Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guardian #4] Cyanidous the Poisonmancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by winmar, May 3, 2008.

1. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

[Guardian #4] Cyanidous the Poisonmancer

Cyanidous
    Level 81 Poisonmancer

Skills
    +6 P&B Skills
    +2 All Skills

20 PD
    20 PE
    20 PN
    1 In every curse
    1 CG / SM / SR

16 unused skill points!
    I planned on spending these in DV and CE.
    But it turned out that 1pt Attract was enough crowd control.
    And CE was boosted to 9 with +skills. So i would very much like some suggestions!

Stats
    Strength: 60 / 65
    Dexterity: 135 / 150
    Vitality: 235 / 257
    Energy: 25 / 35

40 unused stat points.

Important numbers
    Life: 920
    Mana: 371

Chance to Block: 75%

Poison Nova Damage: 3945 - 4160 (Switch: 4765 - 4980)

Resists
    Fire: 75
    Cold: 54
    Lightning: 75
    Poison: 61

Equipment
    Weapon: Spirit (Crystal Sword)
    Shield: Whitstan's Guard (PDiamond)
    Helm: Circlet +3 P&B Skills
    Armor: Smoke (Cuirass)
    Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws
    Boots: Rare LR / PR
    Belt: Rare LR / FR / PR
    Ring #1: Rare 13dex / LR / FR
    Ring #2: Rare 11 All Res
    Amu: +3 P&B Skills
    Switch: Blackbog's Sharp + Lidless Wall (I never used this, i didn't need the extra damage)

Charms: +Life, +Mana, +Res

Merc (Holy Freeze):
    Insight (Thresher)
    Duress (Archon Plate)
    Crown of Thieves

Read-outs:
    Code:
    [highlight]Spirit
    Crystal Sword[/highlight]
    'TalThulOrtAmn'
    One-Hand Damage: 5 to 15
    Durability: 20 of 20
    Required Strength: 43
    Required Level: 25
    Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 60
    Fingerprint: 0xbe8d4d6e
    +22 to Vitality
    +103 to Mana
    +250 Defense vs. Missile
    Adds 1-50 lightning damage
    Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
    +75 poison damage over 5 seconds
    7% Life stolen per hit
    55% Faster Hit Recovery
    [B]32% Faster Cast Rate[/B]
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    +8 Magic Absorb
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

[highlight]Gale Brogues
    Mesh Boots[/highlight]
    Defense: 81
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Strength: 65
    Required Level: 27
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x828e1069
    +81% Enhanced Defense
    [B]Lightning Resist +37%
    Poison Resist +22%[/B]
    10% Faster Run/Walk
    Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

[highlight]Dread Lash
    Heavy Belt[/highlight]
    Defense: 6
    Durability: 18 of 18
    Required Strength: 45
    Required Level: 15
    Item Level: 65
    Fingerprint: 0xc3b107f8
    +5 to Strength
    [B]Fire Resist +25%
    Lightning Resist +29%
    Poison Resist +29%[/B]
    Attacker Takes Damage of 6

[highlight]Raven Touch
    Ring[/highlight]
    Required Level: 48
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0xda30624d
    [B]+13 to Dexterity[/B]
    +51 to Attack Rating
    +5 to Minimum Damage
    [B]Lightning Resist +22%
    Cold Resist +24%[/B]

[highlight]Entropy Eye
    Ring[/highlight]
    Required Level: 48
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x1d66ecd6
    [B]+26 to Mana[/B]
    +115 to Attack Rating
    [B]All Resistances +11[/B]
    2% Mana stolen per hit

Playing experience
    General
    This is my first HC character who has less than 1k Life. I decided to go with Max Block instead of full vit since Necromancers only get 2 life points per Vitality point. I thought that Max Block would add more survivability, and sincei use Whitstan's Guard i don't need to spend an awful amount of Dex to reach 75%.

This character was very interesting to play, and it involved alot of tactics. I actually walked alot, something i have never taken advantage of before. Since i had gone for Max Block i did not wan't it to be cut down to 25% because im running.

1 point Attract was all the crowd control i needed in Hell. It's not as easy to use as DV, but you need ~12-16 points to make DV's duration decent in Hell.

I used a HF Merc, but im thinking of switching to Might. Even though the slow from HF is great, i can use Decrep to slow the enemies. And with HF some enemies shattered and i could not use CE.

A regular fight
    I used alot more hotkeys then usual, and sometimes it was quite frantic. A regular fight could go like this;

I Summon my Clay Golem infront of me to get the enemies attention. Then i throw Attract on one enemy on the far right side of the pack, and on one enemy on the far left side. The golem should be positioned in the middle, and often requires a recast since he is fragile. The rest of the pack gets Decrep. Then it's just a matter om spamming PN and letting my Merc whack away while making sure Attract, Decrep and Golem is activated/alive. When there's 2-3 corpses it's time to wreak havoc witch Corpse Explosion.

I never used Poison Dagger or Explosion in Hell. PN+CE could get the job done very fast.

Poison Immunes
    Lower Resist was not a good solution to immunes. Even though it breaks them, my poison hardly did any damage to them. I hardly ever used this curse in Hell. Instead i took control of the group with Attract, Golem and Decrep. My merc could easily take down a few of them and then CE would take care of the rest.

I actually thought LR would be my most used curse, but Decrep is alot better.

Hell Ancients
    Very easy! Life Tap on two of them and decrep on the one that throws axes. My Merc could then tank them, even though i had to feed him a few Full Rejuvs. I spammed PN and kept the curses running.

Hell WSK + Minions
    I walked to keep my block at 75%. Constantly recasting my golem infront of me. If it was clear he would walk back to me, if not he would engage the enemies and and they would ignore me so i could curse them with Attract.

No Gloams until the Throne Room. DV would probably be better on Gloams then attract. Even though you have attract their lightning will pass through the attracted enemy and perhaps hit you. But i slowly took care of them, trying to cast attract on an enemy that was positioned in the back of the pack.

The minions where easy. CE is great on all the waves. Lister&Co was slowed by Decrep, and killed by Merc+CE. It did not seem like my poison did any damage to them.

Hell Baal
    This was also an easy fight. Cast the golem ontop of Baal and then Decrep. Now he is slowed and your Merc can start to beat him up. Spam PN even though it doesn't seem like it's doing a whole lot of damage. Make sure Decrep is activated all the time. 10 minutes later he was dead.

Conclusion and future plans
    Great character. Very fun to play, requires tactics. Can handle every situation in the game even with inexpensive gear. I would really recommend Max Block + Walk. Also get Attract instead of DV (or both to shut down ranged attackers even more easily).

He will be used for some Pit-running, mostly to just try him out and compare him to my Strafer and Trapper.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Re: [Guardian #4] Cyanidous the Poisonmancer

Wow good job. I plan on making one of these eventually (probably in some tournament down the road).

3. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Congrats! Be careful in the pits, thats where I lost my poisonmancer when I stopped to do some mfing before I took him to Guardian. He was extremely effective there but I got caught out by a couple of nasty packs of Archers.

Any plans for the spare skill points?

4. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

Congratz to guardian :smiley:

As for the spare points, there are several posibilities. Either you could expand radius of CE, get some synergized bone armor, but I would reccomend getting better/more meat shields.

You could invest in skeletons (see the guide here on spf), or get yourself some revives, or invest all points in golem mastery, and your clay golem will be very hard to kill.

One question, what about some nice white wand? (I don't know your hc rune pool...) With some usefull automods you can get much better weapon then spirit I think...

5. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Guardian :thumbsup:

I've finished mine some time ago, but he was using full Trang set and i need to say, it was very interesting and funny build :wink3:

Congrats :grin:

6. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

Thanks for your congratulations!

Jingizu: I have the runes for White, and i've thought about it more then once. But it seems like you can't shop for a +PN wand. But perhaps a +CE / +RS would be nice if i decide to make a summon hybrid. Any ideas what +skills i should look for and where i can shop for them?

As for the skill points i really have no idea. I started a thread a while back where i discussed it. Right then the plan was to get DV to ~12 and then the rest in CE to increase the radius. But as i wrote in the first post, Attract worked wonders with only 1 point, and my CE already got decent radius with +8 skills. And if i make white with +CE it will be even better.

BA + BP/BW (any idea wich one is best for PvM) is another option.

Im probably leaning towards a summon hybrid at this point. I will probably switch my +3P&B Circlet and Amu for +2 Necromancer Skills instead if i decide to go this route. Perhaps i can switch armor to Trang-Oul's, i think i will get the 50% LR with 2 set pieces. I can throw a RAL in there for some FR and use charms for the lack in CR. I can also socket a +2 necro circlet with Thul for CR or RAL for FR. Perhaps i will get lucky and gamble one with some +life or +res aswell.

1 Skeleton Mastery, 1 Revive and the rest in Summon Skeletons!

What do you guys think about this?

7. Reynout

Reynout IncGamers Member

Congrats on the guardian! You must have some patience to get him to Baal.

IMO, low level skeletons tend to suck, they die too fast in hell. You'd need at least 15 summon and mastery, preferably above 20.

Might I suggest going the golem route? My summoner currently has only 7 hard points in Clay Golem and 3 in its mastery, but with some +skills it is a monster. Don't expect it to kill anything, but with over 6k health, the thing just won't die.

Even though you mention attract as your main curse, I can't help but wonder how you deal with archers? Yes, you can attract them, but I find DV to give just that extra bit of protection. Especially in Hardcore.

Again, congrats on the guardian, I'd never be able to accomplish such a feat.

Cheers

8. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

You might be correct about the skeletons. If so it would only be a waste of skill points.

You're correct about DV being a better solution then Attract when it comes to archers. But if you're careful Attract will work fine. Just throw your golem infront of you to take some arrows away from you. Dodge any incoming arrows while you attract an archer in the back of the pack, on the far right or left. Then attract another one on the opposite side. Then Decrep, PN and CE.

Perhaps DV / CE is the best option for my spare skill points after all. It will give me a faster and safer solution to the most dangerous enemies in the Pits while boosting my killing speed a bit with the increased range of CE.

Anyone know where i can shop for a +CE wand to make white? Im thinking Normal Drognan? What clvl is recommended?
    I should also try to get +3 Golem wand/shrunken head and ditch the Blackbogs + Lidless.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  9. Jingizu

Jingizu Banned

Maybe one more note about skeletons... First, my poisonmancer has 14 points in skeleton and one point in skeleton mastery and is doing very well in hell. But, it is SC char and is heavily twinked (10+ to summoning skills).

But you are not going to make some uber strong army of undead, you would be a poison necro with assistance of skellies. Thay are meat shield, they don't kill very fast (read: they don't kill), you could have many of them, they will eat arrows, they will slow fast fana/curse bosspacks etc etc. They may save your life. They will die, but they could be very easily resumonned. Buy a prayer merc, he will make your army more survivable. There are plenty of possibilities...

If you want, go the CE route, these are only suggestions...:azn:

Shopping for wand? Honestly said, I don't know where are good places for buying them... Don't forget you can find a lot of then, pick every lousy white yew wand you find, they could be +3 poison nova/+ 3 skeleton mastery/ +3 summon resist for example...:)

10. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Congrats on another guardian. Looks like it was pretty fun.

11. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

My personal opinion:I hate skelies, really :tongue: If You don't have enough points in mastery, they are just too weak (even enough synergized without great gear they are simply weak :tongue:)...Speaking from my own experience, when i've seen my skelies fighting versus Frenzytaurs in Hell (and i had 20 points in Skelies + 20 in Mastery)...I know, curses will help You alot, but still...

And like Jingizu said, You need only meatshield, not warriors for killing...Therefore i vote for Revives...They are the best meatshield in the game (again my opinion) and they are cheap (pointwise)...You don't need synergize them because You don't need them for killing...

My two cents...

12. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

First congrats.

It will depend on what do you mean "hybrid". I you spend 20 in RS and SM, you will have a very strong army, but your poison skill might be a little less impressive. However, I'd like to think it is very doable, and fun play.

Even a skelly/bone hybrid would be very doable. Just look at my "white", it was for skelly army, but I don't see why it cannot be used for skelly/bone hybrid. Now, only if I can find another base weapon like that, I will surely build one.

White
    Bone Wand
    'DolIo'
    One-Hand Damage: 3 to 7
    Durability: 15 of 15
    Required Level: 35
    Staff Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 18
    Fingerprint: 0x47da0347
    +10 to Vitality
    +13 to Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced by 4
    20% Faster Cast Rate
    +3 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
    +1 to Amplify Damage (Necromancer Only)
    +4 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
    +2 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Raise Skeleton (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    150% Damage to Undead
    +3 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

@RIP: The only time I found my skelly army in trouble is when there are OKs around, and IM was casted, otherwise they stand on what ever the game can throw to them, not even the last wave can kill my skelly (sometimes, they can manage to kill one or two if they have very nasty mod).

13. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

Congrats on the guardian.

About the shopping. The best place to shop for wands is drognan in normal. I believe this limits your skill choices to lvl12 or lower I think. (may be 18) Otherwise the "pick every white wand up" policy stands.