubi in act V. They shred my mercs quickly. Well done! I also find Paladin guardians to be the hardest, even though I have more of them than any other. I suppose it is because I try a lot more with them.
Thanks! PDR is the way to go against succubi (huuuge difference) but it does of course leave you open to gloams and stuff.

For me it has been skeletal mages and archers in Act II being the worst, as well as Hell Duriel and of course the ancients. Diablo is very dangerous too but his animations are so dramatic that he becomes predictable and you can counter by teleporting or portalling from his horrible firestorm, for example.

JoeBruce

Diabloii.Net Member
Great thread and write up. Congratulations on the guardian... and whatever you call a mercenary that didn't die. Thanks for taking the time to do this, it was very entertaining. I know it takes a fair amount of effort to put together.

Through reading it sounded like this character was self-found - is that correct? Leap attack is such a cool skill. I have two different barbarians in nightmare using this build, so it was edifying to read about someone else's experiences and build suggestions. Masterfully done, hero!

Maltatai

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks!

Maybe if the character is a guardian the mercenary is a ward?

Yes, all self-found. I never twink my characters so I forget the need to mention that sometimes. Good luck with leap attack, I hope you can make more out of it than I was able too. I'll make another leaper some time and try to get a really huge two handed weapon to truly smash all into the ground when landing.