Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Guardian Citrina - blizz/fireball sorceress

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Online, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Online

Online IncGamers Member

Guardian Citrina - blizz/fireball sorceress

Ever since v1.10 came out I've been trying to get a guardian of each class. I usually play untwinked, single-pass and with weird, underpowered builds. Between this and various tournaments it's been a really long time (back in v1.09...) since I've done a bit of min-maxing and used a cookie-cutter build and twinked items. When I play my characters its a hard, constant struggle and getting a guardian feels like a major accomplishment. I was wondering how much easier it would be if I min-max and twink so I made this sorceress.

Decided on blizz-baller build and looked through my stashes for items. Sadly, as all of my other characters were single-pass I didn't really have a whole lot of good gear but I still scrounged up some decent items. I even traded for some gear here on forums. Having done that I actually started playing.

First 3 acts were quite slow. I was putting my skill points in fireball mostly but it still kinda sucked at killing stuff so I mostly watched my merc do the killing, providing support with teleports and static field and frost nova. When I got blizzard I started using that to actively kill things. From there I put all my points in blizzard and synergies, getting 1 point in masteries.

Starting in act 5 I was able to use some of the gear I had. I used chromatic ire staff (+3 skills, resist all +20, some FCR, etc.), stealth armor, magefists, peasant crown cap and a rare amulet with +2 cold skills. My killing power went over the roof and I just tore through rest of normal and whole nightmare in a ridicously fast manner. Before I ventured in hell I got my final set of gear - stormshield + verdungo's cord for a total 47% reduced damage and max block.

I was kinda spread thin on my stat points - ~150 stength for stormshield, god knows how much dex for max block and rest into vitality - I didn't have very much life at all, around 650. Physical attacks obviously weren't a threat but I had to take some care around elemental attackers. I also started to meet some cold immune monsters, that meant I actually had to use some some other skill rather than blizzard for the first time since act 5 normal. Meteor + fireball did the trick easily. First two acts of hell went without a problem, and I also found Vex rune at the end of act 2, which I used to make Heart of the oak runeword which was a huge upgrade from my random orb with +2 skills and some FCR. Oak sage wasn't nearly as useful as i hoped tho because monsters seemed to prefer to target it somehow and it would die all the time. Still very useful in specific situations (ancients for example).

Act 3 had lots of gloams there and I had to take a little bit of care because those thing hurt and with my low life getting cought in crossfire could be nasty. Also those little exploding things which name I forgot were annoying too. Killing one near myself would take a decent chunk of my life so I had to avoid that. No real problems apart from that, nor in act 4.

Act 5 started out interesting - my merc died right outside the gate for the first time ever (I used holy freeze btw). Bone archers + rats that shoot needles were giving him a very hard time so I just went without him because it was annoying to resurrect him. To make up for the loss of power I actually had to play the build as it was intended to - blizzard with fireball spam. Before that I didn't bother because it was too mana intensive and there simply was no need - blizzard killed everything after one click anyways. It got a bit hectic because there was ridiculous number of ranged attackers there and I couldn't afford to get hit because I'd go into blocking/getting hit recovery so I had to run around a lot dodging everything and casting spells whenever I could. Rest of the act was easy. WSK was a bit annoying because it was full of those flying things that shoot red balls that hurt. My merc again was annoying me there so I went without him. Ball&Co died without a problem. Lister was FICI so I pinned him down to a wall with telekinesis while merc killed him.

Some notable finds:

Vex rune (made into Hoto)
    Um rune (from hellforge)
    Eth bonehew (merc too weak to use. grrrr.)

Skills:

Fireball - 20
    Meteor - 20
    Fire mastery - 1

Blizzard - 20
    Glacial spike - 20
    Cold mastery - 2

Teleport, static field - 1

Stats:

Str - 143 (enough for stormshield after +str from other gear)
    Dex - 191
    Vit - 131 (~700 life after gear)

Items:

Flail "Heart of the oak" (33 resist all)
    Stormshield with Pdiamond
    Verdungo's hearty cord (+40 vit/13% DR)
    Magical tiara with Pruby (+2 skills/ 20% FRW / +38 life)
    Rare amulet (+2 cold skills/ 15 resist all / + 5 str)
    Que-Hegan's Wisdom
    Magefists
    Rare boots (20% FRW/20 CR & LR)
    Rare ring 1 (25 FR & LR/ 10 MF)
    Rare ring 2 (+5 str/ 17 FR & LR / 10 PR / 15 MF)

Various charms with resistances and life. 75/75/75/15 resistances, +8 to cold skills, +7 to fire.

Merc:

Bonehew socketed with Amn rune and -req jewel (to meet the str requirement)
    Duress armor
    Crown of thieves

Overall it was a quite new expierence to me. It was so easy that it wasn't even fun. Yeah it's quite satisfying to wipe out screens of monsters with one click but it gets old fast. I didn't have a single NDE because of glacial spike + teleport. I had a few stair traps but I always cast glacial spike when entering new area, so that freezes whomever is there and I have time to teleport away. I did find the whole twinking thing quite interesting but I simply didn't have much to choose from in terms of items. I don't see myself doing this again and I'll be back to trying complete my sept and maybe participate in some tournaments.

Thanks for reading.

2. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Re: Guardian Citrina - blizz/fireball sorceress

Nice one Online. Good find with the Vex btw. I'm making a BlizzBaller atm too but its 1.13 and she gets twinked toda max. How did Max FB and Meteor workout? I'll probably max FB and Fire Bolt btw. Cookie cutter I know but I'm not that creative.

3. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

GG on the guardian! :crazyeyes: It's threads like these that remind me how spoiled I am (and how crappy of a D2 player I am :p). Best of luck on your future endeavors.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Nicely done! Blizzball is a strong versatile build, twinked or not.

5. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Grats on the Guardian :thumbup:

6. Anaesthesia

Anaesthesia IncGamers Member

What the hell is a "matriarch"? :wink:

7. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

go away 10 chars :coffee:

(duly noted and fixed)

8. mattinm

mattinm IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian. I just re-re started a few days ago (decided to go without RWM) with a Fishymancer, and I'm already itching to get another sorceress going, as she's my favorite class by far. If I find a few +skills items, it'll definitely be a Blizzballer; if not, she'll be a pretty standard Meteorb. Blizzball is definitely my second favorite sorceress build, and she certainly does make the game "boring", but that's what I like :p.