Guardian Angel-Worth?

Shadoway

Diabloii.Net Member
WvX_leader said:
i AM a templar so i have stacked resists already... If you go above and beyond the number of resists said on your character screen, you have NO trouble with sorcs. Trappers heal me as do fellow templars [whisp for that - but they do hardly any dmg without whisp]
I conclude that you play softcore, right? If you can afford to die, then it does not matter that much. Your opponent will generally not very tough since he can afford to die also. Try some hardcore dueling, I dare you face-off with a high level sorc without anything like 90+ resist all AND stacked resist.

Megaman123

Diabloii.Net Member
WvX_leader said:
i AM a templar so i have stacked resists already... If you go above and beyond the number of resists said on your character screen, you have NO trouble with sorcs. Trappers heal me as do fellow templars [whisp for that - but they do hardly any dmg without whisp]
20k fireball, 10k blizzard, 10k traps (that dont undergo full pvp penalty), 16k average dmg from lightning, or a 2k charged strike times 5-10. 75% resist just dont cut.

I assume you duel only in public games since a templar is a very ineffective character to anyone prepared. So if you don't face peope 1 v 1 exactly you cant throw on 2 asorb rings for everyone you face.

I can kill in 1 vs 1 or pubs. its not that bad bro. there Hardly is a sorc that can kill me if i didnt make a huge mistake

Shadoway

Diabloii.Net Member
WvX_leader said:
I can kill in 1 vs 1 or pubs. its not that bad bro. there Hardly is a sorc that can kill me if i didnt make a huge mistake
To prove your point, why don't you make a Hardcore pally and see how you fare with high level hardcore pk sorc? FYI, a number of sorc's also wear GA to do baal runs.

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
WvX_leader made a good point about stacking resists though it doesn't actually argue in his favor.

75% or 95% resists are not going to matter on a character using -% enemy resists, especially if in the form of cold mastery or conviction or lower resist cursed. In these 3 cases, unless you had 100%+ stacked resists (read 75% + 100% or 95% + 100%), max resists cap isn't going to matter because everything is going to be pulled down to less then 75% anyway.

So just based on that, you might now you might think that the +15% max resists on GA is worthless since your pretty 90% resists becomes 0% (not real figures but just for the sake of argument). But this holds true for someone with 75% resists using Enigma who now has -15% resists. Enigma or GA, unless you can stack a crapload of resists or use Salvation (which essentially is stacking resists), you're gonna die fast. Orb, blizzard, FoH. whatever

So what this means that the really important figure is NET resistance. But if you can stack enough resists to get back up to 75%, you might as well make it 90%. Because 75% net resists is not going to cut it. If you have skill, it will let you survive, but I don't believe any claims that all elements heal you.

Take a hypothetical 10k fireball (yes i know it gets up to 20k but lets assume the person isn't that rich).

10000 * 1/6 = 1666 fire damage
2500 * 0.25 = 416

Tell me how someone is going to absorb 416 fire damage. If someone had a 20k fireball, they will need to deal with twice as much and at 75% resists is impossible to fully absorb. 20k FB can be absorbed with 95% resists. You ask where the extra 5% came from? You could socket it with Vex. OR you can wear waterwalks. But waterwalks helps both GA and Enigma and doesn't change things. 95% > 80% and 90% > 75%

As for GA vs Enigma, I'm already pointed out the MAJOR advantage GA has over enigma. The other is price which someone already talked about. But now lets assume price does not matter. In this instance, Enigma makes a better choice as an all-around armor.

The blocking isn't pointless as WvX_leader. It is a matter of efficiency. I don't know how to calculate this but maybe someone else does. Enigma saves you 0.75 stat points per clvl because of +0.75 str per clvl. GA saves you an unkown ammount of stat points because of 20% increased chance to block. If the unkown ammount is is 75 or greater, then we can say that GA is more efficient at all character levels. However if it is lower then 75, we can say that Enigma is more efficient only once a certain clvl is reached.

* Note GA also has 30% faster block rate but I'm not sure how relevent this is since I read somewhere that in 1.10, block rate is capped so much that fast block rates shouldn't be bothered with anymore.

GA has no good qualities after this. Enigma still provides plenty in terms of life, mana, dmg red, and MF. I beleive these features make Enigma the better over-all armor over GA.

However, against elemental attacks, there is no better counter then GA at any level of resistances if the purpose is survival.

Megaman123 said:
20k fireball, 10k blizzard, 10k traps (that dont undergo full pvp penalty), 16k average dmg from lightning, or a 2k charged strike times 5-10. 75% resist just dont cut.

I assume you duel only in public games since a templar is a very ineffective character to anyone prepared. So if you don't face peope 1 v 1 exactly you cant throw on 2 asorb rings for everyone you face.
Actually, alot of Javazons can have about 3 K CS and 2 K Phys dmg from Up Eth Titans with just a few 50PDSCs.

amishamigo

Diabloii.Net Member
Wuhan_Clan said:
Take a hypothetical 10k fireball (yes i know it gets up to 20k but lets assume the person isn't that rich).

10000 * 1/6 = 1666 fire damage
2500 * 0.25 = 416

Tell me how someone is going to absorb 416 fire damage. If someone had a 20k fireball, they will need to deal with twice as much and at 75% resists is impossible to fully absorb. 20k FB can be absorbed with 95% resists. You ask where the extra 5% came from? You could socket it with Vex. OR you can wear waterwalks. But waterwalks helps both GA and Enigma and doesn't change things. 95% > 80% and 90% > 75%
Assuming you're at the 40% absorb breakpoint, we then have
.2*416=84

Toss on a rising sun and you've absorbed it. That's what... dragonscale and dwarf stars and a rising sun? Granted it's a lot of gear to give up for fire absorb but it'll make you immune to it and still teleportable. Hell, the weapon slot is still open :p

And that absorb theoretically will negate up to about a 35k fireball... which won't be happening anytime soon :D

ik_iron

Diabloii.Net Member
amishamigo said:
Assuming you're at the 40% absorb breakpoint, we then have
.2*416=84
Unless there is some sort of weird Diablo 2 math that I am unaware of doesn't 40% absorb would be 416*.6=250, because if you absorb 40% of it that would be the amount left. I don't see why it would be 20% of the 416 it should be 60% of it right?

As far as the whole armor situation I believe that it depends on the person assuming price is no option. Obviously if you need the massive str to hold something like an storm shield it's worth it more, but as far as a caster pally goes you prolly don't need a massive amount of str so you save yourself 40 dex points in the 20% chance of greater blcoking that you can put towards str vita or whatever. Also you do have the chance to socket the GA with like a ber or something else so that can also be a factor. As far as the whole being immune to elemental tho GA is by far the better choice.

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
40% absorb means that 40% of the original damage was taken to HEAL you. So yes, in effect, you are getting hit with 60% damage but the 40% absorb from earlier will cancel out some of that 60% damage. So the final NET damage is only 20%.

Dragonscale and 2x dwarfs can get you to 40% absorb but Rising Sun only gets up to +74.25 absorb at clvl99 which means another +10 absorb is needed somewhere else. The only items that come to mind are Hellmouths and Steelshade. Admittidly, 10 damage isn't something to be worried about.

The gear needed to absorb anything greather then a 10k fireball with only 75% resists is going to cost the dueler a lot in terms of other items. I'm going to bet that the mods lost on those items isn't worth the mods lost on Enigma.

Fixie

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm a happy GA/Gaze/SS using Javazone, 95/90/95/90 resists is nice. (I play SCL, PvM only)

I found a 181 GA on Baals Minions NM, traded a 198 GA for 18 Pgems and a 197% GA for lum. So they're not to hard to get.

I'm going for my first pala build now (Avenger) who's going to use the GA as well...

sexyfool

Diabloii.Net Member
Hehehe, lotta people with a lotta time on their hands here :)

I used que hagens with my hammerdin early on but switched to GA when lvl allowed. For HC PVM hammerdin it is the best "affordable" armour I have seen or used. Plus to res is great, plus to block % is just as good. I have put no points in dex for 9 levels so its all in vita.

In hc there is no such thing as too much life.......